[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey there /diy/! I just wanted to ask if anyone has any experience
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6
Hey there /diy/! I just wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with buying, working with, living in, or building any homes made of shipping containers. I'm looking for guides or services that can help me out. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks a bunch!
>>
File: 1462312456614.jpg (727 KB, 766x1200) Image search: [Google]
1462312456614.jpg
727 KB, 766x1200
Nice thread guy.
>>
From what I understand, its cheaper to just make a new structure from scratch. And easier.

As far as I can see, the only point would be to make like a dive office for construction sites that could be transported easily
>>
>>1001264
>For when a single wide trailer is too luxurious.
>>
>>1001285
Oh, bitch, please. I just thought that it would be interesting to try.
>>
/diy/ is not fucking spoonfeed you mong. The internet abounds in what you seek in quantity and detail suitable for industrial, military, home and rape dungeon.

If you ask an INTELLIGENT container question to prove you fucking looked, I may respond.

Otherwise GTFO.
>>
>>1001267
i fucking love this picture
>>
File: ThisThreadAgain.jpg (51 KB, 600x652) Image search: [Google]
ThisThreadAgain.jpg
51 KB, 600x652
>>1001264
>>
Here we go again.

OP a trailer is cheaper and significantly less likely to be uninhabitable due to spilled chemicals and weird smells like a container.

They only get rid of containers when theres a good reason not to use them anymore.

Given that they're nearly indestructible, that reason is generally that they spilled something you don't want to be breathing
>>
>>1001295
>I may respond.
>>
File: duty_calls[1].png (14 KB, 300x330) Image search: [Google]
duty_calls[1].png
14 KB, 300x330
>>1002590
>They only get rid of containers when theres a good reason not to use them anymore.

No, they get rid of shipping containers because it's cheaper than shipping empty ones back to china. Where do all you "toxins" autists get this shit?
>>
>>1002832
Because the boats don't go back to china either right?
>>
>>1002855
>Because the boats don't go back to china either right?

The boats don't end up scattered around the country.
>>
I have built and do live in a shipping container home.
>>
>>1002857
Container Usage during its Life-Span Containers are built to be durable since they can be exposed to all possible conditions, from tropical to sub arctic. They are also subject to potential damage when loaded, unloaded, transshipped or carried. Additionally, what a container carries could also by damaging to its structure with spills and shocks. The lifespan of a container ranges between 10 to 15 years depending on its level of usage and the conditions it has been exposed to. A well maintained container not exposed to harsh conditions can even have a lifespan up to 20 years, but this is uncommon. Still, a container can spend on average 56% of its lifespan either idle or being repositioned while empty. This represents a non revenue generating part involving additional costs (such as storage and repositioning) that are assumed either by the shipping or the leasing company. Such a cost is thus part of the leasing rate and of the full transportation cost. Growing trade imbalances can have a notable impact as more containers will spend additional time idle or being repositioned. About 20% of all the containers carried by maritime transportation are empties. A such containers are complex assets to effectively manage.

>About 20% of all the containers carried by maritime transportation are empties.

https://people.hofstra.edu/geotrans/eng/ch3en/conc3en/containerlifespan.html
>>
>>1002855
Because China imports as much stuff from North America as they export
......right...
>>
>>1002887
The ship still need to go back to china. They don't park the ships up and sell them to hipsters after they arrived in the USA.

As the ship is returning to china you might as well fill it up with empty containers if you have nothing to export.
>>
>>1002590
>Given that they're nearly indestructible, that reason is generally that they spilled something you don't want to be breathing

You have no idea what you are talking about. Anyone not personally familiar with shipping container construction, grading, modification and use should confine themselves to posting tits.

Containers are not "nearly indestructible", and when their economic service life is exceeded or the container terminals have excess they are surplused. A container suitable for a shed may not be "cargo worthy" and have holes, dents, corrosion, deformities from rough handling, etc.

Cleaning them out is as easy and common as doing 18-wheeler washouts.
>>
>>1002832
>Where do all you "toxins" autists get this shit?

From morons on Youtube.

Unless you feel compelled to gnaw the wood parts of the floor or eat sanding dust and paint chips, most container coatings outgassed LONG before the box got to CONUS.

Anyone interested in containers should build a shop from a High Cube. They are nice for that and mine protects my machine tools and welders superbly. If you are in a very wet area you should consider a dehumidifier if storing a lot of precision metal parts, but humidity is a problem in any structure.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.