[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Milk jugs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: milk jug empty.jpg (35 KB, 293x400) Image search: [Google]
milk jug empty.jpg
35 KB, 293x400
Hey /diy/. I don't normally drop by here, but I've got a bit of a conundrum, and I figured who better to help than the faceless masses of 4chan?

So, I go through about two gallons of milk a week, and I have to imagine there's something better to be done with the jugs than just tossing them out. However, Google's not giving me a lot to go on. I live alone in a tiny studio apartment. I don;t have a garden, I don't have a workshop, and I definitely don;t have kids to entertain with a small, misshapen igloo. Any ideas as to how I can put these things to use?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>1001298
You could use them as tiny gardens, hang them up everywhere, and grow basil, mint, and shit.
>>
>>1001298
if you have a refigerator in the garage or basement, or even your main one. You fill them up like 3/4 the way with a drop or two of soap in them and freeze them.

The idea is that it not only takes up dead space that would otherwise disappear when you open your frig, but also since it will be cool it will cause it to kick on less to maintain temp. Works best in ones in the garage where you have to deal with hot summers.

Otherwise shoot em.
>>
>>1001298
Make a mallet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyP7YJ9O3TY
>>
>>1001298

why not just recycle them? most places have where you can take empty plastic bottles for recycling.. hell even the trash company should have a recycling division that comes and picks up the recyclables...

seriously who the hell just throws them in the trash?
>>
>>1001366
me, because fuck you and the enviroment.
>>
>>1001298
You could always clean them out with soap and hot water and refill them at the machines for 25¢ to get nice clean drinking water. Storing water is always good especially for emergency situations. It's really nice having clean water on hand (especially if your tap is shit which is the case in most places).

There's other random stuff, you can cut off part of the bottle and use it for storage, you can plant seedlings in it (it acts like a mini greenhouse), you can use it as a watering can for plants, you can turn a bottle into a funnel just cut it below the handle and now you have a funnel with a handle. You can store your change in them and if you have any pets they are great for storing pet food as well.
>>
We always kept em for oil changes.
>>
>>1001326
jesus, from amount of tools you need to buy just buy a mallet from home depot.
>>
>>1001366
trash is trash for a reason, because they have little economical value. Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. Every single faggot always forget about Reduce and Reuse. Recycling literal trash does jackshit for the environment except it makes every single faggot feels better about themselves.

Fuck people who recycle.
>>
>>1001430
What the fuck are you on about? Those jugs get literally recycled into new jugs.
>>
>>1001430
The fuck? You do realize that it costs way less to recycle aluminum than it takes to create more? Whatever, dumbass dipshit.
>>
You fucking fuckos are missing an opportunity to make hdpe tools.
Cut up the jugs into smaller pieces and put them a 350 degree oven until they melt. Shape the blob like candy. Wait until cool and machine it like wood. Its hard as fuck when it isnt blown and stretched out like jugs are.
>>
>>1001438
this

next best thing to recycling them into new jugs, or donating them to make into benches/etc, or re-using them for brewing/holding stuff, is melting them down and forming new things
>>
>>1001319
What's the soap for
>>
>>1001417
>refill them at the machines for 25¢ to get nice clean drinking water

What kind of third world shithole do you live in where you can't get clean drinking water supplied by your local government municipality to a tap in your home?
>>
>>1001484
Tap is 'clean' so to speak but isn't as good as some reverse osmosis with high quality filtration. Removing the Flouride, Chlorine and Armine make a much healthier and better tasting water but that's just my opinion brah.
>>
>>1001426
Nah, that guys got the tools, so he uses them. But you don't NEED all the stuff he used.
>>
>>1001484
I live in California in a house that isn't hooked up to city water. None of the houses in the area are, we have a small number of shared wells and each property has a septic tank. I don't know why water and sewage lines were never run here in the first place, since it's only a mile away from the center of the city, but at this point, it's more trouble than it's worth.
Anyway, during the drought a few months ago, I did just what that anon suggested - drove into town once a week and hauled back 10 gallons of drinking water to lessen the load on the well.
>>
I use them as pissjuggs and crapjars
>>
>>1001298
Piss in them.
>>
>>1001436
Aluminum milk jugs?
>>
>>1001491
But your then the now mineral free water into plastic jugs and letting all those estrogenic compounds leach into your stored water.
>>
File: pissjug.jpg (306 KB, 1266x1597) Image search: [Google]
pissjug.jpg
306 KB, 1266x1597
>>1001612

