[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why 'Scott Pilgrim' Creator Bryan Lee O'Malley's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/why-scott-pilgrim-creator-bryan-lee-o-malley-s-future-n608821

> "I've sometimes joked that 'Scott Pilgrim' is my fantasy of being a cute white indie rock boy (which, as an ostracized mixed-race weirdo, was something I occasionally wished for when I was younger). I guess I whitewashed myself out of my own story, and I got what I deserved."

> After that, he said, "Every character I write from now on, every protagonist in all my books is going to be mixed."

>Enter Lottie Person, the star of O'Malley's new comic, "Snotgirl," whose first issue is scheduled to publish July 20 from Image Comics. The monthly series, a collaboration with artist Leslie Hung, is in full color, making race more obvious than it was in "Scott Pilgrim."

I'm a hapa too. O'Malley's new comic is going to be Snotgirl, about a mixed race fashion blogger.

You can kind of tell now from this interview, all the whitewashing and "white girl wins while Asian girl loses" that was done in Scott Pilgrim with Knives and Ramona. Its interesting hearing this from O'Malley that he thought the movie was way too whitewashed, and he wants to focus on mixed race issues in new comics.
>>
As long as he's not obnoxious about it, it gives a chance for a colorful cast with different designs and such. I just don't want to read whinning about race.
>>
>>84495248

hapa resentment and rage strikes again

Don't marry an asian boys, unless you want your kids to be miserable
>>
So what you're saying is he wants money and to do that he's going to pander?
>>
>>84495421
No, why's it so difficult to understand that a comic book artist would want to draw a main character that is of the same race and has similar life experience to him?

If I was a comic book artist, I'd want to draw a character of the same race as I am. There's no way I could accurately portray black or Hispanic life in America in a comic.

if anything, Scott Pilgrim was the comic that was a cash cow and pandering , while Snotgirl will probably be more personal and not make the money and fame that Scott Pilgrim did.
>>
>normie
>>
What mix is he?
I'm a halfbreed myself but I don't think I'd go as far as to inject such a trivial part of myself into all of my protagonists FOREVER just because a comic set in Canada was too "whitewashed"

>>84495567
>There's no way I could accurately portray black or Hispanic life in America in a comic.
That's kind of shallow in and of itself because it goes to imply that racial stereotypes are crucial to writing a character. Also if you WERE a comic book artist it'd be in your best interest to expand your perspective for the better of your work anyway.
>>
>>84495421
If that were the case he'd do more Scott Pilgrim.
>>
>all the whitewashing and "white girl wins while Asian girl loses" that was done in Scott Pilgrim with Knives and Ramona

holy shit the whole point of knives was that she was never really in love with scott in the first place

she was a teenager that didn't know better, she got hurt, she got over it, she grew up a little - that's her arc

people who wanted her and scott to end together don't understand her character at all
>>
>>84495699
>That's kind of shallow in and of itself because it goes to imply that racial stereotypes are crucial to writing a character.
No one said anything about racial stereotypes. Why are you equating differences in experiences that people of certain races undergo with stereotyping?
>>
>>84495699
>be mixed race canadian
>make yourself white in a comic
>not whitewashing

Making Scott white was less representative of reality than having him be mixed.
>>
>>84495421
Yep. If a comic isn't about pureblooded white men it is pandering.
>>
>>84495567
Because he went to the media and put it out for everyone to hear.
>>
File: the_boondocks_1600_x_900_px[1].jpg (184 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
the_boondocks_1600_x_900_px[1].jpg
184 KB, 1600x900
>>84495699
>That's kind of shallow in and of itself because it goes to imply that racial stereotypes are crucial to writing a character.

Its not harmful racial stereotypes, its life experiences. And racial life experience ARE crucial to writing a character accurately, especially in a slice of life style comic (not so much superhero comics.)

Would I be able to accurately depict the life experiences of a black kid living in Harlem? Probably not, since I've never experienced any of his life experiences and I've never set foot in Harlem.

There's no way I'd be able to write "The Boondocks," because I'm a hapa in suburbia in California. The Boondocks isn't completely about racial stereotypes, its about the life experiences of 2 black kids and their Granddad. If I tried to write something like the Boondocks, it would just come across as terrible and fake.
>>
Write what you know they say right?
>>
>>84495933
While I'm not for diversity for the sake of diversity, is there anything wrong with writing about a middle class black family?
>>
why is sanae in a comic
>>
File: familymatters_0[1].jpg (47 KB, 640x430) Image search: [Google]
familymatters_0[1].jpg
47 KB, 640x430
>>84495990
No there's nothing wrong about that, there are plenty of shows about middle class blacks like Family Matters. Fresh Prince is about an upper class black family.

Blacks seem better represented in sitcoms than comics and cartoons. I guess black humor just works better in a sitcom format.
>>
>>84495990
I'm sure some SJW could come up with a whole essay on why it's wrong and effects power structures, and empowers the Patriarchy.

In reality though, no there is nothing wrong with writing anything you want at all, and that sounds perfectly fine to release to the world.
>>
>>84495248
She doesn't look mixed race.
>>
>>84495248
....But who cares?

