[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cross Stitch Advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: fawlty cross stitch.jpg (184 KB, 1030x719) Image search: [Google]
fawlty cross stitch.jpg
184 KB, 1030x719
Sup /diy/,

I've never cross stitched before but I'd like to try it and give pic related as a gift. Instructions to make pic related is for sale as a .PDF file, but I'm wondering if I really need the instructions or if I could figure out how to make the design just using the very image attached to this post.

I'm totally green at this so I don't know how important the official instructions are. I think I get the basic idea on how to make and X with thread and count across however many spaces of Xs in whatever color per line, but I really don't get what the instructions provide beyond that. I don't understand, for example, how to do the bow tie on the guy in white.

What do you think, /diy/? Are instructions the way to go or could a newbie wing this and get it right?
>>
Learn
To
Google
https://www.google.ie/search?q=different+types+of+cross+stitch+stitches&safe=off&client=firefox-b&oq=different+types+of+cross+stitch+stitches&gs_l=mobile-heirloom-serp.12...0.0.1.1838.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c..34.mobile-heirloom-serp..9.9.2901.x32bt5WxHQs
Essentially yes the pattern tells you where the colours to but will provide instruction on how to do different stitches
>>
>>1002842
When you buy a cross stitch it's usually just the pattern or the pattern and the thread and aieda
If won't tell you how to make stitches unless it's an absolute beginners kit.

Here are some tips.
If you have a set of X's to do you can do all the diagonals going one way then all the others going the other way to get back to where you started.
If you want to do the writing or bow tie google things like 'running stitch' and 'back stitch'.
It doesn't really matter how you do it but a good sign is that your back is as neat as your front.

Don't tie knots in your thread, it will give you bumps, just keep the tail under your finger on the first one and tuck it under the first few jumps you make on the back side. Don't pull anything too tight.

Try out a few stitches to check you are using enough threads for the size of fabric. 14 count is common, use 2 maybe 3 strands of thread out of the 8or so(?) in the bunch
>>
>>1002845
>>1002849
Thanks gaiz. So if I wing it on the colors and learn some basic techniques, the instructions should be useless? Would they be useless to someone with your level of experience? Or would they offer some value worthy of having them in front of you?
>>
I don't see the value of buying a pattern that simple, there are sites and tutorials on converting a pic to cross stitch
This is DIY so DI-fucking-Y ;p
>>
>>1002854
the patterns use symbols instead of colors so you can easily tell similar colors apart easily, and they tell you exactly what color thread to use which is helpful.
and a numbered grid so you can find your way around easily.
yeah there isn't much to it though you could just use the image really.

fold your workpiece in half to find the center.
you are supposed to start in the centre? i never understood it and i don't. i think you are just supposed to do it to get it in the center to frame it more easily once its done or something
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.