[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Disney think the vault is a good idea.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: disneyvault1.jpg (35 KB, 400x334) Image search: [Google]
disneyvault1.jpg
35 KB, 400x334
Why does Disney think the vault is a good idea.
>>
I dunno. Why is there a new edition of Star Wars every 18 months?
>>
Artificial scarcity?
>>
>>84509684
Because it lets the novelty regenerate. Physical media is sold through feelies, not usefulness.

>oh gee whiz now my kids can watch this classic on an actual disk and not a pirated .mkv on my laptop
>>
>>84509684
Actually that was a very common practice of most films back in the day but that was due to tech limitations. The Vault system was not an original idea for them.
Disney keeps it up because they are so popular that keeping this practice going creates:
a sense of limitations and rarity
an illusion of value and urgency to buy the product
a detour for any of the films to hit bargain bin prices
>>
Why does McDonald's think the McRib is a good idea?
Why does the jewelry market pretend diamonds are worth a shit?

Artificial rarity/ scarcity is powerful
>>
>>84509836
THE MCRIB IS BACK?
>>
>>84509684
Before the advent of disks, the costs of manufacture for VHS and other physical media was much higher, this gave Disney a way to spin why every one of their movies wasn't available constantly.

The other reason is artificial scarcity: that is to say, they make the product seem rarer than it actually is so make people want it more so more people buy copies while they're in stores.

As for why they don't get rid of it? It cuts down on production costs, and increases revenue.
>>
>>84509873
Aren't we all slaves?
>>
>>84509930
Test drive the new Lincoln Continental.
>>
>>84509684
Because it reminds everyone who is in charge.
>>
>>84509873
I always want this exclamation to be followed by a breaking news bulletin, like a natural disaster.
>MICRIB IS BACK - THOUSANDS OF CASUALTIES REPORTED ACROSS EASTERN SEABOARD
>>
File: McD_Austria_McRibster.jpg (182 KB, 515x503) Image search: [Google]
McD_Austria_McRibster.jpg
182 KB, 515x503
>>84509873
>you will never eat Austria's deep-fried McRib with bacon and cheese
>>
>>84509873
I want to take a mcrib...and slip a kfc double down inside it.
>>
>>84509836
The fact that the McRib is on rotational availability is the only reason it's on the menu at all. The things suck. I had one once, and the only reason I can ever see myself eating one again is to maybe see if I'd gotten a bad one. Other than that, the I will never willingly buy one of the damn things.
>>
>>84510297
We got a madman over here!
>>
I suppose a better question is why do people fall for it.

They pretty much advertised that they were creating artificial scarcity
>>
>>84509944
>baaaaahhhhh
>>
>>84510469
MOMS GONNA FREAK!
>>
Nintendo does the same with retail releases

This is why their games keep their prices (even used) for years
>>
>>84509873
Now that you bring it up I could go for two for five
>>
Well, Beauty and the Beast is getting a Blu-Ray Re-released this fall. The last time it got a Blu-Ray releases was six years ago.
>>
>>84510148
>AND THE WORLD ASKS- WHERE IS SUPERMAN?
>>
>>84510773

Is there any popular disney movie that isnt on blu ray yet?

I was telling myself that maybe they were still releasing shit like peter pan on blu ray for the first time but i guess its really been way too long for that.
>>
>>84510840
I just hope they rerelease Fantasia on Blu Ray with Deems Taylor's original audio restored, or Saludos Amigos, Make Mine Music, and Melody Time Uncut on Blu-Ray. And by uncut, I mean the smoking scenes resorted on Melody Time and Saludos Amigos, and "The Martins and the "Martins and the Coys" segment restored on Make Mine Music.
>>
>>84510297
You must be stopped.
>>
>>84511038
I wish fantasia 2000 haden't failed.

Why did it fail the first one has well understood reasons for failure was the second one just people having shit taste.
>>
>>84512052
Probably because it was made for IMAX, which was still fairly uncommon at the time. By the time it was released to normal theaters, it was already four months old.
>>
>>84510395
Said everyone that ate a Mcrib ever.
>>
>>84511038
The Deems audio being replaced is because in restoring the film to its roadshow presentation, the audio for the intermission section was in shit shape, so they just decided to redub with Corey Burton for consistency
>>
File: image.jpg (90 KB, 275x523) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90 KB, 275x523
>>84510778
eating a McRib obviously
>>
>>84509908
The Disney Vault was introduced back before home video existed and was used to promote theatrical rereleases of their movies since attending those was the only way you could watch those movies. Back then, that concept made sense.

>>84510565
Do people fall for it? I figure nowadays, most people would either pirate the movie or look up a cheap vhs copy.

>>84510631
This only applies to Mario and Pokemon games from my experience. Amazon had just discounted Star Fox Zero to $35 last week.

>>84510840
>Is there any popular disney movie that isnt on blu ray yet?
Goofy Movie
>>
>>84509930
yep people try to sell you their product so now you cant do anything on your own :( i watched a hot pockets commercial last night man i miss freedom
>>
>>84510773
What's even different about the "25th Anniversary Edition"? or is it just the same movie but on Bluray with a new label.

Also I'm not sure if Black Cauldron is on Bluray, not sure why it would be desu
>>
>>84509684
Back in the day I could understand, but these days such practices are ridiculous since if people can't buy something, they'll just pirate it.
>>
>>84510840
The Song of the South.
>>
>>84509684
Like diamond manufacturers, if they limit the sales of specific movies, later when they re-release them the value will have gone up
>>
>>84509684
I always thought this just promoted piracy, even in the 90's.
>>
>>84510773
They ran out of metaphors for the type of edition already?

The DVD sets were gold edition, then the special extra deleted scenes ones were platinum edition then the first Blu Rays were Diamond edition....now nothing?
>>
>>84509684
It makes money, of course.
>>
>>84512052
>Why did it fail the first one has well understood reasons for failure was the second one just people having shit taste.

Like peopl in 2000 are bigger fans of classical music than they were in the 40's?

Are we going to expect people 60 years from now to somehow be more interested in music from centuries ago?
>>
>>84512251
Speak for yourself.
>>
>>84509684
The boy has escaped!
>>
>>84517372
Why does Disney even need to try to actively make money anymore? They own Marvel and Star Wars in addition to everything under the Disney name. Do you realize how much power that is? They make more money per second than you'll ever see in your entire lifetime, cumulatively. They're not really a corporation so much as a deity. The closest thing to the God-Emperor of Man in real life is Disney.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.