It would've been better to make a thread about the new project and THEN talk about the mixed race protagonist.
>>
More pretentious hipster bullshit.
>>
you're too eager to make judgements about this sort of thing

there's the actual racemixed people who have to suffer through the sins that their parents committed

you're only viewing this as obnoxious, because you've grown accustomed to the pandering and harmful shilling for racemixing, from evil people
>>
>>84495248
Movie when?
>>
The so called white washed film it's original ending was Knives and Scott ending up together only reason it changed was the final volume came out
>>
>>84495248
He's just an insecure Eurasian faggot like Kalergi-Coudenhouve riding the "If I can't be fully white then no one should be" train
>>
>>84495248
>lottie person

BECAUSE SHE'S A LOT OF PERSON! GET IT?
>>
>>84496264
This guy has complained in the past about white people dominating media in a country that is 80% white

He's quite clearly salty as fuck that he looks less white than Eliot "the supreme gentleman" and Tommy Chong and completely insecure about it

If Canada had a strong nationalist policy he would never complain because he'd have Canadian as his identity first and foremost, he's unhappy because multiculturalism leaves him feeling stranded between different cultures
>>
>>84495764
>be british woman
>make yourself into a boy in a book
>not manwashing

Oh wait maybe just maybe people can write about things which they haven't personally experienced
>>
>>84496055
This snotgirl looks white as fuck, like most pasty models

The co creator is also hapa I think, an Asian gal

Also wasn't seconds' main character drawn more mixed? I didn't vibe with it so only read like 5 pages
>>
File: 1466017491431.jpg (65 KB, 469x513) Image search: [Google]
1466017491431.jpg
65 KB, 469x513
>>84495248
>I guess I whitewashed myself out of my own story, and I got what I deserved

Ok, no problem with anything else that he said but....what he meant by this? You got fame and a movie?
>>
>>84495933
Despite efforts to remove them, there are black people in suburbia too.

When you get down to it the real social divide is class and that's never been an issue for writers. I mean shit do you think anyone that's written Bruce Wayne has Bruce Wayne's money?
>>
<cool I'll pick it up
>>
>>84496631
Yeah. He got success and people know his name. Truly this is the darkest timeline.
>>
File: ci7scozwcaajqki.jpg (52 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
ci7scozwcaajqki.jpg
52 KB, 600x600
How is this anything but white
>>
>>84496688
>despite efforts to remove them

I'm going to find you and steal your time machine, 50s man
>>
>>84495699
>I'm a halfbreed myself but I don't think I'd go as far as to inject such a trivial part of myself into all of my protagonists FOREVER just because a comic set in Canada was too "whitewashed"

I get the impretion that he was just beta when he was young and fantasied and self inserted on Scott, being white and all. He is kind of overcoming his confidence and low self steem issues, but decided to overcompensate it by making every MC mixed now.

Particulary I don't see much of a problem, but I find it a limit that I wouldn't like for myself.

You americans have a serious issue of "huuuuuurr only a member of a race or book can writte about it", no other country care, writters SHOULD BE able to tell multiple views - Bryan Lee was actually GREAT at it.

Pic not related.
>>
>>84495248
>muh brown people

Fucking leaf
>>
File: wayne-manor[1].jpg (99 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
wayne-manor[1].jpg
99 KB, 640x360
>>84496688
>I mean shit do you think anyone that's written Bruce Wayne has Bruce Wayne's money?

That's why I said that superhero comics aren't as necessary for the author to have similar life experiences to the main character that slice of life and sitcom comics do. Superhero comics are about superpowers and superheroes, not the life experiences of everyday people. Batman is about Batman, no one would want to read it if it were about Bruce Wayne doing rich guy stuff for the entirety of its run.

And we don't even know if Bruce Wayne's lifestyle and life experiences are accurate either. There are probably rich white guys who've read and watched Batman and thought to themselves, "THAT is how they depict my lifestyle? I live nothing like that. I don't live in a mansion, I don't have a stuffy butler. Bruce Wayne's life experiences are nothing like my life experiences."
>>
>>84496688
>I mean shit do you think anyone that's written Bruce Wayne has Bruce Wayne's money?
Bruce Wayne isn't meant to be a realistic reflection of rich people anyway though his money is just written like a superpower to let him do whatever however.
>>
>>84496724
>>84496631
Shit or maybe the guy feels like he sold out a little by doing that, if you ask me not enough writers have the shame necessary to experience that emotion.
>>
File: skittles.jpg (72 KB, 479x400) Image search: [Google]
skittles.jpg
72 KB, 479x400
>>84495248
> that op preview
> fucking normies REEEEEEE
> no real friends
> snot

I've never wanted something so bad. It's perfect. Why can't it be next week already.
>>
TBF Wallace Wells looked kinda Asian and Wallace Wells was easily the best damn character in that whole damn thing.
>>
File: 1467698647594.jpg (95 KB, 563x598) Image search: [Google]
1467698647594.jpg
95 KB, 563x598
>>84496771
I think that she is suppused to be part asian, like the creator. Depending on the style it would be hard to get it, even more with a greentext hair into a hairdo like that. Maybe she looks more asian without make up, and it is intentional. It would kind of make sense with what he is saying.
>>
>>84496688
Oh, and if I tried to write Boondocks, there's no way I could come up with some of the black suburb culture stuff that Aaron McGruder experienced while growing up.

There's no way I'd be able to make characters like Tom Dubois, Uncle Ruckus, and Granddad. I've never met anyone like them in real life growing up around mostly whites and Mexicans.
>>
>>84496892
The whole "You sold out" mentality, especially as it applies to race is really complicated. Especially in cases when selling out can include things like "goes to college".

Really people that complain about sellouts are just salty no one wants to buy THEM.
>>
>>84496796
Gentrification isn't just for the ghetto anymore.
>>
>>84496771
she honest to god look more asian then white

you are probably so used to think any cartoon character not drawn black is white.
>>
>>84496998
I'm not that anon but I don't see it either. She just looks like New 52 Black Canary to me.

It's because the art style is relatively simple. The more simple you get the more universal the features are.
>>
>>84496949
>I've never met anyone like them in real life growing up around mostly whites and Mexicans.

You can reasearch, read and whatch things before writting them.

Its kind of the minimal, its not the same as living there, but still plenty of great characters were written by people with different backgrounds and cultures as them. You just need to CARE.

