[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /co/ think of miles? I think people like the idea
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 22
File: Miles-Morales.jpg (155 KB, 786x918) Image search: [Google]
Miles-Morales.jpg
155 KB, 786x918
What does /co/ think of miles?

I think people like the idea of a black spider-man. New York is a big diverse city. It's possible.

But I don't think any of those people have actually read miles' comic because his book is fucking terrible.
>>
>>84460536
Boring character. Boring book. I can't hate him, I just feel indifference.
>>
>>84460623
ARE THE CHAMPIONS

MY FRIEND
>>
>>84460623
are the crystal gems
>>
>>84460536

Why do we get Miles threads everyday here?
>>
>>84461226
/co/ loathes to talk about the comics it actually likes
>>
>>84460536
I don't mind the existence of the character but I don't like him either. He's passable as a supporting character in the real Spider-Man books or as a member of a super team and basically any time he's not written by that wordy guy. Starts with a B. I think it was a B. (Was it a B?) .
>>
>>84461268
Because we don't read any.
>>
>>84460536
Mile's failing is that he wasn't envisioned as a character first. He was envisioned as a diversity quota.

"Black latino spiderman" became more important than giving him a good plot or personality.
>>
>>84462128
Miles was always envisioned as a character first. Bendis came up with an idea for a new character and ran with it.

Is it his fault that Marvel and the media highlighted what Bendis didn't what highlighted?
>>
>>84462331
>Miles was always envisioned as a character first.
I fucking doubt that. If that were truly the case he'd have more going for him than poverty and scummy uncles.

He'd have a more interesting dynamic and character arc, which is what I consider his major failing. Also that his new powers are bullshit.
>>
>>84460536
He's black and has a cool costume.

That's enough to get you very far in comics.
>>
Boring and shit character, 100% due to Bendis going to absolute shit 7 years ago

But why do you fucks keep spamming the same question? I honestly can't tell if you are trying to push him or destroy him.
>>
>>84462331
Literally untrue, Quesada said the idea for an ethnic spider-man came before the idea to kill off Peter Parker
>>
>>84461696
B? A letter of the alphabet? That B?
>>
Never really gave him a chance because I didn't want to go through another "Spider-Man growing up and maturing as a person and a super hero" story RIGHT AFTER a good one had just been prematurely ended. Making him even younger than Ultimate Peter always seemed retarded to me.
>>
>>84462508
Yep. The letter after A. That B.
>>
>>84462502
An ethnic Spider-man for the editorial, yes, but Bendis's idea of Miles Morales the black Spider-Man came out of seeing Donald Glover audition for Spider-Man. He started asking himself why can't Spider-Man be black? Then boom the character Miles Morales fully formed popped up in his brain. So really the inspiration for Miles Morales was Donald Glover.
>>
>>84462522
>ory RIGHT AFTER a good one had just been prematurely ended. Making him even younger than Ultimate Peter always seemed retarded to me.
This.

Ultimate Spiderman got me into marvel. Got me into Spiderman. And then they killed him off to replace him with a token twofer minority.

Then they brought him back only to kill the cunt again.
>>
>>84460536
He's kind of bland. Milquetoast Morales more like.
>>
File: Ramen.jpg (91 KB, 417x457) Image search: [Google]
Ramen.jpg
91 KB, 417x457
>>84462422
Miles has a lot going for him. He's not in poverty, he's middle class. His father is a shield agent. Miles also trained with shield where he learned many of his combat skills. He's got game when it comes to the ladies. He's not the smartest character but he is clever. Miles is more morally neutral than Peter Parker. He protects the innocent but shows little to no concern for the safety of his villains. His biggest flaw is that he can be outsmarted when not underestimated. He struggles with protecting his family while balancing school and all that. Miles is also an avenger. He can be pretty random too from time to time but its fun.
>>
>>84460536
Boring.
Has no cool villians
No real hook
Can't actually be anything except good and out of the way.
He can't even do the late 80's - mid 90's spiderman thing where he just swings around and has wild and crazy ass adventures and has a shitload of random D list guest stars.
>>
>>84462522
USM was never good. every fun idea was ruined by anticlimax and reverting to status quo. Plus it had worst goblin.
>>
File: 22.jpg (146 KB, 466x756) Image search: [Google]
22.jpg
146 KB, 466x756
>>84462616
>>
>>84460536
Black anon here.

