[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sealing tank for drinking water.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: 1307.jpg (11 KB, 600x342) Image search: [Google]
1307.jpg
11 KB, 600x342
I'm setting up my car for a huge camping/driving trip and want to take plenty of water, but obviously optimise space as well.

Pic related is one solution, it is generic to fit the rear footwell of a vehicle, only problems are that it costs 300 kangaroo dollars, and only holds 40L. Preferably I would like to carry around 100L,just to be safe. If would also help out with weight distribution.
I was thinking about welding up something similar out of steel plate. If so, should I line it somehow to make it suitable for drinking water? Could I pour in a couple of litres of paint then slosh it around?

What sort of paint?

Other ideas?
>>
Epoxy primer and food grade epoxy.
Or just build one from marine ply, woven fiberglass cloth and food grade epoxy.
>>
Goon bags. Tough, built in spout, 4l per bag (depends on bag), takes any shape.
>>
or just make it out of stainless steel
>>
Gallon jugs. Youll thank me later.
>>
>>1001109
How are you supposed to get water out of that thing?
>>
>>1001132
It looks like it has a bung at the bottom or you siphon it out i guess
>>
>>1001117
Sounds good,I'll check it out .

>>1001132
>>1001133

I'll put a threaded pipe at the bottom and plumb in a 12v pump.

>>1001123
I'll thank you now if you have a good reason for not doing this.
>>
>>1001135
It's just a lot of Gallon jugs but if one breaks you only have one break. The giant thing for the car space leaks and all the water is gone.

Jugs are portable too.
>>
What's wrong with 2L soda bottles? Or water bags? What advantage does this giant container have? It would be heavy as hell to move around if need be.
>>
File: 19-litre-water-cooler-bottle.jpg (11 KB, 247x448) Image search: [Google]
19-litre-water-cooler-bottle.jpg
11 KB, 247x448
>>1001277
Plus, if 300 kangaroo dollars is too much, food grade epoxy is going to run you up near that pricepoint for the sort of coverage you need.

But seriously just use the jugs from water coolers. They're like... 10 dollarydoos each, and hold 20 L, three in the trunk, two in the cab, problem solved.

The advantage is that as you deplete them, they can be crushed to make room, plus if you have to walk to a place to refill them (Say you can't park right next to the well pump) you aren't completely fucked.

>But muh space!
Yeah, but you can shift them around, buckle one into a seat if you have to, leave one behind in a pinch, if you build some big monstrosity, you can't do any of that, you're stuck with it.
>>
File: D0149-4.jpg (62 KB, 597x597) Image search: [Google]
D0149-4.jpg
62 KB, 597x597
>>1001399
For bonus points, also get yourself one of these bad babysitters.
>>
>>1001374
>What advantage does this giant container have?
Not OP, but a single custom made container would probably be better if you want to make a permanent camper/RV type set up. It's more space efficient. It's a lot easier to fill the one tank rather than handling 5 20L or 50 2L bottles. It can be easily plumbed in with pumps/faucets/sinks/gray-water if you want to make an elaborate set up.

All that being said >>1001399 is probably the best solution for most people.
>>
I have me a Swedish military surplus water bladder.

It holds a maximum of 250 Liters and, since its a bladder, it fills up to the space it's in (eg: a car's trunk)
>>
>>1001277
>>>1001135
>It's just a lot of Gallon jugs but if one breaks you only have one break.

Yep, that is certainly a consideration. I will plan to have an emergency supply, (perhaps 20L or so), if my main tank busts.

>>1001374
>>1001402
>>1001399
I dont want bunches of small containers because they take up lots of space, are a nuisance to fill, and i cant plumb them into a supply system for a touch of civilisation. The main tank will be connected to a supply pump for convenience in the kitchen area, and to operate a small shower.

>>1001422
>>>1001374
>>What advantage does this giant container have?
>Not OP, but a single custom made container would probably be better if you want to make a permanent camper/RV type set up. It's more space efficient. It's a lot easier to fill the one tank rather than handling 5 20L or 50 2L bottles. It can be easily plumbed in with pumps/faucets/sinks/gray-water if you want to make an elaborate set up.
>>1001422
>>1001374
>What advantage does this giant container have?
>Not OP, but a single custom made container would probably be better if you want to make a permanent camper/RV type set up. It's more space efficient. It's a lot easier to fill the one tank rather than handling 5 20L or 50 2L bottles. >It can be easily plumbed in with pumps/faucets/sinks/gray-water if you want to make an elaborate set up.

This guy gets it.

>>1001399
>>1001277
>Plus, if 300 kangaroo dollars is too much, food grade epoxy is going to run you up near that pricepoint for the sort of coverage you need.

I dont mind spending money, but 300 dollars for a 40L tank is too much. It's too small, and will not efficiently fill the available space.

>>1001429
>I have me a Swedish military surplus water bladder.

>It holds a maximum of 250 Liters and, since its a bladder, it fills up to the space it's in

I like the sound of this a lot. I'll look into it.
>>
File: 1.jpg (215 KB, 1600x1059) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
215 KB, 1600x1059
>>1001429
>>1001631
Check this out:
http://www.fleximake.com.au/Home/EachProduct?Id=72b4ba22-94fa-4216-809c-3097d0ff0d01

Only $200 roo dollars. Ready to go. will fit in the rear passenger footwell, and will store efficiently. I think I'll order this unless i can find something similar shortly.
>>
>>1001633
Nice, that looks like a good solution. I'd advise also bringing a smaller (20 L) container you can carry, since you really won't always be able to park within hose distance of a water supply, and worst case scenario you ferry it back and forth a few times.

http://www.fishpond.com.au/Sports_Outdoors/Tactical-Surplus-Swiss-20L-Water-Bag/9999332782203

Holy fuck everything in Australia is 4x the price of anywhere else. It's basically the Yukon.
>>
File: photo-11[1].jpg (863 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
photo-11[1].jpg
863 KB, 2048x1536
>>1001109
Do they not sell water in 2.5 gallon "suitcases" down there in rooland? They stack well, have spigots and if something were to happen like a sharp edge gets involved, then only one container get wasted.
>>
>>1001727
>Holy fuck everything in Australia is 4x the price of anywhere else

Its relative
They have an 18$ minimum wage, which scales up with higher paying jobs.

Dont ever listen to an aussie complain about the price of something compared to other countries, their buying power is actually higher when you break it down hourly wage wise.
>>
>>1001732
Our buying power is especially good when we but stuff online from overseas using our high minimum wages. Unfortunately it means that it is hard to make things here, or even to run a business.
>>
>>1001728
Oof, good point, invest in a couple of patch kits.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.