I mean, if an asian guy can make an identifiable story about a white character, why not the opposite?
>>
>>84495933
maybe you aren't good enough to write a character from another race or culture because that's the only good answer i have to give you.

it's not that hard.
>>
The creator of scott pilgrim being a hapa makes the whole comic infinitely more hilarious in retrospect.
>>
Leslie Hung draws such great pictures of pretty girls kissing
>>
>>84496688
>Despite efforts to remove them, there are black people in suburbia too.
See, I'm not black, so I wouldn't even know there were still "efforts to remove them" and I'd have no idea what that'd look like.

There's a reason why the most important writing advice is "Write what you know". You can research and it will enrich your writing, absolutely, but it's always the personal things that will shine through the most.
>>
>>84496998
>she honest to god look more asian then white
Nigga, that's a fucking white girl. Are we looking at the same thing?
>>
>>84496980
So you're saying black people can't actually afford to live in the houses they're living in when white people move in, and this is the fault of white people?

Yeah fuck off.
>>
>>84497049
could probably have to do something like that but both in the ops picture, for example, I think she looks more Asian only based on her light olive skin and her eyes.

idk maybe I'm just used to Tumblr artist way of differentiating race
>>
>>84497152
>See, I'm not black, so I wouldn't even know there were still "efforts to remove them" and I'd have no idea what that'd look like.
There's an episode of King of the Hill that spells it out fairly well. South Park covered the topic last season as well.
>>
>>84497167
Not that anon but I definitely see the Asian in those drawings. You sound like the kind of person who couldn't believe Mei from Overwatch is Chinese.
>>
>>84496798
O'Malley is fucking Canadian and is obsessing over race you dumb mexican
>>
>>84497167
yeah sorry I'm slightly biased because i saw op photo with light olive skin flat nose and slightly tilted eyes.
>>
>>84497185
>South Park covered the topic last season as well.
How? The only black character I know from it is the richest person in town.
>>
>>84497190
yeah so i'm not alone dope. I thought I was actually alone with that opinion.
>>
>>84497098
It would be pointless and a lot easier for him to write about Californian suburb instead of an Illinois suburb
>>
>>84497192
Oh sorry, a better way would be you north americans.
>>
>>84497231
By having Kenny be the stand in..
Gentrification isn't a purely race issue. It's a class issue that gets expressed racially because of statistics and shit.
>>
>>84497231
I'm pretty sure that episode with Token bringing rich people to town who all happened to be black was also about gentrification

Also he's talking about how a bunch of middle class people built some neighborhood around Kenny's house because poor people like Kenny are somehow "culture"

In any case white liberals complaining about white liberals moving to black neighborhoods for "culture" is the dumbest fucking thing ever
>>
>>84496835
>There are probably rich white guys who've read and watched Batman and thought to themselves, "THAT is how they depict my lifestyle? I live nothing like that. I don't live in a mansion, I don't have a stuffy butler. Bruce Wayne's life experiences are nothing like my life experiences."

I can guarantee you that no person has ever thought someone was trying to accurately represent their life via batman.
>>
File: IMG_20160708_144902.jpg (480 KB, 1024x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160708_144902.jpg
480 KB, 1024x1280
>>84496102
This. Bryan could tell me the next MC is a mulatto and I still would bang her (as long as she is pic related)
>>
>>84497264
Except this shit exists in Britain and Asstralia and Sweden you autistic Brazilian
>>
File: 1468508792796.png (137 KB, 401x406) Image search: [Google]
1468508792796.png
137 KB, 401x406
>>84497258
>pointless

Why pointless?

>easier
Writting well isn't easy too.

Saying that every person can only writte about his life and characters that look, lived on and had the same experiences as them is ridiculous. Its patethic, and I would even say that it would contribute to a less diverse literally world.

Frankstein is good and wasn't written by a scientist or tortured monster, but by a almost teenage girl.
>>
File: Enrico_Pucci.png (767 KB, 475x657) Image search: [Google]
Enrico_Pucci.png
767 KB, 475x657
Why can't western creators do anything that involves someone of a different race correctly? AKA make it obvious they are pandering
>>
File: 1467319151597.jpg (58 KB, 438x238) Image search: [Google]
1467319151597.jpg
58 KB, 438x238
>>84497329
You are just making me happy that this bulshit doesn't exist on Brazil tho.
>>
>>84497346
I agree anon, the OP for this thread is fucking retarded. I really hate this small mindedness.
>>
File: 1462490407481.jpg (206 KB, 725x1280) Image search: [Google]
1462490407481.jpg
206 KB, 725x1280
>>84495248

Considering whites will be extinct in a few years this will be the only viable manner to operate soon. We honestly ought to go back now and start colouring classic comic books too.
>>
>>84497369
Araki is just gay for fashion, music, and men.
>>
>>84496949
I made a thread on how you could make the boondocks for white people:

>>84497381

It wouldn't be too difficult to change a couple characters, races, and still keep the theme of a critical look at race relations.
>>
>>84496771
>eyelid
>not black pupils
how the fuck is that supposed to be asian?
>>
>>84497346
It's about writing experiences from a place you actually know you retard

Why would he want to expend the effort writing accurately about black people when he can write about mexican-asian-white people in a california suburb?
>>
>>84496771
Also the hair style here looks too thicc and wavy to be Asian to me, unless snotgirl is half Jewish I suppose
>>
>>84495248
But what about the white-haired girl he's been drawing?
>>
>>84495248
>"mixed" race
>looks white
AHA HA HA HA HA HA
>>
>>84497469
because the whole point of fiction is it can be whatever it wants
>>
>>84496458
>Oh wait maybe just maybe people can write about things which they haven't personally experienced
As long as they aren't writing about non white people...COS THEN ITS JUST PANDERING TO SJWS.
>>
File: 1468422183688.jpg (1 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
1468422183688.jpg
1 MB, 1988x3056
>>84497469
>Why would he want to expend the effort writing accurately about black people when he can write about mexican-asian-white people in a california suburb?

