[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where does the cartoon stigma against dodgeball come from?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
Where does the cartoon stigma against dodgeball come from?
>>
An entire generation of nerds that were traumatized by gym class dodgeball grew up and started making cartoons
>>
>>84495927
I found it quite fun.
What a bunch of fags.
>>
>>84495927
I can't speak for everyone, but I'm the biggest weakling on the planet, and dodgeball was literally the only "sport" I enjoyed in PE.
>>
File: more time.png (324 KB, 601x510) Image search: [Google]
more time.png
324 KB, 601x510
I was in the gifted class, so I never went to gym. Is it mostly calisthenics or do they make people climb ropes and shit?
>>
I was kinda on the side of hating it. My arm strength was so pathetic that any attempt to throw the ball would just get caught unless I threw it with all my strength which would be aimless and likely hit someones head. I was also bad at catching thanks to only having one working eye. Got decent at dodging, but you can only do that for so long, and as much as leaping out of the way of a ball can get you an applause, the team doesn't appreciate it when I can't retaliate at all.
>>
>>84496010
Depends on the teacher, honestly.

We did a lot of running (cooper test, beep test, etc) as well as indoor team sports like basketball. There was shit like climbing ropes and doing handstands as well, but thankfully those didn't come up very often because I sucked at both.

Also dodgeball is fucking fun. I don't get why cartoons act like it's some sort of universally feared death battle. Sure those balls could sting if you got hit with them real hard, but it's not like they were hard enough to bruise or anything and most kids weren't retarded enough to deliberately try to hurt anyone because it would just make them a target.
>>
File: 1452919253128.jpg (155 KB, 700x714) Image search: [Google]
1452919253128.jpg
155 KB, 700x714
>that one gym coach who made you play bombardment instead of dodgeball
>>
Most cartoon creators are huge nerds/losers that were bullied at some point in their life.
>>
>>84495927
I only played it once in High School. It was fun. Wish i could do it again
>>
>>84495903
I never got it either, I was the fat kid in school and I fucking loved dodgeball, it was simple, it was fun, I didn't have learn 70 different rules to play right all I need was to pick up a ball and have some fun.
>>
>>84495903
Kids today use nerf balls or some kind of lightweight foam. Back in the day we used rubber playground balls. That shit stung.
>>
>>84495903
We had a version of dodgeball where the balls were much lighter and had a cloth skin that could be gripped to throw them better. The jail was at the backs of both sides and you had to throw a ball to someone in jail to get them out (or something).
Everyone fucking loved it but they slowly started adding more rules like no head shots until they just got rid of it all together.
Shit was so fun.
>>
>>84496010
Mine was literally only running.
>>
>>84496660
I was a huge nerd/loser who was bullied as well, but I still enjoyed dodgeball.
>>
>>84496010
When I got to high school, everyone was obsessed with getting the kids fit, so it was just rigorous running and exercises that don't work.
>>
>>84495971
Dodgeball in the old days was different. It was basically pick someone out, have them stand against a wall and try to dodge while everyone else is against them with no way to fight back.
>>
>>84497057
>things that never happened
>>
>>84497118
And it was always on penis inspection day
>>
>This thread
I miss gradeschool now...
>>
I loved the fuck out of dodge ball. There were times where I would chance it and catch the ball to counterattack.
>>
>>84495971
>I found it quite fun.
Oh, well it's a good thing you're the ambassador of all human life or we'd have to acknowledge other views.
>>
I was always the most unpopular kid in school back when I went to public, and Phys Ed was my favorite class.
>>
>>84495903
The unpopular kids got pegged with the ball as hard as possible and became animators. Dodgeball used to be played with rubber balls that left welts, not these soft foam ones gyms have now.
>>
File: 1365003344519.jpg (25 KB, 300x354) Image search: [Google]
1365003344519.jpg
25 KB, 300x354
Back in gradeschool, dodgeball was what the Phys. Ed teacher assigned when he felt like not working that day so he could drink whiskey or smoke a doobie in the office and let the tougher students do his work for the period.

