[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It wasn't even so much the inclusion of pederasty which
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 11
File: gyatso and aang.jpg (12 KB, 339x263) Image search: [Google]
gyatso and aang.jpg
12 KB, 339x263
It wasn't even so much the inclusion of pederasty which set ATLA apart from other cartoons of the time, it was the fact that it was done so without modern judgment and that it was dealt with like a perfectly normal part of the setting.
>>
>>84515513
>>84515513
Here's your (you).

Man, that scene where Aang discovers Gyatso's corpse still gets me emotional.
>>
The fuck are you talking about
>>
>>84515780
Seriously?

A scene where a spooky skelly got shown only momentarily ... and you get emotional?

Really???
>>
>>84515826
He is saying the air monks were kiddiefiddlers.
>>
>>84515852
Gyatso was literally his father, so it fugures
>>
>>84515852
It's the context.
>>
>>84516341
>Gyatso was literally his father
No. Not literally.
>>
>>84516736
Literally his adoptive father.
Anyway, the other monks were douches
>>
>>84516781
>Literally his adoptive father.
Depends how you define it. Gyatso was a father figure but he didn't literally adopt Aang. Air Nomads raised kids communally, Aang would never literally say that Gyatso was his Dad, adoptive or otherwise.
>>
>>84515780
>surrounded by the crushed corpses of a shit ton of fire warriors

man, imagine the battle

I bet it was rockin as fuck
>>
>>84515513
So each of the nations had their own flaw:

The water tribe was too mired in tradition, like most savage tribes.
The fire nation was too militaristic and nationalist, like imperial japan or nazis.
The earth nation was too much like 1984, like USA or china.
And the air nation was all pedophiles, like... ancient greece? I don't buy it OP.
>>
>>84517165
>The water tribe was too mired in tradition, like most savage tribes.
You know, in most every other place in the world it seemed men and women were treated about the same. We see male and female soldiers in the Fire Nation and even the prisons were co-ed.

Pretty much the only time any gender issue came up was when they went to the Northern Water Tribe.

What was up with that?
>>
>>84517165
>And the air nation was all pedophiles, like... ancient greece? I don't buy it OP.
Too peaceful and open to the good man, not necessarily naive, but if they had developed better technology that would allow them to move swiftly or had been more willing to defend themselves, they would have had more survivors
>>
>>84517217
>>The water tribe was too mired in tradition
you literally just quoted it.
>>
>>84517217
The women made great healers and thus were valuable resources where as the men were just cannon fodder expendable.
>>84517165
>The water tribe was too mired in tradition, like most savage tribes.
These are humans that have lived in a frozen wasteland for centuries anon culture is the only reason they havent lost their sanity.
> fire nation was too militaristic and nationalist, like imperial japan or nazis.
There is nothing wrong with being nationalistic or imperialistic either.
>he earth nation was too much like 1984, like USA or china.
What the fuck are you talking about? Only UR was around that tech level the earth kingdom was like ancient asia a backwater shithole with a few nice places.
>And the air nation was all pedophiles, like... ancient greece? I don't buy it OP.
Air Nation were primtive isolationist they would have eventually been conquered.
>>
>>84517217
When you live in the south pole most of you food is going to be hunted and most hunter based societies are usually very strongly male dominant.
>>
>>84517165
I think the Air Nomads flaw was either their devotion to pacifism making them sitting ducks, or possibly that they were so focused on achieving enlightenment that they began to lose touch with the world around them.
>>
>>84517284
>primtive
I don't think you could say they were primitive
Their culture included airbending to such a high extent because most air nomad people were airbenders
If you don't need a plane to fly around in the sky and travel to new nations?, why would you build one?
They were as advanced as they needed to be, there wasn't any real cause for advancing
>>
>>84517334
Air Nomads didnt even have fucking paper they were even more primtive than Water Tribes who lived in icy wastelands thats why their tech was way behind Fire and Earth civilizations. It looked like the Air Nomads also didnt trade with other nations, and refused to advance at all.
>>
>>84517412
Primitive means early stages of civilization
If they aren't going to advance any further than that, then they wouldn't be primitive
Also, Air Nomads had paper, Aang knew how to read/write and traditionally monasteries were known for having more educated individuals than the common populace
>>
>>84517412
>Air Nomads didnt even have fucking paper
source?
>>
>>84517441
>If they aren't going to advance any further than that, then they wouldn't be primitive
Yh anon like the Maasai tribes arent primitive because they want to maintain their backwards culture.

