[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why doesn't /co/ like this show?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: image.png (226 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
image.png
226 KB, 800x800
Why doesn't /co/ like this show?
>>
>>84537110
There are some very vocal haters but /co/ loves this show.
>>
File: AwenQweDyKw.jpg (71 KB, 608x433) Image search: [Google]
AwenQweDyKw.jpg
71 KB, 608x433
>>84537110
>tumblr community
>>
>>84537110
something something tumblr something something lesbians
>>
Because it's popular and /co/ is more hipster than it wants to admit.
>>
>>84537777
this is what I dint understand, why hate lesbians? only gay people hate lesbians. Oh wait
>>
just look at it
>>
File: 1466082656280.jpg (34 KB, 345x338) Image search: [Google]
1466082656280.jpg
34 KB, 345x338
>>84537637
>/co/ is one persone
>>
>>84537110
some people on /co/ like it
and some people on /co/ hate it

there will always be people that like or hate shows
>>
This >>84537801
And this >>84537759

The show is good tho.
>>
>>84537637
reason i dislike this show its because its too feminine and not at all inclusive.
>>
File: Aggressive bewilderment.png (79 KB, 241x232) Image search: [Google]
Aggressive bewilderment.png
79 KB, 241x232
>>84537110
>lapis still hasn't had to answer for her crimes
>>
>>84537858
the show is good but the fandom is pretty shit
just like most fandoms out there

the end
>>
>>84537871
what crimes
>>
>>84537913
that one time she wore shoes dressed as bob

unforgivable
>>
>>84537871
I'm sure Amythest floged her offscreen.
>>
It's just the new target for people with bones to pick with Tumblr go after. It's easier to shut down civil discussion than to deal with demented SJWs.

What I don't get is why the general is banned when the show isn't airing new episodes. At the very least it's containment.
>>
>>84537110
/co/'s hivemind reasons? Tumblr boogeyman and because it's popular.

Individual reasons that are often common? Focuses too much on romance and cuteness and not enough on adventure and fights (Some people were led to believe it was going to be more of a Xiaolin Showdown-esque show when it first premiered). Also, hiatuses killing some hype and arcs end up being disappointing for many.
>>
>>84537913
Trying to drown the children
Stealing the ocean
Fusing with japer
Breaking the recorder
Being rude
>>
>>84537963
>(Some people were led to believe it was going to be more of a Xiaolin Showdown-esque show when it first premiered)
I thought people initially assumed it was some lolsorandum show because of the shitty ads
>>
>>84537997
I don't remember those concerns at all. I do remember Steven fighting monsters in the pilot + first couple of episodes and once fusions were introduced, the comment chain of:

>the fights suck
>the show isn't about the fights!

increased tenfold in any SU topics.
>>
>>84537970
Peridot
>>
>>84537906
I mean, can there ever be a fandom that isn't shitty? I mean a fandom by definition needs to have fans in it.
>>
So what I got from this thread is, if you don't like this particular show you're a gay hipster contrarian tumblr hater?

Maybe people don't like SU because the titular character is an annoying shit, him and most side and gem characters look terribly designed, the animation is stiff when it's not plagiarizing anime, the world building sucks, the drama is poorly written, the format ruins the pacing, the fandom is full of waifufags and pedophiles, the fandom constantly intrudes on other threads and shits them up most notably against AT, and not a single joke in it is funny?
>>
>>84537110
because /co/ is more concerned about
>le sjw menace than enjoying things
>>
>>84537110
All of the arcs have ended with Steven magically using the power of friendship to solve all problems. The exception being jailbreak.
>>
>>84537110
Some people like it.
Some people don't like it.
Some people get obnoxiously obsessive about it.
Some people obsessively hate it because people they don't like get obsessive about it.
And most posters just bring it up to shitpost and probably don't even know much about it.
>>
>>84538035
or maybe because some minorities are so notorious that their influences completely override other parts of fandom/fanbase? Also, the reasons why those minorities are so terrible is because they can't take any judgments and criticisms.
>>
>>84538052
Finally, a proper argument that doesn't include tumblr.

Unfortunately, I and many people on /co/ disagrees with you and think you're being biased purely on the fact that this show is associated with normies and tumblr a lot.
>>
>>84538035
Venture Brothers fandom is pretty good. The fans are definitely active enough that when new episodes happen, the generals get filled up pretty damn fast and there's not enough women or kid characters for there to be constant pedo/waifu fags to fill up the thread.

Once the show ends, the fans disperse and promise to meet up in another three years. It's a pretty ideal fanbase.
>>
>>84537867
Just to be clear, your idea of a a more masculine show isn't just more violence and a protagonist who would rather kill his opponents rather than save them, right?
>>
>>84538135
Maybe, though I'm sure there are some awful fans around. In the end it sounds like the ideal fanbase in the fanbase that doesn't actually last, but only gets together for brief periods.
>>
>>84537970
> Trying to drown the children

To be fair, gems would only have been slightly inconvenienced by that water-hold. She legitimately might not have understood that would probably kill Steven.
>>
File: symbionic_owned_city.jpg (36 KB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
symbionic_owned_city.jpg
36 KB, 350x197
>>84537970
>Stealing the ocean
I wonder if it's possible to assess the damage of raising so much of the ocean into a tower that reaches into the upper atmosphere/space and then having to collapse back down.

>>84538052
>if you don't like this particular show you're a gay hipster contrarian tumblr hater?
That's just not liking it. The OP wants to know why it causes such a volatile reaction. There's a difference between "SUfags get out reeee" you see a lot and a breakdown of flaws like you did.

>>84538122
The proper argument involves tumblr because for some reason they've become boogiemen that incites reaction all across 4chan, arguably worse than reddit. SU gets associated with it.

