[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Villain: Do you really think even two men in the world can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 11
File: 1468241911692.jpg (40 KB, 501x445) Image search: [Google]
1468241911692.jpg
40 KB, 501x445
>Villain: Do you really think even two men in the world can touch me, let alone beat me? I know every fighting style there is! I'll perfectly predict and counter every move you make!
>Hero: Then I won't use a fighting style, I'll just flail around randomly like I'm fighting a swarm of bees during an earthquake! Even I won't know my next move!
>Other Hero: And I'll make no moves whatsoever! I'll stand here and take every hit and never fall down because my sheer willpower makes me immune to internal hemorrhaging!
>Villain: Oh no, I literally cannot conceive of a way to defend against the absence of a fighting style! My half a lifetime of training is useless now!
>>
This......only happens in manga
>>
>>84417847
I'm pretty sure Robin beat someone that way once.
>>
>>84417847
Taskmaster in Deadpool kills the Marvel Universe comes to mind.
>>
>>84417847
Further proof that eastern cliches are better than western cliches
>>
>>84417860
But that's not Deadpool going "Haha! I shall super unpredictable and you won't be able to beat me!"
That's just how he is.
Like the Joker.

Or Jackie Chan
>>
>>84417871
Eastern cliches rustle my jimmies because 9/10 they have zero relation to real life.
It's one of the many reasons why weebs are so socially awkward.
>>
>>84417908
Good manga are metaphorical, symbolic.
Bad manga are derivative of good manga.
>>
>>84417833
While this can obviously be taken to retarded extremes, the basic concept is actually quite sound.

Say you know someone goes for a left hook or straight every time he throws a right jab, and that he can't go for an uppercut or haymaker because it'll leave him wide open. The opponent uses this knowledge to counter him by weaving away from the straight or hook and landing a counterpunch.

If the person instead does something extremely inadvisable by opening himself up after the jab, he can take advantage of his opponent's attempt to counter his real style.

In essence someone who perfectly counters your style is doing so with knowledge of that style's weaknesses, and as such has become predictable themselves.
>>
>>84417859
It was in Grayson

Dick was fighting midnighter and switched from his nightwing fighting style to his Robin fighting style or some shit like that.
>>
>>84417908
>Eastern cliches
>they have zero relation to real life
>one of the many reasons why weebs are so socially awkward
If you think western fiction has any relation to real life, you're the socially awkward one.
>>
>>84418898

>stomach groans

>SHAMEFUR DISPRAY, MUST COMMIT SEPPUKU UGU~

How many times am I gonna keep seeing this shit? Does it ever stop?
>>
File: trool.gif (2 MB, 262x216) Image search: [Google]
trool.gif
2 MB, 262x216
>>84418954
>>
>>84417833

It was reversed in Batgirl, when Cassandra Cain found that she couldn't lay a blow to the Joker because she was unable to "read" him.
>>
File: Jafar's_Lamp.jpg (46 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Jafar's_Lamp.jpg
46 KB, 640x360
>>84417833
More of an manga problem, but I'm really bored with pure power/determination heroes.
I want to see more heroes win by strategy or straight up cheap shots.
>>
>>84418898
Western fiction is all just a retread of Classical Drama which all jus boils down to
>Muh Freedom!
>Muh Fate!
>Flawed reductionist views of aesthetics!

Anon probably just doesn't understand eastern philosophy. I can't really blame him. It's all >something-something-personal duty-something- something-obligation-something-honor
>>
>>84417908
>character screams
>camera pans to the sky
I don't know, that seems pretty useful for my job as anime protagonist.
>>
>>84418997
Isn't "lol he nuts" the usual explanation of how Joker can fight on par with experienced martial artists?

>>84419008
>I want to see more heroes win by strategy
But that's like an entire genre of manga popularized by chuuni shit like Death Note.
>>
>>84419039
>Isn't "lol he nuts" the usual explanation of how Joker can fight on par with experienced martial artists?
It's really not that bad of an explanation, though it should only work in the extremely short-term.

Martial Arts are generally based around fighting other practitioners and around knowledge of fighting instincts and style.

Someone who fights like a crazy person leaving themselves wide open or throwing around their center of gravity is going to take a practiced fighter by surprise
>>
>>84418809
>>84417859
Also Tim Drake against evil Cassandra Cain in OYL.

