[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So my laptop doesn't come with a CD drive, but it has this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: opticaldrive.jpg (45 KB, 650x414) Image search: [Google]
opticaldrive.jpg
45 KB, 650x414
So my laptop doesn't come with a CD drive, but it has this placeholder thing, and a cd-tray sized hole in the side. The placeholder screws came out so I can put whatever I want in there. There's access to some sort of SATA connection inside.
I'm looking for ideas for what to put inside! I don't do enough drugs to make it a stash though.

What I came up with so far:
-a physical calculator
-offline password keeper (push a physical button and it writes it out)
-spare beef jerky stash

Any other ideas? I want to do something interesting
>>
>>1003940
>offline password keeper (push a physical button and it writes it out)
Writes on what? Can you actually fit a spool of paper in there?
>>
I put a second hard drive in mine.
>>
>>1003946
I think he means on the computer itself using the sata connection, which is an awesome idea.
>>
put some heated coils and a spring in there and turn it into a toaster
>>
>>1003968
Oh I see. That's a pretty cool idea. And if you got one button set up, you could set up a few of them next to each other
>>
Make a drawer for your USB sticks and SD cards.
>>
>>1003940
Put another hdd/ssd in it with a bay
>>
>>1003961
>>1003983
This

If your laptop already has a 1Tb HDD go with a small SSD for your OS for speed increase or if you already have a SSD go with a big HDD for larger data storage
>>
>>1003994

OP did say something interesting. That's the intended purpose of a multibay.

I'd pop a backup mobile in there for emergencies. Along with a preloaded 3G/4G USB modem doodah.
>>
>>1003968
I couldnt do it myself, but paired with those laptop fingerprint scanners this might be also very secure.
>>
>>1003940
A CD drive :^)
>>
Would be awesome, yeah, but you wouldn't be able to log in from mobile/other devices
>>
File: IMAG0440.jpg (661 KB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0440.jpg
661 KB, 1836x3264
>>1003940
a hard drive is the best, easily implemented use for that space.
As for interesting, well, there's the issue of coming to the internet asking for creativity...
>>
How old is the computer?
If it is old, then something like this maybe the best choice:
http://www.amazon.com/Taiyanggu-Cooling-HDF95-N-Laptop-DVD-ROM/dp/B01EXWOAOW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465230697&sr=8-1&keywords=laptop+caddy+fan
the cooling fan will helpm and M2 while slow (compare to regular SSDs) still give better IO speed than HDD + cooler and shock proof.
A 250Gb M2 can be had under $100, and 125 are around $50, so the total cost is not that high. And port your system to ssd is quite easy, people with 0 knowhow and no additional software can do it.
>>
>>1004372
This looks like a HDD, so you are doing it wrong.
Plastic caddies are not as good to protect drive from vibration and movements, so ONLY use it with SSDs, or you run high risk of losing your data and break your drive.
If I were you, I would do something to remedy the current setup ASAP.
>>
>>1003997
too bad the battery will be unusable when your emergency pops up.
>>
>>1004567
It's been there for almost a year. It works fine, and it fits there quite snugly.
Drives aren't as delicate as you seem to think they are.
>>
>>1003940
ssd
>>
>>1003940
Ultrabay battery.
>>
>>1003940
Internal combination SATA/Multi-USB drawer via PCIe inside a chinkshit gutted HDD caddy?

Might take a bit of effort.
>>
File: HP-2bay-2530p_caddy.jpg (84 KB, 346x328) Image search: [Google]
HP-2bay-2530p_caddy.jpg
84 KB, 346x328
>>1004939
nfm apparently this exists already in some form
http://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=234

Extra USB ports are always handy, especially internal ones where you can shove your wireless dongles into.
I'm considering /diy/ing an internal usb hub attached to the always-on port on my T420 to build something like that right now.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.