[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So are cartoons better now than before? http://youtube.com/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 19
File: image.jpg (158 KB, 905x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
158 KB, 905x600
So are cartoons better now than before?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qXpWAO0F7ck

Show like Steven Universe and Gravity Falls push the boundaries of western tv animation. We are now seeing these shows explore themes we've never seen explored on TV before. Not only that, the animation is beyond the stuff of what we had before. (See: SU, Star, SBT)

What are your thoughts?
>>
I agree tb:h. We never got shows like Steven Universe and Gravity Falls that weren't based fully on pushing crap/recycling to the consumer as much as we do now.
>>
Yes but don't let the anti modern cartoon brigade find you
>>
>>84394647
>Clarence
>SU
Fuck it, I'm biting.
>>
>>84394848
Fuck off
>>
No 90's cartoons about LOL BUTTS SO RANDUMB were the height of human entertainment and were created by my generation, the best generation, even though we were kids back then.
>>
Trip Tank is pretty great.
>>
File: 20160709_100238.png (514 KB, 850x450) Image search: [Google]
20160709_100238.png
514 KB, 850x450
>>84394647
>more than half of these cartoons just ripoff each other or make references to other stuff to compensate for lack of original content
>some just pander to/shoehorn liberal sensibilities for the sake of capturing certain markets, rather than actually making insightful statements
>...and if they DO want to present something "insightful", they just retcon a character trait or piece of information that was "totally always there if you knew where to look"
>majority of cartoons are lazy emulations of the already-lazy calarts style
>...which diehard fans will dismiss despite all those art comparisons on the Internet that prove them wrong

AND THE BIG ONE:

>no Loud House on this list
>>
>>84395003
>a statement cannot be insightful if I do not agree with it
>>
>inb4 "abloo bloo Stephen universe a bloo bloo whorra abloo bloo pastel whorses

Name 20 cartoons that have been made since 2010 without naming these,
>>
>>84394647
YES, NO, MAYBE I DON'T KNOW
>>
>>84395003
I would complain about Loud House too, but something tells me this image was made before it was released.
>>
>>84395088
>>84395003
Or maybe TLH is just overrated garbage lolifags like to pretend is good?
>>
>>84394647
Clarence is trash that doesent deserve it's spot in the large images
>>
Are my eyes failing me or there's no GLTAS?
>>
>no Uncle Grandpa
DROPPED
>>
>>84395166
I like it because it's a nice, comfy cartoon with genuinely funny moments, usually followed by a pretty warm and fuzzy ending. The fact that most of the characters are female means nothing to me.
>>
Yet Cartoon Network still wants to push toys for their cartoons more than anything.

Old fogies are behind the times.

Put their characters on a shirt and it'll sell way more.
>>
I like to go on cartoon boards and complain about shows I never even watched.

True
False
>>
>>84395228
>comfy

Discarded
>>
Yes, we live in a new golden age of cartoons, it doesn't matter howmuch nostalgia fags like to deny it
>>
>>84395266
>golden age

0/10
>>
>>84395220
UG is too based for this list.
>>
>no Tron: Uprising
>>
>>84394647
Replace TMNT and 7D with Mystery Inc and Voltron and this list is pretty good.
>>
>>84395003
>>84395088
TLH is under Wander
>>
>>84394848
>>84395193

Do people who don't rate Clarence not have childhoods or were tgey just rich fags?

Or were they insecure about their shitty childhoods?
>>
>>84395915
People who like Clarence didn't have a childhood and try to project on to it. That's probably why they're watching children's shows in the first place.
>>
>>84395907
Oh damn I barely noticed that.
>>
File: 51564267_p5_master1200.jpg (508 KB, 1200x500) Image search: [Google]
51564267_p5_master1200.jpg
508 KB, 1200x500
>Steven Universe
>Gravity Falls
>Not only that, the animation is beyond the stuff of what we had before.
> (See: SU, Star, SBT)
What, exactly, makes their animation so special? Legend of Korra was better animated than everything else on the list. Everything else is pretty standard stuff.

