[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did it really make business sense to kill Saturday morning cartoons?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 177x155) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 177x155
Did it really make business sense to kill Saturday morning cartoons? As bad as ratings were, I imagine that kids would much rather have cartoons (even if they were only shows syndicated from cable networks) than what they replaced the lineups with. Now the time slots usually belong to either bland, forgettable live action educational stuff or straight up infomercials.
>>
>>84409188
Should have just made better shows.
>>
>>84409188
Government requires a certain amount of educational television either fit a grant our to be publicly broadcast. I can't remember.

But if they made more money than infomercials, they wouldn't have been replaced. My understanding is that action cartoons were made at a loss and merchandise made up the profits. Smartphones, vidya, and the internet impacted the action figure market considerably.
>>
Isn't it required for people to use cable for TV, giving people access to Cartoon Network, Disney, etc.? Not to mention the rise of video streaming services.
>>
>>84410236
It just now occurs to me: can an action cartoon be produced to market a series of video games?

Here's what I picture, enlighten me if it's already been tried:
> Video game is planned with characters, levels, items, worlds, abilities, etc
> Action cartoon shows off the characters, items, worlds, levels etc episode by episode within a season
> New DLC is produced every year to accompany new seasons
> Every couple of years a whole new game is released with new features
> The show is produced to advertise and contextualize the new features
And so on.

I think it could work.
>>
>>84411497
Goddammit. I just described Pokémon.

Time to go to sleep.
>>
what i miss about kids wb and fox kids is that there seemed to be a lot more variety in the kind of programs you got; you had your action-based cartoons based off comic characters (btas, x-men), you had more comedic shows (animaniacs, tiny toons), live-action (power rangers, goosebumps), and in the later years anime imports (pokemon, digimon, yu-gi-oh)

modern cn and nickelodeon feel so homogenized in comparison.......especially since they spend so much airtime on just a handfull of shows each
>>
>>84411497
And everything meant to replace it. Yokai Watch, the weird spinning tops game, Yugioh, etc.

Even things like Sailor Moon or, in Japan, PreCure are widely used/watched. PreCure for girls and Sentai for boys
>>
I know this was occurring long before streaming, but Netflix was the killing blow for Saturday morning cartoons.

You can watch literally anything you want at literally any time you want. It's changed the paradigm of TV as a whole in ways that animation is still adjusting to.
>>
>>84411605
Relevant, since Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh, and other such anime is the only reason Saturday morning cartoons lasted for most of the 00s. They'd have probably gone extinct around 2003 otherwise. (unless you count stuff like ABC and CBS converting to Disney Channel and Nickelodeon rerun blocks)
>>
Do they even have afterschool cartoons anymore? I remember coming home and watching whatever Disney was running in syndication before I moved to a market with a Fox channel and watching Animaniacs, BTAS and Power Rangers every weekday.

Yes, I was born in an area so podunk that there isn't a Fox channel.
>>
>>84411497

Basically every Japanese children's game, retard. Yokai Watch is literally the main thing they are doing and they even have a awful 4Kids-tier dubbing on Disney XD.
>>
>>84409188

>Now the time slots usually belong to either bland, forgettable live action educational stuff or straight up infomercials

That was always a thing. There is even a law where public channels HAVE TO air them. Also you're screwed as the internet, Netflix, and Call of Duty effectively killed kids watching Saturday morning cartoons, even Toonami is useless since all they air is dated anime with a terrible dubs on an ungodly hour when you could just look up subs(the way god intended) at any given time. Cable tv as a whole will probably die off soon.
>>
>>84411497

Yo-kai Watch
Inazuma Eleven
Megaman Star Force
Megaman NT Warrior
Beyblade
Yu-Gi-Oh
Pokemon

Take your pick. I could go on with this forever.
>>
>>84412092

It doesn't help that networks dedicated to cartoons is so small and they make constant dumb executive decisions.*cough*cartoon bombs*cough*.
>>
>>84411939

