[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are people like Snyder so in love with Superman as a Christ
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: batman-vs-superman.jpg (81 KB, 1100x732) Image search: [Google]
batman-vs-superman.jpg
81 KB, 1100x732
Why are people like Snyder so in love with Superman as a Christ allegory when he was invented by two Jews and inspired by Friedrich Nietzsche's concept of the Ubermensch.

I guess both serve the function of being an ideal of humanity. But Christ is unapproachable, while the other is a concept you can actually strive towards achieving.
>>
Superman in almost every modern interpretation is the Nietzschean Ubermensch, with Latin morality. I explained it in many threads so far, Nietzsche demands only that your will of following your beliefs is absolute, he doesn't specify what kind of beliefs should they be. In "Thus Spake Zarathustra" it's implicitly stated that Ubermensch is the same men as the Christian saint from, say XIII century, but since humanity degenerated into tartuffian cancer of hypocrites and whores, you can't go back to purity, you have to break farther.

Supes is just a really, really good man with strong will and with possibilities far beyond anybody else. He just makes use of them in the way he seems fit. It's all because of his good, classical upbringing and, as I say, indomitable will.
>>
>>82849983
The problem is that Christianity has stylized Jesus and all saints to a degree that there's nothing there connecting them to humanity.
They're so above it.
And Snyder basically did the same with Superman.
That's why it rings so hollow whenever he interacts with Lois or gets emotional. It feels out of place. He really is an alien. It seems like all humanity does is weigh him down.

And that's what I kind of hate about this version of Superman. Because there's nothing he can do about it.
>>
>>82850134
The point is that once there wasn't that fucking propaganda that people are incapable of perfecting their souls and everyone is weak and flawed

Even the original sin concept was as steps for which we can ascend to sainthood. it's only in our day and age that we grovel beneath the carnal desires and weaknesses so much (pardon the language, but it's easier to express what I'm about like that).

Every medieval story, every saint, every great knight or greatest of kings were depicted as capable of overcoming their inherent, human flaws. I'm not an expert on the Bible, but I'm pretty sure Jesus is depicted, especially in Matthew's, as very, very human - hence the tempting, hence the "Father take this chalice away from me" moment. Not to mention St. Peter, Thomas the Apostle, St Paul... The same goes with everybody from ancient times - Hector, Aeneas, Roland, even people who became tropes later - El Cid, Zawisza the Black and so forth.

I agree about the Snyder version, but it's just due to him being a retard and cultural illiterate. He's like a butcher's apprentice working in Paris' best restaurant here. Again I say - Cavill deserved better.
>>
>>82850134
>>82849801
superman in the Richard Donner movie was loaded with jesus allegory as well, as a "guide" sent to help humanity.

which kind of miss the point that Clark Kent is more of an alien refugee fleeing from disaster in his homeland.
>>
>>82850289
I guess it's more of a sickness of modern Christianity that Jesus has to be flawless and inhuman.
I think when Martin Scorsese made"The last temptation of Christ" a lot of militant groups wanted his head for having the gall of showing Jesus as a man, with insecurities and desires like everyone else.

I kinda feel reminded of the way T.H White portrays Galahad, who is usually described as the perfect and flawless knight and worthy of finding the Holy Grail.
But in The Once and Future King he's so disconnected from everything human and so perfect, that he makes people's skin crawl and they try to avoid him.
Especially his dad Lancelot, who in stark contrast is always battling his inner demons.

That's why Lancelot is a hero in the story, while Galahad is for the most part only mentioned in passing.
>>
>invented by two Jews
This has literally nothing to do with anything.
>inspired by Friedrich Nietzsche's concept of the Ubermensch.
Jesus was one of the figures that inspired the concept of the Ubermensch.
>But Christ is unapproachable
Just like Superman is unapproachable by the average human.

