[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'll just leave this here...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 10
File: Batman creator Bob Kane c. 1965.jpg (1 MB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
Batman creator Bob Kane c. 1965.jpg
1 MB, 2048x2048
>>
"Bob had gotten to the point where he never drew anything. Never drew anything on the Batman comics, anyway. [Sheldon] Moldoff was ghosting them all and when he didn't, someone else did. The only thing I think Bob ever drew was when we'd be out somewhere, in a restaurant or someplace, and a pretty girl would come over to him and say, 'Are you really the man who draws Batman?' Then he could whip out a little sketch for her, a big sketch if she was wearing something low-cut and would bend over to watch him draw.

One day I'm over at his house to discuss this newspaper strip idea we had and he's talking about who we might get to draw it. I was going to write it and we were going to get someone else to draw it. I'm not sure what Bob was going to do on it except sign his name. I said to him, 'Bob, isn't it disappointing to you that you don't draw any more? You were once such a great artist.' He wasn't but you had to talk to Bob that way.
>>
He said, 'Oh, no. Let me show you something.' He took me into a little room in his house. It was his studio. I didn't even know he still had a studio. It was all set up with easels and things and there were paintings, paintings of clowns. You know the kind. Like the ones Red Skelton used to do. Just these insipid portraits of clowns, all signed very large, 'Bob Kane.' He was so proud of them. He said, 'These are the paintings that are going to make me in the world of art. Batman was a big deal in one world and these paintings will soon be in every gallery in the world.' He thought the Louvre was going to take down the Mona Lisa to put up his clown paintings. I didn't have the heart to tell him.

So a few months later, I'm up at DC and I ran into Eddie Herron. Eddie was another writer up there and we got to talking and Bob's name came up. Eddie said, 'Did you hear? Bob's getting sued by one of his ghost artists.'

I said, 'How is that possible? Shelly Moldoff's suing Bob? But they had a clear deal. Shelly knew he wasn't going to get credit or anything...'

Eddie said, 'No, not Shelly.' Bob was being sued by the person who'd painted the clowns for him"
>>
>>77448359
as an artist (failed and if not for a secondary/primary job starving and yet studied ) i fucking hate ass holes like him, there's plenty in the "scene" and really lots who make money
>>
Wut
>>
Everything I've heard of Bob Kane makes him sound like a hack who had a few good ideas.

Plus, he wasn't that great of an artist anyway.
>>
someone post Steranko
>>
File: Walt_Mickey.jpg (55 KB, 752x500) Image search: [Google]
Walt_Mickey.jpg
55 KB, 752x500
>>
>>77448516
I like the funeral story.
>>
>>77448516
I'm sick of this meme the guy didn't make that many comics
>>
>>77448407
kek
>>
File: Steranko.jpg (286 KB, 1047x1572) Image search: [Google]
Steranko.jpg
286 KB, 1047x1572
>I’d hadn’t encountered Kane in my travels, but at one rockin’ SDCC, an associate asked me if I wanted to meet him,
>and walked me into a hallway. There he was, in a small group of people, wearing patent-leather shoes–

>and an ASCOT, like he was Vitamin f******g Flintheart in a Dick Tracy cartoon.

>For years, I’d heard how he’d taken credit for Bill Finger’s contributions (in addition to half his pay) and other

>despicable tales from his associates. But nothing aces an in-person encounter. We were introduced and Kane began talking

>about my Batman chapter in the HISTORY OF COMICS, which treated him–and everyone else–very respectfully.

>He felt I credited Robinson & Finger (both of whom I knew intimately) too much. Kane (aka Kahn) was beyond pretentious,

>an intolerable ass as pompous as they come. I bit my tongue while he regaled us with his many achievements.

>The group was waiting for an elevator, which they stepped into when the door opened. Our conversation ended,

>but not before he said: “See you later, Jim, baby,”

>and cuffed me across the face–like some rat-pack street gesture he’d seen in some cheap flick. The doors closed…
>>
File: Stan_Lee_by_Gage_Skidmore_3.jpg (106 KB, 800x1048) Image search: [Google]
Stan_Lee_by_Gage_Skidmore_3.jpg
106 KB, 800x1048
>>
>>77448574
>I was stunned by the sheer audacity of a stranger–like him–to lay a hand on me, and boiling with anger.

>That night, I couldn’t sleep and the next morning began combing the halls for his Bat Majesty. Around noon, I found him

>in another group, which I walked into. “Good to see you, Bob, baby!” I said, then bitch-slapped him across the face.

>But this time, there was no elevator door closing between us. I stood there for about 15 seconds, waiting. He did nothing.

>I turned and left. But I regret it now. I regret that he didn’t do anything about it,

>even though he was at least a head taller than me. I wouldn’t have minded bleeding at all for one more opportunity
>to give Kane the kind of Bat Lesson that Finger, Robinson, Sprang and others only dreamed of.
>>
>>77448539
What happened to Oswald, Walt? Why did you abandon him like prom night dumpster baby?
>>
>>77448574
>>77448584
apologies for erratic formatting
lazily transferred from tweets
>>
File: 1441878309559.gif (537 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1441878309559.gif
537 KB, 500x281
>>77448574
>>77448584
Is this true?
>>
>>77448577

All of the Lee stories involving Bob Kane are gold.
>>
>>77448615
it is a mystery

steranko's twitter account is not verified and i am not sure if he has commented on the tale in some other venue
>>
>>77448628
Im pretty sure its him since he talks about appearances he will be making at conventions
>>
>>77448628

From the mouth of God.
https://youtu.be/fadzZwx85e0
>>
>>77448659
you are a scholar and a good man
>>
>>77448440

Bob Kane was a scammer riding on coattails of other artists to take all the fame for himself while doing absolutely nothing noteworthy by himself.

Hell, his original design for Batman was fucking atrocious.
>>
>>77448659
>That "Pulsar Stargrave" guy in the comments fellating Bob Kane
What a jackass.
>>
>>77448701
>reading youtube comments
no anon don't

oh shit is pizza bread guys help captcha is hard
>>
File: joker8244299.jpg (9 KB, 258x259) Image search: [Google]
joker8244299.jpg
9 KB, 258x259
>>77448397
>>77448407
>>
Anyone got that funeral story?
>>
>>77448359
HAND OF GOD CREATION!
>>
File: You_don't_say.png (58 KB, 498x415) Image search: [Google]
You_don't_say.png
58 KB, 498x415
>>77449145
nicolas cage is the jpker?
>>
File: 1446251259612.jpg (14 KB, 191x226) Image search: [Google]
1446251259612.jpg
14 KB, 191x226
>>77448407
HAHAHAHAHA oh fuck...
>>
File: 19dfys1yex2wxjpg.jpg (148 KB, 636x890) Image search: [Google]
19dfys1yex2wxjpg.jpg
148 KB, 636x890
>>77448504
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.