>PreCure for girls

Lets be serious, you know it's not little girls watching that shit.
>>
Having flashbacks of waking up on Saturday mornings to catch the latest episodes of Digimon Tamers, Shaman King, Megaman NT Warrior, etc. Those were the days senpai.
>>
File: 1351366440877.png (153 KB, 405x405) Image search: [Google]
1351366440877.png
153 KB, 405x405
>>84415027
>Basically every Japanese children's game, retard.

the very next post is that same anon correcting himself, cut the guy a break
>>
File: holla if you feel me.png (17 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
holla if you feel me.png
17 KB, 633x758
>tfw you'll never get out of pre-school at 1:15 again
>tfw you'll never run into your mom's sewing shop and turn on the tv
>tfw you'll never sit through an hour of infomercials for Pokemon or Yugioh
>tfw it will never be continued
>>
File: 1447270654144.jpg (492 KB, 1695x949) Image search: [Google]
1447270654144.jpg
492 KB, 1695x949
>>84415174

Nah, anon must feel bad for their error also this thread will probably reach page 10 anyway. They need all the replies they can get.
>>
>>84415027
I've watched maybe half a dozen episodes and Yokai Watch's dub is fine.
>>
>>84409188
Do you not still have kids wb? They have it every day in Australia, with justice league, brace and the bold, Ben 10 and teen titans
It's pretty great
>>
File: Jinrui-10-1.jpg (307 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Jinrui-10-1.jpg
307 KB, 1280x720
>>84415305

>and Yokai Watch's dub is fine

>that butchered opening
>Kuma's retard voice
>Those shitty Yokai voices especially Jibanyan
>Nate Adams

Watch the subs, anon.
>>
Seeing how mainstream cartoon channels were becoming the norm, yeah it made sense to kill it off

Why the fuck am I gonna wake up early on a Saturday to watch a cartoon when I can just wake up whenever and watch a whenever on a channel that airs cartoon all day
>>
>>84411003
>Isn't it required for people to use cable for TV
What?
>>
Think it might have to do with Pokemon?
Kids WB ended a couple of years after they lost the rights to Pokemon.
>>
>>84415141
But anon.... I am the little girl

jokes aside, over there the audience for that show is mostly lil girls. The men watching it are just otaku so who cares about them.
>>
>>84417666
They didn't want to give up the rights after TPC took over the dubbing. They also had a bunch of bullshit guidelines for edits when it came to anime.
>>
>>84417666
The original Yugioh series ending probably had more to do with it. Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh were the two main things keeping the block afloat, so they couldn't really afford to lose either.
>>
File: Cheap.jpg (23 KB, 343x362) Image search: [Google]
Cheap.jpg
23 KB, 343x362
Suckers have payed for cable at a ridiculous rate so it's better money-wise to put the cheapest shit on broadcast.

I don't understand having cable myself. There was a signifigant period where you could get the only 3 shows worth a shit each year commercial-free on dvd for the same price and even now it's at least as worth doing to avoid annoying commercial breaks and not encourage the stations to air things that only would have made it on broadcast in the 20th century in their normal lineup. Oh, and you get to keep your more dependable phone line, which you don't get to with the more reasonably priced packages that include cable.
>>
They like that the only signifigant censorship on cable is self-imposed stuff that they haven't taken as seriously.

What pissed me off when Teen Titans returned to Kids WB for the last time, it was:
>Look and see at all which post-season-2 eps are appropriate by broadcast standards? FUCK NO! We'll run the same 2 seasons everyone is good and sick of by now and advertise the show's return like anyone should give a shit about them at all!
>>
As with everything else in the world, Kids WB went to shit in 2006.