Tenzin even shows the primitive ways of the Air Nation by having the new Air Nation basically a bunch of boring monk fucks.

If I had a choice I would pick the Fire Nation to live in.
>>
>>84517488

he means toilet paper, perhaps...
>>
>>84517217
Bryke wanted to make one generic social commentary with each nation, which was what I was listing. To give them some credit they weren't quite arbitrary, the Earth Kingdom, which corresponds with Confucian china really was bureaucratic and 1984-ish for lack of a better word (and is still), imperial japan was, well, imperialist, and I presume that the Inuits weren't filled with female hunters or anything.
>>
>>84517488
There is no source because there is also no paper to write it down.
>>
File: realisticfournatios.png (627 KB, 700x552) Image search: [Google]
realisticfournatios.png
627 KB, 700x552
>>84517490
>>
>>84517490
>Tenzin even shows the primitive ways of the Air Nation by having the new Air Nation basically a bunch of boring monk fucks
It's not primitive if there is all this technology surrounding them and they choose to live a different lifestyle
>>
Can we all agree that The legend of Korea does well expending the universe, but fucks up in the plot?
>>
>>84517599
It is fucking primitive jackass thats why modern chinks dont like the air nomadic fucks.
>>
>>84517664
>It is fucking primitive jackass thats why modern chinks dont like the air nomadic fucks.
so it's not that you don't understand the definition
it's just that you're a racist
because it's not a primitive filled with primitive technology
>>
>>84517654
No. The reason why the worldbuilding works so well is because it is firmly rooted in actual asian history, culture, spirituality, etc. Korra turned bending into shonen fantasy powers and the spirit world lost all its Spirited away-esque mysteriousness. There were other things too but I don't remember them.
>>
>>84517696
It is primitive compared to Earth and Fire you stupid fuck. HURR THEY WANTE TO LIVE AS TECHNOLOGICALLY DEVOID NATURE IS THE BEST GUYS CULTURE HURR

I bet you think Aboriginal culture is beautiful as well.
>>
>>84517654
It does neither
>>
>>84517728
>It is primitive compared to Earth and Fire you stupid fuck
No it's not, it's just different technology for different people.
An earthbender cannot use airbender tools and technology, you have a very limited idea of what technology means.
Where did it state that air benders wanted to live as technologically devoid as possible. This is all coming from a post that stated that the airbenders didn't even have paper.
The fact that you completely abandon your argumentative points makes you a poor conversational partner.
The fact that you can't get through your argument without sperging out is frustrating, to me and you I'm sure.
>>
>>84517733
It does fuck up the lore a bit, which is broadly plot
>>
>>84517804
What is the practicality of airbending tech besides those gates that only open via wind currents( and any strong enough artillery could blow the gate down)?

Airbenders are technologically behind end of story.
>>
>>84517852
>What is the practicality of airbending tech besides those gates that only open
It's a cultural thing where only those with skill can open after becoming a master. It's a sort of test.
Obviously, any strong wind couldn't just open it because after 100 years the door wouldn't have been locked.
And if any artillery could blow down the gate, that doesn't mean it's primitive, it just means that it wasn't strong enough.

Being able to break open a locker doesn't mean that the locker is primitive.

Airbenders aren't technologically behind because you're comparing apples to footballs. A firebender wouldn't be able to use airbender technology. If Airbender tech really was primitive, anyone would be able to use it.

You're using very poor very biased definitions of things
>>
It also doesn't help that fire is both transformative in nature as well as the symbol of human evolution, earth has the most varied forms and uses, and water has multiple phases and connection to life.

