[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This man seems to be hated on /co/ these days. Let's have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 600x300
This man seems to be hated on /co/ these days.
Let's have a discussion on why that is.

I will remain neutral in order to keep the dialogue unbaised to start with.
>>
I don't like all of his work, but Animal Man was really the first comic to get me into comics, and I love Doom Patrol, Final Crisis, All-Star Superman and Multiversity.
>>
One-trick pony with the most obnoxious fanbase.
>>
>>84584612
>This man seems to be hated on /co/ these day
Aren't most people hated on /co/ these days?
>>
>>84584612
He inserted himself in Batman run as Damian, he said Baman is gay, also says the death of damian meant to be the daddy/mommy issues, since he said Batman is Gay ergo Morrison's Dad is gay .

So, is he mad with his father for being gay or his father raped him?
>>
>DC console war faggots have been on the back foot since Man of Steel and are hyper-defensive

>Grant Morrison refuses to write ongoings for DC anymore
>if Grant was never good to begin with, his current absence doesn't matter
>therefore, Grant Morrison is and always was terrible

It's not complicated
>>
>>84584612
He's fine. I used to think he was a silly, pretentious fuck, but now I guess I've just accepted that his sort of preferred metacommentary isn't for me.
>>
I've read a few things of his I enjoyed.

Mostly I just really like his concepting, but in execution he really seems to fall flat, but he creates good-great fodder for other writers.
>>
/co/ is mostly /tv/ and /pol/ crossposters now and those people don't read comics and Morrison and Morrison fans are like poison if you don't read comics. No quips or capeshit adaptations in sight.
>>
I don't hate Grant Morrison or his work, I hate the fans he has on /co/

> You didn't like x, well clearly you just didn't understand it
>>
>>84584675
He also said he was going to get the DC universe drunk and fuck her in the mouth so I'd say his word is dubious at best.
>>
>Why does Grant Morrison get so much hate?
>Why does Grant Morrison get so much love?
/co/ is not a Hivemind, you fucking spergs. We have these threads every other day. Just say you want to have a Grant Morrison thread.
>>
>>84585041
n'joi ur ban!
>>
>>84584920
> You didn't like x, well clearly you just didn't understand it

People wouldn't say this if it wasn't true a lot of the time though. Final Crisis probably solidified this narrative.

Complaints about execution are valid but most of the time it's people bitching while misrepresenting what they read.
>>
Little off topic.

Has he ever written some Doctor Strange comic or magic related hero? I know he loves magic stuff and this shit even appears in Morrison's works in some subtle way, but i don't know if he made something where magic is the central point of the history.
Same thing for Alan Moore.
>>
>>84585237
He did the Zatanna mini in seven soldiers, and that's it I think. Magic isn't really central to the main plot, but to Zatanna's story, it's does play a part.
>>
>>84585237
Some magic DC guys were in animal man at one point.
>>
>>84584612
Mixed bag. I quite enjoyed his Batman run, but All-Star Superman did not impress me too much. Pleb taste, I know.
>>
>>84586010
Superman Beyond 3D is better than ASS imo
>>
>>84586035
> comic drawn by Mahnke better than Quietly
Impossible
>>
>>84586010
I preferred his action comics. I love ASS and the issue #6 was my favourite Superman story of all time, but not all of Morrison's story arcs in it captivate me. I love Quitely's art and the atmosphere he and Morrison created.
>>
>>84586361
Mahnke is great tho
>>
File: thats not glycon.jpg (67 KB, 528x864) Image search: [Google]
thats not glycon.jpg
67 KB, 528x864
He doesn't have a Zubat.
>>
I don't trust bald people
>>
zenith is one of my favorite comics
>>
>>84584612
He's a great guy. Just ask him and he'll tell you so.
>>
https://youtu.be/Fut9DHWzi50
It's his fans that piss me off the most. Maybe i just hate Kevin Smith but he's an accurate representation of over glorifying Morrison
>>
>>84587284
kek
>>
File: Jason King.jpg (64 KB, 590x350) Image search: [Google]
Jason King.jpg
64 KB, 590x350
>>84584612
-He started as an "I'm too cool for capes..oh yeah America sucks." UK invasion writer.
-in the 90's said that Vertigo was the future, capes are dead. Vertigo fans were also superior 'don't wear basketball jerseys or baseball caps'
-switched to manga "Western comics are dead, manga is the future."
-Shits on Captain America in Skrull Kill Crew, makes it seem like he is responsible for Newt Gingrich
-his insane ego thought he was personally responsible for 9-11 "I must fix this." Thought that ending all comic book characters secret identities would fix the world.
-Health problems. Lost hair.
-realized he hit middle age and switched from being underground music scene guy to imitating Peter Wyngarde's character TV character Jason King in his public appearances.
-brags all the time that he reads lots of science articles but doesn't really understand them.
-When he hit his 50's began to look at feathering his nest for retirement. Suddenly 'loves' capes again.
-Shoehorns a character into the Batman mythos that can never ever be removed so he can cash pub fees and other payments from DC's character compensation program for the rest of his life.
-Screws Mike W. Barr over by SCREAMING over & over again that Damien is NOT the baby at the end of 'Son of the Demon'.
-Multiversity just goes all the way back to his Animal Man well of breaking the 4th wall, which had already happened several times before he did it back then but he took all the credit anyway Stan Lee style.