Summer 2006 felt like the teary farewell to a long and special area, in many ways.
>>
>>84423336
My girlfriend's brother said the other day "The 90s actually died in 2004" and in so many ways I think he's right. 2004 just seems like such a big shift to me.
>>
File: 1410598525584.png (689 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1410598525584.png
689 KB, 900x900
>My Neices and nephews dont know what Saturday morning cartoons are

>all they watch are Dan Schneider coms
>>
Let's see when the major Saturday morning cartoon blocks died:
>ABC turned into a Disney Channel rerun block in 2002
>CBS turned into a Nick Jr rerun block in 2000 (although the block had already gone to hell in the mid 90s)
>Fox Kids ended in 2002. Foxbox lasted until 2008
>KidsWB died in 2006. Its successor, Toonzai, survived until 2014 (making it the last of its kind)
>NBC pulled out of the game in the early 90s

People like to blame the anime boom for the death of Western cartoons, but it looks like broadcast cartoons were kind of going the way of dodo around that time either way. Anime allowed the last few blocks to survive much longer than they should have.
>>
>>84423601
The 90s died on 9/11.
>>
>>84423336
>>84423601
>>84427144
most decades don't really begin on a cultural level till about 4-6 years into the decade, and similarly end about 4-6 years into the following decade, in my opinion the 90's started late(95 or 96, maybe even 97) and ended early, within about 6 months of 9/11(that might have been the start of the end, but it took a couple months for it to pick up momentum)
>>
>>84409188
It boils down to marketting, and marketers are fucking retarded, as are the execs who listen to them. This is more a /v/ example but it's relevant. Ken Levine is given free reign to develop bioshock infinity. He has the game focus tested. Unsurprisingly College Frat Boys are more interested in a shooter witha gruff white dude holding a gun on the cover.

anyone could've told you this. Levine will bring up this point to whine about the shit he was forced to do to market his game. But the point of focus testing is to get a slice of the population you want to market to and feel out their mind set, not to decide the entire path of your marketing, yet it gets used to make blanket decisions about every product under the sun. Bioshock Infinite is about ken levine's waifu, not gruff shootan man, but he puts gruff shootan man on the cover to draw in frat bros who panned the game as being a pretentious piece of trash (and they were right)

more on topic, beavis and butthead comes back. But they don't riff on music videos anymore they riff on reality television, and they're decently funny about it even if it's not the same. but M-Tv's new audience is supposed to be teenaged girls.

Everything is prepackaged and sold to an audience now. If you can't get enough of that audience execs shit themselves in terror rather than adapting and capitalizing on their unforeseen audience.

Saturday morning cartoons are meant to sell toys, video games put the action figure out of business. Or at least cut into its profit to an absurd degree.

broadcast television is on the way out, I personally haven't paid for cable in ten years. Rather watch netflix and youtube and pirate my shit. The nielson rating is a dinosaur and TV is gonna have to find a new way to market itself since the internet has created a culture that lets you have whatever you want, when you want it, how you want it, commercial free, on demand.
>>
>>84427144
But Nickelodeon from 2001-2004 still seemed very similar to how it was in the late nineties, before undergoing changes in 2005.
>>
>>84430867
And even after 9/11, much of the pop culture still had the same feel, before changing around late 2004/2005.

For example, Sonic Heroes (released in 2004) I'd say has the same wacky, "x-treme-era", colorful feel to it as the Adventure games (released before 9/11). However, Shadow the hedgehog (2005) and Sonic 06 (2006) feel much more at home in the Hot Topic emo era.
>>
>>84428790
Fox and ABC's blocks were both successful through the entire 90s (and KidsWB, near the end). Of course, it was a far cry from the 80s, when every network was climbing over each other to outdo the others' lineup.
>>
>>84412092
>You can watch literally anything you want at literally any time you want. It's changed the paradigm of TV as a whole in ways that animation is still adjusting to.
no
no
no
you can't just say that shit and get away with it.
Netflix has literally nothing to watch and anyone who says otherwise is being paid by Netflix.
>>
File: 1407800182927.jpg (9 KB, 409x409) Image search: [Google]
1407800182927.jpg
9 KB, 409x409
>two hours of cartoons in the afternoon
>an hour of pokemon to start it off finishing with Jackie Chan and YGO
>>
>>84431285
Oh I'm sorry baby, did I trigger you? Yeah a significant portion of their line up is shit. 90% of the crap on television is shit and you're expected to sit through 10 minutes of commercials for 20 minutes of entertainment on top of that.

