[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /co/s opinion on 90's Marvel Cartoon verse.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
What's /co/s opinion on 90's Marvel Cartoon verse.

I haven't watched The Xmen nor Iron Man or Hulk in it's entirety, but as a kid I watched all of Spiderman and it was my introduction into Marvel.

I can't remember it being good or bad, because I was too young to care, I was just happy Superheroes were on screen .
>>
>>82410398
BOOOOMP
>>
90's Spider-Man
>superb voice acting, from some damn good voice actors "borrowed" from BTAS (Roscoe Lee Browne, Ed Asner, Mark Hamill, to name but three)
>animation ranged from "pretty good" to "obviously recycled"
>story arcs got progressively nuttier, but (mostly) maintained the show's internal logic

X-Men
>Solid animation/character designs throughout, barring the last season where they clearly had their budget slashed
>condensed and excised the goofier aspects of X-Men continuity e.g. Cable
>voice acting/dialogue is either downright amazing (John Colicos as Apocalypse) or kinda goofy (THIS ONE'S FOR YOU, MORPH!)

Fantastic Four/Iron Man
>both started out as goofy kiddy bullshit, but then serious'd the fuck up in their second seasons with a serious improvement in animation/character designs
>voice acting was good for both shows (I still read The Thing's dialogue in Chuck McCann's voice, and who doesn't want Tony Jay as Galactus?)

The Incredible Hulk
>opposite of IM/FF cartoons - started out with AMAZING everything, with genuinely dark moments, before turning into goofy bullshit with the second season
>seriously, the only reason to watch season 2 is to jack it to She-Hulk

The Silver Surfer
>kinda of an odd duck, in that it broke from the continuity of established cartoons and was a lot more introspective in tone
>still amazing, though
>emulated Jack Kirby's art style perfectly
>"borrowed" a lot of voice actors from the X-Men cartoon
>Thanos was in a few episodes, only he was in love with a statue, not Death itself (good way to get around the censors, and made him a LOT more creepy)
>overall, a really excellent series that should've gotten another season (it did that stupid "end on a cliffhanger" bullshit every other 90's action cartoon did)

Avengers: United We Stand
>kinda shit, but the suit-up sequences were pretty good
>you could maybe jack it to Tigra
>... that's about it
>>
>>82410398
I thnk i'm the only person who liked the one where spiderman went to space
>>
>>82410398
I know there are probably not the best shows ever made but damn i fucking love their art style, especially when this is about mutant shit on Spider-Man, i don't know i like this kind of shit, this is cool.
>>
>>82410677
So would you prefer all those cartoons with the exception of Avengers?
>>
>>82410398
>great mimic of comic style
>mediocre animation
>great writing that goes into the human struggle and shows a variety literary awareness
>pure camp and soap opera-ish

It covered a lot of stuff. Overall enjoyable.
>>
>>82410677
And what about the second show of Spider-man who take place in the future?
>>
>>82410398
Spider-Man is damn near unwatchable today. X-Men is better but still weak.

I never got into the FF/IM/Hulk cartoons, they were on sunday mornings where I lived and I had church.

Surfer was great, helps that it only had one season.

Avengers was an abomination and painful to watch.

Still sad we never got that Cap series but, you know. Nazi's.
>>
>>82410398
It introduced me to Marvel and comics. I really enjoyed all the shows though I didn't manage to watch the silver surfer until way later when I got a pc.
>>
Why does DC do so much better animation than Marvel?
>>
>>82410765
Well, it a matter of what DC values more so than Marvel.

Same could be said about films.
>>
>>82410744
you mean alternate dimension
great show poor cape cartoon.
>>
File: timmanddini.gif (82 KB, 390x271) Image search: [Google]
timmanddini.gif
82 KB, 390x271
>>82410765
Bruce Timm and Paul Dini
These two guys fought like mad men to create the vision of comics transition over to animation. They understood the balance of things and didn't want to 1 for 1 a hero or villain's origin that was either to convoluted or just plain silly for the generation watching and were willing to overhaul characters and push them out even when WB was disagreeing with it. They were huge fanboys with a goal to make good animation for all ages not just kids, but they also had the needed awareness to understand that a hero isn't the suit, or the origin, the hero is the ideal, the heart, a hero is what they do in the heat of battle, of what they say when a crowd looks onward and asks "who will help us?". Who they are at their core, not what viewers think, not what corporate talking heads want, but what makes Super-man, Super-man and "how do we make this enjoyable to watch?"
These two fellows set the bedrock of what all future animated DC projects followed for decades and as such has lead to such a animated empire where one that watch Bat-man TAS in elementary school would then be watching that same Bat-man in Justice League Unlimited when entering college. It was a powerful time for that kind of animation and will likely never happen again sadly.
It's heart breaking that no one in the film industry had this kind of passion for the heroes or we might have had a better out come than BvS dawn of embarrassment
>>
>>82411048
/sperg
>>
>>82410728
Also, skip the last seasons of X-Men and Incredible Hulk. The first seasons of Fantastic Four and Iron Man are hardly essential, but if you have a low goofiness threshold then you're better off skipping them.
>>82410744
>>82410852
I forgot about that one. It was okay, but unless you've got a big thing for 90's sci-fi and vaguely cyberpunky stuff then you might as well skip it.
>>82411228
>somebody gives a well thought out answer
>LOL AUTISM
>>
File: Untitled.png (167 KB, 1850x325) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
167 KB, 1850x325
>>82411048
Sounds good to me.
>>
>>82410398
It was fun romp but like the Xmen show and some others they got stupid silly as time went on and you could tell they were just phoning in plots
>>82411048
I always enjoyed the interviews where they pissed of WB executives when they were told "fine do this but if it fails we own you" and it always turn out the other way and WB was begrudging keeping them around because everything they did printed money but they hated it because it was a constant reminder of how out of touch they were. I'm happy Timm is finally getting his shot at actually making the killing joke. I guess third time really is the charm.
>>82411228
Shut up Synder.
>>
>>82410697
Spider-Man Unlimited looked awesome, had great designs and had the best Intro out of all the marvel shows. But I couldn't get into it because it was so weird.
>>
>>82412302
That whole show was originally pitch as Warlock and the Watch but Fox didn't think that would sell all that great and felt Silver Suffer would work better for the Watch and all(hence why so many members of the Watch were introduced) but they still like the idea so they made a convoluted plot to get Spidey and at the time "human sidekick" running on the exact same plot concept.
To be blunt I think that's why it failed, you were watching a really weird elseworlds story about Spider-man in a long term situation that would never happen in the comics. Friendly street hero to upraising rebel leader against cyber punk space animals? Was just to disconnected from the hero's persona to ever work.
>>
>>82411048
You can't put it better than that
>>
>>82410677
>"borrowed" a lot of voice actors from the X-Men cartoon
well it was the same VA studio that should be expected
>>
>>82410398
X-Men '92 and Spider-Man were GOAT for Marvel until Evolution, although I still prefer both formers to the latter.
The rest aren't worth mentioning, but Spider-Man Unlimited is worth mentioning how fucking terrible it was.
>>
>>82415407
Spider-Man Unlimited would have been a good show if it had a hero more suited for that world than Spider-man.
Could have been a lot crazier thought. At ne point they pen an episode that was Moon boy and Devil Dinosaur hunting down the rebels and the script had Moon and Devil more like a Dino Rider like team with guns on Devil's head and a giant volt engine on his belly.

I'm pretty sure Unlimited's writers were on hard drugs at that time.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.