Air just... Blows around.
>>
>>84516981
Even with the comet they were still fighting and up mountain battle. And they may not have had the tanks they did 100 years later. I'd love to see it in a comic or animated.
>>
>>84518264
firebenders can fly during the comet
so maybe they did something with that
>>
>>84518039
The Air retards could have had constant windpower generating electricity but they just had to be primitive monks.
>>
>>84517217
Isn't it only for that one episode where katara fights pakku?
>>
>>84517654
Apart from the mecha and season 4s jump in technology, sure it was fine.
>>
>>84518285
windpower is so inefficient that IRL it's not a completely viable thing

besides, electricity wasn't a thing when during A:TLA
>>
>>84516341
No, Gyatso was not literally his father. If you mean to say "virtually", just say that.
>>
File: (You).png (534 KB, 1156x999) Image search: [Google]
(You).png
534 KB, 1156x999
>>84517654
>>84517723
>>84517733
>>84517822
>>
>>84518397
>windpower is so inefficient that IRL
Yes jackass but the airbenders can literally cause constant tornadoes unlike us dumbass.
>>
>>84519813
You got a point there
>>
>>84519914
>>
>>84517165
The Earth Kingdom was classist
The Water Tribe was sexist
The Fire Nation was non-benderist
The Air Nomads were fucking dead
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 444x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 444x250
>>84519941
To create electricity, something that nobody knew about during the events of ATAL- beyond lightning.

Anyway, calling the air benders "primitive" is wrong as wrong can be. They're shown to be a very advanced society that has a large working knowledge of aerodynamics. Not to mention the air temples themselves are engineering marvels that no "primitive" society could create.
>>
>>84517217
The Water Chakra coresponds to sex.
The elemental Chakras in the Guru episode are all given a location (Earth=base of spine, Fire=stomach, Air=chest) except for the Water Chakra.
That's because the Water Chakra is equivalent to the Hindu-Buddhist chakra which is located in the genitals and deals with sexual matters. Guru Pathik even says the Water Chalra deals with the body's "pleasure". As such, the people of the Water Tribe are strongly sexual and defined by sex, hence why they divide their society so strongly on the grounds of sex.
>>
>>84519813
>virtually
figuratively
>>
>>84517822
>>84519914
I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking and thought Korra did both things positively in that statement I was responding to

Korra is shit and does not do plot or worldbuilding well. Basically does nothing well for that matter, characters, animation, music, nothing
>>
File: Ozai.png (72 KB, 333x250) Image search: [Google]
Ozai.png
72 KB, 333x250
>The White Lotus honestly expect us to believe that the Fire Nation, with no airpower or armor of any kind, was able to hunt down every last *flying nomad* in the world.
>They expect us to believe none of them could have possibly escaped to one of the MANY areas where the Fire Nation is not present or is not heavily concentrated.
>They expect us to believe every one of these airbenders was stupid enough to try and go back to the temples after the alleged "attacks"
>>
>>84522136
The Air Bender Genocide didn't happen
>>
>>84522136
But the Fire Nation set up traps using Air Nomad artifacts. It's all well documented.
>>
>>84517165
I thought the water tribes vice was sisterfucking?
>>
ATLA Thread: Argue about the mechanics of the world and bending itself

LOK Thread: Arguing about how terrible it was especially the ending
>>
>>84522811
>bending itself
It gets really boring, really fast when it's just a race to the bottom of who can make each bending style the most edgy and broken without understanding the setting.
I don't care if you wasn't a lightningbender who can control minds through manipulating the electricity in someone's brain cells . It's cringey as fuck and not how bending works.
>>
File: aang frank.png (902 KB, 608x1000) Image search: [Google]
aang frank.png
902 KB, 608x1000
>>84522136
>>84522191
>>84522426
AIR VEY! REMEMBER THE SIX MILLION!
>>
>>84523182
Dude... too soon.
>>
>>84521936
Either would work, but virtually is more fitting here.
>>
>>84522136
>>84522191
>>84522426
The the air nomads I think are based on the daoists of China. They live their lives very quietly and secretly. Most aren't sure what they're all about, but the people think they do. In times of confluct, the silently fade away. They even practice baguazhang, the mist daoist martial art that exists. They aren't truly gone, but you'll never see them. M
I'm sure plenty were killed, but most of the air benders lived. It's stupid that they didn't crop back up in Korra, missed opportunity.
>>
>>84518264

