[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
making a lighter great again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: swank.jpg (689 KB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
swank.jpg
689 KB, 1456x2592
I bought this lighter at an estate sale for 2 bucks based purely on its look and the name. Its from a now defunct company called Swank and is from the 70's. Is there any way to replace the Flint and put more butane in this? I don't really know about this stuff but I wanna see this thing light because it looks so cool. I'll be posting more pictures of the components.
>>
File: swank2.jpg (696 KB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
swank2.jpg
696 KB, 1456x2592
Apologize for shit tier quality, but this is the bottom of the lighter. The hole is where the butane goes in. The paper that came with the lighter said that you need an adapter to put non-swank butane into it. The screw thing next to the lighter hole is where the flint comes out
>>
File: flint.jpg (647 KB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
flint.jpg
647 KB, 1456x2592
This is the Flint. I think it's pretty much spent because no sparks come when I click the lighter, but I could just be retarded. Do they sell Flint in this style anymore? Can I just go to the store and buy a normal Zippo/bic Flint? Will I have to jerry-rig Flint into this casing?
>>
>>1000123
>monitoring this thread
>>
>>1000129
Yes you can actually but Zippo flints. That's exactly how a Zippo glint chamber works with that long spring.
>>
>>1000129
Zippo flint are pretty cheap. Go ahead and get some and see if they fit. If it fits, I doubt it will damage anything. Seeing that you only spent 2 bux, I would get butane and see if that fits as well.
>>
>>1000129
And I want to add that what you are holding is not a flint. That is the spring. Flint gets pushed by that into the abrasive roller(idk lighter anatomy).
>>
>>1000138
Also you can get a butane can to load her up. Usually these lighter butane cans come with a ton of adapters so you can check each one and see what fits.
>>
Can we get a pic of the top when open?

My cheap zippo pulls out of its outer sleeve from the top when open. It appears yours has a valve on the bottom that works like a tire fill valve.

Flint and steel are required for the spark. It looks like the spring that pushes the flint up is good. So long as the flint fits in the hole where the spring was it will work (and doesn't come shooting out of the sparking mechanism.) I buy my flint and butane at drug stores.
>>
>>1000145
This, most butane cans come with five or six different adapters, some dual function. Worst case look for lighter enthusiast forums online and see if they have any tips. (pun not intended)
>>
File: lighter.jpg (617 KB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
lighter.jpg
617 KB, 1456x2592
Put a new Flint and butane in and I got some fire but I can't make a seal when I fill it up so I lose a lot of the butane. Anyone have any ideas on how I'd do that?
>>
>>1000710
You may be using the wrong tip or not pressing hard enough.
>>
>>1000710
press harder
I don't use any adapter to fill lighters up
>>
>>1000710
I can say, that I had about 10 reloadable lighters and never I could reload it, never. That's my advice for you -- don't waste your time.
>>
>>1000710
Hold the lighter upside down while filling
>>
>>1000710
>>1000803
>>1000755
this is bullshit. Legit butane sprays everywhere and i get about 1 min of flame before whatever i managed to get in their runs out.
Fuck this shit zippos all day
>>
>>1002301
On most cans there are adapters in the lid. In the seventies it was like early mobile phone chargers, no standardisation. So each company used different nozzles, Rolson, Cartier etc.

Just try them all and don't be heavy handed!
>>
>>1000710
The o.ring that makes the seal between the valve and the refiller bottle is probably rotten or out of place. I don't know if it can be replaced.
>>
>>1002311
tried every damn one
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.