[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Smallville. Good or Bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4
File: 72218-29.jpg (68 KB, 440x640) Image search: [Google]
72218-29.jpg
68 KB, 440x640
I've been thinking of watching smallville for quite some time now but I am fearful due to the scar that Man of Steel left on my frontal lobe. Is it good? Is it bad?
>>
File: lois-in-cape.jpg (765 KB, 1416x2030) Image search: [Google]
lois-in-cape.jpg
765 KB, 1416x2030
>>84486175
just watch picrelated instead
>>
smallville is kinda like twilight - lots of teens talking about relationships and very little action, even with a monster of the week
>>
So the show isn't an look at how clark was raised/grew up and how he became the man (kryptonian) he is today?
>>
>>84486175
Starts out great, gets mediocre, turns unwatchable
>>
>>84486175
It has a charming if teen-drama-esque three years in the beginning, a few a weird "Not sure where I'm going with this; keep throwing things at the wall" middle years, and a generally good but DC-centric final three years.

It is... interesting. At the very least, it's worth watching for Lex and his father. Plus, Kristin Kreuk and Alison Mack looked damn good throughout its run.

And to get you started, here's a fun little game. Take a shot every time someone is conveniently knocked out before they can learn about Clark's powers. You won't make it through the first season.
>>
>>84486368
I honestly think it's the other way around.

Lana is the worst. When she leaves, it gets so much better.
>>
/r/ing that webcomic of Smallville series inale
>>
There's alot of cheesy but fun moments. If you can handle that type of stuff then it's enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xq0T3N0Lr8
>>
>>84486175
good and bad. comfy overall, I will always remember with a smile on my face. Red Kryptonite episode best kryptonite episode.
>>
>>84486368
no: starts out great, gets mediocre, turns great again.
>>
>>84486365
Yeah but it's also a teen drama.
>>
>>84487082
Just like flash
>>
>>84486175
It's cheesy as fuck but endearing because of it. It's also a time capsule of the early 2000s.
>>
>>84486175
Try it out, see if you like it. It's different than today's shows (reminds me of Buffy more than Flash in its early seasons), but it has a lot of heart, and some god-tier casting choices (the Luthors and the Kents are basically flawless).

Season 4 is really bad, 5-7 they had no idea what they were doing but there were some good episodes, 8 is a shaky retool, and 9 and 10 are live action JLU (with a tiny budget, so don't expect a lot of powers).
>>
File: 6.jpg (53 KB, 355x400) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
53 KB, 355x400
Smallville is terrible. The fact that anyone watched it or thinks it's any good is proof that some of these characters have their roots into peoples brains so deeply that it defies all logic and sense.

Flash and Arrow, at their best, are nothing like it; at their worst, they are EXACTLY like it
>>
>>84487303
Flash and Arrow, at their best, are EXACTLY like it's mediocre episodes.
At their worst, they're worse than the worst episodes.

They never quite reach the best.
>>
>>84487279
Casting really was fucking phenomenal. Getting the Dukes of Hazard dude for Clarks dad was pretty fire.

Rosenbaum was a phenomenal Lex. Lionel was a weird character but his actor generally sold it better than anyone on the show. Jett Jackson playing cyborg was cool when it happened.
>>
>>84486774
Anybody?
>>
it's pretty bad, aged very poorly
>>
>>84487999

>being such a faggot that you'd let your distaste of a particular interpretation of Superman turn you away from trying new things

goddamn, you are the problem with /co/
>>
>>84488173
this was meant to go to OP
>>84486175
>84486175
>>
The last seasons are fantastic, you get Legion of Superheroes and JSA
>>
>>84488198
In the minority here...but that kind of stuff was the weaker bits of those seasons.

The real highlight is the Lois and Clark stuff finally getting into the groove.
>>
I grew up and learned English watch Smallville, so my view is biased, but I loved the show.
It's basically a reverse bell curve: Starts strong, cancer in the middle, back to okay in the end.
Considering that it ran for 10 years as a comic book based show, that's pretty impressive.
DCW owe its existence to Smallville

The comics was pretty okay before getting canned too.

It also gave us one of the gayest superhero webms. You know which one I'm talking about
>>
>>84486774

>>84487996

Somebody....
>>
>>84486175

Protip: watch both Smallville and Adventures of Lois and Clark

Smallville is my favourite show of all time and considering it has some great seasons and fucking terrible seasons, I'd always recommend it

>comfy as fuck
>great villain of the week episodes
>clark is whiney but likable
>pretty nice handling of new material while using stuff from the comics now and then
>kents are goat-tier
>lex-lionel relationship is goat-tier
>clark-lex relationship is goat-tier

the last three points are probably the most important things about the show. the luthors and kents just make this show so goddamn worthwile. the contrast between a loving family and a family built on outdated morals and ideals is stunning

Plus, Lana and Lois are hot as FUCK
>>
>>84487421

I like both Arrow and Flash but both shows will never have the rewatchability factor that Smallville has. Smallville is far too comfy for that

Gotta consider that Arrow has been in a downwards spiral ever since the third season.

I'd say Gotham is the only superhero related show that could possibly make people watch it a second and third time (although no superheroes even being in the damn show)
>>
>>84486175
I remember my parents loving this show and they were the kind who HATED anything even remotely supernatural, fantasy or scifi in movies and shows. They can't even stand stuff like Batman, but they remained blissfully unaware to the very end that Smallville was about Superman.
>>
It gave off a serious X-Files vibe with all the cool shit teasing in early seasons
>>
>>84489355
I think it's that Gotham, and yes Smallville despite the jokes (shit how many Color Kryptonite episodes did they have), are legitimate camp.
Gotham moreso, but it's not until a few subplots in the middle that Smallville loses that in place.
>>
>>84489868
Smallville shat the bed in the later seasons when they tried to make arc villains. Doomsday, Zod, they were all lackluster.
Hopefully Gotham learns from this. It seems they already have though with dropping the mob war and using Strange
>>
>>84489996
That's really true.
I did a "hey I remember liking that one" marathon of Smallville last year and it became really apparent that there would be a slog of episodes dedicated to the seasonal threat.

