[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what was the point in having the Bart Simpson look-alike in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6
So what was the point in having the Bart Simpson look-alike in this episode?
>>
>haha fuck you simpsons were more adult and edgier and we're better a haha
>>
To point out that both SP and Family Guy descend from the Simpsons.
>>
>>84406263
The writers of The Simpsons supported Matt and Trey for bashing Family Guy and allowed them to use Bart in the second part.
>>
>>84406305

A mix of this, and joking about how modern adult animation is a million times more edgy and dark than Simpsons ever was.
>>
>>84406263
the same point as having cartman and kyle's fight go through the king of the hill studio
>>
>>84406263
SP were very asshole with this episode, because it was actually aired just when Family Guy had it season 4 revival, and that was decent, Parker & Stone were just very butthurt that a show they dislike was rebooted.

but well, now when every manchildren watch this episode, they thinks it's about the current garbage on FG.
>>
>>84406558

Made all the more hilarious by the fact that Seth gave a speech addressing the episode, and thanked SP for how it portrayed his show.

They tried to piss him off, and he took the joke like a champ.
>>
>>84406558
well it's still nothing but cutaway gags isn't it
>>
>>84406930
it's just more comedy-oriented without social commentary, but that was not more edgy or with toilet humor than South Park, the humor is the same, just that SP creators and their fans have the impression of feeling smart like if they were on a social justice fight.
>>
>>84407041

FG had plenty of social commentary at times. Hell, Brian suddenly became a democrat, a putz at that, and had to be anti-whatever someone in the family believed that episode because he had to be right or at least the informed one.
>>
>>84407041
To be fair, they acknowledged in that VERY episode that the show was up its own ass with the morals.
>>
To make 14 year olds go, "Y-YEAH!" at the screen.
>>
>>84406470
Fun fact: Mike Judge voiced Kenny's "Goodbye, you guys." in the South Park movie
>>
File: 1437234983321.jpg (31 KB, 326x329) Image search: [Google]
1437234983321.jpg
31 KB, 326x329
>>84407041
South Park is actually funny though.
>>
>>84407720

So was Family Guy, for a time.
>>
>>84407720
The word "funny" have a actually a very subjective definition, also there are no problems with that here because that season 4 was different but actually decent.
And South Park is not always funny, there are shitty moments like in every shows.
>>
>>84406263
It's a series of episodes about SP and Family Guy. Cant really talk about the differences and similarities of both without addressing the fact that they both also share some of the same DNA as the Simpsons.
>>
>>84406263
What was the point in Barbara Streisand being Mechagodzilla? Sometimes they just do things because "why not?"
>>
>>84408401
I think it was just to mock her temper and how helpless people are to her rampages. I don't know much about Streisand, but I assume that's the case anyways.
>>
>>84407720
Leave, womanlet.
>>
>>84408607
>think it was just to mock her temper and how helpless people are to her rampages
Elaborating on this? I thought it was just because she was a bitch or something.
>>
>>84409685
Like I said, I don't know much about Barbara Streisand, but it wouldn't be a stretch to believe she's a massive diva.
>>
Speaking of this, what's Matt and Trey obsession with the episode where Bart cuts the head of the J.Springfield statue? They refer to it in both this and the other Simpsons episode like it is the most memorable thing from the show
>>
>>84409894
It might not be the absolute most memorable scenarios from the show but it's easily among the more recognizable ones. Referenced multiple times in pop culture and the show itself.
>>
>>84410322
But why? It's from season 1. Ask anybody who actually watches the Simpsons and they'll tell you Season 1 wasn't even that good. Bart's pulled much bigger stunts than that.
Is this like an even more autistic case of Pokemon Gen 1 players? Like, an entire group of people who haven't watched past the first 2 seasons of the Simpsons and base everything they know about it off of that?
Im legit curious.
>>
>>84410778
It's not about who actually watches the Simpsons, it's about what's memorable, and there are several season 1 moments like that because it was such a pop culture phenomenon at the time.
>>
>>84407797
That's funny anon! hahaha!
>>
>>84409894
>>84410322
>>84410778
>>84410827
It's referencing how S1 Simpsons seemed very edgy at the time, but seen in a modern context compared to SP, it is almost like child's play
>>
>>84410910

>If I shitpost, that makes you wrong! LOL!

