[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /diy/. I need some tips on how to scavage this piece of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: Piteira1.jpg (199 KB, 793x1057) Image search: [Google]
Piteira1.jpg
199 KB, 793x1057
Hey /diy/.

I need some tips on how to scavage this piece of tree trunk, that is still hatched to the ground bu it's roots.

The tree is a "Agave Americana" (i'll post a pic in a bit) that someone cut to make a didgeridoo. I had the idea to use this leftover piece to make a resonance box for a stringed instrument. But turns out that trees aren't very easy to pull off the ground... Although I can get it to wiggle quite a bit.

Any tips? I don't really have a machete that I can use... I do have a saw though.
>>
File: Piteira2.jpg (307 KB, 793x1057) Image search: [Google]
Piteira2.jpg
307 KB, 793x1057
*scavenge

Here's a closer look. Sorry, the pics were taken in a bit of a rush.

Also I should mention that electric tools that produce a lot of noise are out of question.
>>
File: Agave_July_2011-1.jpg (65 KB, 427x599) Image search: [Google]
Agave_July_2011-1.jpg
65 KB, 427x599
Here's what the trees look like fully grown.
>>
Tie it with a towing strap and rip it out of the ground. This is your only option if you can't use power tools (the fuck?).
>>
>>1004702
Straight outta Dr. Seuss.
>>
Shovel

Get to digging and split the roots when you come across.

Are you sure it is still good? Dried agave doesn't have any good lumber qualities at all.
>>
>>1004702

Those are just the flowers. And they only flower once for a couple months after a few decades of growing like any other agave then die. They normally look like how they do at the base and they stay like that for anywhere between 20 and 50 years.
>>
>>1004710
It's a public place, don't want to draw too much attention...

>>1004716
I don't know, it doesn't seem too bad. I don't think it has to be too sturdy for what I want to do with it. Indian Sitars use a calabash as the resonance box and those are pretty fragile, right?

I'll give the towing and the shovel a try. Thanks guys.

>>1004718
The more you know :)
>>
>>1004721

Calabash tends to have a hard but brittle quality to the shell.

Agave tend to end up like husks when they dry out as they are primarily water and fiberos strands, check the hole at the top where they cut it to see what I mean, but if you find that stable enough for the didgeridoo then go ahead.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.