>>84418801
Way I see it, the cliche is a leftover from wuxia movies (especially shapers) and jidaigeki fare where fighter = style, and beating a fighter is 100% dependent on finding the flaw/secret/mystery of their style and countering it. The problem with that mindset is that it eliminates the individual qualities of the artist himself by reducing him to just his style and creates this idea that superbly trained fighters with actual fighting experience can be overcome by flailing wildly.
In my eyes, that kind of strategy would only work with people who have been very, VERY rigidly trained and completely lack actual fighting experience.
>>
>>84419008
JoJo is for you. Part 2 is nothing but a trickster hero beating literal gods.
>>
>>84418954
>a boy trips and falls onto a girl's chest for a fraction of a second
>she was looking right at him and could clearly see that it was an accident
>he immediately gets up, is horrified and apologizes
>PERVERT!!! *SLAP*
It will never stop.
>>
>>84417871
>"This opponent is too good. He's stronger and faster than me too!"
>"But I have a super secret "transformation" I can use.
>*TRANSFORMS*
>"Now I'm stronger, faster, smarter, a better fighter, have better physical and mental reaction time, can predict any of my opponents moves now and suddenly know new moves and fighting styles."
>>
>>84419131
Cultural differences

It's not that she thinks he intended to do that, it's that if she doesn't react that way people will think she's a slut.
>>
>>84419084
From what I've read, trained fighters will have a more difficult time against untrained people than against people with a little training. People with a little training will stick heavily to what they've learned, and since what they've learned is mostly a bunch of basic techniques they're pretty limited in what they'll do. So it's also a misinterpretation of someone's personal experience fighting.
>>
>>84419115
>>84419008
I know it's considered plebcore, but I was gonna say this, too.

>>84419131
Maybe watch something that isn't haremshit?
>>
>>84419039
>Isn't "lol he nuts" the usual explanation of how Joker can fight on par with experienced martial artists?
"lol he nuts" is the Joker superpower. It's used to explain everything that he shouldn't be able to do.
>>
File: 4356456.jpg (277 KB, 1213x3006) Image search: [Google]
4356456.jpg
277 KB, 1213x3006
>>84419131
>That time in Dead Or Alive when Lei-Fang was on a train which made an emergency stop.
>Everyone on the train flies all over the place.
>Lei-Fangs shirt comes undone and her bra-covered breasts are exposed.
>Man lands on her tits.
>Man apologizes profusely.
>Lei-Fang kicks him so hard he goes flying out the window, off the bridge and into the lake 400 feet below.
>Everyone on train cheers Lei-Fang.
>>
>>84419068
No prep-time in the world can protect Batman from the junk punch.
>>
>>84419115
Awesome, will give it a go!
>>
>>84419186
https://youtu.be/H73qFYp0jI8
>>
>>84419186
Sounds worth it t b h
>>
>>84419131
>the one time this DIDN'T happen in Gurren Lagann
They knew how to hook you with that first episode
>>
Is there any other hero that wins by talking down the villain? Steven universe comes to mind
>>
>>84419169
Then why doesn't Batman have a hard time fighting no-name thugs and mooks?
>>
>>84422234
Because he's the goddamn Batman
>>
>>84419008
The main character in My Hero Academia is like this. He didn't have powers most of his life so he spent his time studying how others used their's, including his childhood friend, and when they come to blows he manages to counter his moves without relying on the one hit KO power he inherits.

Also, despite the aforementioned one hit KO power, it totally wrecks his body so he has to carefully plan and strategize the most effective way to employ it, because once he uses it he's done. Literal glass cannon with a brain, and some of the ways he finds to make use of it are pretty inventive and rely heavily on his knowledge of his friend's abilities.
>>
>>84422285
And that is the worst cliche of them all.
>>
>>84417871
But this cliché is stupid, wrong and makes no sense.
>>
>>84422384

Well, he gets better at not wrecking himself in the process, and also the willpower thing is pretty important, because the ability to refuse to go down even after you exploded your own bones to do your big attack is kind of an important thing for Izuku. Just fucking refusing to acknowledge pain and keeping on going until he collapses is kind of Izuku's second superpower.
>>
>>84418809
Oh my goodness that sounds amazing. Which issue/issues was that in?
>>
>>84417860
Taskmaster was still able to read Wade's moves. He's mistake was ignoring Man-thing.
>>
>>84422648
*HIS
what the fuck I was typing.
>>
>>84422384
I love how visceral his broken bones are in the anime. Like, his joints are all kinds of fucked up, his arms just flapping all over the place like a wet rag, its brutal
>>
File: 1458927794306.jpg (35 KB, 490x357) Image search: [Google]
1458927794306.jpg
35 KB, 490x357
>>84417833
>>
>>84422770
>A DOCUMENT
>AN OFFICER
>SOME GUY
>>
>>84422384
HE'D BETTER FUCK THE FROG
>>
>>84423115
Well I think it's meant to be fake, so it adds to the joke. I thought it was funny.
>>
>>84422769
I'm 110% sure Izuku will turn out to have a Quirk that manifests later in life/ at an odd or dire situation just so the writer can escape a corner he's written himself into.

