[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your opinions on this chica /co/? Good? Bad? Does she
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
What are your opinions on this chica /co/?

Good? Bad? Does she deserve a solo or is she better as a team player?
>>
She's literally got no character. She's either pulling powers out of her arse or rolling her eyes constantly.

Why is she on Ultimates?
>>
>>84519544
I find her annoying for the most part which is weird because I usually like bitchy characters
Maybe she doesn't get called out enough on it or I don't like the books enough to like her
>>
>>84519590
they needed a way to teleport around the multiverse. She brings nothing else to the team.
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 414x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 414x640
Anyone read this? Looks interesting enough.
>>
>>84519544
Ewing has made great strides with her characterization. However I think the only way she would make an interesting solo character is if she did weird multiversal stuff and not get stuck in the 616. Explore more about her home dimesion so it has something besides rainbow colored futa world. She would need some Gerber style weirdness to set herself apart from other flying bricks.
>>
>>84519669
It's not bad
>>
>>84519544
I used to like her or at very least, not hate her.
Now, all the Young Avengers members just remind me that Patriot is who knows the fuck where, retired for some bullshit reason. But especially seeing her and Hulkling around just irks me.
>>
>>84519544
Literally Tumblr: The Character
>>
I'm more worried about her getting a shit writer so I hope she sticks with Ewing
>>
>>84519544
I like her. I want to see Ewing do more with her.
A solo book or at least a limited series with her multiverse hopping with her girlfriend could potentially develop her more, so sure.
>>
I liked his Casey (her creator) persona. Outgoing, sassy, aggressive...and straight
>>
She seems fine to me in Ultimates, haven't read anything else with her though.
>>
>>84519627

They should've use Aarkus the Golden Age Vision. He would've tied in well with the cosmic cube stuff.
>>
She's kinda a dick and I have no idea what her powerset is but it involved stars.
>>
File: cosplay.jpg (93 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
cosplay.jpg
93 KB, 960x640
>>84519590
>pulling powers out of her arse
yep

>>84519934
>She's kinda a dick
yep

Also, she's a prime example of blatant over-pandering, which makes all of these misses even worse.
>>
>>84519544
Forget Hellcat, or Squirrel girl or Gwenpool, THIS is the worst Marvel character
>>
>>84519590
>>84520137
>pulling powers out of her arse
Her powers haven't changed since young Avengers
>>
>>84519544
Decent concept, great aesthetic, dumb backstory, horrible characterization.
>>
>>84520427
She can close tears in the fabric of reality by thinking happy thoughts and dancing.
>>
>>84520636
>Decent concept, great aesthetic, dumb backstory, horrible characterization.

Can I ask you to elaborate a bit more on each of those points? Particularly her characterization
>>
>>84520677
That is the same power she had in young avengers. Ewing just gave it rules punches and aggression to open holes and happy thoughts to close them. She only needed to dance because the tear was huge the small ones she makes herself don't need any grand acts. Gillen had her doing it with no explanation.
>>
>>84520824
Did she ever even need to close them herself in Young Avengers or did they just close on their own after she and the others were through?
>>
>>84521054
As I said no explanation. It just happened off screen. Ewing basically just nerfed the power making it so she couldn't just crack open portals of any size or close shit like the WoK's fault.
>>
There's a lot of material to work with in Miss America. I think as a character she's interesting, but I'd be nervous about current Marvel's take on her: what I would like is something trippy and weird and cosmic that also explores the strange background she has and the ugly sides of her personality as well as the good ones. Ewing has messed around with this a little but there's not a lot of character development time for anyone in Ultimates.

It's important to take Miss America being headstrong and abrasive and competitive and enormously driven and look at that in the context of her basically slumming it from a utopian dimension that didn't have many of the problems she fights against. Her situation is totally unique even without getting into the weird origins of her dimension: no real world situation exists that parallels her immigration to 616. So look at why is she here. Is it for a grand cause, or does she just think it is? Or maybe that's how others read her. It's easy for her to win here. She can fight the biggest problems. She can be a champion for underclasses. It's a thrill, and it's not one she could have gotten in the same way at 'home'.

If you give the book to somebody like Jeremy Whitley, who just the other day wrote a Miss America story where she dimension-hopped to cheer up by looking at some alternate, successful (living) James Rhodes and implied the reason she hangs around in 616 is to pine for Kate Bishop, you might as well burn it. I want a story with the unquestionably heroic Miss America, warts and all, that explores everything that character could be.
>>
>>84521452
>If you give the book to somebody like Jeremy Whitley, who just the other day wrote a Miss America story where she dimension-hopped to cheer up by looking at some alternate, successful (living) James Rhodes and implied the reason she hangs around in 616 is to pine for Kate Bishop, you might as well burn it. I want a story with the unquestionably heroic Miss America, warts and all, that explores everything that character could be.

What's the issue of her using her powers to cheer herself up looking at other dimensions? Or is the main issue that comic had was the implication the ONLY reason she was here was for certain people she liked?
>>
>>84521452
Second that.
She's a character with great potential. I think Ewing knows that and used just a little bit of it in The Ultimates, but people still can do more with her.

