[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /diy/ How are these kinds of switches wired? There are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6
File: swt7-front-img_3280[1].jpg (8 KB, 375x281) Image search: [Google]
swt7-front-img_3280[1].jpg
8 KB, 375x281
Hey /diy/

How are these kinds of switches wired?

There are six pins, does the slider just close the contacts across each pair?
>>
File: sel switch.png (5 KB, 456x394) Image search: [Google]
sel switch.png
5 KB, 456x394
>>1000996
I was mostly curious if I could wire it like this
>>
>>1000996
look up 'double pole double throw', but yeah if you want to reverse the polarity of a signal, that's one way
>>
>>1001005
So, if each other those yellow leads went to a light, it could control 3 lights separately by sliding the switch?
>>
>>1001000
no look up 'dpdt switch' and look at the wiring diagram
>>
File: sp3t[1].gif (4 KB, 442x235) Image search: [Google]
sp3t[1].gif
4 KB, 442x235
>>1001022
So what I'm getting from looking at diagrams is to control three different LEDs I would need an on/on/on DPDT switch like this right?
>>
>>1001026
yes, that's called a single throw triple throw, notice the sp3t in the file name
>>
>>1001027
>notice the sp3t in the file name
I do now.

The simplest things are the hardest for me.
>>
File: 1425575776539.jpg (58 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1425575776539.jpg
58 KB, 640x960
>>1000996

why dont you just get a cheap $5 analog meter at walmart and use it to check which contacts are closed in which position

seriously, people just cant THINK for themselves anymore they need everyone else to do their research and brainstorming

anytime I come across a switch with unknown contact points I whip out my ohm meter and start checking them. sure it takes effort but its because I am not a spoiled basement dwelling NEET who has no thought process

pic related. OP's daily life
>>
I'm an electronic designer at IBM and I admit that I have never understood switches. The ones with a round button and only two terminals drive me crazy.
>>
>>1001140
>get a cheap $5 analog meter

I was going to laugh at this, but I first checked. damn. how can they even make the plastic shell and ship it and stock it, etc., for $3.

some serious slave labor going on somewhere.
>>
>>1001140
This only scrapes my daily struggles.
I should've thought of that though.
But I kinda did the research myself and I only had to ask 5 questions this time.

But still I'll reiterate
>The simplest things are the hardest for me.

>>1001156
Push buttons are good times.
>>
>>1001159
You can get free digital multimeters at Harbor Freight.
>>
>>1001159
because they're literally built by slaves in china
>>
File: 1444786750428.jpg (42 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
1444786750428.jpg
42 KB, 500x501
>>1001156
>>
>>1001159
when you don't have to wear any hard hats or shoes or worry about collapse when you mine the raw materials, there are no health and safety or environmental rules to worry about and your workforce is paid nothing and you don't have to worry about any kind of certification and test or quality control and you can copy the design from someone else without paying them for their work then the only thing you are missing is a goon who cares only about what the thing costs right now instead of howgood it is or how long it will last. then congratulations you have yourself a chink shit production line
>>
>>1001140

Or you could ask a question and quickly learn about poles and throws so that you don't need to spend 10 minutes analyzing every new switch you find.
>>
>>1001000
LOL
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.