PISS JUGS, FUCK YEAH BRO!
>>
>>1001646
>Fuck people who recycle
When you said this, you didn't say milk jugs, iron, aluminum, you just said "fuck people who recycle" so, yeah.
>>
>>1001319
Forget the soap. Freeze water in them. The thing about taking up air space and stabilizing freezer temp is valid. But when there is some sort of disaster and you need a few days worth of drinking water, there it is.
>>
File: pissjugs.jpg (49 KB, 490x275) Image search: [Google]
pissjugs.jpg
49 KB, 490x275
>>1001871
>>
>>1001417
>Storing water
Never in a milk jug. The plastic deteriorates too quickly. I use 2L soda bottles, as they don't fall apart of their own accord after a couple years.
>>
>>1001417
That plastic is shit. It breaks down with UV and heat. It biodegrades. It's porous, so anything that's outside can get in (shit in the air, anything spilled on it) and anything inside isn't coming out (like milk or soap used to clean out the milk).

I'm sure all that is overstated and as long as you follow a good rotation plan (4-6 months) OR have no dependents, go for it. Worst that happens is you die of the shits before you get help. If things are THAT bad, it can't the worst way to go.

>>1002068
You say freeze it. That should fine, it'll still end up tasting like a freezer... who knows if that's any good for you. Still rotate it like ever 6-12 months.
>>
>>1001905
He said fuck people who recycled but ignore the more important parts of using less and reusing instead of throwing things away. How did you not understand stand that?
>>
>>1001438
>>1001462

>you fucking fuckos
>u should be melting them!!11!!1

>How_To_Get_Cancer.exe
>>
>>1002258
A point has been made here. How safe is melting that stuff.
>>
>>1002609
Considering you stick it in a sealed metal container it's pretty fucking safe. Any carcinogenic materials it gives off are going to pale in comparison to the raw amount of carcinogens you intake eating regular processed foods, and the estrogenic compounds rumored to be in HDPE are really only an issue if you eat the plastic itself.

This idea that milk jugs will give you anal cancer or something is just as ridiculous as the idea that casting your own bullets in a ventilated space will cause lead poisoning.
>>
>>1001319
>>1002068
While it's good and all to have some extra thermal mass to keep things cool, you can't just go and fill the freezer full of them all at once.
One, you'll burn out the compressor/thaw everything in there while it's trying to freeze the water, and Two, you need super space around the food to keep things cool and to stop ice crystals from forming on everything.
>>
File: 2-Milk-Jugs-Josephine[1].jpg (548 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
2-Milk-Jugs-Josephine[1].jpg
548 KB, 720x540
Git yourself some food dye and make some art
>>
>>1001430
What the fuck are you talking about? Recycling things means we have to mine and buy less new materials, plus saves money. I have no idea why you have a weird hate boner for normal people.
>>
>>1003931
Recycling most plastics is more expensive and and results in more pollution than throwing it in a landfill and making more
>>
>>1003931
How about you stop buying shits? It use no materials if you don't buy shits.
>>
>>1001612
>>1001629
>>1001871
>>1002082
If you use a milk jug as a piss jug, you deserve all the bad things. Screw-on cap juice jugs made of thicker plastic are the way to go. With a wide opening.
>>
>>1002640
If only 'Murica's flag were shades of yellow and orange...
>>
>>1003949
I'm gonna need to see a source to back this statement up.
>>
>>1005531
just read any business publications. commodity prices are in the toilet right now. with the record low oil price, it's cheaper to produce new plastic than using wasteful recycled plastic.

If you truly care about the environment, just don't use plastics.
>>
>>1005531
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/04/opinion/sunday/the-reign-of-recycling.html?_r=0

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2015/04/recycling-america
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjapSF94eCc

best way to handle milk jugs
>>
>>1001871
That man should try drinking some water once in a while.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.