[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did they never catch on in the states?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 12
Why did they never catch on in the states?
>>
File: La Grande Traversée.jpg (95 KB, 500x603) Image search: [Google]
La Grande Traversée.jpg
95 KB, 500x603
>>84463519
>>
>>84463581
>>
File: Asterix+Conquers+America[1].png (4 MB, 1087x1600) Image search: [Google]
Asterix+Conquers+America[1].png
4 MB, 1087x1600
>>84463581
>>84463595
I never read that one, but the movie adaptation was probably the worst of the animated features.
>>
>>84463621
The book is better https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterix_and_the_Great_Crossing
>>
>>84463581
so?
Every nationality is getting stereotyped and no one gives a damn. Look at what they did to germans(though granted that issue was never animated) and yet germany is all over this series
>>
Because they're not that interesting. Because most of their humor derives from European history jokes which Americans have no reason to care about.
>>
>>84463519
Same with Tintin.

Too European I guess.
>>
>>84464138
???
Op asked if they did go to america, i just posted an obvious proof, this issue is about north america, they were out there completely by chance during a storm when they were fishing.

I know, this entire comic book is about stereotypes, there are nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>84463621
Asterix the Gaul is worse.
>>
>>84463519
They never had an animated series that aired on Saturday mornings. Kind of wish they did, then we might have gotten a seven wonders of the ancient world episode.
>>
File: Tintin en amérique.jpg (56 KB, 400x560) Image search: [Google]
Tintin en amérique.jpg
56 KB, 400x560
>>84464174
WHAT THE FUCK?
Tintin literally goes to Chicago in the 30's for fighting Al Capone and the Mafia.

you don't even know what you are talking about.

>>84464173
It's mostly because it's about antiquity, when america was not discovered.
>>
>>84464235
You can be a very European piece of culture and still include American events, history or ideas. If some anime is about a fast food joint, it doesn't make the whole show American.
>>
>>84464200
>Op asked if they did go to america
No he did not
He asked why this comic/show never catch on in america, catch on as in being popular
>>
>>84463519
The anglosphere is lightyears ahead in terms of humor and comedy and has been for a long time. Only with the internet the rest of the world has been FULLY exposed to the insane volume of comedy you people put out. We're catching up but it takes time.
Our comedy comics are comfy at best mostly. Exceptions are few and rely on puns and language so they can't be translated.
>>
>>84464235
Yeah but he goes to America just once. He clearly lives somewhere in Europe, probably Belgium but translators try to disguise it.
>>
>>84464285
but is berry popular in latin america, and so is astérix
>>
>>84464294
Oh this? probably because american have already comics books so they are not interested on imports and translations of foreign comics, the same things happened in europe with capeshit and most of american comics.

just an exemple, the smurfs are popular in america only because Hanna Barbera did an animated adaptation.
>>
>>84464339
Tintin lives in Brussels, nobody disguise it, also the adventures of Tintin always happens in differents foreign countries.
you wanted that was focused on north america only?
>>
>>84464349
The average Amerifat probably knows Julius Caesar through Orange Julius, Little Caesar's and Caesar's Palace.
>>
>>84463519
Its a book series ( if you dont condider it come in an anthology), traditional us comics are floppies.
Than its not sf or capes.
Since its all aged funny it doesnt caught.
>>
>>84464380
Chill dude. I'm not American and I love both series, and I'm sure there are plenty of Americans who do but it's just not as big as other stuff.
>>
Not enough explosions.
>>
>>84464235
Tintin in America is hardly the most shining advertisement to the series, it's goofy as shit.

>>84464174
I can understand Asterix being impaired by the European references, but Tintin is basically adventure+slapstick, it's very accessible. The real reason is probably that America already had a lot of these characters in movies and pulp literature, so on the surface Tintin doesn't look like anything unique.

I read somewhere that European comics sort of fill the niche of adventure stories that European movies don't really have the budget for. Americans can have the real thing in a more accessible and popular medium.
>>
>>84464380
This here. Even translated in germany its clear belgium, not mentioned often, but clear.
>>
>>84463519
Americans only like capeshit.
>>
>>84464457
Problem with tintin in america is, its an old 30s story and reworked in the 70s. So it has this old vibe with it.
>>
>>84464457
The goofyest one is the first one when he goes to Soviet Russia.
>>
File: SORA.jpg (90 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
SORA.jpg
90 KB, 500x375
>>84463519
Because Americans have shit taste
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezO_Vmqhgg
>>
>>84464572
The problem is it's "Tintin before Hergé found his marks". It's not as bad as Soviets or Congo but it doesn't have the same sense of professionalism and suspense as the latter albums.