I find personally insulted by most of these super progressive minority replacement heroes. They're all created by out of touch old white men who want to score liberal points without understanding the mentality of those they're trying to placate. They spend this time skinning a white hero and trying to stuff a black/muslim/gay person into the costume that has more history and would theoretically sell books. It's fucking disgrace. It's like minorities are being tossed the scraps older heroes by their white masters and are expected to lap it up and say "thanks massa I sho do like how you gave ussa spida man dat looks like me." It's lazy. Originally Miles at least had a premise with him trying to fill the shoes of Peter Paker who had one the best deaths in comics (which was soon retconned, and then had his universe nuked). Since coming to the main universe he literally has no reason to exist, nothing setting him apart from Peter. It was done with no plan, no, the writing is literally manufactured as the comic book equivalent of a clickbait article.

And yeah I get it, new heroes don't sell. Whatever. Doesn't change the fact that most of the stories with these new heroes hinging on one idea and are written by hacks who try to push whatever trendy topic they skimmed on their facebook feed. /blog
>>
>>84462620
No cool villains?
>>
>>84462711
>>
>>84462710
There are plenty of things that separate Miles from Peter. Other than some shared powers and a name they have little to nothing in common.
>>
>>84460582
Hes like a boring Peter with lightning powers. I hate him, him Black and Mexican and this dude fucking sucks. We need more Peter last comic I read was this.
>>
File: MMULTSM2014010-int2-2-3d552.jpg (303 KB, 900x1366) Image search: [Google]
MMULTSM2014010-int2-2-3d552.jpg
303 KB, 900x1366
>>84463524
Saying he's like a boring Peter does not make it true. They are very different characters after all. And the venom blast isn't electricity but an energy that Miles' specifically can emit.

As a character he's very different from Peter. His father is a shield agent. Miles has trained with shield where he learned many of his combat skills. He's got game when it comes to the ladies. Always has. He's not the smartest character but he is clever for his age. Miles is more morally neutral than Peter Parker. He protects the innocent but shows little to no concern for the safety of his villains. His biggest flaw is that he can be outsmarted when not underestimated. Miles is also an avenger. He can be pretty random too from time to time but its fun.
>>
>>84462711
that's just crossbones
>>
>>84463611
Nope that is Anthony Masters the Bounty Hunter who came gunning for Miles. He's sort of the ultimate universes version of the taskmaster. He can absorb any power he comes into contact with.
>>
>>84460536
Miles "Venom Blast Always Wins" Morales?

He's just black Peter Parker with an instant win attack and the most vanilla series ever.
>>
>>84461226
Its summer time. The casuals are out in droves.

Miles fans and Dan Slott fans are the ultimate comic casuals.
>>
File: MMULTSM2014010-int2-3-4a0a1.jpg (365 KB, 900x1366) Image search: [Google]
MMULTSM2014010-int2-3-4a0a1.jpg
365 KB, 900x1366
>>84463601
>>
>>84462331
You're only fooling yourself.

Miles is just a "Tumblr approved!" checklist of characteristics.

If you remove the "black Spider-Man", he would be forgotten after issue #3.
>>
>>84463637
Irregardless of race Miles is a good character.

There was a black batman and where is he now? Batwing got canceled years ago.
>>
>>84463637
Miles and Peter Parker are nothing alike personality wise. Miles has killed two people already. With no regrets.
>>
I liked reading his first run.He was genuinely funny along with gank though he soon became uhh what would peter do and forced into every cosmic event.He also beat way too many people with his venom touch?It became really boring stopped reading around the time venom appeared.Ganke would have been a better spiderman and he was more funny making out with gwen was horrid writing.
>>84462710
but miles's costume is neat huh
>>
Black people liked him at first but then they went diversity times a million and now we hate him. It's almost as if they didn't think past him being black and trying to live up to the spiderman mantle
>>
File: Ganke.jpg (1 MB, 1800x2767) Image search: [Google]
Ganke.jpg
1 MB, 1800x2767
>>84463856
Ganke is a bitch bro.
>>
>>84462546
Literally none of this is true.
>>
>>84463903
You want me to find the interview where Bendis talked about the inspiration for Miles Morales?
>>
>>84462711
>>84462742
None of these characters are cool. They're just tacticool faggots.
>>
>>84463931
Nah Anthony Master's is pretty cool.
>>
>>84463601
>His father is a shield agent.
His father WAS a shield agent.

And guess what... Peter's parents were secret agents, too.

Fuck off, casual scum.
>>
>>84460536
What's his personality again?
>>
>>84463710
>Irregardless of race Miles is a good character.

This is objectively false.
>>
>>84462546
he claimed his daughters asked "why are there no super heroes that look like us"

Because you know black are genetically inferior and can not relate to any characters that don't look like them.
>>
File: Jefferson.jpg (1 MB, 1800x2767) Image search: [Google]
Jefferson.jpg
1 MB, 1800x2767
>>84463973
Nope his father is very much a shield agent at the moment. I'm looking forward to seeing father and son work together at some point.

