[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/co/ what line does a comic artist have to cross in order to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
/co/ what line does a comic artist have to cross in order to be considered a "Cartoonist?"

At first, i thought it was only limited to people on comic strips like Peanuts and Garfield.

But recently, I found out artists like Darwyne Cooke (DC: The New Frontier) is considered a Cartoonist as well.

So if it's not comic strips... and it's not the humor genre... (since Darwyn Cooke has done full drama stuff)

I narrowed it down to... it must be the art style. If it simply looks cartoony, they must be a "Cartoonist."

But then... why are artists like Humberto Ramos and Babs Tarr considered comic artist instead?
You can check an artists wikipedia and some of them have the label Cartoonist and some don't. They have pretty cartoony styles in my opinion.

The point is, I don't know at what point one is considered a "Cartoonist." Because if the answer had to do with style, isn't everyone's art style a little bit exaggerated in ways? You could even say all comic artists are cartoony because they exaggerate muscles and anatomy.

I'm curious and confused /co/. Let's discuss this topic.
>>
File: Dr-Seuss.jpg (110 KB, 460x270) Image search: [Google]
Dr-Seuss.jpg
110 KB, 460x270
bump
>>
I don't have a real answer for you, but in my books it's about being more from the animation school than the illustration side of things.

The former being more cartoonists, its about how they build the figure and more of an emphasis on movement as opposed to creating a detailed scene. Cartoonists emphasize things like squash and stretch, illustration based comic artists would focus more on line quality and the scene as a whole. So someone like Tarr might have a toony style, but the way she draws her figures and scenes is far more illustrative to me

This is a good topic.
>>
As someone in the art industry, it really depends on what you want to sell yourself as. I prefer to use "illustrator" when submitting for a new gig or contract job, and my business card says "Graphic artist and Illustrator".

However you can change it depending on what you're trying to do. Like with my web comic, I'd say I'm the cartoonist or illustrator. I wouldn't say comic artist since it's so cartoony I personally don't think it's quite "artsy" enough.
>>
>>77358114
I think exaggerated expressions and moods are more important for a cartoonist than exaggerated anatomy

Also some level of authorship. Ed Piskor writes, pencils, inks, colors, and letters his work. No one, other than maybe an editor, ever touches his work except himself
>>
File: babs.jpg (234 KB, 630x949) Image search: [Google]
babs.jpg
234 KB, 630x949
>>77358695

I actually really like your answer! Babs Tarr's art does actually look more illustrative. I can imagine Darwyn Cooke's figures animating in a cartoon more so than Babs art. Although, it is pretty darn close if edited for animation.

Cooool yeah, I'm starting to see it!
>>
>>77358814
>I can imagine Darwyn Cooke's figures animating in a cartoon
Well he did work on Batman the Animated series
>>
comic-artist = illustrator who works full-time on monthly funnybooks
cartoonist = illustrator who only works on mini-series, OGNs and comic-strips
>>
>>77358114
I think it carries with it connotations of writing as well as drawing. For instance, I would call Mike Allred's work on Silver Surfer "comic book art" and his series Madman the product of a cartoonist.
>>
>>77358114
Does anyone have the C.C. Beck quote about this?
>>
>>77360919

I'm very interested! Please share the quote.
>>
I always used the terms interchangeably
>>
>>77360167
I think you can be a cartoonist and only be involved in the drawing, I mean C.C. Beck wasn't writing Captain Marvel and Alex Toth wasn't writing most of his work and they're both people I would call cartoonists
>>
Stuff like OP I would call cartoonists.

Simplified stuff or stuff with sense of movement.

Illustrators are people like Alex Ross or Tim Sale.

Slightly off topic, you guys ever read ALIEEEN? Definitely fits with "cartoonist" more but this stuff is definitely interesting.
>>
>>77361096
>Toth
Yeah....I agree, but I don't know how else to qualify it. There's a level of craftsmanship involved with cartooning, like the difference between a "cameraman" and a "cinematographer." You're right though. "Did he write it?" isn't the best criteria.
>>
People who write, draw, letter and possibly but necessarily self-publish their own work?
>>
>>77358114
A cartoonist is someone who draws comics. It's not hard to understand
>>
It might be wrong, but in my mind a cartoonist is someone who does the writing and art for something. Sure there are exceptions, but people I would consider cartoonists are people like Daniel Clowes, Chester Brown, Charles Burns just as easily as I would Jeff Smith, so I can say for a fact I don't factor in the "cartoony aspect".
>>
You'll know it when you see it
>>
>>77358114
A cartoonist does all the stuff for their work. If he's the only name on the cover, he's a cartoonist.
>>
File: image.jpg (289 KB, 1133x937) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
289 KB, 1133x937
>>77361096
Maybe it's also about composing the scene yourself too? I was surprised when I got the deluxe versions of Morrison's Batrun to find that he had literally designed many of the actual covers or scenes himself, he had a lot of talented people but they were just used to basically fully render his pieces rather than create their own illustrations.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.