Fuck off, kiddo.
>>
>>84407720
Define "funny"

If you mean "funny" as in "bizarre that this exists" yes
If you mean "funny" as in "humorous" then I suspect your parents were siblings
>>
>>84408607
>>84409685
>>84409715
>>84408401
Because Matt and Trey are old-school weebs and Barbara Streisand hated the show
>>
>>84411006

South Park is humorous at times, though.
>>
>>84406429
Shut up, Boco.
>>
>>84406263
Because the Simpsons and Family Guy are direct competitors with one another. Family Guy was also accused of "plagiarizing" the Simpsons, even though the shows aren't really similar at all.
>>
>>84413934
I remember the episode with all those homer clones, and you could see Peter among them. The Simpsons had become pathetic.
>>
>>84406470
That point was that KotH doesn't get into petty feuds. They work to make the best show they can and have for 13 years (at that point.)

The point of Bart was what Kyle says, that the Simpsons are on a slippery slope to becoming as bad as South Park and that they started a feud with Family Guy first (Simpsons did it!)

As is said on the show, sure FG is turn your brain off humor but people like it and who wants to be preached at all the time? T&M sure are great at fence riding.
>>
>>84406558
They were mad that fans kept comparing SP to FG and they hate FG.
>>
File: 3 ENTIRE EPISODES.jpg (13 KB, 236x301) Image search: [Google]
3 ENTIRE EPISODES.jpg
13 KB, 236x301
>>84406263
Basically the Simpsons writers, as had various other writers, become quite upset at the success of Family Guy and Seth MacFarlane. So much so they wanted to join in in what can only be called one of the pettiest pieces of television produced, and how the funniest part is that Seth nor the Family Guy team really cared because they are well aware of what they produce. This was Family Guys draft rebuttal, and it's hysterical to see how petty the comments are without remembering Trey and Matt created 3 entire episodes of South Park to try and get at Seth MacFarlane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br9DY97zL2Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7r37Am6Ot4
>>
File: 1438031239021.png (381 KB, 798x718) Image search: [Google]
1438031239021.png
381 KB, 798x718
>>84411006
>>
>>84414125
Go to sleep Seth
>>
The fact that Seth didn't board that plane on 9/11 proves there are alternate parralel universes where this didn't happen and he got on that plane, but some invisible force of nature fucking hates us and wants us to suffer.
>>
>>84407720
People talk about how good it is more than fg and Simpsons so I would have to agree
>>
>>84414125
>lel thanks for the publicity, don't really have the time to waste on you

Based Seth, if he were a playing card he'd be the ace of spades
>>
>>84414125
Gotta keep in mind that it takes 6-9 months to do a full episode of Family Guy and only 6 days to complete an episode of South Park

Even if the FG team DID want to retaliate, they'd be going into a losing battle
>>
File: February 20th, 2000.png (516 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
February 20th, 2000.png
516 KB, 720x540
>>84406263
Because The Simpsons had been ripping on Family Guy from the very start, well before South Park entered the ring.

The writers perceived Family Guy as a tasteless, cheap rip-off of The Simpsons (and to be fair, they weren't the only ones who thought this, it was a criticism labeled at the show since the start). Even cutaways used to be a staple of The Simpsons in its early years before Family Guy made it their go-to form of humor.

The Simpsons used cutaways once or twice an episode, to show an event happening in a different location (i.e. Marge mentioning they need a new washer and dryer; cut to basement where washing machine and drier are "racing" across the room about to hit the cat) FG used them as them as a vehicle for dated references, and used them all too frequently.