>>84464620
>goofyest one
Congo has Tintin blowing up a rhino, making a snake eat itself, and wearing a chimp's skin as a disguise.
>>
>>84464349
>Oh this? probably because american have already comics books so they are not interested on imports and translations of foreign comics, the same things happened in europe with capeshit and most of american comics.

I present to you a guy who doesn't know shit.
>>
>>84463519
Because its just liberal propaganda to discredit the Roman Empire
Gauls, Germans and Britons are shit eating tribes
>>
>>84463519
Americans don't get the humour. It's too european for them.
>>
>>84464664
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D7N6O0NJX0
[HEAD BOBBING INTENSIFIES]
>>
>>84464690
Romefags, go home and drink some lead.
>>
>>84464761
>t. shit eating barbarian
>>
>>84464690
rome was evil though with all the slavery and killing
>>
>>84464804
Everyone and their mom practiced slavery and waged wars back then, civilizations are always rather amoral.
>>
>>84464865
but rome was the worst, humanity would have been better without them
>>
>>84463519
Because it's a book not a cartoon, and in the USA reading is for faggots and reading comics is for nerds.
>>
File: hesh280.jpg (22 KB, 280x210) Image search: [Google]
hesh280.jpg
22 KB, 280x210
Because it's in french and acquiring english variants was vastly more difficult than picking up the newest capeshit up until relatively recently?

Were you really unable to work that out on your own or do you just want a shitpost thread?
>>
>>84464690
>roman culture is copied from pedophiles
>cucked by mongholians
>jealous of obese drunk savages getting laid
you backstabbing aristocrats are going to see your own city burn one day
>>
>>84464676
Nobody there reads the American comics. They only watch the movies.
>>
>>84465050
Asterix has been widely translated and accessible in English for decades. You can pick them up in nearly every British bookshop since the late eighties at the very latest. Probably earlier but I wouldn't know.
>>
Because Asterix uses European history and antiquity as remembered from school lessons as a basis for it's jokes, as well as European stereotypes about other nations which might be unknown to anyone from even outside France.

It's honestly a surprise it catched on in the rest of Europe.
>>
File: Rome-Astérix.png (705 KB, 641x407) Image search: [Google]
Rome-Astérix.png
705 KB, 641x407
Fun fact: back in highschool in France, we used Asterix in latin classes to get idea of the architecture of Rome and how the city was planned because the writers did some huge research work for it to be as accurate as possible.
>>
As a Brazilian I think the Americans hate all things French.
>>
File: statue-of-liberty.jpg (65 KB, 965x319) Image search: [Google]
statue-of-liberty.jpg
65 KB, 965x319
>>84466185

What the fuck are you talking about? What is a burger without any fries? Sure, they're the butt of about a billion jokes, but you only tease the ones you love.
>>
>>84463519
because yanks gonna yank
usa the toilet country
>>
>>84466315
sadly I think a lot of americans arent aware of how close France and the USA used to be.
>>
>>84463519
because its French and in America the French are associated with pretension, snooty art, cowardice and even snootier food, at least by Joe Q. Bumfuck
>>
>>84464690
theres a /pol/tard in every thread. Every.Motherfucking.Thread.
Should be one of those rules of the internet
>>
>>84464620
That's only goofy because it's both overt propaganda and absolutely right about every piece of shit it flings at the commies. The fact that people still manage to get butthurt over a comic that takes a shot at an evil dictatorship baffles me, honestly.
>>
>>84463519
Why do you care? Not everything has to be popular everywhere.
>>
>>84467370
Look bro, they often say "/pol/ is satire" when it's not, but that is obviously satire.
>>
>>84467570
Found the overly defensive American.
>>
>>84467617
This
>It ain't great 'less 'Murrca sez it is
Literally one of the most obnoxious sentiments that have ever existed on Earth
>>
>>84464572
It's also weird to read a story that shifts from wild Indians living in teepees to Chicagoland gangsters. In real life there's fifty years between those things.
>>
>>84467869
But somehow I figure if Hergé had shown the Indians tying Tintin to their stack of empty liquor bottles, it would be seen as even more offensive.
>>
>>84464676
>>84465908
actually the only american comics we have in europe are walt disney comics in magazines, reprints of very popular capeshit mini-series or one-shot, and very late current capeshits. (we have that like 6 mounths after america), there are other stuff not about super heroes but there are mostly reprints and special compilations.