And Jefferson and Miles have both worked for Shield before. And Miles father is very active in his life thus opening the door for the father to train the son. Something Peter and his father never did.
>>
>>84460536
Shit character.
>>
>>84464007
Bendis: While this was going on, two things happened: my family life changed dramatically, and Donald Glover stood up and said, "I want to be Spider-Man." I was like, "I would like him to be Spider-Man. Very much." I said so publicly at the time, and that came and went. We got closer and closer and closer to working on it, and then they did that hilarious bit on Community at the beginning of last season where he got out of bed and was wearing Spider-Man pajamas, and he looked fantastic! I had already written my first issue, and I was like, "Oh, I would so like to read that book!" then I was like, "I am writing that book. That's awesome!"

See I've got quotes too.
>>
>>84464007
I think you mean whites can't relate to characters that don't look like them.
>>
>>84463963
>b-but guys Miles always wins
>muh Bendis
>>
>>84463762
>Miles and Peter Parker are nothing alike personality wise.

You're delusional. There nearly identical.
>>
>>84463925
Well, for one Donald Glover never auditioned to be Spider-Man. So if that never happened, the rest never did. Its a domino effect.

You're just making shit up.

Literally, all that happened was that someone on Twitter suggested that Donald play the new Spider-Man after Andrew Garfield. Then rumors got spread around that Glover WAS 100% going to play Spider-Man and went from there.

Donald, himself, even talks about this in his 'Weirdo' live stand up special: https://youtu.be/ULdm2NLrN4E?t=1m4s
>>
File: 1467198141729.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
1467198141729.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>84464688
Nearly identical?

Since when does Peter ignore somebody in need? If one of Miles' villains were seriously harmed or in a perilous situation Miles would ignore them. Doesn't sound like Peter to me.

That's not to mention that Miles killed his Uncle and Norman Osborn. But yeah totally the same.
>>
File: kokXSgH.gif (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
kokXSgH.gif
2 MB, 640x480
>>84464010
You are one dense motherfucker.
>>
>>84464763
Don' believe me here is the link to Bendis's interview. He has cited Donald Glover as the inspiration for Miles multiple times.

http://www.newsarama.com/8132-bendis-talks-diversity-and-the-new-ultimate-spider-man.html
>>
>>84464786
>Since when does Peter ignore somebody in need?

You need to read more comics. Anytime Peter gets pissed, this happens. All you're doing is showing how much of a massive casual you are.
>>
>>84464928
But Miles' isn't pissed there. That is him normal. When Miles is pissed he kills people.

I've been a Peter fan my whole life. Don't remember him killing people just because he can.
>>
>>84465003
>That is him normal.

Right, which is why he nearly quit being Spider-Man twice after the death of his uncle and again after his mom's death.

>b-b-but he feels nothing!
>>
>>84465003
>I've been a Peter fan my whole life.
Yeah, clearly.

>Don't remember him killing people just because he can.
Miles doesn't do this either. Miles isn't Kaine. You're just making shit up now.
>>
>>84465044
He didn't quit being Spider-Man because his uncle died. He quit because his mom was killed by the police while he was trying to defeat venom. Basically he thought superheroing was bullshit because it cost him his mother.

Miles only quit once by the way. His uncle dying had nothing to do with it.
>>
>>84460536
He's alright, I guess
I liked ultimate Peter more
>>
File: 115.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
115.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>84465070
Did he or did he not accidentally kill his uncle?

Did he or did he not beat Norman to death?
>>
>>84464688
You're an idiot. Miles meet his Peter that he took the mantle from. Nothing remotely like chemistry or note taking happened in that bedroom.
>>
File: Ultimate Peter Miles.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
Ultimate Peter Miles.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>84465163
>Norman
>dying
>>
>>84465179
>Nothing remotely like chemistry or note taking happened in that bedroom.

What the fuck does this have to do with anything?
>>
>>84465163
The equipment his uncle was wearing killed him and Norman doesn't die
I mean what are they gonna do?
Write a new villain?
>>
>>84465214
>No
>Norman dead
>>
File: Norman Dies.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
Norman Dies.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>84465214
Like I said dead.
>>
>>84465163
>Did he or did he not beat Norman to death?

No, he literally did not.

>>84465214
>Norman
>dying

Except for the whole thing where Norman, you know, didn't die because of, you know, being immortal from the Oz serum, you know, the entire point of that arc. And, you know, getting taken in by SHIELD after this fight.
>>
>>84465273
You utterly fail at reading comprehension and following a story.