But besides that? He's a decent chap I suppose...
>>
>>84587688
Who hurt you?
>>
>>84587688
He's always loved capes though, that's why he wrote Zenith. He always wanted to write capes.
>>
>>84587688
And here you are posting on 4chan. What's the problem, anon?
>>
>>84584612
It's his fan base. People need their opinions to be fact. Like Miller (DKR specifically), people vehemently call it the greatest of all time so of course others say it's the worst.

It happens in every medium. Think of anything popular that's also known as being "great" by some. The more some say Kanye's the best ever, the more others say he's scum.
>>
File: 02.png (513 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
02.png
513 KB, 720x540
>>84587688
Tone it down son
>>
I don't think /co/ is really capable of having a discussion about Morrison. It just devolves into semantics about criticism. Personally his work really resonates with me and I think that if you can't find at least one of his works that you enjoy you aren't much of a comics fan.
>>
>>84584953
That was a meme that was copy-pasted around /co/ cuz MUH HYPERCRISIS. Don't believe everything you read.

>>84584675
Fuck off you tryhard, Morrison never said that either. He said the IDEA of Batman is gay, i.e. he acknowledged the homoerotic aspect of it which people have been either freaking out over and/or making jokes about since Frederic fuckin' Wertham. He made a clear distinction between the character and the concept.

>He's very plutonian in the sense that he's wealthy and also in the sense that he's sexually deviant. Gayness is built into Batman. I'm not using gay in the pejorative sense, but Batman is very, very gay. There's just no denying it. Obviously as a fictional character he's intended to be heterosexual, but the basis of the whole concept is utterly gay. I think that's why people like it. All these women fancy him and they all wear fetish clothes and jump around rooftops to get to him. He doesn't care-he's more interested in hanging out with the old guy and the kid.

It's not his fault shit sites like io9 ran that with BATMAN IS GAY headlines.
>>
>>84585237
He wanted to use John Constantine in the Candlemaker arc of his Doom Patrol run, and when they told him no he made up his ersatz version, Kipling, so there's that.
>>
>>84587867
You're alright anon. You're alright.
>>
>>84587867
This^2
>>
I really, really like his JLA.
>>
>>84587744
>>84587776
>>84587817
>>84587864
anon did nothing wrong you know
>>
Rick of Ages storytime anyone?
>>
>>84584723
/tv/ pls
DC is generally agreed to be at this moment, putting out better comics. Though NewNow! has some exciting looking stuff (kinda counterweighted by the fact of another relaunch, and a lot of terrible stuff still going on).
>>
>>84587284
I want to catch a rare Alan Moore...
>>84584612
/co/ Hated Grant? Huh... I mean comic book writers all have their quirks and obsessions. Moore loves rape, Ennis likes cussing, Miller likes hookers and Grant... Grant loves the magic. Our other pal Neil Gaiman escaped comic book writers island. Good for you Neil. Personally I enjoyed his runs on Animal Man and Doom Patrol. His standard is great to just kinda jumbled... I prefer him to Garth Ennis, Max Landis and Kevin Smith. Overall score: He's Alan Moore Light.
>>
>>84584612
Much like DC , nobody really hates him.

Their fans though...
>>
>>84587688

I hate to say it...

but you're mit completely wrong
>>
>>84584648
So what's that one trick?
>>
>>84591099
This is the unanswerable question for Morrison haters?
>>
>>84587654
Kevin smith is just full of love for comic writers if all stripes though. One of the most positive comic fans I've ever seen.
>>
File: MorrisonDidThis.jpg (86 KB, 866x545) Image search: [Google]
MorrisonDidThis.jpg
86 KB, 866x545
>>84584612
According to that one poster who claims to have memories of living in Gotham, Morrison is slowly undoing the fabric of reality of the DC universe for some unknown purpose.
>>
File: 1466448524357.jpg (19 KB, 642x363) Image search: [Google]
1466448524357.jpg
19 KB, 642x363
>>84587744
>>84587776
>>84587817
>>84587864
>>84591048
Try and be more subtle next time, Grant.
>>
>>84591186
True story. I don't think I've ever heard of him downing anyone directly, even if he doesn't like a particular story or two.

I may not like everything he's written, but I gotta give the guy credit for being appreciative of the medium overall. There's a lot of good to be seen that some folks lose track of after years of overanalysis.
>>
>>84584612
Here's how Morrison writes.

>Make it look like there's something really deep happening
>Make that really deep thing take control of the plot and be embedded in every bit of the story
>Finish the story or abandon the project without revealing anything about that deep thing
>Be praised as a genius
>>
>>84592550
oh
>>
Morrison is fine most of the time. The only time I have an issue with him is when his meta gets so excessive it comes off as being pretentious. Fans are still divided on the merits of Final Crisis because of this.
>>
>>84587867
>I think that if you can't find at least one of his works that you enjoy you aren't much of a comics fan.

Pretty much this. I don't LOVE all of Morrison's stuff, but I do enjoy a lot of it. And I also find it very hard to believe that you can't enjoy at least something of his considering he's done:

>Animal Man
>Doom Patrol
>Batman
>Superman
>Justice League
>X-Men
>Flex Mantello
>Santa Claus

To name some of the stuff he's done.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.