>>84521707
Should be Civil War II: Choosing Sides. There's a shot story about rhodey funeral and some character's point of view of that.
>>
>>84521452
I feel like the americate thing is a big problem for for America because other writers won't stop shipping it. I don't think Kate has come up at all in Ultimates but almost every appearance she had between ultimates and YA has been people teasing it. I figured Ewing gave her a girlfriend in the hopes of having this die down but like you said they did it again in choosing sides even having her say her girlfriend probably wouldn't mind. It is the same problem Kamala has where a lot of writers just focus on the fangirl side of her character.
>>
>>84521766
>what's the issue

Think you misunderstood my meaning, I read the comic, I mean what's the 'problem' with what I said?
>>
>>84521797
Oh, sorry. I think there's no problem with that too.
Don't mind my post.
>>
>>84521707
I'm not going to be able to communicate that well my opinion on this - I need to think about it more - but I suppose It just seemed low-stakes, easy, happy-go-lucky stuff. For me that's not so interesting and it's not where America really shines. There isn't anything wrong with it, I'd just like more from the character than that. I think the stuff you can explore with her has a lot of potential not easily found in other characters.

There's some stuff on cutting the impact (if any) of Rhodey's death too, and making dimension hopping bland, and having a pathetic motive for a character that you're never going to explore as pathetic too. But I've not thought it all out.
>>
She's perfect to anchor a new Exiles. which will never happen but whatever.

AmeriKate is garbage
>>
>>84521904
There's also an unexplored contradiction in that story where we stop in on these different Rhodes' and we get the hint America is here for Kate, but we don't see or think about any other Kates or Americas. I don't actually see anything wrong with Mac being here for Kate if you're going to give that the attention and analysis it deserves because it is a weird and pathetic and very definitely questionable motive. Not necessarily bad or wrong, but worth the questioning.
>>
>>84519544
She only exists to be a lesbian brown woman. Her OP powerset makes her ultimately useless.
>>
She's a major bitch and knows it. I like that about her character. I'm also fine with her powers but I feel like it's kind of an ass pull that suddenly she can outstrip Monica and BM in the speed department.
>>
>>84522019
She didn't outstrip Monica, not even close. Monica commented on how she was visibly moving while Monica was at lightspeed - most people just appear still.
>>
>>84522019
>outstrip Monica and BM in the speed department.
She can't though. Monica was seeing her in slow motion meaning she was still several times slower Monica. I'm not sure how fast BM is suppose to be.
>>
>>84519544
She triggers my nationalism

She also triggers my dick

I wonder if there's a relation between the two.

Either way, the character has potential. It just hasn't been really explored beyond witty dialogue.
>>
>>84519544
I really would like to fuck her
>>
I'm not crazy about this whole "I've been doing this since I was 6 years old so I'm more experienced and adept at superheroing than almost all of the Avengers even though no one had ever heard of me until recently" schtick she has going for her.

At least when Blue Marvel got retconned in we knew that he'd retired for decades and that's why he wasn't around for early FF or Avengers stories. What's America's excuse?
>>
>>84522852
She wasn't in this Universe.
>>
>>84522146
>le potential
Yeah the same "potential" miles has had for 5 years now right? How long has chavez existed?
>>
>>84522891
So she just so happened to be in an alternate reality every time there was a universe ending threat even though she treats 616 as her home
>>
>>84522975
She only recently started in the 616. If choosing sides is to be believed prior to meeting Kate Bishop she didn't favor this universe over others.
>>
>>84519544
I kind of liked her in Vengeance even though she was angry 24/7 but had shit happened to her and she wasn't treated like the best shit ever so it was interesting to deal with that.

She was also fun and sassy but Gillen just took whatever interesting thing she had and just killed it.
>>
>>84523075
She landed in 616 when she ran away from home the first time, she was in Vengeance and fucked Ultimate Nullifier
>>
Fine as shit.

Other details irrelevant.
>>
>>84522933
lots of people in this thread said what they could do with the character.
>>
Anything she's in, instantly into the trash.
>>
>>84523447
It doesn't say what universe she landed and Vengence didn't happen until she was 16 which was only a short while ago. There is no proof that she was in 616 before vengeance or stayed the entire time after it.
>>
I really want to like her, kind of like Korra.

Unlike Korra, she's boring at worst and never irritating.
>>
>>84519544
>America

NO!
>>
>>84521986
So, basically, the relationships exist only to exist, because the depth they provide don't inflate the character dynamics to the point where it influences the narrative to a significant manner.
>>
>>84519544
Nice legs

I don't read her comics but I get the feeling her legs are the best thing about her
>>
>>84519544
Honestly?

She doesn't interest me enough to bother to read her shit. The good half of Simonson's work takes more time per issue to absorb fully than any modern Marvel arc.

As far as I'm concerned, the last modern Marvel arc with potential was Superior Iron Man, and that just... decapitated itself midway through. This bitch is just... some bitch. I have not been sold on the idea, the conceptual history, the character, the aesthetics, or any of her plotlines.
>>
>>84519544
Magik tier background character
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.