[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /diy/. i've stretched a transparent greenhouse tarp
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: film200microns-z.jpg (17 KB, 467x350) Image search: [Google]
film200microns-z.jpg
17 KB, 467x350
hey /diy/.

i've stretched a transparent greenhouse tarp on a frame and i need to paint it. the tension is even rendering the surface less prone to any deformation. problem is, it's nearly impossible to make paint adheres to polyethylene-type plastic, and at some point, i need to use a very soft kind of painter tape to delimit an area. also, at some other point, i need to apply a certain type of acrylic using a paint roll.

i've resorted to painting some parts of it with basic white spray paint, which adheres better than acrylic applied with a roll. - but the second paint i'm using needs to be applied with a roll, and so far, all my attempts gave way to the same result: i'm pretty much just smudging the paint back and forth achieving little opacity, and i'm going for full opacity.

i've looked everywhere online and found different techniques to paint plastic. but none seem to fit for my case, because i can't sand it down before painting. i have yet to try a transparent plastic primer, but my research indicates that it does not work well with polyethylene.

does anyone have experience with painting plastic?

tl;dr - need to paint polyethylene stretched on a frame, wat do?
>>
bumpin'
>>
Use a spray paint designed for plastic?
>>
>>1003271
>>1003293

inb4 thread will be here for days no need to bump.

Seriously krylon rattle cans that are specifically for plastics is the best solution I've dealt with trying to paint plastics.

Possibly prime with that and roll over with your specific paint?

>tarp
Is pic related what you're trying to paint?
Cause that looks kinda like a roll of shrink wrap.

Also why can't you sand it? Is it super thin? All you need to do is burnish it a bit for the paint to grab onto.hell even like even something like 800 grit might help.
>>
>>1003302
i cannot sand it because i need to keep it fully transparent, i haven't tried only lightly sanding it though.

i've came across krylon products, but i live in europe. i haven't found an equivalent here in terms of quality.

it's pretty thick and resistant tarp, but i think it's treated so that water doesn't adhere to it. it's the only thing i could find when i looked for a large piece of soft yet thick plastic to stretch on a frame.
>>
>>1003306
Why does it need to be fully transparent? If you don't mind me,asking.

It's not one of those my plants need to a certain blue/red type of light and trying to paint the plastic the color it needs?

Because i don't think it works like that
>>
>>1003313
it's not. i'm using a kind of paint which turns transparent above 31 degree celsius. so that when it hits that temperature, the paint disappear letting you see through the plastic.
>>
>>1003315
Trick shower curtain so you can see your sister's tits, huh? Nice.
>>
Do you have a propane torch?
Get a torch and a paint gun. Sweep the torch over the plastic until glistening, and then hit with paint.
Of course this may ruin the opacity of the plastic.

Op, go buy some different plastic.
>>
why tho? The fuck are you trying to do?

Did you ever think of sourcing some coloured polylethylene?. Painting plastic might work fine if the shit isn't stretched and pliable like polyethylene. Not sure what the fuck you are trying to do and why, but it seems pretty retarded
>>
Well the answer to painting polyethylene is that basically you can't.

Thin film makes it even harder.

You're SOL OP.
>>
>>1003271
you may be able to dye it. You sure as hell aren't going to be able to paint it.
>>
This large scale greenhouse I know of dilutes white paint with water, and sprays it onto the tarps from inside of the greenhouse.
>>
>>1003389
made me laugh.

>>1003393
it's a painting that's going to be hanged on a wall. it's designed so that at some point in the day, when the sun hits the painting directly, the layer of thermochromic paint disappear, revealing what's behind it. nothing more than that, no particular reason to do it beside why the fuck not, could be fun.

i wasn't dead set on using polyethylene, it's just the only thing i found. it's not pliable in its current state, as i said, it's stretched like the membrane on a drum, and it's not going to move. it's pretty much like painting hard plastic. i don't care if the object doesn't hold well with time.

i'm just trying to find a way to work around the fact that the acrylic i'm using doesn't adhere at all with the plastic. some kind of coating. i thought of using varnish underneath, with a few layers of plastic primer and the plastic has been thoroughly washed of its grease and shit.

>>1003392
don't have access to a propane torch. any idea what i could use instead of polyethylene?

-
>>
>>1003542
>don't have access to a propane torch. any idea what i could use instead of polyethylene?
Art stores sell coated mylar and vinyl for exactly this purpose (painting a large plastic sheet). The coating allows paint to adhere.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.