>We are now seeing these shows explore themes we've never seen explored on TV before.
Like what? Reply "same-sex relationships" at your own peril.
>>
>>84396128
Were you the same trip fag who was getting flustered over gays in the other thread.
>>
>>84394700
>I agree tb:h
>tb:h
Why "tb:h" that could not possibly have been a typo.
>>
>>84395044
>a statement cannot be profound if isn't written-in after the fact
>>
File: BUTT CHEEKS.png (486 KB, 675x415) Image search: [Google]
BUTT CHEEKS.png
486 KB, 675x415
Also I just realized SheZow is in OP image. Is that implied as an "honourable mention"? Because I remember it was pretty bland and is only remembered for the fact it has a boy in drag in it.

Does The Clone Wars not count since it began in 2008?

>>84395003
Loud House has not been out for very long.
>>
>>84396157
Because honest is what subset of "to be"ing he is.
>>
File: 1436229833872.png (45 KB, 235x301) Image search: [Google]
1436229833872.png
45 KB, 235x301
>>84396376
Cry about it, 'lil bitch.

I'm surprised more people aren't bitching about LoK being on there though. Or about the fact that we've got 3 1/2 more years of the 2010s left so it might be a bit premature to be throwing out "Best of" awards.
>>
>>84396490
Don't reply retard
>>
Definitely. Anyone denying it is a bit too stuck in the past or has been watching some shitty cartoons and comparing them to BTAS or Recess as if comparing cartoons that represent their own eras.

As an example, for the shit that Adventure Time (deservingly, if that is a word even) gets, it really took the media to places it had never been before (or that i had never seen). I would rather watch a bad AT episode than a second of Biker Mice From Mars and other "gems" that played daily at the time. Cartoons started as entertainment that had occasional individuals who were passionate enough to raise it to almost art tier, who eventually made super classics such as oldskool Disney and Tom&Jerry.

They became pretty comercial after WW2, and as they became more commercial the cartoons really didn't need the incredible art or thoughtful writing, because a kid isn't going to appreciate those things. The consumer is always right.

I think we are witnessing the fallout from the commercial generation of cartoons, because as years pass, people become more aware of the products they are consuming. Nobody fucking knew what a character arc or other technicalities were when watching Popeye or Disney as a child. Now, in the information era, you can know this and so much more, it is amazing. People want to know the creation process of the product to understand better why they like or hate it, or to give better criticism, or because they like knowledge and they want it (the fucking internet provides everything!!!!!!!). People who grew up with Xmen or Rocko now know what was wrong with their childhood cartoons and aspiring cartoonists are able to avoid the common mistakes (and hopefully stumble upon new mistakes which will improve the next generation of chartoons, which is already happening with ambitious shows such as AT, GF and SU).
>>
>>84396631
>and hopefully stumble upon new mistakes which will improve the next generation of chartoons, which is already happening with ambitious shows such as AT, GF and SU).
i meant that these shows are making new mistakes, not that they are avoiding new mistakes
>>
>>84395166
I like it, and I don't deal with waifu stuff. It's just the "fandom" that does that nonsense. It's good on its own merits and feels like an old-fashioned show. I enjoy Lincoln's willpower and decisions to man up, even when it puts him at a bad situation for the sake of other people. Also the jokes are good.
>>
>>84395915
I don't like Clarence because it has an ugly ass artstyle. The gay kissing scene was also a big turnoff.
>>
>>84395915
>>84395949
I honestly hate the majority of the characters. They're all terrible for me, except maybe Sumo's dad.
>>
File: BIG BAIT.png (237 KB, 351x358) Image search: [Google]
BIG BAIT.png
237 KB, 351x358
>>84394647
>>
On average, definitely.
But I think the absolute best shows of the 90's and 00's were better than the absolute bests of the 10's.
That said, the 10's aren't over.
>>
>>84396951
Oh and on another point, the absolute worst shows of the 10's are better than the absolute worst of the 90's and 00's.
Especially considering the absolute worst of the 90's and 00's were just used to peddle toys.
>>
>>84396585
they're the same person.
>>
>>84397009
Breadwinners nullifies your point
>>
>>84394647
On average, no. There are more bad shows in the 10's than in the 00's or the 90's. Not saying that does years didn't have their own shitty cartoon, but they weren't wide spread either.
>>
Animation is worse than its been in a while
>>
>>84396768
>>84396794
Fair enough.

I pernally think it's ok for the slice of life show that CN needs everyonce in a while but it could be a bit more creative in children's antics.

It wants to get to that Ed, Edd and Eddy plain but it won't right now. If ever.

