[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sandman - The Sound of Speech Bubbles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: Sandman-comic.jpg (107 KB, 500x423) Image search: [Google]
Sandman-comic.jpg
107 KB, 500x423
Just got this in my feed, the Strip Panel Naked has a new video about Sandman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nqgJ3k1Crk

Wondered if he'd go into more detail about the bubble changing when he speaks to different people, which is interesting, too.
>>
>>84532579
>70 views
Sure, it just popped up in your feed. Fucking shill your videos elsewhere.
>>
>>84532716
Why so assblasted, anon?
>>
Well, I enjoyed it anyway.
>>
>>84532579
Nice. This is surprisingly a very basic thing but a lot of readers including me don't think about it.
>>
>>84532579
not giving this thing views, but they describe his voice in the comics. No one needs this besides maybe speed-e-readers
>>
>>84532878
That's not at all what this is about retard. These videos are great, they breakdown comics into their formal elements and we get to see theory in action from some really good books. I don't even care if the dude is shilling his Vida here, they're really good and deserve more exposure.
>>
>>84532579
That was pretty interesting. Personally, I imagined Dream sounds like echos of Alan Rickman, or Neil Gaiman himself.
>>
>>84533301
why so mad? no one wants to watch your shitty video?
>>
>>84532716
there's a few of us that share his videos cause they are very informative.
>>
BRITBONG
R
I
T
B
O
N
G
>>
File: Bane Patrol2.jpg (36 KB, 266x237) Image search: [Google]
Bane Patrol2.jpg
36 KB, 266x237
>>84532716
>Bane clip
It's as /co/mrade, alright.
>>
>>84532579
>you've captured them, and their imagination, and that's one of the most powerful tools as a storyteller
I feel like you missed an opportunity to segue into how Sandman's literally all about imagination and storytelling.
>>
>>84532716
Yeah I follow him on Twitter/subscribe. So it showed up. You seem kind of angry about that.
>>
>>84533776
Congratulations Anon you have successfully identified a British person. You know there are 60 million of us and we all speak English, right?
>>
>>84532827
I think that's one of the reasons I like his videos. It's not about super deep stuff or anything like that, but about things you do notice while reading but often don't think about. Like when you're reading a comic, you definitely notice a certain layout of the panels or shape of the speech bubbles, but you rarely stop and think about what it means especially if the comic doesn't explicitly draw attention to it.
>>
>>84534149
Yeah, you're right.
>>
>>84532878
>they describe his voice in the comics

It's really funny to me that you think that's what the video is about.
>>
This man's voice is pretty sexy.
>>
>>84534149
Yeah I didn't really think about the imagination part of it. I would be interested to see what he'd say about Dr. Manhattan's voice more. What does blue sound like?
>>
I always thought Morpheus's voice changed based on who he talked to, just like how his form changes. He is a powerful being, though, so I don't know why he would do that, I think he's showing off, and being prideful about it. Like a pretentious, little sniveling teenager.
Or maybe I'm just projecting my past self.
>inb4 "that youtube comment is saying the same thing, faggot
Yes. that's me.

Nonetheless, when I read his speech bubbles they sounded much like the Protoss, a british Protoss.
>>
>>84536991
Maybe it's not how dream changes his voice to each person.but instead it's the persons imagination (dream) thst interprets the boice differently
>>
>>84537746
Yes, I realize that. It adds to the whole picture of who Dream is.
I was just interpreting it from the side of Morpheus. What if he's just a cunt.
>>
>>84537774
Hmm i think that depends on how you dream. I lucid dream so even my nightmares are fun to experience. But to someone who is scared in nightmares i guess dream could be a cunt and i could understand that version of him. One of my favorite things is having my weird nightmarish dream quests cause my unconscious mind goes far beyond what my awake mind does. Like inventing sounds and colours that i can't hear or see, or doing really fucked up things with dimensions that are more than 4.

Dream is my bro
>>
>>84537746
Yeah the idea of voice as subjective is interesting, like his voice changes each time. How do you describe Delirium's voice?
>>
>>84533495
I think if we ever actually get that movie the Gaiman and JGL are supposedly working on, it would be cool to echo and overlap three or four voices, kinda like Dr. Fate in Young Justice.
>>
>>84539567
Colourful
>>
>>84539567
Delerium is my fav sandman character. Partly cause tori amos is my favorite musician and this is based on her. But mostly cause her erratic behavior really hsrnesses my imagination. It's very random and i love it
>>
>>84532579
You're never going to be anywhere near Every Frame a Painting. Your observations are trite and often not based on any coherent approach to image layout. You consistently insert non sequitur assumptions that you base your "arguments" on and as a result you never examine your longform in a meaningful sense. You make comics look more infantile than they are already. I wish other fields weren't so inundated so opportunistic libtards like yourself would fuck off to 230130120th video about Majora of Time Souls and poignancy of agency of pixelshit indiecade 3000.
>>
>>84532579
Listen, I understand you're playing the long game with this and that you refresh your Patreon daily, but the part where you say that you *have* to do something the certain way in a novel, followed by a random paragraph written in third person really goes below the already subterranean threshold of this "analysis".
>>
>>84541305
To be honest there is such a dearth of comics criticism that even if all of this was true it'd still be better than 99% of what's out there.

I don't find it all true, but I do find these videos pretty YMMV and in some of them I'm in agreement with your non sequitur point particularly. But I'm happy they're being made, the explanation of a considered take is valuable in a field where so many readings (which means so many reviews, so much press...) aren't considered at all.
>>
>>84541419
Well, in this video he at least says that his opinions need not be considered fact. But therein lies another problem of this analysis, it chooses its topics in such a way that the observation often amount to "O RLY" moments.

I expect it to deteriorate further and go in the direction of those "Batman and Philosophy" style books where you start a simple topic and then go off on various tangents which are just regurgitated Wikipedia entries; I am surprised that this video didn't prolong its length for several minutes by teaching us something about the importance of inflections and Roman view on rhetorics.

Every "analysis" that frequently veers off to expound on various definitions, like this one does with, say, suspension of disbelief has to offer nothing of importance. Read Houllebecq on Lovecraft (not you particularly, anon) to see how to write an essay. This is just bullshit.
>>
>>84541528
I think the series has some trouble determining what its scope is meant to be.
>>
>>84541655
The scope is to forcefully shit out a new video at a consistent rate so the patreon link which was set up beforehand doesn't go dry.
>>
>>84541419
I agree. I appreciate that someone is making something more than explaining superhero back stories in this way.

These videos definitely have strong and weak episodes though.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.