[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>It's a "pesticides are the devil, just let your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1
File: 1.jpg (41 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
41 KB, 500x375
>It's a "pesticides are the devil, just let your crops get ruined and everyone starve" episode
>>
>it's a "Anon becomes a pawn of The Beast" episode
>>
>>84381682
>It's a "Anon doesn't understand the wide ranging ecological impact of pesticide use and wants to feel smart by showing what a corporate whore he is" episode
>>
>>84382781
A) it's us or them, dude. we need to wipe mosquitoes out NOW.
actually we needed to do it decades ago, but i guess black lives only matter when they have guns pointed at cops, not when they're dying by droves from malaria. just because some moron decided, with no real evidence, that DDT thinned eggshells, we just stopped using it.
B) if you're not a retard with them, there's no ecological impact. if you ARE, then not using pesticides doesn't prevent ecological impact.
>>
>it's a "hank wants to live in a romanticized version of the 1940s" episode
>>
>>84381682
no. it is just another episode where Peggy shows her incompetence and hubris.
>>
>>84382890
>we need to wipe mosquitoes out NOW.
Why exactly?
>>
>>84383028
what part of 'single greatest cause of human death' are you having trouble with?
>>
>>84383046

Let's not forget all the mutant children in Brazil in the past few years
>>
>>84382781
I prefer stable food supplies. Plants have been using pesticides for millions of years. They do harm beyond the scope of keeping bugs from eating certain plants, but it's a cot benefit analysis and the pesticides win.
>>
>>84382987
More of a classic example of growing a garden in North Central Texas in the hundred mile zone where you have every pest from the North East and West in a single place, the great transition. None of those organic tricks work there because there's just too much shit from everywhere.

It's the negative end of the good stuff about the massive variety of plants and animals where East meets West. You got your Eastern Cottontail and your Jackrabbit, but you got the swamp tiger mosquito and greater brown mosquito too. That applies to spiders, scorpions, aphids, assassin bugs, plague proportions of ten types of grasshoppers and all the rest.

Seven dust is pretty much minimum for anything that isn't onions, carrots, cilantro or pepper bushes.
>>
>>84382781

That didn't go how you planned huh, friend
>>
>>84382890
>muh "DDT would've stopped malaria" meme
>>
>>84382890
>we need to wipe mosquitoes out now
thats what spiders are for, faggot
>>
>>84383437
Not an argument
>>
>>84383501
>not bats
get on my mammalian level
>>
>>84382936
>Anonymous 07/09/16(Sat)22:00:01 No.84382936▶
>>it's a "hank wants to live in a romanticized version of the 1940s" episode
Hank's father, boss, and friends are all to some degree scumbags and degenerates. Where the hell did he get his weird moral code from, because it's sure as hell not his peers or role models.
>>
>>84383046
Number one cause of human death is not the same as being the most likely cause of human extinction.

Sounds like a non-issue to me.
>>
>>84383571
Probably his church or scouts.
>>
>>84383571
Probably television
>>
>>84382781
While certainly some pesticides are harmful, on the whole there's a clear benefit to their use. It's fallacious to say you simply shouldn't use any at all.
>>
>>84383515
>Not an argument
Not an argument Stefan

DDT wasn't even banned completely outside the USA, they just started using other pesticides because DDT was, contrary to your claim, becoming ineffective.
>>
>>84383046
White guilt has already ballooned the population of niggers and you want to make it worse? If you want to reduce suffering then you should be pushing mass sterilization for third worlders.
>>
>>84382890
remember the Bees disappearing thing? That happened because of loosened regulations on nicotene based pesticides. Monsanto and similar companies are using lobbies to delay the banning of the chemicals that, if not caused, the exacerbated colony collapse syndrome.

If the honey bee goes extinct we're looking at the destruction of modern agriculture as we know it. But it's fine as long as chemical R&D companies flirt with the extinction of an absolutely vital animal so they can pad their quarterly profits.

