[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Electronic Earmuffs/PPE General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5
Has anybody used these things before? Any favorite brands? I've been thinking of picking up a pair, but I don't want to blow $150 on something worse than a regular $20 pair.
Also PPE general, I guess
>>
File: photo_2016-06-01_20-44-31.jpg (140 KB, 959x1280) Image search: [Google]
photo_2016-06-01_20-44-31.jpg
140 KB, 959x1280
>>1002547
Whoa. Normally cheap, non electronic ones are mostly hollow with some foam, so I stuff them with cheap bluetooth and speakers and use the foam to coat it.

it's your time and effort, versus spend some spare bucks. if i wasn't broke I wouldn't do shit with trash I found lying around.

But I guess someone who
>>
File: photo_2016-06-01_20-54-23.jpg (90 KB, 959x1280) Image search: [Google]
photo_2016-06-01_20-54-23.jpg
90 KB, 959x1280
>>1002565
...who comes to /diy/ wants to hear about it, so there's that.

I've found the right part of a chinese bluetooth headset trashed, the left is from a philips one and the arc is from an ear muffler, the ear pads and speakers were salvaged too.

I've spent about two hours cutting, soldering and testing, I've stuffed deceased cellphone batteries behind the speaker in the Philips cup, there's a thin wire for the sound and power I had to drill the arc but mostly is pretty solid and comfy for pure trash.

this is an earlier version with a flimsier arc, it broke so I remade it with the thicker ear muffler.
>>
File: photo_2016-06-01_20-54-15.jpg (103 KB, 959x1280) Image search: [Google]
photo_2016-06-01_20-54-15.jpg
103 KB, 959x1280
And of course, I've said I found it in the trash, right? It was burnt. I've had to remake the cap too.

For some reason the bottom part of a plastic cup fit perfectly.

I think I'll call this the "hoboset".
>>
Personally I stick with foam roll-up plugs, if it's really loud I double up with some generic 3M Peltor hard earmuffs. It's just a personal thing, I'd rather have those extra few DB of protection over the convenience of electric ones.

However all the guys I know who shoot use these:
https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Amplification-Electronic-R-01526/dp/B001T7QJ9O/
>>
>>1002576
I lose them so I buy the second or third cheapest option. If it's super excessive noise like drilling shooting etc then double up with foam roll up earplugs too.

If you have to wear a helmet, I find the all-in-one helmets pretty good (hat, goggles, muffs). Although they give me a bit of neck pain being top heavy and heavier than normal ones. I only get them if the company is paying though!
>>
I fucking hate earmuffs with a passion, they are so bulky, shitty and awkward.

I just carry a couple of sets of roll up earplugs in a little baggie in ny toolbelt, so convenient.

The only thing is I constantly get health and safety faggots coming up to me going 'REEEEEEEEEEEE NO HEARING PROTECTION'. I take out my earplugs and say 'what?' and they just sort of stare for five seconds and wander off looking pissed.

Funny as fuck.
>>
/k/ommando here, those things are a godsend in an environment where earpro from loud noises (such as gunshots) as well as communication (orders, commands, etc) are equally essential.
Hunter friends of mine also swear by the noise amplification when innawoods.

I personally own Peltor SportTacs, as do most of my shooting friends, but I heard good things about the Howard Leights that the other anon mentioned as well. Decided on the more expensive ones because I'm a firm believer of "you get what you pay for" and thus don't mind shilling out the shekels, and also, I got them monies, so fuck that noise (pun intended).
>>
File: 1746366_2000x2000.jpg (244 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1746366_2000x2000.jpg
244 KB, 2000x2000
>>1002547
I use em and I love em. Mine arent bluetooth ones though.. its an AUX/AM/FM pair from Home Depot made by 3M. I paid 50 bucks, then saw the same pair at walmart for $35, so go to walmart. My only complaint is the knob covers fall off (I've love ago lost the nice plastic knobs) but you can use the knobs without the caps. I would recommend when you buy it, pop the caps off and superglue them to the metal terminals. Keep a spare pack of double AAs in your work bag, but the batteries last me a month or so I think.

>>1002722
I worked for the department of defense for a little while and it was required that we had the foam plug under our muffs. Honestly I loved it. Improved hearing the music, made surrounding sounds dead quiet. Depending on the decibels youre working in I could see how both would be required, but if its one or the other I think the foam ones cancel out the same amount of noise. Instead of acting like a kid and sayin "What?" everytime, maybe look at the packaging and tell your boss your foam things are actually better.

Pic related
>>
I used my coworkers 3M Peltor Optime III earmuffs after my 20 dollar ones broke.
They're fanfuckingtastic. Those plus those Christmas tree looking earplugs and I actually didn't go home with a headache for once. I'm waiting on mine to show up in the mail.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.