>>84538143
Well there's a line between that and having your MU crossdress and sing a slow pop song.
>>
>>84538111
I have a hard time thinking of many series where there isn't a loud, obnoxious minority. And that doesn't have fans and detractors who can take criticism. People in general are not good at criticism, even when it actually IS criticism and not just "you have shit taste."
>>
File: image.png (112 KB, 500x446) Image search: [Google]
image.png
112 KB, 500x446
*cough*
>>
>>84538203
pretty much. There are also fandoms that can't tolerate ANY valid criticisms. For examples, many of crossover games fandoms are example of those things you said.
>>
>>84537110

I do like it though

SU is one of the few modern cartoons that actually has some real lore and mystery and continuity and takes itself fucking seriously for once

and it works people actually like it
yeah sure maybe it is popular with tumblr and SJWs and whoever else but you know what I don't fucking care because it represents something more important and far less petty than all that which is integrity and ambition in cartoon making and thats why I respect it
>>
>>84538248
Oh no, someone said something dumb on Twitter. Better get out the torches and pitchforks.
>>
>>84537963
> (Some people were led to believe it was going to be more of a Xiaolin Showdown-esque show when it first premiered).

Honestly I'd prefer this to what the show is doing now. Right now, it's pretty much Slice of life without fleshing out any of the world and the human aspect of pretty much thrown by the wayside.
>>
>>84538186
>Well there's a line between that and having your MU crossdress and sing a slow pop song.
Okay good. I too sense a distinct lack of masculinity within the show. I want more moments like Steven trying to act tough before Pearl pointing out he cries about snakes not having legs. I just don't agree with anons who want Steven to be some compromising asshole who cares more about defeating bad guys rather than saving literally everyone. I want Superman, not the Punisher.
>>
>>84538248
Matt is a huge tool, though. The rest of the crew and their work should not be unfairly criticized because of Matt's shitty tweets.
>>
>>84538186
"tumblr" and "sjw-ism" seems to be the only argument these days.

There are definitely SU eps I find bad, but his argument was just diliberately over autistic
>>
>>84538312
SU's "lore" is about as deep as Pokemon's, though.
>>
>>84538313
>someone
Basically the #2 on the show writing staff.
>>
>>84537637
Fuck off.
>>
>>84538344
Steven is literally his mother re-incarnated and raised by three very emotional women. His only male figure is his father who is kind of a pushover. It makes sense he's sensitive. I do agree that the show leans too far on the feminine side for me personally to enjoy, but it makes sense for Steven's character.
>>
>>84537110
Its on a network that makes it impossible to remain interested unless you're an autist and have no problem with constant hiatuses followed by filler episodes that progress the plot ever so slowly while presenting more questions than answers and more fan service than actual substance.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (173 KB, 634x632) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
173 KB, 634x632
>>84538368
>the I compare one show with another, non relateable one post

>>84538387
>the m'board post
>>
>>84538377
The girl who made Lumberjanes also worked on Wander Over Yonder, doesn't impact the show itself because thankfully, neither her or Matt are the showrunners and can silence their mouthpieces when needed.
>>
>>84537110
Steven annoyed me too much, enough that after a few episodes I just couldn't be bothered to continue watching.
>>
Most popular threads on the board by a wide margin, gotta count for something.
>>
>>84538399
It's not about making sense. It's about making a good show. It would make sense for him to be more masculine too.
>>
File: 1271576389467.jpg (2 KB, 106x126) Image search: [Google]
1271576389467.jpg
2 KB, 106x126
the fanbase
some people might cobble together some half ass arguments against the show itself but they're usually pretty flimsy

they just hate the fanbase but don't want to admit that
>>
File: WHAT IS A TUMBLR CARTOON.png (62 KB, 1675x361) Image search: [Google]
WHAT IS A TUMBLR CARTOON.png
62 KB, 1675x361
We're not a hive-mind OP.

>>84537858
>the show is good though
Arguable.
>>
>>84538606
>we're not a hive mind

You're trying to convince us this but posts the worst pic for it.
>>
>>84538576
Consistent logic and follow the rules of your own world does make for a good show though. Why would he be more masculine? Is it not okay to have a sensitive boy character?
>>
>>84537801

At least we're not as contrarian as /tv/.
>>
>>84538052
This is what I don't like about the "We're not loud but proud" fans who respond to these topics. Yes, there is a hivemind response, but you can't blow everyone's opinion out of the water by saying, "Cause it's popular. Show is good though." It makes even the quiet fans appear like they literally can't handle the idea of someone disliking their show without being some contrarian hipster.

I don't like the show and I don't like that there's at least five active topics of it every day while most of my favorite shows either die or have shit threads (The Star Vs. threads are a fucking mess). And I don't like people adding salt to the wound of me not being able to have good discussions of my favorite show by saying SU is the best show and the "only reason people don't like it is cause it's popular". Do people actually believe there are NO other reasons someone can hate this show?
>>
steven is fat and everyone else look like a hippie or gay

it's a very good and respected show but i just don't like it because it is the opposite of all the things i like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kncK8stR-ME
>>
I never liked anime.
>>
>>84538717
lol cool
>>
>>84537110
but i like it

what i don't like is the fandom
>>
File: 1464848686766.png (114 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1464848686766.png
114 KB, 680x680
>>84538686
>star vs

You had a point until here
>>
>>84538686
>Do people actually believe there are NO other reasons someone can hate this show?
I think there's plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike the show, but I also think there are a ton of people who hate the show because it's popular, because it's popular with the wrong people, or people just attempting to be contrarian. Or at least pretending to be contrarian to get a response.

It usually comes down to context. If a thread is devoted to a show and someone comes in and says "This show is shit, the people who like it are shit, and here's why," even if the person lists legitimate criticisms, no one is going to take them seriously.

On the other hand there are people who bring a show up in unrelated threads and get pissed if someone criticizes it.
>>
>>84537110
It's basically a watered down version of a bunch of anime that is end up made worse by its 11-minute runtime and it's American limitations (Like being forced to be episodic to benefit re-runs rather than having season two and onward focus on a constant ongoing plot).
>>
>>84538632
The picture has nothing to do with a hive-mind concept.
>>
>>84538606
>using that stupid screencap

tripfags
>>
>>84538634
>Why would he be more masculine?
Because he is a male. He is a male engrossed in human cultural where gender roles exist. That's why.

