[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guitar strings gets harder
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 598x246) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9 KB, 598x246
So I have this Strat when you lower the action by the bridge, it goes out of tune and fixing the tuning just makes my string harder to bend. Is that normal? I already changed the string to 9s.
>>
>>1001582
so when you lower your action and readjust your intonation, the string is more difficult to bend? That would happen if you needed to move the saddle away from the nut, making the string's active length longer, but I wouldn't have thought it would be that noticeable.
>>
>>1001582
Going out of tune sounds normal, in fact you should probably check the intonation as well. Harder to bend? Not sure about that one but instinctively I'm guessing it shouldn't change much. Have you tried /mu/?
>>
What is: truss rod.

The issue isn't necessarily at the bridge. I've had an issue in the past with a 335 and I ended up adding tension to the truss rod to correct it.
>>
>>1001586
This anon has a point, check your neck straightness. In fact, watch a few Dave's World of Fun Stuff YouTube vids about setting up your guitar. Pretty sure neck straightness is the first thing he checks.
>>
>>1001586
That doesn't make any sense. If you tighten the truss rod, the strings will increase in tension and go sharp because of the increased neck tension. Then you detune them to get back to the tension they were at before.
>>
>>1001589

If you know the answer why are you asking?
>>
Alright! I'm going to try play with the truss rod.

>>1001588
And yes my guitar neckis straight.

>>1001584
No. I never adjust the intonation. I only lowered the action then the string goes out of tune flat.
>>
>>1001590
not OP

>>1001588
Truss rod is the greatest guitar noob meme. It's always babby's first guitar tweak and then they go and spout it everywhere thinking that it's the one and true solution to all guitar setup problems. In a way it is because you can't properly adjust anything else without proper neck relief, but in this case, even a severely up-bowed neck shouldn't affect the ability to bend the string because the speaking length will barely deviate from normal and string height is compensated for by lowering the saddles.
>>
>>1001598

After the first few lines I lost interest. I'd the truss rod served no purpose it wouldn't be required let alone adjustable.

You must be a cork sniffing tone is in the fingers type.
>>
>>1001594
>No. I never adjust the intonation. I only lowered the action then the string goes out of tune flat.

That's perfectly normal.

What gauge strings were you using before you switched to 9's? Have you adjusted the trem springs?
>>
>>1001601
I think those were 9s because they have the same hardness when bending. They were stock strings (first strings for the guitar). And what are trem springs? The only thing I adjust was the saddle height, the tuning pegs and thats it.
>>
>>1001604
If you have a tremolo (whammy bar) there are springs in a cavity on the underside of the guitar body to give enough tension for it to work properly. If you changed string gauge you may have too much spring tension now and you'll have to take one off.
>>
>>100160

Very doubtful. You'll probably find a 9 would break before it moved the springs on the whammy.
>>
>>1001600
Neck relief functions in preventing string buzz idiot.
>>
>>1001610
Are you a retard?
>>
>>1001827
Well come on then dick head, if I'm the retard why aren't you here knocking out solutions?

Ya waste of spunk.
>>
>>1001604
>And what are trem springs?

I'm not trying to be an ass here but if you don't even know what trem springs are then you need to go do some learning.

This is a VERY GOOD place to start, Dave is a cool guy and if you watch his videos (start with the older ones first as he gives much more deatil in those) you will soon know the in's and out's of the Strat and many other duitars.

Good luck anon and keep on practicing

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOXNPo7CtnzzZ9A4GyQ6Tog

A book recommendation for you too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=haynes+stratocaster&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ahaynes+stratocaster
>>
>>1001873
Alright! I tried the YouTube channel you gave. And I noticed his guitars all have bridges that is slanted making the saddle parallel to the body. So I tried adjusting the bridge higher and it seems to fixed my problem. It goes out of tune to flat and string tension lowered when lowering the action. Know my only problem is string buzzing when fretting on higher frets but that is another topic. Tnx!
>>
>>1001828
>why aren't you here knocking out solutions?
bitch i'd knock you out right quick
>>
>>1002254
nuh uh
my dad can beat up your dad
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.