[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok techies, listen up. I fucked up this mobo (MSI A170 GAMI
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: fdupmobo.jpg (221 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
fdupmobo.jpg
221 KB, 960x1280
Ok techies, listen up.

I fucked up this mobo (MSI A170 GAMING PRO). By not paying attention and damaging the socket of that thing. (Not so PRO anymore).

Now, I want to light up the RGB strip on the side of this thing and use it as sort of a painting (my failure) on my wall powered by something somehow. A somewhat frankenstein build thingy.

Tl;dr

I wanna be able to use the RGB lights on the side of this mobo to display it on my wall.
Can you help me out?
Will post results

Manual of this thing:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-GAMING-PRO.html#down-manual
>>
>Gaming pro
You deserve breaking it
>>
>>1005010
Pic of damaged socket? I'm not really sure how this is possible. I actually fucked up in a similar way, but I fucked the pins on the CPU. I sat there for 3 HOURS with a knife and plastic flat edge straightening pins. It worked.
>>
>>1005031
Modern processors are LGA, meaning that the bottom of the CPU is just pads, and the "socket" is made up of over 900 pogo-pins.

They ship with a plastic fake CPU to stop you damaging them, but you can still do it if you do something really retarded like put the CPU in at an angle and then clamp it down anyway.
>>
Jesus, what part of zero insertion force don't you understand? If you're too retarded to install a CPU, do you really want to burn down your house with a mis-wired mobo attached to your wall?
>>
>>1005010
The only thing I can think of is to cut the traces around the LEDs so you can wire them up, but these boards are like 16 layers thick so it would be pretty hard to make sure you were cutting the right/all traces to prevent a short circuit...my advice would be to just drill an LED sized hole in the board itself and stick some LED's through the board itself. Even if the existing LED's are SMT, I would still probably do this instead of using the actual LED's on the actual board.
>>
>>1005043
Except the new Intel CPUs aren't ZIFs, they're LGA to shift the cost from them to the mobo manufacturers.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.