Because you can WANT to writte about anything other than your own group?

Myazaki is great at writting young girls and mothers but never was one. Some people can you know...writte something that isn't only about THEM, this is a matter much more about empathy and be able to learn and apreciatte new experiences instead of relying on your own background all the time.
>>
>>84495248
>I whitewashed myself out of my own story, and I got what I deserved

...a massively successful indie comic franchise?
>>
>>84497626
>As long as they aren't writing about non white people

Nice strawman. This board apreciatte minorityes characters for years of they are well written.
>>
>>84497646
Success came at a loss of self respect
>>
>>84497685
Yeah. So long as they were written back when they were a kid and pandering didn't exist.
>>
>>84497723
Last time I checked people loved the announment of Genndy writting Power Man.
>>
>>84495248
Her eyes look kind of East Asian. but there's clearly anime influence in this art style and we all know they draw people to look white even if they're not.
>>
>>84495248
>"Every character I write from now on, every protagonist in all my books is going to be mixed."

Why? He's not writing himself into his comics. He's creating new, original characters. Why would he limit his options like this?
>>
>>84496771
Look at her hair.
She is mixed with seaweeds.
>>
>>84497826
Yeah a writer they have nostalgia about writing a character they have nostgia about.
>>
Wait a minute, did he self-insert as Scott ? I love SP but Scott is a self centered cunt who doesn't give two shit about his friends, dates a high school to boost his ego and lives in denial regarding his own faults and previous romances. I mean the only thing he really got for him is having the chance to bang several chicks over the years, and that's not even supposed to be an achievement.
>>
File: 1468124477192.jpg (60 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1468124477192.jpg
60 KB, 600x600
>>84495248
>"Every character I write from now on, every protagonist in all my books is going to be mixed."

What happened to diversity?
>>
>>84498208
It's obviously self deprecating and made comedic but the character is based on himself, and he did most of the things Scott did, like play in a band with a lead guitar player using an acoustic electric or whatever, and he was roommates with a gay dude
>>
>>84498208
Oh and also...He broke up with his IRL Ramona

:_;
>>
>>84498092
Yeah, a competent writter, writting a character that /co/ likes. Oh my who could guess that /co/ liked it!

Lmao, /co/ even liked the new run of Black Panther.

You are right, /co/ should like bad characters writting by horrible writters, or they are racist!
>>
>>84498247
Soon we will all be one big mixed race :^)
>>
>>84498294
Serves him right.
>>
>>84495248
>NBCNews

WTF, did no one die today? Was nobody lured into a robbery via Pokemon Go? Did a politician not say something asinine?

how is this news, Is Comcast-Universal still trying to move the mountains of unsold SPVTW DVDs, did they already buy up the film rights to everything O'Malley shits out?
>>
>>84495248
From the preview there, this looks like one of those obnoxious "my life isn't absolutely perfect, drop everything and pity meeeeeheeeheee... ;_;" sort of characters that I hate so much.
>>
>>84498320
Missed the point, but sure...yeah
>>
>>84496771
She looks Korean, to me.
>>
That's cool I guess? I mean, the reasoning behind representation can be argued as being dumb, but it does work. Don't know why he would meed to point it out.
>>
File: 1467264402799.jpg (21 KB, 235x313) Image search: [Google]
1467264402799.jpg
21 KB, 235x313
>>84497374
Oh it does anon, unfortunately.
>>
>>84495248
See. I get this and don't at the same time. I've always created characters first and had THEM tell me their race. I don't want to create a character starting from the race upwards because that feels disingenuous. As a minority all I get is pressure from others that all my characters should be brown or how GREAT it is that I draw black girls with natural hair.
I do that stuff because I like it. Not for representation, not to prove a point, not to prove something to myself and not because I feel they're under utilized (which I do feel sometimes). It gives me a disconnect with the character because then I look at them as part of a social stance and less as a legitimate character creation. It cheapens them, imo.
>>
>>84495248
>Its interesting hearing this from O'Malley that he thought the movie was way too whitewashed
Who was whitewashed in the movie?
>>
>>84495248
>Snotgirl, about a mixed race fashion blogger.
Never have a series of words come together to make a sales pitch that was so immediately trashworthy. There is literally no word here that I like.
>>
>>84500132
Not even "about" or "a"?
>>
>>84500123
Maybe not racially, but I'd say writing-wise scott was whitewashed.
Y'know, into just being Micheal Cera in a coat/video game shirt.
>>
>>84500132
This guy gets it, sounds like the most uninteresting concept I've heard in a while
>>
>>84499904
I study in a extremelly leftists College, so I know that there is some. But it is very few next to gringos.

EUA has this weird as shit of separating everything by race.
>>
>>84495248
>whitewashing
Please learn what this fucking word means.
>>
File: ghost-in-the-shell[1].jpg (52 KB, 1240x930) Image search: [Google]
ghost-in-the-shell[1].jpg
52 KB, 1240x930
>>84501595
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitewashing_in_film

Its casting characters who were originally of other races and making them white for the audience.

O'Malley wanted Scott Pilgrim to represent himself, but instead of making Scott a hapa, he chose to make him white in order to appeal to a wider audience. He's saying that he won't do that in his upcoming comic.