>Is it not okay to have a sensitive boy character?
Oh fuck off. Being masculine doesn't necessarily mean being insensitive.
>>
>>84538344
Steven only feminine though. He still does a lot of boyish stuff, like playing video games, or collecting figures, it's just that there's a feminine side to him too which is because of his mother. I think it's interesting, but it's not like the show is anti-masculine.
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 270x187) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 270x187
Because there are much better shows on right now but /co/ overrated this one to hell and back because MUH WAIFU
>>
File: 1458752179925.png (56 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1458752179925.png
56 KB, 600x600
>>84539153
>but /co/ overrated this one to hell and back because MUH WAIFU
>posts loud house

what can i even say? what can i even add to this?
>>
File: image.jpg (401 KB, 1284x980) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
401 KB, 1284x980
>>84539153
>Loudfag thinking his show is better than SU
>>
>>84539216
And how is it not you dumb shitter?
>>
>>84539323
wait, you weren't baiting?

For one, it's boring.
>>
>>84539381
As apposed to SU with literally no jokes or interesting characters?
>>
>>84539417
>no jokes or interesting characters

I'd say the same for LH.

It has no lore or action either, so what does it have exactly?
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 300x168
>>84539475
>It has no lore or action
>Enjoying SU's incredibly basic lore and piss poor action

And no, TLH has way better humor than SU. Just because you're condition to SU's super tepid humor doesn't mean that TLH has no humor.
>>
>>84538686
I agree, and the funny thing is, the show itself isnt even popular as shows that were far more over the board like ATLA and Korra. Nobody hated Avatar because of its popularity.

It's just heavily shilled by obsessive fans with a massive victim complex. It's more like MLP than Avatar.
>>
>>84539049
>shows Sadie how to twerk
>carries aroudn makeup in his pocket
>knows how to apply makeup
>proceeds to apply the makeup to himself, put on a dress, and dance on stage
You'd be right if not for Sadie's Song. This show is overdue for Steven acting more like a boy for an episode or two.
>>
>>84539592
what makes anything you say true?

You're just stating subjective views in your argument.

But what will always be a fact is that LH has no Lore or action.

humor and characterization is homogeneous in shows, but the slice of life shit you're pushing is nothing new nor special.

Shows like this has been done to death, this is just the first/few ones that focus around girls.

I'd rather watch something like Winx desu.
>>
>>84539153
>>84539592
The Loud House works because the characters feel more down to Earth, the main character is likable instead of being a fat ugly annoying little bitch, and the animation is more expressive and cartoony. Also the voice acting is on a whole other echelon, compare any Grey Griffin character to the gems, she voices circles around them.
>>
>>84539696
>Needing a boy to act masculine to like a show better

How about you watch something else? I like Steven Universe because it doesn't focus on a gender-typical boy and has one who's not afraid to show his emotions.
>>
>>84539748
>I like Steven Universe because it doesn't focus on a gender-typical boy
That's because you are a nut who demonizes what it means to be male. Men can be men and show emotion.
>>
>>84537777
witnessed
>>
>>84539725
>Lore or action.

Nothing new either unless you're one of those manchildren who only watch current cartoons and absolutely nothing else. But you're a SUfag so the answer is probably yes.
>>
>>84539788
I think their point was probably that it doesn't get shown enough.
>>
>>84539815
lol

I never said the lore and action in su was new. My point was that SU incorporates the done-to-death slice of life genre and adds lore and action.

I was also trying to point out why this argument is useless considering you're saying LH is better because of subjective views.

>This is better!

But I can still say SU is better because it's funny, has good characterization, lore and action.

LH is funny and has good characterization,

And I can be this unbiased because I'm not a manchild who needs a villain to make what they watch more sophisticated.
>>
>>84539748
Hello tumblr
>>
>>84537110
The show is okay, the fanbase is fucking horrible.
>>
Wtf? So the only reason SU and TLH is being compared is because they both have a higher proportion of females than males in their cast?

Am I reading this thread right?
>>
>>84539958
The fanbase of both shows is shit, don't listen to them
>>
>>84539958
Yeah, also SU does a female cast much worse.
>>
Same reason why I dislike games like Bayonetta, or movies like the new Ghostbusters. Way too much tumblr pandering, not enough actual quality. Tell me if this doesn't describe all three products.

>STRONG INDEPENDENT WOMYN who don't need no man! aw yeh girl power!

It gets to a point where it feels forced.
>>
>>84539905
What doesn't get shown enough?
>>
>>84540000
Hello shitposter-kun, nice quads
>>
>>84539912
>good characterization, lore and action.

Except it literally doesn't, because like I said, you're a machild who only watches shitty cartoons.
>>
>>84540035
Why can't I say the same for you?

Christ, this is why I hate fandom. This whole argument makes no sense.

It's one of those you can maybe pull out stats, like from critic sites to prove a point, as a third party.

But I'm sure if you look at those SU would have higher ratings.
>>
File: 1465190705245.png (84 KB, 243x255) Image search: [Google]
1465190705245.png
84 KB, 243x255
>>84540016

>"I can't argue against it, so I'll call it bait"
>>
>>84538377
>#2
Ian JQ's the show's #2 before he left, with Kat Morris being #3 (post-ian Kat is #2 while Joe Johnston is #3)

Matt (and Ben) are the guys who write the final outlines
>>
>>84540143
You see

I would agree with you

If it wasn't because you included Bayonetta in the post

And also because you made a VERY similar post some time ago and you were proven wrong already, so I know you're just shitposting
>>
>>84540143
SU Gems never describe themselves as strong independant women though, they don't even describe themselves as women.
>>
>>84540190

I don't see how Bayonetta doesn't fit into the clique. She's basically an honorary crystal gem, considering her massive tumblr following, and how her entire character is "sassy woman who's strong and empowered and beats those silly boys".

