[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ikea standing desk costs about €800 and you have a very nice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: standing-desk_2.jpg (61 KB, 542x668) Image search: [Google]
standing-desk_2.jpg
61 KB, 542x668
Ikea standing desk costs about €800 and you have a very nice big one for that.

How much money would it cost to make one yourself? And what would you use to power it?
>>
>>1005056
I prefer a very big L shaped desk, because I use my desk for lots of shit. So I guess I have to make it very big. Unless that somehow is twice as expensive as a normal one, then I could maybe change some furniture so I just have my 2 monitors and some electronic devises on it.

So I think it will need to be able to lift maybe 10 or 20kgs at a minimum, but preferably more.

Of course just with a press of a button, one to go up in height one to go down in height. And something that it automaticly stops so I dont break it by pressing up when its already at it's maximum height.

How would one power it or make this instead of spending hundreds of dollars for a custom one?
>>
>>1005057
You would need a motor to move it and some sort of raising system to lift it. Consider looking at the system treadmills use to incline and expanding on it so the range is greater. They can incline with a 200lb+ person so weight isn't an issue

You could also use something like a rack and pinion set or just a hydraulic pump.

If you're not opposed to actually doing the lifting manually you could use gas springs to offset the weight so you would only be lifting a fraction of the weight. I've also seen hanging ones where they use a block and tackle to lift it.

You could also use a hydaulic jack to lift it. Think a cheap bottle jack. You just pump it 15 times and it is at full height.

There are hundreds of ways to do it, really.
>>
>>1005057
Linear acuator would do it, but pricey and limited range of motion
>>
>>1005056

What is THAT desk used for?
>>
>>1005056
Awesome, I always wanted a desk where I didnt have to have the inconvenience of being comfortable while using it
>>
>>1005129
>inconvenience of being comfortable while using it

Or that inconvenient storage or workspace.
>>
>power it

Why are you so lazy? Could just 'power it' by hand, there are a lot of standing desks that are converted into regular desks by a hand winch, would be pretty easy to set up with the right gears.

>>1005129
The desk in OP is a bit retarded ,but there are benefits to a standing desk, many people use one for their back problems from sitting down all day and standing up is better for you, and if you get tired of standing or whatever you can always convert them back to a regular desk temporarily. Sure it's some big hipster crazy to have a standing desk, but they have their uses.
>>
Herniated disc here with upper back soreness. Was thinking of getting one of these. Lurking in this thread.
>>
>>1005056
I put my laptop over my other computer that is over a table, at the amazing cost of 0
>>
Cube rat here. I work with a raised desk everyday. The hardest part is getting through the first month or so of leg, knee, and foot pain. To mitigate the pain you need a good raised surface to place a foot and get the knee bent a bit for 10-15 minutes. The next is getting a stool that is comfortable, for a short while. A Walmart bar stool is what is use. The last and most important is a good walking / running shoe. They conform to the foot and help distribute weight to the ground better than a dress shoe. One other method that I didn't try is a standing pad. Basically a cushion carpet thing you stand on.

When I first started using a standing desk, I was forced into by location. I got a good routine going and mitigated early muscle pain with warming creams. By the end of the time being forced to use it I setup my cube for standing because it has helped a few posture issues I was having. People with serious back pain should talk to their doctor first though. I asked my chiropractor of the time and she approved.
>>
File: 1402946286250.jpg (20 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1402946286250.jpg
20 KB, 225x225
>>1005356

Find a reputable neurosurgeon, *not* an orthopaedic surgeon, and get the surgery

Then, leave the desk job for one that involves light activity

t. 100% healed from same
>>
>>1005482

Ortho spine will do the same surgery, be dedicated to spine just like neuro, and for 1/4th the price

Surgical Tech here
>>
>>1005501

also 1/4 the rigorous education

pain from herniated disc refers from sciatic nerve ergo neurosurgeon

at the very least, anon should talk to some people who've had it done and discuss
>>
>>1005519
Had upper (C3/4) disectomy and fusion. Should have done it earlier before nerve damage. Shit doesn't improve with age and it won't heal by itself.

Follow aftercare instructions no matter what you'd prefer to do.
>>
>>1005434
>doctor
>chiropractor

Pick one
>>
>>1005482
Talked to three neurosurgeons, and one orthopedic. Gist is I have about a 60% of getting 'some improvement' after surgery, and a 40% chance of getting worse. All except one recommended against getting the surgery for me.
>>
looks like with some 2x4s, 2x2s, some plywood you could make an unpowered version for under $30. You could use some carriage bolts and wing nuts through two slots in the two upright pieces to lock it to the correct heright.
why do you need a powered one anyway? arent you a big guy?
>>
personally, i would get some 2" steel angle that's at least 1/8" thick, maybe go to 3/16" or 1/4" if i could afford it

weld together some angle to make upright tracks, weld up some more angle to make right triangle brackets, one for each side maybe do three if you plan on putting a ton of weight on it and you'd need some at least another track maybe two for that middle bracket

then get buy a chunk of wooden countertop bolt that up to the brackets

and use a simple lever and clasp or lever and peg+hole setup for each side, use a few roller bearings on 3 sides to hold the brackets to the track, 2 on the front and back 1 on the side to keep it from sliding back and forth between the tracks
use some angle to offset it from the wall

yea it might look like a pile of shit, but it's your pile of shit that you built and it will probably out last your house
>>
>>1005603
They are if you are into "alternative medicine" like essential oils and acupuncture.
Or of course if you live in or near Iowa... Palmer College and all that jazz.
>>
File: man-hotel-bed-laptop-2558605.jpg (358 KB, 1300x957) Image search: [Google]
man-hotel-bed-laptop-2558605.jpg
358 KB, 1300x957
>Sure it's some big hipster crazy to have a standing desk, but they have their uses.
Can't wait for when hipsters introduce the lying desk fashion. I would take back everything bad I said about them.
>>
>>1006006
it would be a hammock mounted sideway in front of a regular desk
>>
>>1006012
if the hammock idea doesn't float your boat make an angled bench with padding, like that of an incline bench press rack
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.