[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Decompression
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1451600760282.jpg (31 KB, 347x347) Image search: [Google]
1451600760282.jpg
31 KB, 347x347
Decompression in its current form was mistake.

These days, writers more often than not stretch out a single issue story to four, which in theory should mean more content like character development and worldbuilding, but in practice, it's an excuse for laziness due to easily padded out scripts. Artists don't care because they get the same amount of work either way. For the readers, it means they get less story for the several months they have to wait for a storyline to conclude.

Single issues need to become the norm again rather than the exception, and efforts should be made to introduce the anthology format to certain series where it has the potential to thrive(Legion of Super-Heroes and Green Lantern, for example).
>>
>>82595520

Holy Shit. Katara was hot.
>>
File: considering the following.pngS.png (96 KB, 587x337) Image search: [Google]
considering the following.pngS.png
96 KB, 587x337
Decompression works well for certain stories and characters, and not very for other stories and characters.
>>
I was with you until

>and efforts should be made to introduce the anthology format

and I got worried but then you got me back with

>to certain series where it has the potential to thrive(Legion of Super-Heroes and Green Lantern, for example).

and that seems fine. I guess anthology is technically correct but it made me think of shit like how the Amethyst book had Beowulf backups and I was paying an extra dollar for that story I didn't want. If it's just closely related short stories then I'm ok with it.
>>
>>82595887
>If it's just closely related short stories then I'm ok with it.
Well yeah. With those two specifically, there are so many characters, that one could easily do a "Legionnaire/Lantern of the month" kind of thing.
>>
>>82595520
Then why has it worked for manga for decades? I agree that it's overused and used in the wrong instances, but there's nothing wrong with decompression inherently. It works well in manga because it's typically not overused like it is in western comics.
>>
>>82595994
Man manga writers mostly work every week. or at least the Shonen people do.
>>
>>82595994
I think OP means that you should use the extra space to actually do things. Like even obviously with NA comics there are some guys like (I guess he is a meme pick now) Tom King who can generally deliver a satisfying single issue that's still part of a decompressed arc, but for a lot of other creators it's just wasting space. Drawing out action sequences for multiple pages for no reason. Friendships and romantic relationships you're told about with a hug or kiss and no actual meaningful interactions or anything. It's shitty. So many issues you can pick up and feel like nothing happened and that's a shame.
>>
>>82595994
You just answered your own question. The problem is that it is overused and has become more an excuse for laziness rather than a platform for more substantial content like it should be.
>>
>>82595994
I don't think it has worked for manga. That shit is incredibly tedious to read. And it isn't done for the sake of the story its done to squeeze out every last cent aby given manga is worth. Its awful.
>>
>>82595887
But the Beowulf back-ups were the best part of that book.
>>
>>82596178
Exactly. You'd think with all that extra space, the writer would actually flesh out the characters and setting a little more, but nope. Have a ton of two-page spreads, bad jokes, and overly drawn out fight scenes instead. That's worth your time and money, right?

>>82596525
This. Most manga nowadays is heavily serialized, and it's usually to the story's detriment.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.