But I do find myself enjoying some of the eps.
>>
The writing for new cartoons is pretty much universally inferior to old cartoons. The comedy, the dialogue, the plots, it doesnt rise to the heights that some older cartoons pulled off constantly.

Theres still no show that manages to be even in the same class as Classic SpongeBob. In fact, the number of contenders has lowered.

Theres no show that manages to be as subversive as Invader Zim or Ren and Stimpy.

Theres no show that manages to be as honest and real as Hey Arnold.

Theres no show that manages to be as stylish as Samurai Jack.

Must I go on? It seems today that shows start out great but quickly stumble over themselves because they want to do everything instead of focusing. You have comedies that want to become dramas or action. SpongeBob never needed lore to stay interesting. PPG never needed drama to make the characters compelling. EEnE never needed fucking character development to be good.
>>
>>84395166
It's a actual good show with cute girls as a plus also people overrate it cause Nick hasn't had a good track record with their cartoons lately
>>
>>84398708
>with cute girls

You just outted yourself
>>
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 1180x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 1180x750
>>84394647
No.
>dude lore lmao
>>
>>84395166
Daily reminder that overrated does not always mean bad, okay?
>>
>>84394647
god what the fuck is that image
>>
>>84395166
We see you
>>
File: image.jpg (99 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99 KB, 768x1024
A bunch of decent cartoons and some shitty ones does not make a golden age.
It's not the 40's or 50's, or 90's. Hell, even the 2000's were better.
That being said, Lucy is cute.
>>
>>84394647
>We are now seeing these shows explore themes we've never seen explored on TV before.

Okay, I like both SU and Gravity Falls but they haven't really explored themes that haven't been on TV before. If we're talking about TV as a general you are flat out wrong but I'm assuming you're talking about cartoons specifically. Nothing SU has done in terms of it's story telling is groundbreaking and most of the themes it explores I've seen before. The only thing SU has done is probably have an implied lesbian relationship but this doesn't really matter since the characters are genderless anyways.

>Not only that, the animation is beyond the stuff of what we had before. (See: SU, Star, SBT)

Maybe, but most SU episodes rarely utilize animation besides characters walking/talking. Its only saving grace most of the time are the amazing backgrounds. Also SBT is just Tatrakovsky magic.
>>
>>84395840
>Uncle grandpa
>Better then adventure time, Rick and Morty, mlp, regular show, gumball, Bob's burgers, young justice, star vs, wander over yonder and Dan vs
How can one man's taste be that shit
>>
>>84403337
More like based.
Uncle Grandpa is true cartoon kino.
>>
>>84394647
I stopped watching cartoons for years so I mean they must be okay now if I'm watching some of them again.
>>
>>84395003
Loud house is on the list it's just that the bottom images are fucking tiny I can't make out most of them.
I imagine they all deserve a spot on the large images more then clarance though
>>
>>84403355
Shows about literal retards suit the audience that enjoy said shows
>>
I'm not sure they're better or worse, but they do feel rarer. Near-solid days of a single popular series, like SpongeBob and TTG, just wouldn't have happened twenty years ago. If I had to compare the 1990s and the 2010's, I would say the quality and number of hits are roughly equal, but the 90s were padded out by a lot of short-lived trash.

>>84396631
This is a salient point, but I'm not sure if new mistakes are a direct result of creators avoiding the old ones. They're just drawing from different sources and different inspirations. Magical girl shows, moe SoL anime, Crumb-style underground comix -- not necessarily better, just different. We're definitely getting some more novel and creative mixes nowadays, which I'd list as a plus, and the spectrum of different outlets is much richer than it was back then.
>>
>>84404562
Wow you're getting pretty desperate.
>>
>>84396894
>>84394848
>Anything I don't like is bait
Pathetic.
>>
>>84405250
They don't enforce it because it's fun to watch you sperg it's one of the few good things about our moderation
>>
File: baitofgenesis.png (148 KB, 2500x1645) Image search: [Google]
baitofgenesis.png
148 KB, 2500x1645
>>84394647
I like how you have to list literally every cartoon you can think of to muster up twenty for that time frame.

