[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Building a 250W monoblock car amplifier
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 20160530_183141.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
20160530_183141.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
Hey /diy/, I've got a 250W KEF subwoofer with a dead amp (pic related). I'm thinking of repurposing it as a subwoofer for use in my Corolla (has aftermarket radio). I thought maybe I could save some money by building my own amp from scratch. I've got plenty of free time over the summer so why the fuck not? Could be a fun project.
>many of the parts from the subwoofer's original amplifier are still functional and could be useful
>needs to run off of 12VDC power source from the car battery
>>
Good luck. You'll need it. Guaranteed headache.
>>
Will you design the amp from scratch or use different DIY stuff from eBay?

I know quite a bit about power electronics, and generating a higher voltage from 12v with substantial wattage, is not easy! Especially because you would need more than one voltage for your control.

If I were you, I would buy a 12V boost module from eBay. Go with something physically big, they overrated power a lot, and neglect sufficient cooling..
Then find a class d amplifier module, and combine in a box. Add additional decoupling after the boost supply.
>>
>>1001913
Probably going to get kits from eBay as needed if they end up being cheaper.
What do I do about going from 12VDC to a bipolar [some voltage]DC as required for the amplifier?
>>
>>1001920
It sounds like you know little to nothing about electronics.

Search eBay for amplifier modules, they come assembled, and handles voltage conversation part for you. You only need to supply a single voltage of 24 to 60V. If it has a lower input voltage, it is most likely not high power enough..

To increase the voltage from 12v you would need a boost voltage regulator or step up supply. Same thing, two words..
This needs to have a wattage rating high enough to supply your amplifier. I guess 100W minimum, as they tend to be rated higher than they actually are..

Search eBay for class d amplifier module, or class d amplifier board. Find a mono or bridged board of 100watt or more. Then find a boost converter capable of supplying power and voltage for the amplifier.
>>
>>1001907
save your self some time , and it might even be cheaper, get one of these http://store3.sure-electronics.com/audio/audio-amplifier-board/medium-power
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.