Maybe not all of us like this kind of tumblr pandering?
>>
>>84540265
You have to find new shitposting material and not use the same stuff again and again
>>
File: tumblr_mt2hyrqeTk1s2wio8o1_500.gif (638 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mt2hyrqeTk1s2wio8o1_500.gif
638 KB, 500x377
>>84540000
>Bayonetta
>>
>>84540265
Um. OK.
>>
File: ricardo-alvarez.jpg (29 KB, 800x546) Image search: [Google]
ricardo-alvarez.jpg
29 KB, 800x546
>>84540315
>The you can't like anything that has a woman protag because u Tumblr meme.
>>
>>84540307
>>84540315
>>84540330

You know, I don't want to be rude, but this kind of shitposting against any criticism is why /sug/ is banned during the show's hiatus. People need to be a little more willing to listen to critique.
>>
>>84540265
>massive tumblr following
more like basically non-existant
>>
>>84540265
>and beats those silly boys

Are you retarded? Have you ever seen at least one scene of this game in your life?
>>
>>84540143
If this >>84540000 is the highest quality post you can muster then you are beyond saving. We assume you are shitposting because we assume you don't want our pity.
>>
>>84540365
But you see, this isn't criticism, it's shitposting

If you made the SAME post, but without using bayonetta as an example, it would have been acceptable criticism
>>
>>84540365
Why would you want to argue against the same argument that's been used in EVERY thread. Scratch that, the Tumblr/empowered women arguement has been done 7 times here at least.

I hope your just samefag, because how can you argue against
>>84540000 this.

It's obviously a shitpost. Adds no discussion.
>>
>>84539958
Yes. I don't understand all the shitflinging between SU and TLH. They're just two different sides of the same coin
>>
>>84540397
>>84540398
>>84540399
>>84540410
>>84540438

Please, clarify something for me: what makes that post "shitposting"? Is it because you don't agree with it? I'm trying to be respectful here, but I'm being met by multiple brick walls who don't want any constructive discussion.

For the record, let me set four things straight:

>I used to like Steven Universe until it became way too weighed down by emotions and feelings and crying every other episode, and blatant plot holes brought out by latent character stupidity
>I liked Ghostbusters until the new movie, which dumbed down every premise from the first in an attempt to be "progressive"
>I dislike Bayonetta because I don't like hack and slash titles, I don't like blatant fanservice, and I dislike platinum in general. Being grrrrl power is just the cherry ontop of the fecal sundae
>I compared the three because they were different mediums, but they all had the same disease of "being progressive while sacrificing quality"

Hopefully that clears a few things up.
>>
>>84540397
No
>>
>>84540499
I could tell you

But other anons in other threads have already told you, so instead, I'm just gonna hide your posts

You're gonna get banned when /sug/ comes back anyway
>>
>>84540471
Because TLH is a spiritual successor to Gravity Falls and Adventure Time, both of which had threads frequently raided by obsessive SU fans.
>>
>people have to write a 5 page thesis on why they dislike something to have their opinion accepted

Can't I just not like something for no reason?
>>
>>84540499
It triggers a /co/mblrite
>>
>people dont like tumblr
>people don't like fat acceptance
>people don't like lesbians
>people don't like sugar
>people don't like to see anime/vidya references in western media because muh fake nerds
>the writers like to trigger people
>>
>>84540499
You can't possibly be the same fag that initially posted the bayonetta example, because what you posted just now, is a viable arguement

But you have to be an idiot if you think that first Anton's arguement as not a shit post.

>I don't like SU because it's Tumblr:
>I.e. it panders to women, on Tumblr
>Like bayonetta, it's haram to me

Thats not a proper critique of cartoons on a cartoon focused image board. If you're going to critique a cartoon, critique THE CARTOON and not it's following or your "theory" on who it panders to.
>>
>>84540520
Yes, and not post about it.

Don't forget that 4chan is divided by autisms. And autistic people get triggered.

People forget this isn't Facebook, Twitter, nor Tumblr.
>>
>>84537110
Guilt by association.
>>
>>84540565

The pandering is a problem because it snowballs into a massive destructive avalanche of pitfalls. Take SU for example.

>gotta pander to tumblr
>that means no action scenes because it would ruin le "comfy" atmosphere. any we do have will be poorly animated.
>every character needs to wear their emotions on their sleevs
>mandatory 5 minute crying session per episode. Bonus points if multiple characters cry. finish your drink if it comes out of nowhere
>no villains, everyone has to be redeemable, even yellow diamond, otherwise it might trigger someone
>are two characters in love? That's their whole character, and they'll talk about how much they love eachother every 5 seconds!

And it gets worse from there.
>>
>>84540658
you should stop with the hyperbole m8
it would make your argument better
>>
>>84540658
Christ... never mind.

You're an idiot.
>>
>>84540700
>>84540708

Oh, you don't believe me, huh? Did you see the latest episode of SU? Where Garnet literally throws the baseball game because Ruby and Sapphire can't stop thinking of boning eachother for 11 minutes?

This is third grade writing.
>>
>>84540749
>literally throws the baseball
But they won.
>>
>>84540749
So you're using one episode to base your last point in your argument which critiques the series as a whole.

Brilliant, defo not a shitpost.
>>
>>84540749
Did that episode also had "mandatory 5 minute crying session"?
>>
File: CoWZ05t.gif (842 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
CoWZ05t.gif
842 KB, 480x270
>>84539210
>>84539153
>>84539216
>>84539323
>>84539381
>>84539475
>Loud House shitposting
Just stop it. Every time someone posts about SU, you guys keep having to bring the Loud House into it. It's time to stop. They're two different shows.
>>
It has some of the worst worldbuilding I've ever seen
>>
>>84540499
>Please, clarify something for me: what makes that post "shitposting"?
Simply put, low quality posts, either more meant for your entertainment than discussion or just generally stupid.

Shitposters often repeat the same stuff again and again, using meme words and redirects very often, and when taken seriously by other posters they resort to logical fallacies, changing the subject, or more memes.

Shitposters are often a mix of assholes who don't give a damn about discussion and idiots who couldn't carry out a meaningful discussion if their life depended on it.

