[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>What I expected: something like the fly episode of Breaking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: file.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>What I expected: something like the fly episode of Breaking Bad, using that "two hours" time to develop Steven and Peri's relationship
>What I got: a deus ex machina plus a return to the status quo
>>
There was nothing deus ex machina about it. Steven has at least 18 charisma.
>>
>>84547327
Can we please make this a what I expected, what I got thread?
>>
>>84547327
I killed your girlfriend.
>>
I thought it was pretty good. Also there was a new status quo because lapis is now a mainstay.
>>
I agree it was a bit of a copout but on the other hand it was a pretty cool scene and I don't think they could've done any better given the constraints of the show.
>>
>>84547327
it's an 11-minute show. this is all we can hope for.
>>
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 1280x720
>>84547404
Sure.

What I expected: Epic,suspenseful finale of plot lines/character interaction coming together and being resolved.

What I got: Mabel being selfish, memes and rushed deus ex machinas.
>>
Lord Moldybutt
>>
>>84547327
If it was a half hour show and had better writers, maybe we would get a better solution to the Cluster
>>
>>84547327
Are you fucking kidding me? It's an 11 minute episode.
>>
>>84547327
The Cluster resolution was the furthest thing from a Deus ex Machina. Everything necessary for it to happen was within the context of the narrative. What aspect of it do you think wasn't established beforehand?
>>
>>84548142
he's misusing the term to mean "it was too easy"

It's like using the term mary sue to refer to a character that's simply a bit overpowered
>>
>>84547327
In this week's episode of Shitposting Saturday:

People who don't know what the phrase "Deus Ex Machina" means.

This commonly misused phrase refers to a practice in Greek plays where the otherwise difficult to resolve conflict in the story would be easily resolved by the sudden appearance of a literal deity (literal in the context of the story) who would just fix everything.

An example would be: Two characters are forced into a battle to the death in the arena. The only way one of them will get out is if the other dies, but neither of them wants to kill the other one. Oh wait, the King showed up out of nowhere, having never previously appeared in the narrative (or even been mentioned) and pardoned them both. Hooray! Happy ending!

What happens in this episode that you've cited is the exact opposite. Steven (a well established character) puts a bubble around gem shards (a well established power, he's even done this exact thing before on a smaller scale in "Nightmare Hospital", among others.

Nothing about this is new or comes out of nowhere. This situation is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what you are calling it.

Also, re: status quo. Hey Stupid, that's how narratives work. The status quo exists. Then a problem comes along to disrupt the status quo. Then the protagonist addresses the problem, and the status quo returns. This is an acceptable conclusion to a narrative. Why does everything have to be different? Why does anything have to be different? You're just looking for excuses to sound smart about not liking something.
>>
It's not a Deus Ex Machina if it comes as a result of characterization and previously established stuff.

It was quick and anti-climactic, but it's not DEM.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.