[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I will be moving to a 118"x118" room next month. It
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3
I will be moving to a 118"x118" room next month. It has a 32" door, 36" window, and tiny closet with about 12" depth. The only piece of furniture I know I will have so far is my forever alone 75" x 38" x 14" bed frame. I have so many books, computer parts, miscellaneous cables, and DVD/VG/AudioCDs I will probably ditch all of my furniture and custom build a computer desk and shelving. I will have access to miter saw, sander, and drill power tools. It would be neat to have a router and routing table to make fancy shelving, but I don't have that luxury. I have seen 1"x4"/6"/8" wood at HD and Lowes but it looks super expensive compared to rough cut standard 2"x4" boards. Does anyone have hobo build shelving / computer desk designs for people on a budget?
>>
if you have a menards nearby, they sometimes have melamine boards (I think they're 1x8) on rebate really cheap...I've used them to make shelving units, and with supports in the form of 1x3 strips under each shelf, they hold up pretty well

of course, it would be much simpler to just use whatever cheap dimensional lumber you can get your hands on

if you can get some pallets, you could make storage cubes and stack them

otherwise the dirt cheap option would mean making a couple frames with 1x2s or so, and using strips of osb as shelves, not pretty, but it works

if you want a cheap desk, you could make one with simple 4x4 posts and a free wooden door from CL...maybe put a piece of plywood on top
>>
Sounds like a dorm room. Make a deck (platform) with your bed bunked above it. You can put a couch or futon on the deck easily, storing stuff under the deck. Add shelving to the bunk is easy. Use bolts if you're going to put it up and take it down a few times. It will cost more upfront but screws are less reliable after an iteration or 2. If this is long term "never" taken down structure, then screws are fine.

For plans, Google dorm room lofts or bunk beds. Should have lots of inspiration. If you deck other parts of the room then you get more storage.

Pick is something like I'm talking about. Just imagine it all on a platform 8-12" off the ground.
>>
>>1001542
hello Emmet
>>
File: HET 1954.jpg (32 KB, 278x400) Image search: [Google]
HET 1954.jpg
32 KB, 278x400
>>1001508
Menards is mostly northern US. I'm in TX. I've come up with a design using 8ft 2x4s and 1x4 furring strips. AFAIK nobody gives away pallets. You have to put a freaking deposit on them if the hardware store loads your truck with one. I don't really care about the shelves, but I would like to be able to run my hands over my computer desk and not get splinters. I know those furring strips are a bit rough. Will they sand out to a smooth surface?
>>1001542
I've thought about doing the bunk thing, but I'm in my 30's and I'd probably break my neck trying to stumble into bed drunk. I think I will put shelving or peg board above my bed so I can store more stuff though.
>>
>>1001792
that's too bad, I do kind of prefer them to the other chain stores...they even started stocking frozen food; need a toilet seat, mower oil, and italian sausage? head to menards (and pick up your free rebate stuff while you're there)

I saw a post just today where a company had several stacks of them they were giving away to anyone who could come load and take all of them...they're out there

I want to say yes, they should be alright, but sometimes you never know what they're going to look like till you pick through. I would not use those for a desk surface; either join some boards together with dowels or use a sheet of plywood...it will be worth it
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.