[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Comic Code Authority
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: CCA_logo.gif (4 KB, 95x115) Image search: [Google]
CCA_logo.gif
4 KB, 95x115
I know the majority of /co/ (and myself) would rather the artists and writers of comic books and graphic novels have full control over the artistic input to the story without them being hindered by a censorship program like the CCA, but does any of /co/ think that if there was a modified program of the sort, that it could benefit in any way?

Just testing the waters to see if anyone has a special input
>>
I'm not really seeing how this would help anything as it was an attempt to do what the ESRB does I.E. censor comics so the government won't. But it literally didn't matter since the comics scare was started by a guy complaining about racism not violence and sex.

Then we got the silver age out of it and comics that weren't allowed to be realistic at all. As it stands the Big two censor the fuck out of their own work and avoid various issues except either to touch on them for publicity or occasionally a writer sneaks under the radar and writes something interesting.

In short the CCA did nothing of value. If a revised version were introduced what would it even do? Ban crap like Bomb Queen? (for being pointlessly vulgar) how about invincible (tons of gore but aside from that decently standard superhero book)

what exactly would a revised CCA even do?
>>
>>84526612
>complaining about racism not violence and sex.

Not it was about his bullshit study that linked reading comics to causing childhood delinquency
>>
>>84526653
the bullshit study is what caused the national fracas which lead to publishing magnates paranoid about getting censored. the guy's big beef was racism and he kind of went into the comics looking for what he deemd subversive material.

Called Captain America Nazi Nazi Propaganda, same with superman.
>>
>I know the majority of /co/ (and myself) would rather the artists and writers of comic books and graphic novels have full control over the artistic input to the story
Not true at all.

The most popular comics on /co/ are editor-controlled comics; comics where the writers and artists must always be subservient to the editors, where the artists and writers will be immediately fired if ever they disobey their editors.

The vast majority of /co/ doesn't give a damn about writers and artists having creative freedom of any sort.
>>
>>84526612
I think any censorship whatsoever really detracts from human creativity, so I can't think of any real reason we would need it.
However, I'm open to ideas and I wanted to see if anyone had a good reason or example to prove me otherwise
>>
>>84526786
The vast majority of /co/ barely cares about artists at all. People will credit a run to a writer and never mention the artist(s)

The best recent example is Tom King. Omega Men, The Vision, and Sheriff of Babylon are all "his"
>>
>>84526786
Really?
I mean, artistic vision is what the entire industry thrives on, aside from the shit ton of money money (primarily made by Marvel/DC)

lol, maybe I'm overestimating the amount of thought /co/ puts into the meaning of the stories in comics.
>>
>>84526839
When I mean artists, I mean anyone involved in the creative process (writer, drawer, inker, etc.)
>>
>>84526917
Exactly. /co/ barely cares about pencillers, cares even less about colorists, and doesn't care at all about inkers.
>>
>>84526892
>maybe I'm overestimating the amount of thought /co/ puts into the meaning of the stories in comics.

Yep
>>
>>84526892
Editorial vision is what two thirds of the industry thrives on.

Marvel and DC comics (the comics which are popular on /co/) are all about scheduling cancellations and relaunches according to editorially-mandated directives, building up towards editorially-mandated crossover events, and dealing with the editorially-mandated aftermaths of said events.

Artistic vision? Don't make me laugh.
>>
>>84526839
>>84526917
>>84526951
Would you rather have Flex Mentallo with Booth art or Civil War II with Quietly art?

Don't lie.
>>
>>84527051
Civil War II with Quietly.