It was a cruel game for me at least. I'm pretty tall, so I was an easy target. We had those old red dodgeballs that were over-inflated to capacity and hit you like a watermelon. Kids were fucking assholes back then, always trying to aim for your face. THEY ALWAYS AIMED FOR THE FACE.

At the start of every game, I was the first one out. They still threw balls at me when I was at the "out" area. In the goddamn face.

I was really close to shooting up that school. I had free-reign access to a lot of my dad's guns.
>>
Our school had a variation called Medic Ball. Everyone was split into two teams and they went off and choose one person to be the Medic. The game played like normal dodge ball except when you got hit you sat down. The Medic could run over and tag you back in. If the Medic got hit then everyone that went down stood off to the side. The only way to bring your entire team back was to make a basket. From half court. With the other team throwing at you
>>
>>84497894
Confirmed for pussy. Dodgeball was a fun game that kids bonded over, especially when they were out.
>>84497930
Sounds intense.
>>
>>84496418
Best part was aiming for their heads
>>
>>84496010
Oldfag here. I had Jr. High and High School during the Reagan years and there was a BIG push for physical fitness with children then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb_q9B3NpOY

I shit you not, I had to do 20 pullups, 40 pushups and 60 situps in one minute, each. I also had to run the mile in 6 minutes or less, and there was this shitty skin pull test to determine body fat. Girls had no problems (usually) knocking out the situps due to a difference in bone / muscle structure and having an advantage over boys for it, but they had issues with pushups and got to use their knees to brace with. Boys weren't allowed to do that shit - it was our palms and toes only on the ground.
25% of our PE grade was made up of those tests in 1984 (California) so kids wouldn't fail the class if they fucked up on the tests, but kids with parents putting heavy presure on them to get straight A's weren't fatties.
>>
In school, we played a dodgeball like game called Jailbreak. If you got hit, you had to go to the other side of the gym and stand in the basketball court. If you caught a ball, you could go back to your team. If someone threw a big ball at the basketball goal, every eliminated person could go back to their team. Good stuff
>>
>>84496833
I always wished we had those. The shitty styrofoam ones were way too difficult to throw with any sort of force.

Also the best time was once or twice when they let us play kickball in the gymnastics room for some reason. So the entire floor was bouncy and people in the back were on balancing beams and trampolines and shit.
>>
>>84497974
>dodgeball a fun game kids bonded over
The bullies, maybe. It was just a fun period for them to basically beat the shit out of someone by throwing rubber balls at them as hard as they can for an hour.
One day we used basketballs. When it's 8 people against one throwing basket balls at you, you aren't a fucking pussy for getting beaten, go fuck yourself
>>
>>84498190
>20 pullups, 40 pushups and 60 situps in one minute
For an adult looking to get in shape I could understand, but that's a bit much for kids. All you're going to do is make them sore and get nothing done. What a shit routine.
>>
>>84498327
Stop making shit up, fag. I played dodgeball for years with the rubber four square balls and never saw one real injury or even a bruise. Sure it stung at first when you got hit in the face, but after a minute the kid would jump back in for more fun. We had lines of kids waiting to get in the games.
>>
dodgeball is retardular
for one thing you can't aim the damn things easily
for another thing they goddamn hurt when they hit, but you HAVE to throw them hard enough to hurt or else they can be caught, at which point you're out
now, the balance between getting closer to the opponent so you can aim well, but getting further so you're harder to hit? that's clever. but in practice what happened was i was always the last one on my team not out yet, because i stayed at the back and played a support role, handing people balls so they could keep their eye on the game.
i also usually held a ball in my hand so i could deflect other balls, as that's the only legal move you can do besides catching and getting hit.
so i'd be there obliged to help my teammates get back in by throwing all teh way across to them.. but i can't. not reliably.
>>
>>84496600
>That time your school banned dodgeball, P.E. and recess
>>
>>84496870
>>84498233
We had a thing where people in the jail could grab balls and throw them at the people still in.