Also I'm betting the other ~7 previous One for All users had minor Quirks that got rolled into One for All, and Izuku will have to learn how to use them separately and in tandem with his other powers.
>>
>>84419169
>From what I've read, trained fighters will have a more difficult time against untrained people than against people with a little training.
You've read bullshit.
>>
>>84418997
And there was that time Wolverine fought sone Geese Howard wannabe, and got his ass handed to him...because the dude is psychic and was reading and countering him.

Round 2, the guy makes the mistake of triggering Logan's berserker rage. All Logan's attacks are now pure instinct, no thought, and Wolverine almost kills the guy. Easily.
>>
>>84423217
Literal frog chick or french woman?
>>
File: Asui.Tsuyu.full.1961713[1].jpg (203 KB, 792x565) Image search: [Google]
Asui.Tsuyu.full.1961713[1].jpg
203 KB, 792x565
>>84423773

Actual frog chick. She has frog powers.
>>
>>84423899
You mean normal anime girl with frog tongue.
>>
>>84424216
She can also climb on walls and eject her stomach to wash it.
>>
>>84424444
>ejects her stomach
I'd like some caps with those quads
>>
File: thanos i'll do it myself.gif (2 MB, 500x218) Image search: [Google]
thanos i'll do it myself.gif
2 MB, 500x218
>>84423217
>>84423899

If he doesn't do it, I'll do it myself.
>>
>>84424444
Also she becomes lethargic when it's cold outside. So basically she's got the shittiest superpowers of all (except the sticky balls dude maybe)
>>
>>84424763

Nah. Tsuyu is fast (she was barely a second behind the class president whose power is Goesfast in the 50 meter dash), strong, can breathe underwater, leap like 30 meters, and a lot of what her tongue does is less "frog" and more "magical Indiana Jones whip". She's going to do a lot better than sticky balls guy, or penis laser guy.

Also, there's the guy whose only power is that he has a tail. That's literally it. He's just in because he trains like a motherfucker.
>>
>>84419068
>a trained fighter won't capitalize on someone who leaves themselves open
>they'll just be confused instead
This is what you sound like.
>>
>>84423899
please tell me she doesn't have some stupid, japanese-think-frogs-sound-like-this vocal tic.
>>
>>84417833
Stop reading manga, OP
>>
File: 1460211161144.png (580 KB, 800x1242) Image search: [Google]
1460211161144.png
580 KB, 800x1242
>>84425867
kero kero
mina's the real best girl anyway
>>
>>84421284
Dora the explorer
>Swiper no swiping! Swiper no swiping! Swiper no swiping!
>Swiper: Well I guess you're right, what would my mother think...
>>
>>84419159
Eastern culture is degenerate, and their languages are unadvanced savagery.
>>
File: tumblr_mp2kr2dcjc1qel86qo1_500.jpg (192 KB, 488x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mp2kr2dcjc1qel86qo1_500.jpg
192 KB, 488x750
>>84419281
Sure about that?
>>
>>84425992
All cultures are degenerate though.
>>
>>84421046
yeah, because the lead wasn't the biggest mary sue already
>>
>>84422769
>his arms just flapping all over the place like a wet rag, its brutal

Too bad that he barely shows pain about it
>>
>>84417833
This actually works in Chess.

Believe it or not, if the gulf in skill is INCREDIBLY great, the master might actually lose to the absolute amateur moron for the sole purpose that the amateur does things that are out of left field.

I had this happen when I was 16 and I beat the local master when he visited our Chess club. He declared me the worst player he ever faced and that is why I won.
>>
>>84423899
She has a big dopey smile on her face all the time.
>>
>>84428564
Nice.
>>
>>84428291
Ehhhhhhhhh Simon kinda took the backseat for most of the first half of the show. Not very mary-sueish
>>
>>84419143
>Implying that's not the best shit even if build up right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lctcQssn5E
Bonus points if the transformation harms the character in some way.
>>
>>84428486
Any sport or game hugely based off prediction is the same. Which is why button smashers are so derided among fighting game fans, fighting games are all about prediction and response.
>>
>>84417908
It's not the cliches. They're dumb, but they're pretty standard slapstick level stuff. Similar things exist in the west.

Weebs are socially awkward because they don't socialize, and are isolated, and they have no other basis of comparison for how to act aside from stupid anime cliches, and don't have the cultural literacy to know that they're silly and shouldn't be taken seriously.
>>
>>84428311
I imagine he's probably in shock, he passes out pretty fast afterwards anyway.

Those times he just broke a finger he looked like he was struggling to work through the pain. Kid's a trooper.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.