The upcoming movie "Ghost in the Shell" is whitewashing the Japanese character Major Kusanagi by casting Scarlett Johansson as that character.
>>
>>84502483
Please
Please stop reminding me this exists

This and the deathnote Netflix series, what the fuck
Did we arrive in the 80's and 90's again where America was making their own versions of Japanese anime or something.
>>
>>84495990
No, but you're still gonna turn out differently from white kids in suburbia, because other people are, for better or for worse, going to see you differently, even if they aren't trying to.
>>
Mixed girls are literally the best
>>
Bryan O'Malley? More like he draws hot chicks.
>>
File: really pretty.jpg (210 KB, 750x928) Image search: [Google]
really pretty.jpg
210 KB, 750x928
>>84503220
Blonde is better but you're welcome to your opinion
>>
>>84502483
Major Kusanagi is a robot. Scarlett Johansson is just a more Caucasian shell than normal.
>>
It doesn't matter what your skin color is, how chubby or skinny you are, whether your hair is long or short, or any other variable.

What matters is whether or not you're hot and can give good head.
>>
>>84495567
Because instead of doing it, he's telling everyone he's doing it
>>
File: uglyshepard 1.jpg (159 KB, 731x735) Image search: [Google]
uglyshepard 1.jpg
159 KB, 731x735
>>84495248

>Snotgirl
>fashion blogger.

I already dont like it.
>>
Probably is less about who he actually writes and more about why he did it, that self hatred stuff isn't good.

>>84504972
Some mixed girls are blonde, I knew one that was only like 1/4 white and 3/4 black who was naturally blonde (you could tell because her new growth was blonde). Genetics are just weird man.
>>
File: Time for some hood shit.png (181 KB, 489x336) Image search: [Google]
Time for some hood shit.png
181 KB, 489x336
>>84505007
What if she gives head like a retarded woodpecker but the pussy game ridiculous?
>>
>>84505004
While I don't really give a damn about them casting a white woman as Kusanagi, I don't really like Johansson for it.
Then again, I'm not sure who I would cast.
>>
>>84495567
Then there'd be no reason to go out and say anything. The only reason you'd advertise this is if you are pandering
>>
>>84505169
That is forgivable, though it then becomes your duty to help her practice her technique.
>>
>>84505197
the only reason to even publish comics is pandering though, otherwise you'd just draw in private
>>
>>84495248
>The main character is half-japanese half-swedish
This is literally some anime-tier bullshit where they make the protagonist half Japanese due to their xenophobia. O'Malley is such a poor son of a bitch with his psych issues
>>
>>84495248
well, done defending this guy.
what's sad is he doesnt realize is that rather than being pressured to whitewash himself, he's not being pressured to brown everything else up
>>
>>84495567
>No, why's it so difficult to understand that a comic book artist would want to draw a main character that is of the same race and has similar life experience to him?
That's reasonable
When every single one going forward is that's a sign of severe mental instability.
>>
>>84495248
>Snotgirl, about a mixed race fashion blogger.

The guy is talking about race mix and white washing while also making a comic about the most pointless shit, I can already see the whole cast and their first world problems

''She was wearing the same dress as me and got more likes!!!''
>>
>>84505283

Ha. No, to make money.

A comic creator doesn't care about 'pandering', they want your money.

Pandering may make them money, but they'd print fifty pages that just have FUCK YOU printed on them 100 times each if it would make money.
>>
>>84495933
>Would I be able to accurately depict the life experiences of a black kid living in Harlem? Probably not, since I've never experienced any of his life experiences and I've never set foot in Harlem.
>There's no way I'd be able to write "The Boondocks," because I'm a hapa in suburbia in California.
There's no way you could write The Boondocks because you're a dumb motherfucker that's too wrapped up in his own bullshit to remember they're from Chicago, not Harlem. Maybe if you weren't such a pussy bitch whiny fuck you could look at things from other people's perspectives in order to be a good fucking writer instead of crying "boo hoo, poor pitiful hapa me! Wipe my tears for me, daddy!"
>>
>>84505531
I think that actually happens in the preview.
>>
>>84505544
that's what I said, they publish to pander to people who will buy things
>>
>>84495248
I want to be mad at the retarded textspeak but they did have the good sense to give a key to it.

I can't forgive that normie shit though.
>>
>>84505496
>brown everything else up.
Snotgirl's not very brown at all.
>>
>>84495933
There's more to a characters expirences then racial stuff that is most likely auctualy to do with class.
>>
>>84496908
I know right? I didn't know I would want something called ''Snotgirl'' so badly.
>>
>>84496835
A person's everyday expirences are usualy not racial in nature.
>>
>>84496892
He might think he sold out but it's a stupid example of selling out to be bothered by.
>>
>>84497098
Hell look at tintin after tintin in Africa the guy put a huge amount of effort into his cultural research and it all came out great.
>>
>>84505545
Not that anon, but I think you're focusing on the wrong part of that sentence. I think they just said "Harlem" as an extreme form of a black experience he is not accustomed. But beyond that, you can always assimilate someone else's experiences and try to apply them to your writing, but if it's not something you've experienced first hand, your characters will indeed not be written as well as someone speaking from personal experience. I understand the gist of being a mexican, but I'd have to suplement my work with quite a bit more research to write such a character, especially if their culture is important to them, and in the end of the day I can only write from the perspective of a voyeuristic observer because these are not things that affect me first hand, nor are they things that affect me very much at all.
>>
>>84495567
SCOTT PILLGAY
>>
>>84496771
She is regular white girl cept for the hair
>You will never be friend with a qt with snot problems
>>
>>84505496
Also he's biracial anyway so doesn't that make him white and asian? He's forcing himself into a mode where he's half-n-half instead of both, since bi means two not one half and one half.
>>
>>84505826
>you can always assimilate someone else's experiences and try to apply them to your writing, but if it's not something you've experienced first hand, your characters will indeed not be written as well as someone speaking from personal experience.
You'd be surprised what good writers can do with a bit of research
>>
>>84505935
I'm not saying they can't get accurate, especially if you're a good writer. I'm saying writing from your own experiences tends to give you a much better internal perspective. Hell, a person could be a bad writer and be awful at writing their own race
>>
Why do people feel the need to explain choices like this?
>>
>>84505197