I don't think that a christian allegory fits with Superman's type of story or that Snyder did well, but of all the arguments against it you picked the stupidest possible.
>>
>>82849801
wasn't he samson

snyder is a hack btw
>>
>Jews
>not christ
????????
>>
>>82850493
>the gall of showing Jesus as a man, with insecurities and desires like everyone else.

why would they? that's literally in the bible
one of the most celebrated and known moments is when Jesus begs God to change his plan and not make him die in the Gethsemane
>>
>>82850658
The Jews had Christ killed and made Him a laughing stock
>>
>>82850691
But jesus was a rabbi
>>
>>82849801

Because Superman is literally Super-Jesus, and there's nothing wrong with that unless you're a fedora tipper.
>>
>>82850691
But that's a myth spread by the Christians you ignorant fuck
>>
>>82850683
Because people are assholes.
And they like revising the bible to fulfill whatever agenda they like.
The idea of Jesus being human doesn't serve and the idea of Jesus being critical of the rich doesn't either.

How many TV evangelists have private jets these days? I lost count.
>>
> The very name Kal-El alludes to one of the many Hebrew names for God, El (אל). It is very important at this point to differentiate between Judaism and Christianity. Many writers and artists over the years have continually attempted to compare Superman with Christ, which fundamentally misunderstands the Jewish subtext of the character in lieu of a more shallow comparison. While Jesus of Nazareth claimed to be the Messiah foretold in the Book of Isaiah, he is thus regarded by Judaism as a false prophet. And in a time where Jews have been scattered all over the world due to constant persecution and about to experience the most massive purging and genocide of their people known to history, could the Jewish Messiah really have been born in the realm of fiction? Superman crashed onto his imaginary world in a spaceship, he crashed into our world in a comic book.

>In The Birth of Tragedy, Nietzsche describes another critical dichotomy that he claims to be crucial to the essential impulses of creativity: the APOLLONIAN and DIONYSIAN. Reason and irrationality. Order and chaos. Beauty and asymmetry. Nietzsche argued that all great art must be a balanced fusion of both and bemoaned his assertion that nothing since the ancient Greek tragedies could qualify as such. If only he had been alive to read a Superman comic! With his incorruptible morality and circus-strongman inspired costume, this combination of Apollonian humanistic idealism with Dionysian absurdist spectacle is the most overlooked yet most pivotal element of the Superman’s (and subsequently superheroes in general) enduring cultural value.
>>
>>82851141
> After Nietzsche declared the death of God in Thus Spoke Zarathustra, he acknowledged that humanity must find a new ideal to strive for before lapsing into the destructive abyss of nihilism. This ideal was the ÜBERMENSCH, the final step in our evolution from worms and beasts. Our current state of being human, according to Nietzsche, was only a temporary period of religious hysteria, despotic tyrants, and unbridled suffering. Only by rejecting so-called outdated modes of morality can man become Superman. But after the concept would inadvertently inspire the ideologies of the most murderous** regimes known to history (such as the Aryan master race ideal for the Third Reich or the “New Soviet Man” of the Bolsheviks), the ÜBERMENSCH would have to seek its redemption in comics.
>>
>>82850842
Shlomo pls
>>
>>82849801
>Christ is unapproachable

Bullshit, Jesus was a total bro
>>
>>82850691
Wasn't it the Romans that killed him?
>>
>>82851186
pls
>>
>>82850691
And they were right to do so.
When you go beyond the religious crap, you have Jesus, guru of a sect in roman land full of jews.
Of course, like in many modern sect, he is the son of a divinity and knows the truth. His adepts give up their wealth and previous religion to follow him, which probably cut them off from their families.
When he is arrested, all those families with estranged parents (son, daughter, husband, wife...) want revenge on the guru. So they choose to pardon the outlaw who killed one man rather than Jesus, the man who stole tens if not hundreds of their loved ones.
>>
>>82851390
t. Jew
>>
>>82849801
Nietzschean Ubermensch + Hebrew Religious figures + John Carter of Mars + Greek Myths + Vigilante Fiction + Immigrant experience = Superman
Christ allegories came later, but there was a lot of influence besides just Nietzsche there.
>>
>>82851441
True, but all of those are more interesting than the Jesus allegory.
It's a damn shame, that that's all that Snyder seems to care about.
>>
>>82849801
The ubermensch is not achievable, or even approachable, pseuds who think this is true trigger me so much. Jesus christ did you people even read Nietzsche
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.