Also
>Steven Universe and Gravity Falls push the boundaries of western tv animation
Fucking stop with this meme. Gravity Falls tried to set up a psuedoARG but then Hirsch didn't feel the need to expand upon it. Steven Universe is a nice show, but it just touches upon basic themes of relationships and has melodrama and vagueness that convince people it's more insightful than it actually is.
>>
>>84403337
But that's true. Except maybe Dan and Wander.
>>
>>84406663
It's not neglect if it's delibrite
>>
>>84395915
Dude, I don't know why people hate Clarence. It's not some epic coming of age story like Steven Universe, nor a grand retelling of classic literature, but not all cartoons have to be to be enjoyed.
I think they're the same people who refuse to watch that episode of SU with the Uncle Grandpa crossover. They can't take their cartoons if they're not super serious.
Sometimes the characters CAN be unlikable, but that's not a reason to hate it.
I really liked the dreams episode with Carl Sagan. Tuckered Boys was fun. Lil Buddy was upsetting.
>>
>>84401821
>>84394647
00s toons were excellent from 2000-2005 but then sucked 2006-2009

In general, the 00s had to be the most schizophrenic decade ever with the tone constantly shifting. In 2000-2004, we had the "x-treme skater" era, in 2004-2007 we had the "emo Hot Topic" era, and in 2008-2011 we had the "Bieber electropop" era.

The last decade that seemed to be consistent, I think, was the 80s.
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 248x245) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 248x245
>>84411935
Barneyfag, how do we make cartoons great again?
>>
>>84394647

I don't think Doug gives enough credit to the 90s/early 2000s period. Especially since he hates Doug and Hey Arnold! (and probably As Told by Ginger if he ever saw it) because they were "boring."

But Over the Garden Wall and Gravity Falls are enough to prove that we're experiencing a second golden age.
>>
>>84394647
This image really should have been larger so the smaller pictures in the bottom could be made out better
>>
>>84411995
Doug shows how little he knows about modern cartoons. He only mentions the shows he's vloged about and says nothing about the best cartoons from the 90s.
>>
>>84394647
No
>>
>>84394647
>Reddit and Memey
>>
>>84394647
>So are cartoons better now than before?
No. The 90s and early 00s are straight up better.
>>
>>84417612
Oh yeah, because I'd sure love to watch Coconut Fred and Butt-Ugly Martians over Annoying Orange and Problem Solverz.
>>
>>84413968
it took him ages to get around to actually watching AtLA despite being told to watch it for several years.
>>
>>84395086
CAN YOU REPEAT THE QUESTION?
>>
>when the mod just gives up

Neat.
>>
>>84394647
>7D
>Clarence

>>84395003
Again, Loud House isn't even better than modern FoP. Its fine but overrated
>>
>>84394647
What is this picture for? Ants?
>>
>>84409258
That's just how it works.

You can't compare the early 80s (which is like the late 70s bis) to the rest of the decade.
>>
>>84394647
>citing LoK's out of fucking nowhere lesbian relationship as impressing young children.

I don't think Doug realizes that the only people who watched LoK from Season 3 onwards were teens/adults since the show wasn't even on TV at the time.
>>
File: 1466746292735.gif (729 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
1466746292735.gif
729 KB, 267x200
>>84394647
>Tron: Uprising completely absent
>the disjointed mess that was Korra and memeshit with genuinely autistic fanbases in "Top 20"
Your list is bad, OP.
>>
File: B3KAdR9CIAEs_zg.jpg (41 KB, 592x658) Image search: [Google]
B3KAdR9CIAEs_zg.jpg
41 KB, 592x658
Let me see...of the ones on this list that I've watched regularly:

-Adventure Time: Great concept, but ruined by nearly every character acting terribly autistic in an attempt to be quirky and cute.

-MLP: basic young girl's show with appropriately girlish content. Don't see the appeal at all, but it could be worse.

-Regular Show: Lovable characters. Formulaic as hell. It evens out.

-Amazing World of Gumball: Dumb dad, scheming son, intelligent sister, strict, stressed out mom, wacky students at the school...meh, seen it all before.

-Bob's Burgers: The voice acting sucks. KOTH did the Only Sane Man thing better. fuck this show...

-Young Justice: It's a standard superhero show for the most part. Too few memorable characters, but a good timekiller.

-TMNT 2012: It's your basic Ninja Turtles. I like Ninja Turtles. Shipping sucks, though.

-Dan Vs.: Dan is charismatic as fuck and it's fun to see him fight the system. Chris and Elise are superfluous next to him. I find it comfy.