"Shitposter-kun" refers to one or maybe two individuals who try to crash SU threads with the same posts shitposts incessantly. Usually I'm not one to call samefag but with shitposter-kun it was pretty damn obvious it was the same individual in nearly every thread bitching about SU with the same non-arguments and memes. Maybe you aren't him.
>>
>>84540658
Since when did tumblr have a monopoly on comfy? You new to /co/?
>>
>>84540816
>Cancerous Frank image
>>
>>84540781

It's a constant throughout the series. Every episode starring Ruby and sapphire is about how they want to bone eachother, or how they're in love, or how they're pissed about Pearl fusion-raping them under false pretenses. It's a rock version of the odd couple, and it got old after the first time they did it.

>>84540804

That actually happened in the episode prior, where they're being overly sappy and emotional about Lapis and Peridot not being friends because Lappy decided to be a leel 100 emo.

>"water was my grave, wake me up inside, crawling in my skin, these wounds will not heal"

Let me tell you, whoever was in charge of letting Lapis be a main character, they need to be fired.
>>
>>84540804
>>84540749
Or no action, antagonist, and did every character talk about what their dreams and hopes were?

I swear he was watching Barney or some shit like that.
>>
>>84540870
>Every ep w/ Ruby and Sapphire

Yup, all 4 of them.

To be clear though, I'm not the biggest fan of the R+S love fest.

But you're shitposting the hell out of that opinion, like you're trying to discourage people from watching shit you don't like.
>>
>>84537110
Plot lines get resolved in the worst ways possible (Looking at you Cluster arc)
Too much crying
Shit action sequences
Zero Villains
Villains that always get redeemed
Townie episodes
Steven never asks any questions about his mother or the Gems
Too much filler
Gem Drill and Hit the Diamond, arguably the worst two episodes of the series
The batshit insane fandom that'll try to kill you if you draw characters wrong
>>
>>84540870
There was no crying in that episode either though, just Lapis being a cunt.
>>
File: Get_a_load.jpg (44 KB, 776x602) Image search: [Google]
Get_a_load.jpg
44 KB, 776x602
>>84540866
>not liking Filthy Frank
>>
>>84540826

What about my posts is low quality? Would you rather I go around swearing and calling people names like "nigger" and "faggot"? I'm trying to be respectful, but I get ousted as if I'm a bad influence.
>>
>>84540926
>Zero Villains
>Villains that always get redeemed
wut?
>>
>>84540926
>Plot lines get resolved in the worst ways possible (Looking at you Cluster arc)
What's exactly your problem with the Cluster resolution and redemption in general?
>>
>>84540945
Sorry, I grew out of that shit after I left Highschool.
>>
>>84540926
Should've added Ruby and Sapphire, the worst characters in the show
>>84540956
We had Peridot who looked like a promising villain. Instead, she gets redeemed. Jasper also looks like she might be getting redeemed soon
>>
>>84540934

Yeah, and it drove Steven to be sad and mopey because they weren't getting along.
>>
Saw a little bit of it. Small annoying jew boy saying stupid shit in whine noise. "Strong female characters". tumblr endorsement.

Too many redlights. I'd rather poni.
>>
>>84540950
Nothing, this estrogen filled board likes to throw around buzzwords at the merest mention of an opinion that trigger their fragile sensibilities.
>>
>>84540978
Still, no crying.
>>
>>84540950
>Their aren't levels to shitposting and degeneracy

You know if you did that people will take you even less seriously
>>
>>84540924

I'm not telling people to stop liking it. I'm just pointint out multiple issues in the show.

I think the biggest one was when the team behind the show outright said "there will be no villains, because that enforces toxic masculinity" or something. Come on, that's a red flag.
>>
>>84540950
>>84540499
These posts aren't low quality.

>>84540000
This is borderline. But if it truly is your post then I retract my accusation of being a shitposter.
>>
>>84540976
So you're saying that there actually are villains in SU?
>>
>>84537110
I for one think its pretty dern k
>>
>>84541019
>when the team behind the show outright said "there will be no villains, because that enforces toxic masculinity" or something
you just pulled that one out of your ass, didn't you?
>>
>>84540976
>2 examples.

>>84541019
You massive faggot

http://io9.com/steven-universe-is-a-show-about-fantasys-love-affair-1458060916

Stop making shit up.
>>
>>84541049
the first part is an exaggeration, while the toxic masculinty part is definitely out of their ass
>>
>>84537110
>wheredoyouthinkweare.jpg
>(You)
>>
>>84541057
>>84541049

Okay, I got my tweets mixed up. But you get the point. They don't want to be an invigorating action show, or a well developed character show. They just want cheap emotions and the literary equivalent of junk food. No payoff or buildup, just quick cliches and tropes played safe and harmlessly.
>>
>>84541150
>Projecting this much
Here's 2 more (you)s for your mental health.

It must be a rough day for you.
>>
>>84541150
It is a character show. There has been a lot of buildup with such characters like Pearl. Not much in term of payoff yet, since we're only at the known projected middle of the show.
>>
>Yellow Diamond will be redeemed before Marty.
How does this make you feel?
>>
>>84541222

They also constantly flip flop development. Pearl's relation to Greg, for example, can only be described as her being a passive agressive bitch who doesn't know if she wants to kill him, or wait to kill him, or tolerate him, yada yada. And then of course there's the moments where she literally tried to kill Steven. But we're supposed to root for her.
>>
>>84541306
Marty was redeemed in my eyes the moment he gave Greg ten million dosh.
>>
>>84541222
The series basically just started, I feel like they still have to talk about Peri, Lapiz and even Amy's back story.

Where lion came from, what's his mane exactly. Not to mention some of the other humans.
>>
>>84541329
I feel like you're missing some eps.
>>
File: image.png (56 KB, 491x585) Image search: [Google]
image.png
56 KB, 491x585
>>84541334
>The series basically just started

>about to hit 100 episodes
>>
>>84541329
She never tried to kill Steven. That's Garnet.
>>
>>84541333
Why didn't Greg get the money years ago for such an old commercial?