Gyatzo was a fucking beast then.
>>
>>84525981
I heard some interesting theory about him basically voiding the chamber he was in of all air, essentially robbing the firebenders of their efficacy and killing everyone in the room (himself included) via the lack of oxygen.
>>
>>84517723
>The reason why the worldbuilding works so well is because it is firmly rooted in actual asian history, culture, spirituality, etc

>implying any of the worldbuilding was rooted in asian history and not a superficial Byrke tier understanding at best
>>
>>84523632
>daoists of China.
Pretty sure the AN were based on Tibetan Buddhists
>>
>>84529725
I can see why you would think that, they appear more daoist to me for some reasin
>>
>>84517326
That's what was good about Sokka being misogynist. It absolutely made sense for him to think that men were superior to women based on his life experiences. The men were off fighting, he did all the hunting, and the women just sat around not doing much. It's not hard to see why he might think them pathetic or incapable.
He wasn't just sexist because he was close-minded, because he's anything but, he was sexist because that's how the world around him was working.
>>
File: 1330661795664.jpg (83 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1330661795664.jpg
83 KB, 500x500
>>84517284
>There is nothing wrong with being nationalistic or imperialistic either.
No, everything is wrong about that
>>
>>84528797
They did get some aspects which are under-represented, like lion-turtles (although the implementation of that in the actual plot was something else). All of the text was in Chinese characters, which was nice (IIRC not really modern day Mandarin grammar, more archaic vernacular).

They didn't opt to adapt aspects of traditional Chinese canon into the "ancient past" however, although they did pull a little from Tibetan culture. They did an alright job, but by no means was it comprehensive.

Also if they were going by East Asian elements, there wouldn't just be four.
>>
>>84528364
Either that or he flooded the room with oxygen and made the firebenders burn themselves to death.
>>
File: 63e.jpg (499 KB, 700x1000) Image search: [Google]
63e.jpg
499 KB, 700x1000
>>84521417
>Water is the sex chakra
>And thus, water is the sex element.
I can agree with this
>>
>>84521971
you korra haters just cant help yourselves can you
>>
File: korra tonraq.jpg (33 KB, 416x594) Image search: [Google]
korra tonraq.jpg
33 KB, 416x594
>Water Tribers are literally the human embodiment of sex
It seems so obvious now
>>
>>84516919
Gyatso still was the primary educator and guide for Aang. Especially since Aang was the avatar.
>>
>>84517412
Just because a group doesn't want to go down the path of self destruction doesn't necessarily mean they were primitive.

They were a reflection of real life monks/amish. They lived simple and within their means.
>>
>>84532791
Right, but that's not the same as literally being his Father or adoptive Father.
>>
>>84532825
So we're arguing semantics now?
Literally was a poor word choice on that anon's part.
Gyatso was still the closest thing Aang could even call family up until that point (seeing his corpse).
Making >>84515852
stupid as fuck.
>>
>>84532840

>>84515852 was always stupid as fuck
There have been people in the past who genuinely mistake Gyatso for Aang's real, literal Dad, so I was originally correcting that. Then a bunch of Anons have been trying to justify what was wrong information, and I get what >>84516341 was saying, but it's still wrong.
>>
If Gyatso was Aang's Dad then how come he wasn't the Avatar?
Checkmate Airtheirsts
>>
>>84515513
were none of the Airbenders bitches?
>>
>>84517165
>So each of the nations had their own flaw:
>And the air nation was all pedophiles, like... ancient greece?
Since when was that a flaw?
>>
>>84530881
Only if you're in the other country.
>>
File: 1380634868508.png (272 KB, 280x413) Image search: [Google]
1380634868508.png
272 KB, 280x413
>>84517334
>They were as advanced as they needed to be, there wasn't any real cause for advancing
And that is how you wind up with Abbo's.
>>
>>84515513
>person interacts with another person.
>they're fucking
I think you've been spending too much time with the shipper hambeasts anon.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.