[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A recent storm had knocked down an oak tree, and someone had
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_2864.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2864.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
A recent storm had knocked down an oak tree, and someone had chainsawed it up and left big logs by the dumpster.

I picked them up and immediately crosscut them into sections, the ripped them as close to the pith as possible. I want to turn them some day, but until then, I need to seal the end grain to let the wood dry as slowly as possible to minimize checks and splits.

People seem to like a certain product called Anchorseal for this purpose but I ain't buying any more chemicals until I use up the stuff I already have. I don't even have candles to cap off the end grain with wax. Will several layers of Minwax fast drying polyurethane achieve the same purpose? I also have boiled linseed oil and paste wax but my intuition tells me they won't do much to prevent moisture loss through the end grain.
>>
The poly should be ok, as is something like enamel paint or something similar like glues- epoxy, wood glue etc.
What you want is the ends drying at the same rate as the rest of the mass, so some permeability is ok in that regard
>>
>>1003100
>I don't even have candles to cap off the end grain with wax.
dollar store? bag of tea lights?

walmart has a 100pk for like $10
>>
>>1003100
Oil-based polyurethane absorbs into end grain rather well, so getting a seal would take several coats. I'd just get paraffin, but paint should build up better than polyurethane. Otherwise... maybe silicone caulk?
>>
>>1003100
Anchorseal 2 is the single greatest product known to man. And it's only like $15 for a whole paintcan full that will last you a year. What are you, poor?
>>
>>1003105
This, cheap and effective, also what ever wax you don't use this time will keep in a jar for next
>>
>>1003100
Cheap exterior grade latex...
>>
I've used anchorseal, parafin, and latex paint.

If you go with latex paint, get the oops cans at the big box store for cheap. Do three coats.

Anchorseal is the easiest to use. One coat and done.

Wax works pretty well too but you have to melt it and it helps a bit to thin it.
>>
>>1005298
>get the oops cans at the big box store for cheap

there's free paint on CL
might need to be filtered, but better than just tossing it
>>
>>1005208

Exterior latex paint is the correct answer. Cheap, easy to apply, available, and most importantly- is slightly permeable to water vapor.
>>
what's the wood for?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.