[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Okay, maybe my dad did steal Itchy. So what? Animation is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: Roger_Meyers,_Jr..png (11 KB, 240x400) Image search: [Google]
Roger_Meyers,_Jr..png
11 KB, 240x400
>Okay, maybe my dad did steal Itchy. So what? Animation is built on plagiarism. If it weren't for someone plagiarizing the Honeymooners we wouldn't have the Flintstones. If someone hadn't ripped off Sergeant Bilko, there'd be no Top Cat. Huckleberry Hound, Chief Wiggum, Yogi Bear? Hah! Andy Griffith, Edward G. Robinson, Art Carney. Your honor, you take away our right to steal ideas, where are they gonna come from?

Was he right?
>>
Yes.
>>
Flintstones wasn't plagiarism, it was parody.
>>
>>84453441
Yeah. Look at popular shows now.
>>
>>84453441
Ummmm.... How about......
"Ghost Mutt"?
>>
>>84453441
Yes, but this examples are awful
>>
yes, pic related
>>
Sure. Shakespeare never had an original idea in his entire career.
>>
>>84453441
No. From what I remember Itchy was literally stolen, as a character. Not loose parody like all his examples.
He's not wrong in the sense that we largely lift our ideas from other stories and media, but he is wrong in the sense his company has no right to the character it stole.
>>
>>84453441
My favorite part of that is that Wiggum is in the room, and looks over at the mention of his name.
>>
File: ChiefWiggum.png (61 KB, 228x228) Image search: [Google]
ChiefWiggum.png
61 KB, 228x228
>>84453947
>>
File: 1359875449359.jpg (575 KB, 1416x1300) Image search: [Google]
1359875449359.jpg
575 KB, 1416x1300
>>84453477

>it was parody.

The fallback of all plagiarists. That and "homage".
>>
>>84454004
Is there a robot with tits?
>>
>>84454004
I can't speak for the others, but Chief Wiggum absolutely was a parody of Edward G. Robinson and I don't think they ever made a secret of that. Parodies are kind of The Simpsons' thing.
>>
>>84454125
They even lifted a Billy Crystal bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Qcv3YV4aA
>>
>>84453441
for the 60s-70s hanna-barbera era, yes.
for cartoons in general, no. most of them were original and created their own original and distinct characters
>>
>>84454184
that's more of a "beam me up scotty"
people who arent terribly familiar with the bible, old movies, or old movies about the bible just go "that guy that talks like a gangster from the old looney tunes or whatever, he said 'nyaah where's your messiah now?' right? that's his thing"
>>
Some day I wanna hear the true story Flatulent Fox is based on.
>>
>>84454004
You must really hate Over The Garden Wall.
>>
>>84453546
>now
Found the millennial.
>>
>>84453477
Jackie Gleason and his lawyer both knew they could win a plagiarism lawsuit against H-B. They only backed off when Gleason realized he would be remembered as the guy who got Fred Flintstone taken off the air.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.