Wanting good art doesn't mean I'm fine with awful writing though. The whole package should be great
>>
>>84527101
liar
>>
>>84526788
well 'censorship' nintendo for instance is fond of changing things in their localization because they thing it will sell better. This can vary from lewd content to jokes that honestly don't fucking translate (try explaining that a single Kanji can have as many as 40 viable prononciations each with it's own nuanced meaning in any reasonable time table. The joke isn't dead it never existed. Nevermind more mundane shit like rhyming jokes that obviously don't translate well)

secondly if I'm writing a children's book I'm gonna want to have someone keeping an eye on that shit. I mean I grew up on shit like Rocko's modern life so I'm not gonna raise a ruckus about subtle humor but sometimes limitations aren't a bad thing.

We have teleporters in star trek because the studio couldn't afford to get the shuttle they needed for the show on time. So the producer told the writers 'write around it' so they wrote in the teleporter.

Sometimes the best jokes, best ideas, come from limitations placed on us. I just fucking got done with arguing with a guy on a project I'm working on about an Idea I hate for our story. We're using it anyway because while enumerating all the problems I had with it I realized it was way more interesting than my stupid idea. I still don't LIKE it but that doesn't mean it doesn't have potential.

Censorship, I.E. placing constraints on creative freedom isn't necessarily a bad thing, even for creative products.

depends on how it's handled.
>>
>>84527051
Consider the following:

More /co/mrades will read Civil War II than the number of /co/mrades who have read Flex Mentallo.

After all, Civil War II has marketing and LONG-LASTING CONSEQUENCES behind it.
>>
>>84527112
In comics most writers are just the tail wagging the dog anyway
>>
>>84527198
nope

fuck off
>>
>>84527121
> if I'm writing a children's book I'm gonna want to have someone keeping an eye on that shit.

Well, of course there should be different levels of censorship. That's why today we have the ESRB rating system in video games (E, E+, T, M) I agree with you there.

>We have teleporters in star trek because the studio couldn't afford to get the shuttle

Well, I believe budget is simply a natural factor that places limits from all angles on someone's story telling.

>nintendo for instance is fond of changing things in their localization because they thing it will sell better

I think that is a given, but a valid point nonetheless. It's the same way tongue twisters are easy in some languages, hard in a particular one.
>>
>>84526951
Aren't people mostly following the story? I could see caring about artists if you are one (I am), like I could see musicians caring about drummers or bassists in their favorite bands.
>>
>>84527748
most are yeah, the guy is bitterly complaining about the average comic fan not giving much of a fuck about artists because apparently he just discovered how much effort goes into making an image.

I work on a video game as head writer and we have one dude sketching designs, that guy pases the sketches over to our finisher. Then we have the background artist.

Up until now I didn't pay attention to that sort of thing, it can really be quite fascinating if you give two fucks about the people involved.

But we're making a JRPG/Grand Strategy game with Visual Novel elements. People will notices bits of the art sure, but I don't think they're ever gonna wonder about where the reference images for that psuedo roman city came from or how many iterations of sprite style we went through before settling on over all design or how we switched out wolves for seals with our pengune barbarians.
>>
>>84526261
Bendis
>>
>>84528236
The Writer?
>>
>>84528236
>>84528282
If there's nothing left to say then just let the thread die.
>>
File: 1468383119387.png (228 KB, 193x494) Image search: [Google]
1468383119387.png
228 KB, 193x494
>>84527976
>>84527748
>>84526917
>tfw i skip over most of the art to read the story
its probably because of people like me
>>
File: 1468379414609.jpg (107 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
1468379414609.jpg
107 KB, 500x373
>>84528311
hey anon, we're not talking about this.
>>
File: 1468379448366.jpg (107 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1468379448366.jpg
107 KB, 500x375
>>84528467
and we're not talking about this!
>>
>>84528374
Why not read novels instead?
>>
File: 1468379483090s.jpg (3 KB, 125x93) Image search: [Google]
1468379483090s.jpg
3 KB, 125x93
>>84528493
WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THIS!
>>
File: 1468604222753.png (688 KB, 1280x1745) Image search: [Google]
1468604222753.png
688 KB, 1280x1745
>>84527976
Thanks for posting this, it's a pretty interesting read

name of your game pls
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.