Also some technicality or lawsuit will probably take all the money right back. Marty will not be redeemed.
>>
>>84541371

See: Rose's Scabbard.

>abloo abloo I'm so sad I don't want to help Steven even as he's about to fall to his death

It even included the 5 minute mandatory crying session. Like poetry.
>>
>>84541363
Why would they end their breadwinning show so early? 100 eps isn't anything in this series or for CN.

Look at AT.
>>
>>84541371
>That's Garnet.

?
>>
>>84541407
Do you live your whole life in a hyperbole?

You might as well be a tripfag.
>>
>>84541407
Pearl was actually concerned about it, but when Steven caught himself she had no reason to be afraid since Steven could climb back.
>>
>>84541422
So Many Birthdays, when Garnet had the bright idea to violently shake an old dying Steven, and thought it would make things better.
>>
>>84541508
That's a bit much, no?

When you 2 said "tried to kill" people who don't frequent this show would think they fought to the death.

I'm surprised you didn't give the eps where pearl summons her copy.
>>
>>84541561
Well the thing is that none of the main Crystal Gems actually have any reason to wish death upon Steven (stop with the "Pearl Hates Steven" meme), so most of the possible examples that could be given would be either accidents or unintentional harm.
>>
>>84541561

Not him, but she also tried to kill him in the episode that first brought us Sugilite. Unstable emotional trainwrecks fusing into a monster with as much brawn as the hulk isn't the best idea for a show or main characters.
>>
>>84541656
You're right.
>>
>>84541656
This, it's fucked up, but Amythest kind of fucked with Steven's family too by turning into Rose just to piss off Greg. They all miss Rose and do their best not to resent Steven as he is an actual reincarnation of her.
>>
>>84541695
Sums up Pearl especially.
>>
>>84537828
>replies with this to that post but not OP post
Anon is bad at irony.
>>
>>84541695

Still, they don't really care about Steven, so much as they care about him being a smaller Rose. Remember when Amethyst got pissy in the Kindergarten and just decided to attack Pearl out of the blue? Again, because "she was sad boo hoo" and Pearl was being mean. It's actually a little scary how emotionally thin they are.
>>
>>84541775
>Pearl was being mean

funny thing was is that she wasnt
>>
>>84537110
A better question is, is it ok to like the show in spite of its flaws? I'll admit there are things about it I don't like but those things don't take away from my overall enjoyment.
>>
>>84541775
>It's actually a little scary how emotionally thin they are.

For being thousands of years old, yeah.

For having spent most of those thousands of years with a leader who abandoned them and the rebellion they dedicated their whole immortal existence to, to reincarnate herself as Meatloaf's child, no.
>>
>>84537110
the show's just the most mediocre thing i've ever seen.

nothing is outstandingly terrible or outstandingly good.
>>
>>84541892
>is it ok to like the show in spite of its flaws

Of course it is. I don't generally say the same thing about actual people, though.
>>
>>84541755
What I wanna know is why Lapis almost dropped him. And she definitely was going to.
>>
>>84542139
Ever space out whiles doing something important?

Sometimes people get into accidents because of doing it.

She saw the launchpad and got PTSD.
>>
>>84542238
That's a really bad excuse for almost dropping a child from the troposphere though.
>>
>>84542300
Edge of the troposphere, you know what I mean.
>>
>>84542300
That would also be a pretty bad excuse for war vets going off crazy when they return home.

Or people talking on the phone whiles driving with kids in the night.

But it happens anyway.

Not everything in life or shows needs some deep explanation. The latter especially, considering SU is a 15min show.
>>
>>84537110
>Why doesn't /co/ like this show
1- shit artstyle
2- gay pandering
3- that pic won't fool us. They promote fat
>>
>>84537110
http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/655825
Here's some GOOD humor to lighten the mood!

Q: Why couldn't Timmy Turner unwish Garnet when he summoned her to his dimension?
A: Because Garnet is in love with herself, and Cosmo and Wanda can't magic away true love. ;)
>>
>>84542940
>They promote fat
Requesting Rose Quartz redrawn as Puffy from "NiGHTS into Dreams...".
>>
>>84538186
>I wonder if it's possible to assess the damage of raising so much of the ocean into a tower that reaches into the upper atmosphere/space and then having to collapse back down.
Very little compared to what it should have done. When the water came back it just harmlessly washed back up to the shoreline rather than crashing like a tsunami. Whether that's just because of the geography of their Earth or because she was still controlling it to do that is uncertain.
She WOULD however have halted all seafaring travel or shipping for a full day, that's tens of billions of dollars of retinue across the world.
>>
>>84538939
>He is a male engrossed in human cultural where gender roles exist.
No they don't. SU's Earth is an alternate Earth where Gems were there first and drastically changed human history to the point where we don't even see many gender roles playing in the show because they don't exist.

>Oh fuck off. Being masculine doesn't necessarily mean being insensitive.
Then what the fuck do you want from Steven? You say he acts too feminine, what the fuck do you want him to be doing? What the hell does "acting more masculine" mean to you in a post where you talk about gender roles and tropes?
>>
>>84537970
Breaking Greg's leg.
>>
Invader Zim for people on tumblr
>>
>>84537110
The fan base on here has convinced me not to give it a chance, much like MLP.
>>
>>84544274
Further proof that Lapis is shit.