Defeated =/= dead, dingus.
>>
File: 16.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
16.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>84465294
Nope Miles killed him and then Maria Hill made sure he was dead.
>>
>>84465315
And covered it up for Miles in the process. Check the wikia Norman died in this issue.
>>
File: Norman Dead.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
Norman Dead.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>84465294
>>
File: rhino fight.jpg (99 KB, 521x820) Image search: [Google]
rhino fight.jpg
99 KB, 521x820
>>84465248
Miles' venom blasted the equipment. His uncle then appeared to use it and it exploded. There is precedence that Miles venom blast causes tech to explode.
>>
>>84465472
Like I said Miles accidentally killed his uncle.
>>
>>84465315
She wouldn't waste her bullets and burn him if he was already dead! Why do you think she wanted everyone away? So she could do this shit.
>>
>>84465509
An investigation was done with police coming to his house. This was cleared up.
>>
>>84465572
Or so they don't pin the killing on Spider-Man. If the police saw them there they'd accuse Spider-Man of murder.

Anyway you can interpret it however you want. On the wikia it says that Norman dropped to the ground dead after Miles exhausted him of all his Oz Formula. Peter felt no pulse when he checked Osborn. He was dead.
>>
>>84465163
Miles is clearly pissed there, how is that acting normal?
>>
>>84465602
Miles didn't find that out until after he'd already returned to superheroing.

In that time he'd met Captain America, Aunt May, and Gwen. He also got Web Shooters and fought Batroc. Was he wracked with guilt during this time? Nope. He moved on rather quickly with no residual guilt whatsoever.

Also after Maria Hill said in the coroners report that it appeared the tech malfunctioning caused the death, she said that investigations were still ongoing. Also the Police/Maria Hill didn't know about Miles' venom blast. They assumed his powers were the same as Peter's. So who is to say that the venom blast didn't cause the malfunction.
>>
>>84465952
I said Miles kills when he's pissed. Which he did here as he killed Norman by the end of the issue. Norman's repeated cashes with Miles drained him of all of his Oz formula and the physical damage that Miles dealt took a toll on him and thus killing him.

He had a chance to escape here but Miles wouldn't let him go.
>>
>>84465952
The above pic of him fighting hammerhead where he ignores the henchman that may need a doctor is him when he's normal.
>>
>>84466040
Like I said Miles shows little to no sympathy at all to those he feels are not worth his protection. So if you're a villain and in need of saving Miles is not the one to come to your rescue.
>>
>>84462616
>>84463601
Why the fuck did you post that twice?
>>
>>84466310
I was posting replies to two different people. They said he was boring or didn't have a lot going for him. I gave them reasons why that's not true.
>>
>>84462128
I don't get this line of thinking, that having a political motive influence the creation of the character somehow makes them illegitimate. Political influences, or influences, full stop, are unavoidable, and they don't delegitimize the result, nor make the result somehow "tainted".

Batgirl and Batwoman were literally conceived at first as ways to prove Batman and Robin weren't gay, and yet it's hard to imagine a DC universe without them now. Same deal with Black Panther and some other characters that were the "diversity hires" of their time. Not all have lasted and Marvel is as guilty as anyone else for arguably not giving others that should've lasted the chance they deserve, but none of this proves that they were inherently inferior for the presence of political or commercial considerations in their creation.

There are plenty of valid reasons to critique Miles' qualities as a character and his place in the MU or even the skill of the people in charge of writing and drawing him, but the notion that he doesn't deserve to exist because the people in charge thought that having more black characters attached to key brands was a good idea isn't one of them.
>>
>>84466010
>I said Miles kills when he's pissed.
He doesn't. He doesn't actively attempt to kill anyone. Ever.

>Which he did here as he killed Norman by the end of the issue.
Except for the whole part where he doesn't. Right around this scene they specifically talk about how the Oz formula made Norman and Peter immortal. Even if they seem to be dead. Peter was "killed" and then came back. Norman is no different here.

So far, the only way to kill them is by destroying their entire unniverse (see: Secret Wars).

>Norman's repeated cashes with Miles drained him of all of his Oz formula
Yes, because its been shown time and time again that Norman has a finite amount of Oz in his system and that his body isn't genetically altered from the substance. /s

>and the physical damage that Miles dealt took a toll on him and thus killing him.

aka:
>Muh headcanon is now actual canon

Pro tip: No, it isn't.
>>
>>84464786
There's nothing actually wrong with that guy though, he's just being a baby.
If you really needed medical attention why would you call the only person who could help you a tool?
>>
wow
>>
>>84471585
>bumping this thread
Why?
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.