Of course, the family dynamic, and even the humor was very similar too. It was literally "The Simpsons, but half as clever and twice as edgy!" when it first aired. Even Family Guy itself admitted as much in their crossover episode with the show.

It didn't help that Family Guy was being lauded as stupidly brilliant and The Simpsons was an aging show just past its prime. It also didn't help that its sister show, Futurama, that premiered at the same time was judged harshly compared to Family Guy, with people at the time claiming Family Guy was funnier.

The Simpsons weren't the only ones either: (2006) Trey commented, "What I can tell you that was pretty interesting, was the day after that episode aired, we got flowers from The Simpsons. We got calls from King of the Hill, saying we were doing God's work. It's not just our opinion."

And in the 8th episode of 30 Rock, Liz makes a pros and cons list for all the reasons she should stay or breakup with Dennis. One of the pros being "loves The Simpsons" and one of the cons being "loves Family Guy".

My point being, Family Guy was never loved within the industry itself. The Simpsons was just banging that drum first and loudest.
>>
>>84406263
>Family guy
>simpsoids
>south park
>Sees no connection
Fuck your either 12 or a troll
>>
>>84406429
>modern adult animation is a million times more edgy and dark than Simpsons ever was.
said nobody, ever.
>>
>>84415252
But it's true. Simpsons usually save their gore for Halloween episodes, and their darkest is probably that fantasy sequence where Homer smothers Grandpa after getting into a carwreck and he tells Homer he'll probably have to be taken care of by him the rest of his life. Homer then wakes up to say dreams always end before you get to the good part.
Family Guy blows that kind of edginess out of the water almost once an episode.
>>
File: Smug Dog.jpg (8 KB, 237x240) Image search: [Google]
Smug Dog.jpg
8 KB, 237x240
>>84414125
Suddenly I don't hate Seth as much.

I do love it when creators have spats, makes better pop culture references!
>>
>>84415128

>"What I can tell you that was pretty interesting, was the day after that episode aired, we got flowers from The Simpsons. We got calls from King of the Hill, saying we were doing God's work. It's not just our opinion."

Are you sure this was about the gentle jabs at Family Guy, or was it about the anti-censorship message of the episodes
>>
South Park became good again last season when they started having seasonwide continuity.
Lots of people dropped it so they don't know about that but it's well worth it.
>>
>>84407720
t. Trey's wife's son
>>
>>84414125
It depends. Matt Groening kind of likes Family Guy, Al Jean can't stand it.
>>
>>84407720
Yeah I thought the same when I was a 14 too.
>>
>South Park: YEAH WE HATE FAMILY GUY YOU HATE IT TOO RIGHT SIMPSONS RIGHT? SHOW US YOUR SUPPORT
>Simpsons: fuck off

the Simpsons even made fun of South Park as well.
>>
>/co/ hates South Park
Is this due to the Tumblr runoff?
>>
>>84406558
>>84407041
>The episode commends FG for not being up its own ass with morals and political agendas.
Loving the irony.
>>
>>84416473
Last season was pretty hype and so is Fractured But Whole.
>>
>>84415128
Also the musical bits which were a staple of classic Simpsons.
>>
>>84416391
Though in this case I'm not one to call Groening a hero since if he'd had his way, the Simpsons probably would resemble Family Guy more than what we got.
>>
Family Guy has...nothing. It's not clever, not satirical, the characters are one-dimensional and totally dislikable, the humor is impossible for anyone over 14 to laugh at.
>>
>>84410778
Season 1 had more viewers on initial airing than any subsequent season. It was a big deal
>>
>>84416862
Sure, the show was brand new back then and everyone wanted to see what the fuss was about.
>>
>>84416827
>My Opinion and tastes are declared universal truths.
>>
>>84416663
While it's easy to accuse Family Guy of ripping those off (and they probably did to an extent), it's not completely true since Seth's obsession with old musicals is well known.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.