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!
>>
>>84538248
He's got a point tho
>>
>>84540000
the
>i haven't played Bayonetta or watched the new Ghostbusters but I hate them because I have a problem with women
>>84540000
Well, how about every Gem we've seen thus far (even Garnet sometimes) is massively disfunctional to the point that they all depend on a ten year old boy time and time again?
>>
File: 1468615974873.png (18 KB, 539x539) Image search: [Google]
1468615974873.png
18 KB, 539x539
>>84537110
Steven is like that one kid that one kid in class that nobody liked who claimed he had some made up game system and that his dad/uncle worked a Nintendo/sony etc.
>>
File: bayo.png (339 KB, 500x728) Image search: [Google]
bayo.png
339 KB, 500x728
>>84540000
>Bayonetta
>Tumblr pandering
Are you retarded? You should take one look at Hideki Kamiya's twitter.
>>
>>84545145
How do you enjoy anything?
>>
>>84538248
there's nothing wrong with this
>>
>>84541414
because of shit pacing
>>
Too much crying, action sucks, some designs suck.
Also I never like the whole "Hey he's an innocent child" thing cartoons do. Same reason I don't like Clarence. He's just so stupid and "childish". I've never met a kid like that and I've never seen kids like that. The whole quirky thing with Steven is fucking annoying honestly. I get it he's a kid, but does he have to be so damn cutesy and quirky? I have no idea how old he is, but I'm pretty sure he's not 9 or 10. I like when he gets serious because he feels like a real kid there. That episode where he got mad because that one dick wanted to be popular and ended up talking shit about his mom was great and I was expecting him to smack him or something, but then I wondered did he not do it because he's mature enough to not hit him over something petty or because he's so innocent. I know he was saying how his mother would know better. but I still thought about that for a second. I'm not saying he should be super serious, but him being so "wheeeeeeeeee" about everything is kind of annoying.
>>
>>84539748
That's stupid gay anon

t. Actual faggot
>>
>>84547643
I don't ...
>>
>>84539748
holy fuck ... what's with this generation. I'm getting too old for this shit.
>>
>>84548155
Well, have you meet a teenager that acts like that? Because Steven's 14-goddamn-years old.
Honestly, I've just accepted the fact that he acts like a dumbass 7-year old all the time. It helps me deal with the fact that one of my favorite cartoons as of right now is about three gay space-rocks and a small child that is actually the reincarnation of their former leader who "died" in the process of birthing him, even though these rocks don't have reproductive organs, and there standard day-to-day life about living with the looming threat of their former home planning on completely fucking annihilating their new home, along with the wacky antics of a 13-14-year old, and all of his quirky, one-note, possibly psychotic neighbors.
>>
What I dislike about Steven Universe is the creator's obnoxious degree of sincere & dedicated approach to the show. The creator's have absolutely no ironic detachment, exemplified most of all in their crying episodes. As if preemptively shielding themselves from criticism by releasing something deliberately diverse. It is emblematic to me of the creator's lack of genuine insight or a lack of humility in their own ability. Which would be understandable given the personalities behind the show itself.

Diversity is only real philosophy of the creators. The show is conceived & shaped through a click-bait understanding of love, a lifetime of media addiction & the only partially digested Rosseauist philosophy of the creators. It knowingly spouts the kind of lazy, autodidact, self-serving, personal philosophy of those weaned in the information-era: "Nobody is born evil and everybody has good in them."

It's a half-baked idealism dressed up as absolute truth used to justify a shallow unexamined lifestyle of altruistic "liberalism is the greatest good". Ironically championed by those who consider themselves more knowledgeable than the rest of the world because they're armed with an internet connection and a wikipedia tab. It aims to make its audience feel kind & clever without making them think too hard. To validates the choices they've already made & reinforces their lifestyles. To makes them feel superior while downplaying their own shortcomings.

In other words: It's Tumblr.
>>
File: 5915904.jpg (147 KB, 800x961) Image search: [Google]
5915904.jpg
147 KB, 800x961
This is for all the people that are uncapable of enjoying something if there is a big chunck of people (aka a community) that enjoy it, but stand for something you don't agree with.
Why even try to have fun?
>>
>>84549733
>implying being sincere is a bad thing
>>
>>84538075
Kinda makes sense though, they establish early on that gem powers are emotion based, especially his.
>>
>>84549733
None of the show shows any of the typical self-righteousness expected from liberalism. "Everybody has good in them" is only a part of the theme, far more overarching is the celebration of imperfection: all the characters in the show are imperfect in some way, and just like in real like sometimes these "imperfections" define who they are as people. There's no such thing as an ideal "perfect" anything, and most of the times the most gorgeous things in existence are defined by something that in other cases would be considered an imperfection. The show preaches that underneath the "ugliness" is an inner "beauty"; beneath the supposed "evil" is "good", while still admitting that ugliness is still ugliness and imperfection is still imperfection. Portraying negative characteristics sympathetically doesn't "shield" it from criticism, and thinking that it does means upholding a black and white worldview.

You're correct in that the show does reflect the coddling liberalism of today's society, which the "nobody is born evil" schtick is a product of, but it has none of the self-righteous elitism you're accusing it of. The point isn't to downplay shortcomings, but to celebrate imperfection. Morons can take it to heart in that way, but the point still remains that the show isn't just an expression of arrogance.

Now the problem isn't with the theme itself, but the world the characters inhabit which the theme immerses itself within. While the cartoon does show how people as individuals are imperfect, it doesn't when it comes to society. The society that Steven inhabits is without social ills. It's a capitalism with all its good and none of its bad, which can be easily seen with the celebration of consumerist nostalgia that's played into the whole individualist "inner beauty/celebration of imperfection" theme.

Also postmodernism is shit and go fuck yourself if you want another exercise in pomo ironic detachment.
>>
I don't like it because it's not for me. They make that fairly clear. It's so emotional and soft, and not terribly funny. I don't care about the plot, the characters aren't that endearing to me, no action to be interested in and I don't like the aesthetic.

That's it. I must have said it a thousand times
>>
>started watching a couple days ago because I heard it was nominated for an emmy
>went in blind, no knowledge about the show or the fanbase
>almost done with the second season

Honestly this show seems fantastic to me.
>>
>>84551087
One of my gay friends really pushed me to watch the show for almost a year, and I avoided it like the plague because of Tumblr. I ended up watching it and loving it.
>>
I liked the first season - especially the first half or so - better than the rest of the show.
Because I generally prefer light-hearted fantasy action/adventure with a dash of drama over a soft sci-fi melodrama with a dash of action. I also preferred it when the worldbuilding was really subdue and backstory was only implied.