>Why advertise anything unique about your book
>Why explain your unique experience as an author while you advertise your work
>Why say what influenced your creation of these characters

Just...shut the fuck up anon, you retard
>>
>>84506210
That's a good point. I'd never even call attention to it if he just...DID it. But now that he's drawn so much attention to it I will always think about it when I look at his art.
>>
>>84495248
not gonna read all the hate and autism and sjw boogieman in this thread, came in to check OP picture and fucking love it already
HYPE
Y
P
E
>>
>>84506679
>hype

You fucking hipster faggot
>>
>>84506564
>yo dudes diversity is all the rage right now and GUESS WHAT I'm racially diverse myself and so are my characters
>plz buy
>>
>>84507371
You're using meme arrows, but how does that not make sense?
Diversity IS a huge topic right now, he IS mixed-race, and making his characters also mixed is what he sees as his contribution to diversity, and also please buy.

It's not ridiculous
>>
>>84505195
Emily Blunt, like every other role ScarJo got.
>>
>>84495320
Same.
>>
File: 1393859300504.png (370 KB, 623x527) Image search: [Google]
1393859300504.png
370 KB, 623x527
>>84495248
>I'm going to cripple the creative potential of my own works out of a combination of misguided ethnic nationalism and racism

Well he writes the same shitty story over and over again, nothing value is lost.
>>
>>84495248
I don't know how to feel about that pic

I am interested but also annoyed

is this out yet so I can find out
>>
File: 1380432327993.jpg (189 KB, 1715x1038) Image search: [Google]
1380432327993.jpg
189 KB, 1715x1038
>Japan makes series with cast full of mixed race character
>isn't obnoxious about it
>the west makes a series with mixed race character
>LOOK I'M MAKING CHARACTERS WITH MIXED PEOPLE
>>
>>84508030
The people who care about this are hopelessly out of touch
>>
>>84497329
Due to American influence
>>
>>84496458
Harry Potter himself is a rip off of the MC frp, Books of Magic
>>
File: 1402192465955.jpg (7 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
1402192465955.jpg
7 KB, 259x194
every hapa i've meet have been pretty depressed or just off people including myself
is he really gonna explore issues of race, identity, and feelings of belong to a group in this comic or is he just trying to get brownie points?
and making the main character "mixed" for complete aesthetic reasons, despite she not looking mixed, while still mentioning that she's mixed
>>
>>84507540
>plz buy

Fuck off Bryan, I'm going to pirate your hipster faggotry
>>
>>84502483
But the Major is quite literally just a brain that can take on any form she desires
>>
>>84505935
From your perspective, sure. A good writer may be able to put up a good fake, enough to maybe fool someone who has a similar background as themselves, or someone else who isn't from that background. From the people who actually live through that, however, it would be more likely that they could tell it was fake and coming from someone who did a little research and thought they could accurately depict what life would be like for those people.
It's like historians crafting a narrative from the evidence available. Yeah, it may make sense from our modern perspective, but if you bring someone in from that time period, they'd probably laugh at the production.
That's not to say you shouldn't try, but there are limits because people have ingrained biases, experiences, and ideals that were borne from the environment surrounding their upbringing.
>>
>>84501491
It's called 'white guilt'. Combine that with a cultural melting pot and centuries of grudges building between cultures you get what we have now.
>>
>>84497642
That's a pain in the ass and therefore stupid
>>
>>84496476
No but her Indian best friend was Indian

Not a chug, but a curry
>>
>>84508286
Why are there no doujins of her getting into a futa body?
>>
>>84495248
If you're half Asian does that mean your dick is only slightly smaller than average?
>>
>>84500132

Yeah she could be half Venusian and I wouldn't care.
>>
File: 1468303857983.gif (2 MB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
1468303857983.gif
2 MB, 448x252
You could make the characters fuzzy fucking aliens from pluto, and this concept would still be the most banal fucking thing ever put to print.

Seriously, with the amount of effort it takes to make a visual narrative, why do so many artists choose to make such utterly boring and mundane non stories that would probably do better as a fucking soap opera than a god damn comic book? Why would I fucking read this when I have my own friends to bantz with and worry about stupid petty drama bullshit with-

Oh, I get it.
This is just something people with no real friends or life experience use as a supplement for the real thing.
>>
File: 1439099199495.png (135 KB, 349x323) Image search: [Google]
1439099199495.png
135 KB, 349x323
>>84508571
it means you look like a 15 year old white kid forever
>>
>>84508290
This is such bullshit. Newsflash, every individual person's experience is different. I have a friend who, like me, is Dominican raised in America. We've known each other since grade school, go to the same Uni with the same major, have a lot of the same opinions and influences, and are sometimes so in synch we have conversations just by looking at each other. But if you ask me, and then ask him, what the town we live in is like, you're going to get two different answers. The reason a reader will look at a character and go "That's not what my life was like! That's not what my city is like!" may be because the writer isn't of that race or background, but more likely it's because you can't encompass every single person's experience based off of their origins. Hell, readers are more likely to notice plot inconsistencies before inaccuracies in specific experiences, because why would anyone question another person's personal experience?

