[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he right? Just kidding I know he's right.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: tires-on-the-batmobile.jpg (41 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
tires-on-the-batmobile.jpg
41 KB, 700x700
Is he right?
Just kidding I know he's right.
>>
He's wrong. Alfred pumps the Batmobile's tires.
>>
>>84529723
He did a pretty poor job that one time the Batmobile lost a wheel and the Joker got away.
>>
Batman used to have this mongoloid named Harold that would pump the tires.
>>
>>84529692
I wish I could get all of /co/ to internalize this simple and obvious logic. *Sigh* - but I know they never will...
>>
>>84529692
More or less.

In fiction, to a certain extent you can separate this shit into "things that are important to the narrative" and "things that are not important to the narrative".

It's not important who fucks with Batman's tires for about 99% of Batman stories, so it doesn't matter.
>>
>>84529692
In a sense I suppose he is right, but I think he's also over looking the fact that the adults don't really believe any of this, they are just asking questions. I remember once seeing a post about "Hard Science Fiction, because physicists like to be entertained too", this is kind of how I feel about this quote. Yes, I am very aware it's a completely made upstory, but if I have the chance to ask dumb questions like these to the guy who is writing the story I will, something about dumb little details like this have a way of enriching a story for me. Do they actually matter? No. Are they fun to theorize about and discuss? Absolutely.
>>
>>84529896
You can kind of tell the two apart though. People like to pick apart stuff, but the difference comes from whether or not it feels like author knows the answers.

In a well-thought out work of fiction, the audience will try to pick apart clues to glean what may be coming next, or what may be in the subtext of the narrative.

In a bad work of fiction, the audience will pick things apart because it's obvious that it wasn't thought-out, either by poor writing or plotting.
>>
>>84529893
Now I want there to be a comic about some villain wannabe breaking into the Batcave strictly so he can let the air out of Batman's tires.
>>
>>84530030
That will be saved for when they make Jason Todd I to the Joker
>Bruce is gonna freak!! Haha!!
>>
>>84529692

He is right but shit heads like you take it in the wrong context
>>
Morrison flip flops all the time between comics being great and being shit. The most radical and harsh statements come from pre-internet interviews

One time he said the whole medium was populated and consumed by morons

Later he defends DC from Moore's comments by saying the writing is the best it's ever been

He has both praised and damned Rob Liefeld
>>
>>84530297
What's the right context because I always assumed it was who pumps the Bat tires isn't really important to the story at hand. Caring about that stuff is just missing the forest for the trees.
>>
>>84529692
There should be a villain who collects all of Batman's used up gadgets and uses them to frame Batman for crimes. And then he fights Batman using them.
>>
>>84529692
this: >>84530297

In a fantasy world, some rules and details matter more than others.

A simple example:
It's not important who pumps the tires if the car is just a means of transportation, but it is important whether or not the car has tires. If it doesn't, the audience deserves to know why, since it implies a fantastical deviation from real life.

So, in this case, two details of potentially comparable insignificance to the story require different levels of explanation because people need to know how the fantasy world is constructed and how it differs. There are other reasons to disregard some details and emphasize others. This is just one of them.
>>
Harold Allnut pumped the tires of the Batmobile.

Grant Morrison is a fucking casual.
>>
>>84530297
That's not it, he's a writer: he's trying to entertain people and here's someone in the world going out of their way to not enjoy his efforts.
AND to push this nonsense onto other readers who would otherwise find enjoyment in his work, that's gotta piss him off.
Really, what is the point of that?
>>
>>84529692

That's less to do with comics and more just the general TVTropesificaion of criticism. Everyone likes to nitpick every individual aspect of a story and categorise it, and if you complain about this you're screamed at for wanting people to dumb themselves down or "turn their brain off."

It's missing the forest for the trees on a massive scale, and there's no way to stop it. It's just what criticism of art is going to become, it's an inevitability at this point.
>>
>>84530507
He stopped when Hush pumped him full of lead
>>
>>84529831
>*Sigh*
Really now?
>>
>>84530507
The dead guy? How can a ghost even touch the tire?
>>
>>84529831
>*Sigh*

John Byrne is that you? I recognize one of the three tell tale signs of your typing

The other two are calling people microbrains and self censoring swear words
>>
>>84530552
Yes. Really now. Isn't that sad?
>>
>>84530585
Why would John Byrne show up on a Morrison thread?
He's still mad at him after that jerk couldn't let one little thing go!
>>
File: MatPat.jpg (74 KB, 400x398) Image search: [Google]
MatPat.jpg
74 KB, 400x398
Welcome to another episode of GAYME THEORY! Today we will dicover crabs sing in the little mermaid because they are actually ALIENS! And batman's story was A DREAM THE WHOLE TIME! Thanks for watching.
>>
>>84530647
His actually viable theory videos are pretty cool
>>
>>84530585
Why the fuck would John Byrne agree with Morisson? He still despises him for his X-men run.
>>
>>84530661
>His actually viable theory videos
Oh you mean the ones that don't exist?
>>
>>84529692
Everyone knows he's wrong.

The comparison isn't valid at all.
>>
>>84533099
how is it not? They're both fictional stories for children.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.