[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /diy/? Looking to get my rental back in order before we
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7
File: JNCd8aw[1].jpg (760 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
JNCd8aw[1].jpg
760 KB, 2592x1936
Sup /diy/?

Looking to get my rental back in order before we move out. When we first moved in this house, our life was chaotic. It's our first rental, we both got new jobs and a new place to call ours. Well, during the 1st month everything was okay. The 2nd month, my Dog couldn't take being home alone unattended anymore (anxiety) and decided to destroy something new. That something new decided to be our carpet the landlord put it prior to us moving in. We don't want to be shitty tenants but I also don't know how to repair this. I've watched a few YT videos but still don't feel confident to take this task on myself with some brief videos.

How do I even tackle this? I'm willing to do it myself, If I can. We have extra carpet in our garage, probably another roll or two so we have plenty of donor/samples to use.

Also, I have a hole in the wall behind a door from the doorknob. I thought the idea of a doorstop was to stop the door from creating craters in the wall? Well, this door stop didn't do that, at all.
>>
File: 0dY1HnZ.jpg (688 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
0dY1HnZ.jpg
688 KB, 2592x1936
This pic is about 5 inches to the right of the hole.
All in all, this area is right before a closet and in the middle of two bed rooms.

I was thinking maybe to cut the entire area out and then patch that entire spot but I'm not sure if that'd be easier or more work and complicated.

I'm thinking this picture can easily be patched compared to the other spot.
>>
>>1004635
>repair carpet
you could get a proper carpet guy in to patch it but you would need some carpet that was exactly the same and it would be obvious and visible
just buy a new carpet

wall is easy just fill it with plaster or i guess filler shit. allow to dry, sand then paint.
>>
File: mheDrZp.jpg (749 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
mheDrZp.jpg
749 KB, 2592x1936
And finally, I'm looking to replace this hole in the wall. Again, I'm not sure how a door stopper allowed this to happen.
>>
>>1004638
>proper carpet guy
We have plenty of extra carpet. Would it be anyway possible to DIY(myself)? I'd like to spend as least as possible but if it's out of my hand, then so be it.
>>
>>1004639
Walmart sell screen patch kits for shit like that. Just use joint compound over it and paint like normal.
>>
>>1004643
Happen to know the name of the kit?
I'll look into it. I'm glad it can be repaired.
>>
OP here again.

What is this blue foam? I'll certainly need that too, right? What's this called?
>>
>>1004635
first you will need pieces of the exact same carpet - which may or may not be near impossible to find (unless some extra remnants were saved during the initial installation). then need to cut the jagged ripped hole into a square or other polygon shape you can match with the remnant (new) piece of carpet. then need carpet glue strips (don't know the trade name for this) and a carpet gluing tool (again don't know actual name of tool). it heats up the carpet glue strips and essentially glues the pieces together from the underside. my family had a dog that did this exact same thing in our house - we had [luckily] saved several large pieces of the carpet when it was installed. we had a carpet guy come out and patch/glue it in the pieces. I watched the whole process.
other thing with carpet is there is a 'grain' to some styles. the grain on the patch needs to be orientated in the same direction for it to blend in better. in our case the pieces we had didn't cover the ripped area when the grain was matched so we had to install it with grain going a different direction. that said ya really couldn't tell unless you really looked hard for it. maybe a carpet guy could spot it but 'normal' people, no. plus it was in a basement rec room so no big deal.
>>
>>1004639
this is easy to fix.
as said, there are kits for this or you cut the hole into a square and get a piece of [scrap] drywall and cut to the same size square. get some scrap wood (or even more scrap drywall will work). glue (I use "liquid nails" type glue) scraps inside the whole (behind) and to each side to provide a 'ledge' for the square patch to attach to. I use some small clamps to hold it in place until glue sets). then glue and/or screw the patch piece into the hole - the 'ledges' will hold it flush with the surface of the wall. then use drywall compound or patching compound to fill in the seam and smooth the whole ting out with sandpaper. will likely take several applications of compound and sanding to get it all nice and flat (or nearly flat) then prime and paint as per normal.
>>
File: meshedtapped.jpg (67 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
meshedtapped.jpg
67 KB, 500x332
>>1004695
>>1004639
just google image "drywall hole patch" and you will see both the mesh patch kits and the method I have described here in pictures...
>>
>>1004691
google image "carpet hole patching" and see how ripped area is cut and scrap piece is glued in...
>>
>>1004691
We have a whole roll left over in our garage. I know we have plenty to match. I'll look up the tools for these as you said but if you happen to come across them, please let me know.

>>1004695
My gentleman! Thank you!
Combined with that kit that you and the other anon suggested with these steps, sounds like I'll be just fine.

One thing though, it used to have a wall doorstopper, it was circular in size and looked like something to stop the door knob that opens against that wall to stop from making holes but it didn't work. The landlord has them where ever door swings open against the wall to prevent damage or something but it didn't work in this door's case. I do all of the steps you provided here and then apply one on top?

>>1004698
That image is before compounding and sanding?
>>
File: doorstop.jpg (6 KB, 287x287) Image search: [Google]
doorstop.jpg
6 KB, 287x287
>>1004703
for the door stop, personally I stick with the old school design... they work. plus the kids like the springy noise they make. ;o)

this style also comes as a solid piece (no springy noises).
>>
>>1004698
The mesh stuff is shit, use paper tape so the owners don't end up with cracks where you did the repair.
>>
>>1004717
omg boing
>>
>>1004703
>We have a whole roll left over in our garage.

You're fukkin set, m8. That's the hardest part. Otherwise you're looking for closets to steal scraps out of.

Patching is a lot easier with longer pile, but if you work it with a brush well enough to blend it together it'll probably pass inspection easily.

>>1004717
>plus the kids like the springy noise they make. ;o)

Glee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oudL7Uq054M
>>
>>1004725
I've used both on DIY repairs and the mesh works much better for me. the paper needs to be embedded IN the plaster/compound meaning you have to put some plaster/compound on the seam then put the paper on then put on another layer of plaster/compound on top then try to get it all nice and flat... I imagine someone who does this for a living has no problems and could do it really fast to boot but for the DIY'r just fixing a hole, its a major pain in the arse. the mesh is a kind of fiber-glass-ish material. it is pretty darn strong. it also allows the plaster/compound to squish through and thoroughly fill the joint.
that said paper is easier to use on inside corners then mesh.
>>
File: drywall patch.jpg (36 KB, 629x624) Image search: [Google]
drywall patch.jpg
36 KB, 629x624
>>1004695
quick sketch on this process...
I have used Liquid Nails type glue to hold the backer strips in place and also to glue the patch in.
if the backer strips are wood you can use drywall screws to hold them and the patch in.
in step 6 you use paper or mesh tape and some drywall compound to fill the seam and smooth over the whole patch. then prime and paint.
>>
File: dwrep6[1].jpg (61 KB, 667x274) Image search: [Google]
dwrep6[1].jpg
61 KB, 667x274
>>1005081
I've had to patch way too many walls. I do similar but I use paint stir sticks and drywall screws. Hold the stir stick against the wall and drive screws to just shy of the wall. Butter up the patch piece and install. Sand. spray texture feathering out from the center. Sand again. Prime and paint. Only big patches get tape.
>>
>>1005096
>paint stir sticks and drywall screws.
yes, they would be perfect for this... especially those thicker kind (like in yer pic).
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.