Another anon put it well earlier in this thread. You don't make a character based on their race/gender/origins first. You make the character, and everything else follows naturally. If you have to do research, do research, and as long as you're competent, it won't set off anyone's "this isn't what life is really like" radar.
>>
>>84508777
Tommy Chong doesn't look that young
>>
>>84508253
Don't stop there, storytime it for everyone else so nobody has to buy it!
>>
File: laughing cry.jpg (28 KB, 390x310) Image search: [Google]
laughing cry.jpg
28 KB, 390x310
>>84495248
But his most famous protagonist will always be a WHITE MALE

AHAHAHAHAHAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!
>>
The eternal Hapa butthurt strikes again
>>
>>84495248
So long as he's doing it for himself, and not for others, then I'm cool with it. But Oni will probably be pleased because muh narrative.
>>
>>84497642
Gwenpool is written nothing like a teenaged girl though.
>>
>>84495248
>>84496908
How the hell can anyone read the preview? The text is way too fucking small. I'm straining my eyes like mad, but it's no use.
>>
>>84498715

no you're just strawmanning saying /co/ hates every diverse character when the fact of the matter is that /co/ hates badly written characters whose only personality traits are "I'm black!/gay!" and already established characters are moved aside to give spotlight to these shitty new characters,
>>
>>84505040
He doesn't want to follow the DC Marketing Strategy.
>>
File: IJQ.png (74 KB, 592x464) Image search: [Google]
IJQ.png
74 KB, 592x464
>>84495248
for your consideration
>>
>>84495248
>the movie was too white washed

How? There are less than a dozen non-white characters in the books. All the film did was cut out Monique and knive's dad and reduce the roles of Tamara and the twins
>>
>>84495742
Because knives was best girls and a lot of people self insert as Scott because Wallace and Steven stills were gay as fuck and young Neil was a tool
>>
>>84511395
Ian is based as fuck. I bet we're going to find out he identifies as a feminist.
>>
Why are there so many half chinks on /co/?
>>
>>84496102
Because no one has ever or will ever care about an o'malley comic other than Scott pilgrim
>>
File: noelle.png (41 KB, 599x773) Image search: [Google]
noelle.png
41 KB, 599x773
>>84511451
well in that tweet was in response to feminist author of lumberjanes noelle stevenson's tweets criticising the SU crew and especially sugar for having a female creator make a male character

women can care about males characters
blacks can care about white characters
if omalley cared so much about identifying with his protag why make her a woman
>>
>>84496688
If black people moved into your neighborhood anon that means it is time to move to a better area
>>
>>84511519
Statistically speaking, she has a point, so I can't be too mad at her. However, I think she's saying all this because of her ideology, and not because of a rational analysis of our world.
>>
>>84497123
The whole story is basically about his mom or sister wanting a white guys cock

>inb4 Anna Kendrick was his sister and that is why he dropped her character like half way though the books
>>
>>84497292
Gentrification is a good thing
>>
>>84497396
I can't wait for white people to die out. Then the whole world will turn into one of my post apocalypse movies where no one in the world has any food or tech and everyone lives like animals because there are no white people to save them
>>
>>84508030
It's more astounding that Araki was able to make a successful franchise without going the unspoken half-japanese rule until Part 3 and then that he successfully reverted to non-japanese for part 7
>>
File: 4644.jpg (70 KB, 248x252) Image search: [Google]
4644.jpg
70 KB, 248x252
>>84495248
>>84496771
>make a big fucking deal about race blah blah blah
>you can't even fucking tell
>>
>>84511519
Way to completely miss the point of the saying, Noelle.
>>
I'm glad this is all about race. Good to see we've moved on as a society.
>>
>>84498208
Scott fucked some pretty hot chicks. And kim, who was fat.

I'm pretty sure the book mentions somewhere that Kim isn't as pretty as envy, Lisa, and ramona. And that Kim is fat
>>
ITT: This is why space aliens don't visit guys.
>>
>>84498270
He pretended to fuck Emily Haines.

I've met her, she is kinda stand offish like envy
>>
>tfw part slav but not considered visible minority
>>
File: THANKS OBAMA.jpg (107 KB, 800x630) Image search: [Google]
THANKS OBAMA.jpg
107 KB, 800x630
>>84511731
>>
File: 1402411625850.gif (498 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1402411625850.gif
498 KB, 500x500
>>84495248
>mid twenties fashion blogger existential crisis
>not with text messages and memes xD
That looks like some vapid trite garbage I won't be reading. Thanks for the warning.
>>
>>84511859
Race relations were a million times better when Bush was president. But I guess that's what happens when you go out of your way to say white people are evil, cops deserve to be shot, and comment on every case where a black guy was shot in self defense
>>
>>84497190
Oh shut the fuck up, you're projecting race onto a drawing.

It's simplistix enough to not have any distinctive features, and he missed details like epicanthal folds.
>But muh olive skin
Someone never met a mediterranean person before.
>>
>>84511920
And we all know it's going to be the same cookie cutter O'Malley plot of the MC messing everything up for themselves until they eventually end up on a blank slate ending that's up in the air
>>
>>84502483
>>84502483
Please inform yourself before spouting this shit.

Plus no lefty complains about blackwashing dedpite their desperate attempts to have +50% blacks in everything (and the fact that blacks are only a minor fraction of the population in the west)
>>
File: 1462841316912.jpg (22 KB, 258x242) Image search: [Google]
1462841316912.jpg
22 KB, 258x242
>be a minority artist
>feel a need to give my race some representation in my comics
>but also really want more robot characters
>focus on the latter

Not sure how to feel about that, myself
>>
>>84512115
that seems fine, robots are cool and it doesn't seem like you're hating yourself
>>
>>84512123
If it helps, nothing is really set in stone and I can easily change the race of any character I haven't yet shown people (so basically any of em)
>>
>>84512115
No one cares as long as the story is good.