You want a show? Torrent it, or find a streaming site. Netflix is a decent source of brainless entertainment and has some movies I'd never watch otherwise. Some of it's garbage and some of it's good.

your inability to find a movie to watch or TV show to binge watch out of nostalgia or boredom isn't my problem.
>>
>>84428726
Really? Liquid Television and Cartoon Sushi were for teen girls? I mean, Daria was their attempt to court that demographic, not to appease a well-established one -- and that wasn't until 1997.
>>
>>84431620
They were the late 90s. That's like saying 2007-2009 wasn't the 00s.
>>
>>84416002
I thought there was a thing a few years ago about TVs being forced to go all digital or switch to cable.
>>
>>84431660
No, they just changed how broadcast signals work. "Digital" refers to the new way of sending broadcast, which old TVs don't have the tech to pick up.
>>
>>84409188
>be poor and have no cable
>would still get cartoons mon - fri on public TV
>one day, I come home from school and it's gone

I have never been the same since.
>>
File: Qubo_logo.png (29 KB, 170x229) Image search: [Google]
Qubo_logo.png
29 KB, 170x229
There actually still is one all-kids broadcast channel where kids can watch cartoons without cable, but it's kind of...
>>
File: image.png (170 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
170 KB, 750x1334
>>84411003
No.
Its required we get shows like Nbc and Cbs.
Its limited but we have the right to know what happens in the news
>>
>>84431829
Nick's never really been known for its diverse lineup. When I was a kid, Clarissa Explains it All and Wild n Crazy Kids were on all the fucking time.
>>
>>84431437
>jacking off to jade because she was your age

Good times
>>
>>84431826
Qubo has Babar on late at night so im not complaining. Its nice to watch when you get home and you pop a beer open. Just relax until your next shift
>>
>>84431883
It ended in 2002. 00s Nick just had a weird habit of holding back 2-3 episodes and airing them long after the show was no longer relevant.
>>
>>84432228
I feel that besides cartoons, the late 00s were better. In the early 00s you mostly had cheesy sequel/reboot/rehash crap, however in the second half we began getting great movies like The Dark knight and Inception.
>>
>>84432228
The late 00s aren't old enough to really have a clear cultural niche yet. After another half-decade, it'll be clear what people choose to remember from that era.
>>
>>84432228
>>84432381
>>84431641
I'm curious: do you guys prefer to divide decades into halves (early, late) or thirds (early, mid, late)?

I feel like thirds fit the pop culture changes best. 2000-2003 was different from 2004-2006 which was different from 2007-2009.
>>
>>84432439
For instance, /co/ shows like Courage the Cowardly Dog and Time Squad would fit the first part, while shows like Foster's Home and Camp lazlo fit the second part, while shows like Chowder and flapjack fit the third part.

Each had their own distinct styles that matched the time period.
>>
>>84432322
Mid to late 2000's was a golden time to be on the internet. Just the right amount of content and freshness without being completely overtaken by smartphone normies.
>>
>>84431874
Azula must have been like God smiling on you
>>
>>84432381
they never will. nobody's ever going to give any fucks about the 00s. it was just terrible. it'll be the time we just don't talk about.
>>
>>84432531
oh god yes. what the shit happened? our kind of internet never became mainstream, it got bypassed. SKIPPED i tell you. and anime went from niche to embarrassingly passe with nothing in between.
>>
>>84411003
I think you mean digital and analog tv signals for channels.
>>
>>84432771

I will wait for Azula to turn 18.
>>
>>84433116
Are you 12?
The best time for internet was early to mid 90's the dotcom boom and bust brought the normies.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.