That's why I think that season 10's "filler" episodes were some of the best of those last few seasons. Just pure one and dones.
>>
Fuccing horrible. Honest opinion
>>
>>84486774
Do you want just the final issue or are you looking for the entire series?
>>
>>84486175
Seasons 1-3 are campy fun, 4 onward is a down-hill tumble.
>>
>>84490040
I haven't watched Smallville in a long time after Ultraman subs became available, but I should rewatch it if only for the nostalgia
The show was strongest at the episodic format. They were able to get some hot babes.

Wasn't Amy Adams on it at one point? She played some nut who tried to eat Pete at some point?
>>
>>84490139
Season 1 Amy Adams.
Also the show is totally worth a rewatch. Or at least Seasons 1-4 & 8-10 are.
>>
>>84490185
>Season 8-9
You're not gonna get me with this one
>>
>>84490139
It really was.
Those really allowed the show to be about Clark and his travails as Superboy instead of being the prototype for flaws that other CW shows would later perfect into horrible foundations.

And let's not forget
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrArEi0IhE0

>>84490185
>>84490208
I say that look up a short summary and if the episode sounds interesting/fun - watch it.

If you skip season-wide...you're gonna miss a few good ones.
>>
Seasons 1-3: pretty ok
4-7: god awful
8-10: watchable and somewhat enjoyable, but still had a lot of flaws

Go watch Lois and Clark if you haven't already. It's cute and you'll probably want to jerk off on Dean Cain's arms by the end of it
>>
Don't do it. Anything redeeming about it comes far too late.
>>
>>84490116

I am looking for that webcomic ABOUT the smallville series finale wheere someone asks whether the Smallville finale was good. The punchline to that strip is It was never the point.
>>
>>84486175
Smallville was the bastard lovechild of the Silver age and Dawsons Creek.

It was gloriously insanely horrible.

It was the show we needed.
>>
>>84489355
>I'd say Gotham is the only superhero related show that could possibly make people watch it a second and third time
Have you seen Netflix Daredevil yet?
>>
>>84491156
Only she didn't become cancer and hijack the show.
When she did she hammered onto us as THE STRONGEST PERSON EVER
>>
>>84491212
Absolute Justice stank of Johns, for better or worse.
>>
>>84486175
Like someone else said, the earlier seasons are a perfect time capsules of the early 2000's. It's a nostalgic watch if you grew up in that era.

Seasons 1-4: Superboy + Buffy. Comfy high school years.
Seasons 5-7: Angsty phase. Turned into a mediocre sci-fi show. Some good episodes, though.
Seasons 8-10: Superman Begins. Starts going hard on the DC mythos. Geoff Johns wrote some episodes. Last 5 minutes of the finale makes everything worth it.
>>
>>84491240
Also, the show had the GOAT Lex, GOAT Lois, and GOAT Johnathan.
>>
>>84491192
Her constant quipping did get annoying though.
Really did.

>>84491212
>>84491237
Thank god. I understand that people appreciate that the show brought in those characters, but like the modern CW shows...it's not about "what", it's about "how" stuff is used.
Although Smallville was still mostly better there.

>>84491240
Seasons 8-10: Lois & Clark's Repeated Rom-Com
>>
>>84491253
In short, yes.
Of course the fact everyone went to the same school gets ridiculous after a while, as far as the show's premise goes it is acceptable.
At best it's like the old days of the funny books where each chapter is its own stories and you can pick and choose to copy onto your VCR. Like when people photocopied individual chapters of Doreamon.
>>
>>84491325
I still hope that Lincoln March ends up being a highlight. So much potential there.

>>84491253
Yeah.
It's the best way to translate this stuff.
>>
>>84491284
Let's not say things we can't take back, she was a very good Lois but not better than Hatcher
>>
>>84491316
I think the quip well is poisoned after all the other shows did the same.

As far as using characters, Star Girl was qt3.14 and Smallville Ollie was closer to the comics.
Mera in Smallville made me really uncomfortable as a teenager with puberty in play.
>>
>>84491377
It didn't help that they gave some of her character aspects to Chloe.
Childhood friend, secret keeper, and with the romantic tie to Pete Ross.

Now I blame Pete Ross being taken off the show for Chloe's later....aimlessness.
>>
>>84491377
This is the same problem as every other problem of the show.
SHIT DRAGS ON. You can only eat the same sandwich for so long before you vomit

If we can like, cut out the middle 2 seasons it would have been better at least.
>>
>>84491414
>It didn't help that they gave some of her character aspects to Chloe.
>Childhood friend, secret keeper, and with the romantic tie to Pete Ross.

This is the oddest choice that I will never understand. They literally split Lana into two characters with neither being as likeable as the original, why?
>>
>>84491402
Ollie was really fun.

>>84491464
Yeah, but it depends on whether they capitalize on where he can go. I'd like to see more Clayface as well.

>>84491494
They wanted to give Clark a more relatable/cliche school plot but I guess didn't want to lose her role in his social life either.
>>
>>84491176
Daredevil is great the first time you watch it, but on rewatch it's flaws become too obvious.
>>
File: 1468256345732.jpg (29 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1468256345732.jpg
29 KB, 500x375
>tfw Smallville has a better Green Arrow than Arrow
>>
>>84491602
S1 is still mostly fine. S2 is just kind of all over the place though. Even first viewing I found it hard to stay invested.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.