The issue isn't that pesticides are bad or good, like any modern technology if they're used intelligently they can make everyone's live's better.

the issue is that we are going full retard with them. Have for years, but regulations on substances that have wideranging ecological impact and may very well threaten not just our way of life, but our very lives, are bad for some reason.

And fuck BLM. Yeah some cops are out of control and need to be taken down and society could use some social change but the last thing we need are what I suspect are literal retards making fools of themselves in public and using someone else's tragedy to make themselves feel important. (nevermind the times BLM chimps out when some idiot commits suicide by cop because he's either too high or too stupid to understand actions and consequences)
>>
>>84383571
Baby boomer who was taught (if not by his parents) society at the time that his parents' generation was the last great one or something.
>>
>it's a "Peggy is justified in being an incompetent bitch" Episode
>>
What even is or isn't an organic form of pest control anyway?

Why is using pyrethroids and Bti considered inorganic when one is an organic substance and the other is a literally living organism?
>>
>>84383699
Dude, Bureau of Land Management is public land. It only matters in the West and is 90+% ranching. I think you mean the Department of Agriculture or the Department of the Interior or even the Environmental Protection Agency.

Just realized you were talking about Black Lives Matter after I wrote all that. Thought you were talking about those ranchers a few months back with all that suicide by cop stuff.
>>
>>84383734
Because hippies never took chemistry.
>>
>>84383734
Organic farmers actually use both of those.

Organic farming in general is mostly a brilliant marketing thing. Organic foods aren't healthier, don't use fewer pesticides, and aren't ecologically safer than normal agriculture.
>>
>>84383734
Organic in that context usually means non-manufactured or non-engineered. The actual rules that let you call something organic on packaging are filled with loopholes and weird clauses. And yes it's fucking stupid. Like any farmer will tell you. Nitrogen is nitrogen. It doesn't matter where it comes from. And it doesn't change flavor or freshness like people seem to have sold themselves on. Trying to talk responsible farming with organic hippies is like how preservationists ruin everything conservationists try to do.

But basically this >>84383781, except I'd call it less brilliant than a sad statement on the gullibility of a large section of the population.
>>
>>84383858
I mean "brilliant" in the sense that they've been tricking and fearmongering people into buying billions worth of organic food.

Not that there aren't problems with Big Agriculture, but at least no one outright lies about them.
>>
>>84383781
Maybe it's just a certain population of farmers then.

The reason my town doesn't do jack shit for mosquito control is because the surrounding organic farms will cry about their crops being ruined if we spray anything
>>
>>84381682
Is there no middle ground? Pesticides are really the only thing that makes mass-production for the average consumer's needs possible but it tends to not taste as good as the organic stuff.
>>
>>84385665
>not as good as organic
Is that really true? I've had home grown tomatoes and they tasted quite good but I suspect it's because of the level of personal care put into growing them rather than the lack of pesticides
>>
>>84383699
nicotine-based pesticides are the best and smartest ones dude.
>>
>>84385983
I guess I shouldn't say "organic". I guess "not mass produced" would be more accurate. Home-grown or stuff bought from a farmer's market tends to taste better than what you might buy at Walmart.
>>
"organic" is just how farmers boost their profits with imperfect produce
>>
>>84385983
Home grown allows you to personally pick when and how to harvest your produce. On factory farming you do not get that option, you must ready plants for transport, store and process them, and you need to clean and prep them for delivery. Keep in mind this has to happen on a global scale heading from countries away to your store shelf AND the destination is not always the same since the price of produce fluctuates and thus so do the buyers.
>>
>>84383571
Cotton Hill was not a scumbag. How dare you disrespect the dead.
>>
>>84385983
A lot of "organic" food is just as industrialized as normal farms. They use pesticides, too.

It's a marketing buzzword.
>>
>>84388705
at least when it first came out it was
they have some restrictions now but they're laughable
>>
>>84387467
>Trading up on wives
>Not a scumbag
>>
>>84382890
Fuck the cops, bootlicker.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.