It was absolutely terrible because if it was down to a 1v1 it ends up being ~10 people standing behind you that can throw balls at you but they're out so the only thing you can do is prevent any balls from reaching them.
>>
According to my dad back in the day dodgeballs used to be thicker and smaller so theyd hurt like a bitch if you hit someone hard.
>>
>>84498552
Next level difficulty, only winning move is to lose.
>>
Don't they use rubber-core foam dodgeballs at a lot of schools now?
>>
>>84498331
Again, it was the Reagan era with the war on drugs and the war on kids' cereals chock full of sugar. For what it's worth, getting an A wasn't too rough for my friends and I because the BMX bike craze was in full swing then, and those fucking bikes worked your ass hard to get anywhere long distance.

As for Dodgeball being brutal, yes, I grew up when the balls were made of a red tone rubber with an odd tiny 3 stripe emblem pattern all over the thing, and they were built solid. Kids were hit full on in the temple and knocked out cold occasionally. Felt fucking great if you were the big kid throwing it as hard as you could like a shot put.
>>
File: ptsd.jpg (119 KB, 673x865) Image search: [Google]
ptsd.jpg
119 KB, 673x865
One time I got hit right in the face then immediately got hit in the dick while I was rubbing my nose
>>
One time in dodgeball an older kid aimed at my face, I dodged, and it broke the fire glass behind me.
>>
>>84498978
american schools dont play dodgeball because its terrorisms
>>
>>84495927
Idk why everyone here likes to shit on nerds so fucking much when those same 'nerds' made the cartoons that you fucking watched growing up.

Anyway, dodgeball was pretty fun. We played a variation where there was a bowling pin we had to protect, with softer balls. Shit was fun as fuck and got pretty epic since we always had EVERYONE playing, so it was something like 40 kids playing at once. Good times.
>>
File: 1468002961257.png (276 KB, 800x797) Image search: [Google]
1468002961257.png
276 KB, 800x797
>>84495903

>be 31
>as a child we played dodgeball often in PE and shit
>not a single fucking kid complained about this shit
>everyone was having a blast

The thing is we didn't play it nearly as much as say, soccer and basketball, but it was still something we played during PE and recess.

Maybe it was traumatic for kids a generation before mine.
>>
>>84496010
We had multiple different variations of gym in high school. Normal gym wasn't that different from gym in middle school; basically you had to change and if you didn't you got an 'F' for starters. But aside from that (which was true for all gym classes), basically the gym teacher picked whatever activity we were gonna do for the day and then you either participated or you fucked off and did whatever and they wouldn't care so long as you were dressed. Sometimes there WERE mandatory activities, like running a lap or two though.

In high school, we had different variations. There was a mandatory health class whose name I forgot that everyone had to take iirc, where you sat down in a classroom first, had to do tests about physical fitness, and whatnot. Then they took you outside for activities which were all about cardio.

And aside from that, we also had at least weightlifting and swimming. I ended up taking weightlifting in my senior year. Looking back, I really should've taken it all four years of HS since I really enjoyed it and actually managed to improve my body and health from lifting. And I never did really maintain it; I really want to go back and start lifting again.

Honestly gym was either really fun or kinda boring/shitty depending on whether or not you had it with people you knew or you didn't. Or if the gym teacher(s) let you actually do fun shit like dodgeball and whatnot. Though it was always popular with dudebros and whatnot, so there was always that element to it that I didn't care for.
>>
>no unconventional PE class where you play games like capture the flag, tag, and dodgeball
nope, the next 3 months is nothing but running in circles and volleyball
>>
>>84499610
>We played a variation where there was a bowling pin we had to protect, with softer balls.
That sounds like Bombardment, which I think was the same variant I played in grade school.
>>
DUDE TRADITIONAL MASCULINITY LMAO
>>
because cartoonists are pussies who use their medium to FIGHT BACK against the guys who used to pick on them.
>>
I hated high-school gym. But that was because my Freshman year was at one school, where I got the required PE credit, but that didn't carry over to the school I finished high school at, for some reason.
And I wasn't TOLD this until I was a Junior, so second semester I was in gym with almost all Freshmen, and I found it embarrassing. Also cuss I was the tubby guy who only wore sweatpants because I was embarrassed by gym-shorts for I can't remember why.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.