[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need to make a few joints like this somehow, most likely out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: Joint A.png (68 KB, 904x863) Image search: [Google]
Joint A.png
68 KB, 904x863
I need to make a few joints like this somehow, most likely out of plastic, for a posable model I am making. I don't have any idea where to even begin making something like this. Any advice? I hope those measurements are clear enough to follow.
>>
File: Joint B.png (29 KB, 875x475) Image search: [Google]
Joint B.png
29 KB, 875x475
Here's how it would look put together.
>>
>>1000224
Um, ever heard of 3D printing?
>>
Yeah man, I don't have one and I don't know anyone that has one. Also I live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. Is there like a website or something where I could upload models to have printed and shipped for a reasonable price?
>>
>>1000233
This might help

www.lmgtfy.com/?q=3d+printing+service+
>>
>>1000239
Thanks. I could have googled that myself, you're right. I was thinking more along the lines of maybe getting some input from a real person who has used one of those sites and might refer to their experience with using it.
Also, any sort of outside the box thinking would be great too.
You seem like you're coming off really hostile at me for not having this information already. I'm sorry if that offends you somehow.
>>
>>1000241

two chunks of plastic, a knife, a drill bit, and some sand paper would do it if you don't mind some work. post results when your done
>>
The entire thing is way too small for plastic. Figurines typically go for larger plastic chunks and pin it with steel.

Most durable plastic you could make it with at that scale is delrin. You're going to need to change it to a cradle design and pin it and get it precision machined while will be buttrape expensive.

If you don't mind a bit of rough edges and some elbow grease, it could be made with 1/16" and sheet filed and cut into shape. It will still need to be pinned with steel wire.
>>
>>1000224
these might be relevant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-urB9uKrkM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEc5Jak9jsg
gl
>>
>>1000224
This is quite small. What do you need that for?
For 3d printing: 3D Hubs will find local hobby or small business 3d printers. They usually have FDM printers, which could have some problems with printing such a small pieces. Holes usually end up a bit smaller and those 1mm bosses might not be very strong or accurately printed.
You would get better parts with SLA/Polyjet (resin) or SLM (powder) printer. Those you can get at 3d printing services such as Shapeways, Sculpteo, i.materialise, ....

This connecting link kind of looks like a roller chain, so maybe this can help you: http://www.sdp-si.com/PDFS/Roller-Chains-Metric.pdf

Otherwise, make it by hand from same plastic rods, tubes and glue.
Also you can try to find some similar pieces in stores that sell miniature models or RC cars,...
>>
>>1000233
shapeways is a big name that does that.
>>
Why does t have to be double jointed ?
>>
>>1000268
Yeah, it's super small. I need them for elbow and knee joints on a figure I'm making. I realize there are things like...revoltech joints and whatnot available for purchase, but they just don't look right. I had considered scavenging some stuff from a small rollerchain. I think something along that route might be my best bet. Thanks for the info on 3d printing by the way. If the pins fit in the holes a little loosely, I could just put a coat of something on it to tighten it up a bit, and if they fit a little snug I have a pin vise to drill out the hole some.
>>
>>1000270
Larger range of motion
>>
Buy a cheap gunpla and salvage the joints.
>>
>>1000241
This board is quite hostile at the moment. About 20% of posts are trolls pretending to be retarded and another 30% are autists proving how 'smart' they are by calling out retards in the most condescending way possible.
>>
I'm glad I popped back in here after, what...3 years or something.

OP, you essentially need plastic bike chain, correct?

Faux Bike Chain Bracelets Set of 6 Great Party Favors Free Shipping https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019QP61V6/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_q4GsxbVW870H3
>>
Conversely, I suggest knex toys. You can buy various joints singularly.
No sense in reinventing the wheel.

If you absolutely need to reinvent the wheel, I suggest buying delrin rod for ID, some sort of plastic tube for OD of joint and same plastic (abs?) Sheet to cage the bearings. Glue with proper glue and fabricobble it yourself.
>>
>>1000328
Knex are huge though. Nowhere close to the size I need
>>
>>1000319
The bike chain things are pretty close, but I'd really prefer there not to be a gap in the middle. Also, if possible, those little plates on the outside? I'd prefer them to have a straight edge, like without that little dip. Still I might end up going the chain route as it's cheap and pretty close, but I'm not in any hurry to make this thing so I'd like to feel out some more possibilities.
>>
File: SketchUp_2016-05-28_18-13-12.png (58 KB, 806x849) Image search: [Google]
SketchUp_2016-05-28_18-13-12.png
58 KB, 806x849
Here's another view of what I'm trying to accomplish, just in case it helps to spark someone's imagination. Both of those inner pieces need to be able to move independently. Maybe there's another way to join them all together that I'm just not thinking about. Different perspectives are always welcome, so long as they come close to meeting the goal.
>>
>>1000343
How much space do you have to work with? Are you limited to 8x4x4 mm? because that's pretty tiny and there are going to issues with holding poses and bearing weight
>>
File: 20160528_163211.jpg (1002 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160528_163211.jpg
1002 KB, 2560x1440
I actually designed and 3d printed a joint that looks a lot like that. I'd suggest finding someone with a 3d printer, and simplifying the design a bit more. more parts means more points of failure.
>>
I could probably go a little bigger, but not much.
>>
>>1000396
That looks...pretty damn good. I would prefer it to have a plate on both sides though. Not only because I find it aesthetically pleasing, but it just seems like it would be more...sturdy that way. Like with the two outer plates holding themselves together.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.