Don't do robot racism, PLEASE.
>>
>>84512163
It's unavoidable
Robots aren't even a threat yet and people are already whining about them stealing jobs and not working like they should even though they do more work than them.
>>
>>84512115
if your race is such a big deal to you, you can make the robots allusions to what its like to be of your race
all in all, you're probably doing it already, people artists with baggage tend to express that in their work without even doing it on purpose
>>
>>84512228
That wouldn't help anything, robots aren't a "race," they're more akin to a species. If I wrote every robot the same, it'd be exhausting on myself and the reader.
There's a balancing act going on there though where at what point am I writing robots as opposed to human characters labeled as robots, you know?
>>
>not writing a young adult novel about a kid living in a utopia because they killed off all the non-whites and replaced them with robots
>>
>>84495421

Literal yawn.
>>
>>84505197

>b-but he's a famous author advertising his future comic to his fans via social media

Either you're a time traveler or a defensive and offended white guy.
>>
File: 1445366824046.jpg (112 KB, 710x800) Image search: [Google]
1445366824046.jpg
112 KB, 710x800
>>84508765
>don't read stories that appeal to you, just go get some friends nerd :^)
>>
>>84495248
I mean like, okay fine. but I was a story teller Id never go "IM ONLY DOING THIS NOW" cause it limits creativity.
>>
>implying being more diverse for the sake of diversity has made more money
Only on /co/ would people defend stupid shit like this
>>
>>84512336
sounds like you're not creative enough
>>
White = bad
Color = good
>>
File: free form jazz.png (283 KB, 387x456) Image search: [Google]
free form jazz.png
283 KB, 387x456
>>84495248
>Why 'Scott Pilgrim' Creator Bryan Lee O'Malley's Future Protagonists Will Be Mixed Race

Because he's a hack who hasn't made anything successful or been any relevant in decades.
>>
I don't actually care about O'Malley after the disappointment that was Scott Pilgrim 6. Though I'm buying Snotgirl for Leslie Hung's art.
>>
>>84497329
I know. It's sad to see the developed world succumbing to such decay.
>>
File: 1444148587680.gif (3 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1444148587680.gif
3 MB, 320x240
>>84514965
Even if you don't count Seconds, Scott Pilgrim 6 was released in 2010, bro.
>>
>>84511953
No they weren't really. People just didn't pay as much attention. It's less things have changed and more...people pay attention.
>>
>>84514025
>made more money
Sometimes people make decisions for political or societal reasons and not strictly because they want to make more or less money.
>>
>>84515140
Was Seconds worth reading? I might torrent it.

(What's the best site for downloading comics?)
>>
>>84511448
but Wallace and Steven are the best characters to self insert as.

if you know what I mean
>>
>>84515268
It's okay. The mc is a huge cunt, but I guess that goes for all of O'Malley's protagonists.
>>
>>84517476
Seconds is weird because I don't like the MC, but they kinda HAVE to be the way they are or else the story doesn't work. Like if she was a reasonable person who made good decisions, there'd be no plot and it'd just be boring.
>>
>>84514880
Perhaps, but I'm looking at ways to turn certain robot cliches on their head. I don't want to use then outright but I'm not going to avoid them, because without them, they might as well not be robots.
>>
>>84495248
It's actually kind of weird to see this even happen, not that it didn't always in various narrative fields anyway. But this is exactly how this kind of thing should work, not a bunch of white guys trying and failing to write well developed minority characters, but just more minority writers being comfortable writing themselves into their stories without some fear of the unmarketability of their non-whiteness crippling their product.
>>
>>84505525
good thing you never made it anywhere in medical school, huh?
>>
>>84512515
The only way to get it to sell would be to write some gay propaganda about some race of blue eyed people who fly to planet Dongles or something to segregate themselves from the rest of humanity, then some nigger astronaut from earth crash lands and some kid has to help hide them and they discover their society has had enforced isolation and propaganda and their technology is shit without diversity and whatever
>>
>>84515154
No, there are blacks actively calling for a race war and /pol/-type thinking is becoming influential among whites because everyone is pissed off at everyone else

This didn't happen under Bush
>>
File: tumblr_muwcrqvcU91rjy91wo1_500.png (60 KB, 375x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_muwcrqvcU91rjy91wo1_500.png
60 KB, 375x750
>>84517660
At least her best friend was qt
>>
>>84518300
And the first thing MC does is destroy her arms.
>>
>>84495567

that sounds masturbatory lad.

i don't have much interest in stories like that because it's going to be a self-insert to at least some extent
>>
>>84518444
Every story is a LITTLE self-insert. You've literally only been yourself. You're going to subcounsciously give some of your quirks, opinions and demeanor to your character. So it actually helps when you make a cognitive decision on HOW MUCH a character is like you so that you can draw a limit but still have that character feel real.
>>
>>84511682
That's the point. There's a decent chance this is all just part of the marketing. People were giving O'Malley shit like this for years, and he always says he'll change it and then they shut up for awhile and he changes nothing. It seems to work too.
>>
>>84518376
How does that work?
>>
>>84511788
Really that's ashame I like her music.
>>
>>84518705
Authors write what they know, sure. But that's when experiencing new things comes into play. You can write a book with a protagonist based on someone you met, who is completely unlike you.

Past experiences will determine how well you can tell the story. Not how much you self insert.
>>
>>84522089
>But that's when experiencing new things comes into play.
That's the thing with people like O'Malley though, they're not going to experience new things willingly. They slog through life and let the shit roll over them and downhill into their books.
>>
>>84495933
>And racial life experience ARE crucial to writing a character accurately, especially in a slice of life style comic (not so much superhero comics.)
Then O'Malley can't write realistic white characters, given that he's not white. Has anybody felt that the whiteness of Scott Pilgrim characters felt fake?
>>
>>84511725
Good lord is she dumb.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.