[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /diy/ I just bought my first drill, only cost me $99 due
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
Hello /diy/

I just bought my first drill, only cost me $99 due to major clearance sale and i would like to know how /diy/ manages these batteries. The manual says to keep them charged but with Lithium Polymer this would damage them, This drill uses Lion so kinda stumped on how to handle them.

pic related
>>
Lithium Ion likes being topped off.
>>
>>1002738
I don't understand "topped off"

All lithium Ion batteries including mobile phones like being charged unlike Polymer?
>>
I charge my Milwaukee batteries when the red light indicator has one light left, and I take them off the charger when the charger light turns green. I never run them all the way down.
>>
Every *somethingsomethinglithium* battery likes to be be constantly charged .
Lithium batteries are happiest when recharged as soon as you drain them for the smallest thing.
It's a good thing then to always have the charger at hand and let the battery on the charger.
This is the complete opposite of Ni-mh or Ni-cd batteries which are happiest when recharged only when they are completely depleted from their energy.
Has to do with the chemistry but don't ask me for the specifics. That's just how it werks.
>>
>>1002764
It just werks?
>>
>>1002764
I am heavily into the RC scene and this is quite the opposite so you can see my confusion. I will keep them charged since everyone is saying that same thing. thanks /diy/
>>
>>1002736
I wouldn't worry to much the battery's die pretty quickly anyway if you use them a lot.
>>
The only thing to keep in mind with lithium ion batteries is that they hate being deep discharged. They're really difficult to fuck up otherwise.

Just use them and throw them on the charger when you're done.
>>
File: Chip+under[1].jpg (427 KB, 1600x901) Image search: [Google]
Chip+under[1].jpg
427 KB, 1600x901
>>1002808
>Just use them and throw them on the charger when you're done.

My makitas have a chip in the battery tha counts recharges. I think they're good for 2,000 cycles or so. Since I don't use them every day they'll last months before they need another charge.
>>
>>1002771

RC helicopter buff and woodworker here, I understand your logic. Most modern cordless power tool batteries can be safely left on the charger as long as you follow all the other lipo rules (Don't leave it in sunlight, don't fully drain it, etc.)

That's how the shop works at least and while it definitely shortens the lifespan of the battery, for industry purposes its not critical. For your personal use other /diy/ers have given you great advice, charge it after use and watch the indicator will always be the optimum routine
>>
DO NOT LEAVE ON THE CHARGER!! DO NOT FULLY DISCHARGE!!

Keep them between 25% and 85% charged. This is the optimum level for battery life. Overcharge and you push the reaction too far and they ions become stuck inizzle bix nood muhfuggen
>>
>>1002897
Storage charge of a li-ion/li-po cell is like 3.8v,
so the storage charge of an "18v" battery is actually 19 volts since the "18v" batteries are 5 cell batteries.
which would work out to be I think 40% charge
>>
>>1002897
This is useful information for anyone designing a charger.
>>
OP here, So what i gathered from this thread is Don't leave it on charger for long periods after it's charged, Don't fully discharge, Keep it charged. Cheers guys
>>
>>1003112
Just remember youre on 4chan so 99% of posters don't know dick about shit. If your charger is legit and not some dumbass diy fucked together pile of shit it's not just gonna keep trying to charge once it's charged. It will just keep it topped off by sensing when the voltage slowly drops down to a certain level and charging it back up to full when it does. Also, the batteries have a BMS board in them that balances the individual cells in the pack and protects from overcharge and over discharge and over current and all that shit so you don't really have to worry about running them down either. If you only run it down to like 35% and charge it to 65% or whatever yeah theyll probably last longer, but fuck that shit. It ain't worth the trouble. They're batteries, they are meant to be replaced after a while. Just use your drill and make shit. Don't worry about the battery. It'll last you a good long while and loads of projects.

Also, nice choice of drill. I have the same one and the impact too. Love em. Great tools.
>>
>>1003120
yeah, the manual says the same thing as what /diy/ is saying but i wanted to make sure the manual was not bullshit lol it just seemed odd to me but it makes sense now, also the drill comes with 102 drill bits from Hitachi and the charger is from Hitachi and today i just bought socket adapters to go with it
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.