anyway here most people reads mangas, they don't even read their own euro comics.
>>
>>84467617
So, you want everything to be popular everywhere?
>>
>>84468015
You're projecting, Hank.
>>
>>84468005
>anyway here most people reads mangas, they don't even read their own euro comics.

Speak for yourself. The only time I've ever seen someone read manga was a fat weeb during the pause in a movie theatre. Sure, it's sold in the stores, but it seems even the Russians like manga better than the people in my country do.
>>
>>84465983
But the Brits don't matter in the Anglosphere. America is the only place where something can be profitable in English. Besides, Americans would need their own translation of the books since they wouldn't understand all the British terms and spellings they don't use. Also, America just doesn't give a shit about Europe in general.
>>
>>84468109
what are you from exactly? because here in France manga and animes dominate everything, even normies read and watch that.
>>
File: rf Obelix 4chunners are insane.jpg (33 KB, 320x403) Image search: [Google]
rf Obelix 4chunners are insane.jpg
33 KB, 320x403
>>84468047
Okay, I see you don't want to have an actual conversation.
>>
>>84468171
>something printed in the most widely spoken language in the world can only be succesful in one country

There's stupid shit, and then there's stupid shit...
>>
>>84468171
>America is the only place where something can be profitable in English.
off-topic i know but do you know most of very popular rock bands are actually British and not american?
https://www.google.fr/?gws_rd=ssl#q=british+rock+bands
>>
>>84468191
No, I don't.
>>
File: 1462732240746.png (390 KB, 623x527) Image search: [Google]
1462732240746.png
390 KB, 623x527
>>84468191
>conversation
>on 4chan
>with a namefag
>>
>>84468227
That's because music is for fags.
>>
>>84463519
European history doesn't interest Americans except for the parts about princesses.
>>
>>84468189
I'm from the Netherlands. I knew manga and animé was pretty popular in France, given how a lot of Frenchies seem to emulate the style.

Generally speaking, we're at the ass-end of the whole Franco-Belgian scene. People tend to be concerned with keeping up appearances, and manga and animé are seen as too nerdy/childish/whatever to gain any real ground here.
>>
>>84468306
And the parts where we kill Brits or Nazis.
>>
>>84468384
That's not European history from your perspective, though. That's American history.

Also, fuck those captcha's where you have to click pictures until none are left. It always takes ages, and they never work. Just fuck 'em.
>>
>>84468005
>actually the only american comics we have in europe

Companies in Germany released stuff like The Ethernauts, Give me Liberty and Marshal Law and the situation in France is apparently even better than that.
>>
>>84463621
>84463621
Obeliks finally gets a qty girlfriend, rather than the blond skank.
>>
>It's a Europeans Whine Incessantly About People Who Are Different Than Them thread.

Are your lives truly that empty?
>>
>>84463519
they are popular in my country (Argentina)
Are TinTin, Babar and Lucky Luke known in the USA? Corto Maltese?

BTW, I think Asterix would be great for a Marvel vs Capcom style game.
>>
>>84470465
Babar is because of the cartoon, and Tintin had the Spielberg movie although most Americans probably don't know that was based on a comic. The others are completely unknown except Frank Miller is a fan of Corto Maltese so some cape fans at least have heard of it even if they haven't read it.
>>
>>84470465

I know TinTin, Babar and Lucky Luke. No idea who Corto Maltese is, though.
>>
Asterix had a very good Arcade beat em up by the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uQFu7xmPS8

>>84470519
I hope it all gets translated if it hasnt already
>>
>>84470596
IDW is publishing the whole series in gigantic books now, I think they have three out so far. I bought the first one and the translation was really lifeless. Or maybe that's just how the dialogue is.
>>
>>84470596
Looks better than the sega mega drive version.
Not only was this one hard as fuck, the level design was done by someone on drugs.
>>
>>84470668

It gets a lot funnier as it progresses, although it tails off again eventually.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.