[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you feel about Disney inaccuracies? Do you think they're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
How do you feel about Disney inaccuracies?
Do you think they're acceptable so long as they're good movies or would you rather they'd been closer to the source material, maybe not quite as dark but still in the same area?
Like instead of Hercules being a Superman of Ancient Greece it could've been a Hercules movie....just y'know without the rape and gay sex.
>>
File: 1468597109078.jpg (199 KB, 900x723) Image search: [Google]
1468597109078.jpg
199 KB, 900x723
>>84536202
I just care about good and entertaining stories.

If you care to anything other than this is a Disney movie, you are a patethic manchild autistic loser.
>>
I don't care because Disney never pretended they were making faithful adaptations of anything. Just stories inspired/based on X.

Now if a movie pops up bragging about its accuracy to source material, you bet I'll be nitpicking it to death.
>>
>>84536202
i was surprised by how light the black people were in princess and the frog
>>
>>84536202
I don't give a shit. Do you really think they could've faithfully adapted Greek mythology into a kids' film?
>>
I think only the biggest autists care if they're inaccurate.
>>
>>84536307
The prince was probably northern African and there are darker background charecters but at that point it becomes harder to animate facial expressions in a way that translates well.
>>
>>84536202
Disney's Hercules is a good Superman film
>>
>>84536307
Do you think lightskinned black people are a recent invention?
>>84536334
They could've been more accurate than they were. Not accurate but....more accurate.
>>
>>84536202
Had they treated it seriously I would have cared about inaccuracies, but considering it was done in a fairly light-hearted, satirical way I'm fine with it.
>>
>>84536202
Only autists care about that. These are movies for kids. OF COURSE Hercules isn't going to murder his family in a Disney movie. You're looking in the wrong place if you're looking for any kind of accuracy, like wanting a lap dance and walking into a Chuck E. Cheese. If you want accurate rats you'd go into a proper strip club.
>>
>>84536202
I'm not autistic
>>
>>84536202
Well the original plan for them to go closer with the original myth, with Hades being sort of a dark anti-heroic partner and Hera being the main villain.
>>
>>84536760
>Hades
>Partner
I thought Hades' role in the myth was basically repeated B&E victim
>>
Hercules annoys my Greek nerd but James Woods' Hades is so great it just becomes ok. So in the end it's good for what it is.

I'd be nice if a movie didn't have Hades be the devil. Rick Riordan's books did that but then the movie went right back to it.
>>
>>84536798
The original plan was to have Hades as a generic devil character, but James Wood said fuck that and ab-libbed most of his character.
>>
>>84536817
Yes I know. Like everyone probably knows.
>>
File: Jessica SHIT.jpg (71 KB, 368x681) Image search: [Google]
Jessica SHIT.jpg
71 KB, 368x681
>>84536798
>Hercules is Greek Superman
>making Hades Greek Lex Luthor
>Hades is played by James Woods
>James Woods is the new Lex Luthor
>>
It's the same as a movie adaption making changes from the comics
I don't really care but it can bother me a bit because it feels like they're throwing away something great
>>
>>84536202
the rape
the gay sex
the mass murders
the infanticides
the suicides
the tons of literal shit that have to be cleaned

yeah, I think Disney had no choice.
>>
>>84536901
I mean couldn't he have still been a half mortal Prince atleast?
>>
>>84536202
>murders his family in a rage
>rapes and murders Amazons
>somehow someone thinks this would make for a good children's film
It's a reimagining of the myth, interspersed with other myths (Orpheus being the core of the movie's plot and Pan being a support character wholly unrelated in the myths).

It's an entertaining movie but obviously isn't even an attempt to remain true to myths that no longer make for wholesome stories. I see no problem with it, as it's the classic Disney formula and it works.
>>
>>84536956
>rape the Amazons
I thought the whole Hippolady thing was consensual....then he robbed her.
>>
>>84536788
Hades is pretty respectable amongst the old Pantheon, not really well respected, constantly getting fucked over by bitchy "heroes" that want their loved ones back. He doesn't philander or instigate wars that much and takes care of the underworld. He's secondary god tier, not a villain, more of a bureaucrat who had to deal with the other asshole gods' bullshit (Poseidon, Zeus, Hera). He and Hephaestus are total bro tier IMO
>>
>>84536937
He was a shepherd both in mithology and in the movie during his youth, I think that's ok.
>>
>>84536977
It was Theseus really, straight up walked off with Hippolyta's sister as I recall.
>>
every fucking fairy tale they made a movie out of was inacurrate as fuck why is everyone always complaining about Hercules out of all things? It's for goddamn kids anyway
>>
>>84536901
None of that is connected to half the stuff they altered.
>>
>>84537128
Fairy tales weren't worshipped and a major part of the old world's culture for centuries. Religious people have always been the most autistic of fanbases.
>>
The only thing that pissed me off was Hera. That's one of the few things everyone knows about Hercules. I was a kid when this came out and it confused me.
>>
>>84536392
I thought he was Brazilian, but looking it up apparently he's Maldivian
>>
>>84537334
>greek mythology
>'''''relevant'''''
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.