[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone ever seen "Romeo and Juliet: Sealed with a K
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
Has anyone ever seen "Romeo and Juliet: Sealed with a Kiss"? I just discovered this movie exists, and based on what little of it I've seen, the animation somehow looks simultaneously good and bad at the same time? Like, the motions are really fluid, almost like a DIsney film, but the colors are extremely flat and the characters clash with the backgrounds in weird ways. What is up with the making of this movie? It's ratings were abysmal; is it some unfinished and sabotaged mess like Food Fight was?

clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-3HKLLJW9U
>>
>>84522329
It was animated by one person, if I recall.
>>
>>84522377
Yep. Just look at the credits:
>Directed by: Phil Nibbelink
>Produced by Margit Friesacher, Phil Nibbelink
>Written by Phil Nibbelink, William Shakespeare (play)
>Voice credit: Phil Nibbelink, Chanelle Nibbelink, etc
>Edited by: Phil Nibbelink
>Production company: Phil Nibbelink Production
>>
>>84522329
I saw this a while ago and I thought I remembered the animation looking better. Maybe I saw it in low quality.
>>
File: zpkwvb.gif (481 KB, 500x321) Image search: [Google]
zpkwvb.gif
481 KB, 500x321
>>84522575
Holy shit, I don't even care how bad this movie might be anymore, that shit's impressive for ONE guy to do EVERYTHING, I wish I had that kind of motivation.
>>
>>84522329
>Uploader has not made this available in your country

Well screw you too then. N..not like I wanted to see it anyway...
>>
>>84522641
I'll agree with you, but it's really awful.
>>
why would he put so much work into something so meaningless?

this is walmart $2.50 bin filler and he could have made literally anything.
>>
>>84522575
That clip was pretty good he got some skills.
>>
>>84522575
Holy shit I thought that was just a joke. How many years did it take this guy to animate this?
>>
it has something to do with Tentacolino?

the puppy faced octopus that saved people from the Titanic?
>>
>>84523663
nope, that's an italian animated movie
>>
>>84522329
>>84522575
>>84522377
Well for me this movie was created by Phil Nibbelink, the guy who made An American Tail: Fievel Goes West and Puss in Boots (1999).
>>
>>84522592
Well, for that, it's half flash and half draw, because it's called flash animation, like you see these flash animation from Johnny Test, Loud House, Teen Titans Go, etc.
>>
>>84522329
I saw this quite a few years back.

I don't remember it being that great, but man that is impressive for one guy.
>>
>>84523637
Four and a half.
>>
>>84523663
No, it's Romeo and Juliet, but extra kid friendly and with seals. They do have a dance scene on the ruins of the Titanic, though.
>>
>>84524759
>Work as an animator for 4 and a half years
>Every day I come into work in my own office
>But that's just it, I'm always by myself
>Production and friends couldn't be bothered to spare me any staff
>"It's four years. You can manage with Flash, can't you?"
>Have to make storyboards, rough sketches, draw each and every frame by hand for a movie over an hour long
>Get paid little for how much I do
>Movie gets rushed near the end
>Can't finish adding detail to the characters or backgrounds, like shadows, colors, etc
>They slap my unfinished work into a DVD case and sell it for $3.00 in Best Buy bargin bins
>>
>>84524896
I think it was more like his own pet project. The production company has his name in it.
>>
File: 1460929543523.jpg (147 KB, 1448x968) Image search: [Google]
1460929543523.jpg
147 KB, 1448x968
Seals are the only reason why I haven't killed myself.
>>
File: seal.webm (2 MB, 344x510) Image search: [Google]
seal.webm
2 MB, 344x510
>>84525578
>>
File: surprised waterdog.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
surprised waterdog.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
>>84525712
>>
>>84522329
The color palette is what really kills the aesthetic
>>
It's really impressive that he was able to make an entire feature by himself, but thats kinda in the same league as Boyhood taking 12 years to make in that the effort exerted is the only impressive part.
The character animation is really good, probably cus the dude is a character animator, but everything else looks rather bad, from the layouts, to the backgrounds, to the effects and the writing. Animated films are like a herculean effort that take a massive amount of talent and manpower, and unless you're an artistic renaissance man, its probably not the best idea to half ass it. also,
>made an animated film written and produced by himself
>make it a disney-knockoff film about Romeo and Juliet but with seals and cringy, tripe trying-to-be-funny dialogue
>>
>>84527512
Don't forget
>makes his four year old daughter a major comic relief character

Quote taken from the Wikipedia article:
>I would take these silly improvs that my little daughter would do. I mean, lines like, she would say, ‘Babies – p-ew! I hate stinky babies!’ I said, ‘That’s hilarious!’ So I would use it.
>>
File: 1465288185664.gif (604 KB, 495x320) Image search: [Google]
1465288185664.gif
604 KB, 495x320
>>84527585
>mfw
this is why you don't makes things in a vacuum/steal ideas from your small child and then not credit them
>>
>>84527726
He credited her. She does the voice and she's in the credits. It's just that the voice isn't her acting, it's recorded improv.
>>
File: Getter Robo Armageddon.webm (3 MB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
Getter Robo Armageddon.webm
3 MB, 640x427
>>84527884
welp, my bad for not fact checking properly, heres a .webm as an apology
>>
He made it about seals specifically because they were easy to animate.
>>
>>84528880
That's as good a reason as any, I guess. I was wondering, though.

Still wish he'd picked a Shakespeare story that was less played out.
>>
For an entire film made by one man, 4 years is a pretty good number if you ask me.
Why aren't you singlehandedly making your own animated film, /co/? You don't need some executive's approval, or an audience to pander, or money for a team. All you need is patience, by the time you're done some studio will give you a pity greenlit for your needless effort and if the work is great you'll force your way into the animation industry. Sounds like a good plan to me.
>>
>>84529729
>Sealed with a kiss was created on an estimated budget of $2 million.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.