>>84550732
>It's a capitalism with all its good and none of its bad, which can be easily seen with the celebration of consumerist nostalgia that's played into the whole individualist "inner beauty/celebration of imperfection" theme

Can you explain this? I don't really see the capitalism message or see how the nostalgia plays into the individualist theme. The two themes seem pretty unrelated.
>>
I just don't like women that much to be honest. I don't watch SU. I can't stand RWBY. I gave up on anime when K-On happened.

I need male characters to root for and for the female characters to bounce off them.
>>
>>84537110
Because the main character is shit and it's already been 2 seasons
>>
File: 4792173-9443409040-47409.jpg (254 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
4792173-9443409040-47409.jpg
254 KB, 2560x1600
>>84538717
even the westernized ones?
>>
>>84540000
SU game by Platinum when?
>>
>>84552036
when SU becomes as popular as Avatar TMNT and Transformers. give it a reboot and you got yourself a game
>>
>its another /co/ argues about SU thread

don't you people ever get tired of these? Isn't its obvious by now that the other side is bias to the point of irrationality

doesn't matter what actually happens in the show anymore, the people who like it will just keep liking it and the people who hate it will just keep hating it
>>
>>84540499
>Dislike Bayonetta
Chopp off your dick, you don't deserve it you fucking faggot.
>>
>>84537110
To balance out tumblr liking it too muchor some retarded reason
It's a good show and better then a lot of shit airing or recently aired but it's not the best thing to ever happen to animation. Also both /co/ and tumblr overhype the poliical agenda of this show
>>
>>84551228
Now how do I explain this? I'm not good at explaining things, and I'm probably reading far more into it then I should. And most of this comes from angst at the Mayor Dewey episode.

It's individualist in that it portrays individuals as individuals from without, without portraying them as members of the society they're a part of. People in real life are products of the society they're a part of. The problem with the whole "celebration of imperfection" thing is that society and large scale social problems can't and doesn't resolve themselves in the ways people as individuals solve their own problems. And the only way it can is if society suddenly became centred upon the individual. Capitalism promotes this kind of Robincrusoe-esque individualism, especially coming from liberals, and it's easy for people to project upon politics and so on their own personal emotional issues and deal with it like that.

People today are miserable, and the way many resolve their own alienation is through experiences, and as the majority of experiences are filtered through consumerism, the exercise becomes one of consumerism. In a similar vein, one way resolve their own misery is through participation, and through that politics becomes another expression of consumerism. You can easily see this occur in places like tumblr and elsewhere online (especially from the college Left), and SU's celebration of consumerist nostalgia plays into that.

(1/2)
>>
>>84537110
>all hail stephen, king of the lesbians!

no, but seriously, i tried watching it while it was on tv, and it wasn't good, it even felt cringy, the jokes where lame, then i realized that i was watching one of the hundreds of filler episodes from this show

truly the only reason people watch this is because of the lesbians, not even stephen
>>
>>84553145
*would not be
>>
>>84538312
>maybe it is popular with tumblr and SJWs

it panders di-rectly to that crowd, there's no maybe about it

>represents something more important and far less petty
it's a children's cartoon. children should not be indoctrinated, by short-sighted college-aged millennials no less. save your manifestos for the adults who can respond logically.

>integrity and ambition in cartoon making
lel nope
pandering is not integrity, and the only ambition these creators have is to get their dicks jerked by their friends

it's gorgeous work but it's trash and full of garbage nu-male pretense
>>
>>84553949

>standard lessons in morality and not being a dick
>""indoctrination""

I bet you have a lot of fun shouting at parents in the children's book section warning them about the irreparable damage being done.
>>
Its like shitty deviantart sonic OC's for waifufags.

Also wasted background art.
>>
>>84538368
No it's as deep as Digimon's. Dumby
>>
File: WS9.png (839 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
WS9.png
839 KB, 1136x640
>>84555073
Here's a more dated photo to remember it by.
>>
>>84555093
F
>>
>>84551450
The gems aren't even women, they're literally immortal rocks from a distant solar system.
>>
>>84541150
If this show is so fucking "safe" then why is /co/ unable to talk about it without unending shitposts?

I'll answer that question 4u:
>Show deals with emotional themes, yet in a very vague and foreign way
>You-know-where interprets that vagueness as a reference to their own insecurities
>Shitposters see you-know-where's pretentious claims and assume that they're indicative of the objective series
>Shitposts begin
>Nobody wins
>>
>>84549733
yeah it's simple, but the naked approach to things is what makes it different and great

it tackles things that we're all aware of and usually would think is common sense without trying to muck up the messages with irony and subversion

and yeah it appeals to common attitudes and pop culture references, but like wow, what a bad thing about it, trying to be relatable and likable to the generation it's made in instead of trying to be something totally different and new. it actually wants to reach people, many people, and right now

it's trying it's best to get to the heart of things. to people's hearts, and entertainment's hearts. it's a direct approach, and I really like that
>>
>>84555679
>>You-know-where interprets that vagueness as a reference to their own insecurities
I mean it often is
but people on 4chan gotta associate that with the actions of people who turn things into crusades, and that's where the anger here stems from, mostly

another large part of it is just the typical non-conformist attitude of young 4chan people who get a bad taste in their mouth when they see hordes of people fagging out about something 24/7, and they don't share/understand the excitement
>>
>>84555073
And here I was hoping for more lewd jokes. Now that they are repealing the old lewd jokes my hopes for new ones is utterly dashed.
>>
>>84549733
This is the actual show this copypasta was written for, right?
>>
Shit pacing/filler

>>84540000
All that stuff is made by white/jewish males, uncle toms, and bitches so privileged that they make bill gates look oppressed, so yes it is forced
>>
Because fuck your show. Wait I like this show nevermind.
>>
>>84553132
>Stephen King
I would love Stephen King to take over writing this show tbqh
>>
>>84537110
EVERYONE IS ANNOYING AND UGLY

EVERYONE
>>
>>84537828
What do you think he meant by
>There are some very vocal haters
>>
I have never met a kid who liked this show, I don't like this show, none of my friends like this show. I honestly don't know who watches it
>>
All the fusion shit is weird, especially Steven and Connie. But I really like the show.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.