-Black Dynamite: I remember it being hit or miss. When it was good, it was genius. but a bad episode was awkward as hell. Good outweighs the bad, though.

So, armed with this limited knowledge of modern cartoons....eh. Better than the mid-2000s.
>>
>>84422114
Sonic Boom is actually pretty good.
>>
>>84394647
>Show like Steven Universe and Gravity Falls push the boundaries of western tv animation

To absolute dogshit? Only land whales like those but I guess US does have many of those.
>>
>>84418830
YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME NOW
>>
>>84423210
Never watched SU but I think Gravity Falls is better than 90% of the shit I used to watch as a kid or teen. Only modern cartoon I watched to be honest.
>>
>>84424571

That's because you have been brainwashed by tumblr my little girl.
>>
>>84425154
Hey, at least I'm not judging a cartoon by it's fanbase mate. I watched the whole thing I didn't see any SJW pleasing stuff in it. I thought it was good.
>>
>>84424571
Lol
>>
File: 90sWiki.png (636 KB, 1250x650) Image search: [Google]
90sWiki.png
636 KB, 1250x650
Reminder that the 90s is the best decade for animation
>>
Nah man the 90s rock
>>
I don;t think cartoons have gotten better in my opinion I think they've gotten worse
>>
I don;t think cartoons have gotten better in my opinion I think they've gotten worse with shows like TTG Uncle Grandpa Sanjay and Craig Allen Gregory Modern Spongebob Modern Family Guy and Breadwinners (a.k.a The Worst Cartoon of All Time) and these are all in the 2010s
>>
>>84423210
>Just cause I like GF and SU i'm a landwhale
Oh, sorry I forgot that having a different opinion was illegal.
>>
Fuck the 2010s the 90s rock
>>
>>84427115
so you ignore the good modern shows and only focus on the bad ones

I mean most people don't actually remember the bad shows that bombed in the early 2000s and late 90s so the 2010s will always look worse if you compare the worst of today to the best of 10 years ago
>>
File: 1467925366646.jpg (77 KB, 764x374) Image search: [Google]
1467925366646.jpg
77 KB, 764x374
>>84427197
>half of the shows aren't from the 90's
>>
The 2010s suck the 90s rule
>>
>>84394647
I'd say the quality of certain shows very much compares to older stuff. However, there used to be a greater volume of good stuff released in shorter periods of time.
>>
>>84420818
The whole 80s seemed pretty consistent from what I've seen, possibly the last consistent decade ever
>>
>>84403355
>true cartoon kino
And I'm in confirmation you're trolling.

The Kino meme is from what I've seen mostly spread by contrarians who try to justify watching awful to mediocre tier shows and movies by claiming they're "deep" and that "plebs" (A.K.A haters) don't fully understand what they're watching. Just look at the Batman v Superman threads from around the time the movie came out to know what I'm talking about.

Not saying UG is a bad cartoon in any metrics, just saying you're methods of saying its underrated are kinda baity.
>>
File: 1997-2014.png (548 KB, 842x1070) Image search: [Google]
1997-2014.png
548 KB, 842x1070
>>84394647
>>
>>84430871
k
>>
File: image.jpg (118 KB, 500x657) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118 KB, 500x657
>>84430701
>>
>>84430701
Newer one has more character to it.

>>84431245
Older one has more character to it.

It's almost like cartoons can't be judged solely on when they came out.
>>
Cartoons today suck
>>
>>84394647
That is one terrible quality image.
>>
>>84420818
To me the '70s just seem like a transition from the '60s to the '80s desu.
>>
>>84394647
>So are cartoons better now than before?
Define "before now".

Disney was putting out some really awesome stuff in the 80s/90s, between Ducktales, Darkwing, Animaniacs, and several others. There were a bunch of good ones scattered throughout the years as well, if we're picking and choosing.

Cartoon Network was really big at the end of the 90s. I'm not sure how many were that outstanding, but overall it was pretty good.

On the other hand, while there is a lot of nice stuff out today - a large amount of variety is certainly welcome - I'm not sure how many are that outstanding. I'd probably name less than a half-dozen on your list which are really great, although I've certainly not watched them all. That's less that what I enjoyed back in the 80s, although I'd say the number of quality titles would probably be about the same.
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.