[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much money people make with comics? I once read that DC paid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: 7540_be30_.jpg (80 KB, 900x1157) Image search: [Google]
7540_be30_.jpg
80 KB, 900x1157
How much money people make with comics? I once read that DC paid Snyder 120 dollars per page, which isn't much. Considering he is one of their top writers, then the artists, colorists etc must get even less.

And how does it compare to creator-owned work like Image?
>>
As far as I know you don't get paid per page for creator-owned, but by copies sold. I think Image takes a certain cut of sales and you pocket the rest, which if it really takes off like Saga that could be fairly lucrative. However it can also be pretty rough if you don't. Frankly the entire market is really rough on its creators, comics don't sell very well and artists/writers get screwed pretty bad regularly. It's why some decide to move on to film or television, there's more money in that.
>>
Artist get paid more than everyone else, colorist and letterers get paid the least. Writers,colorist,letterers,inkers can work on multiple books, artists can't unless they're Bagley or Henderson fast.

Image doesn't pay you a page rate, you only earn money if your book makes money after Image takes it flat fee.
>>
not enough
>>
>>84380546
>colorists and letterers get paid the least
That's so depressing, both of those can make or break a comic as much as any other element. Frankly there's no part of a comic that isn't important, from writing to coloring, line work, lettering, etc. It's all pretty much on par in terms of the quality of the final product.
>>
http://sktchd.com/longform/whats-the-life-of-a-comic-artist-like/
>artists love Valiant
>>
>>84380394
https://fairpagerates.com/year-in-review-2015-survey-results/
Not as much as you think

And Seeley said on twitter that writers, especially freelancers, often need 3-4+ ongoings to support themselves enough, especially if they don't have a good selling Image book.
>>
>>84380604
>4.3% trans
Survey discarded
>>
>>84380653
I sincerely hope you're joking.
>>
>>84380546
How much does an artist make?
>>
>>84380749
see
>>84380604
>>84380619
>>
>>84380619
>gender
Non Binary – 3
Genderfluid – 2
Genderqueer – 2

>sexuality
Gay – 3
Bisexual – 18
Pansexual – 3
Asexual – 3
Queer – 6
Doesn’t Know – 1
>>
>>84380604
>I identify my gender as retarded: 13.1%
>>
>>84380604
>>84380619
All I got from this is that Boom sucks
>>
>>84380619
Man, i hope Blue Water get burned to the ground
>>
>>84380855
Basically, try to get a job at Valiant or Dark Horse (the big two are too exclusive and the other companies are fucking utter shite).
Image is good only if you have a lot of contacts, superior writing skills and a liberal mindset.
>>
>>84380619
>Avatar – I just wouldn’t
>>
File: 1416582370018.jpg (104 KB, 1280x842) Image search: [Google]
1416582370018.jpg
104 KB, 1280x842
>>84380619
>>84380604
I've seen these before but it still fucking sucks as a prospective comics writer/artist. I'd like to think I could make it, I've got a lot of other skills besides just illustration (web, graphic, and print design for example, in addition to photography, art shows, and even a bit of directing and audio design experience) but my dream job is making art for a living, and most often that comes in the form of writing and illustrating comics. I've got so many ideas, stories, thumbnails and sketches for up to two dozen different graphic novels and ongoing series but I'm just not sure how they'll sell since they're much more "artsy," none are cape-centric, most aren't even fantasy or scifi. I know there's little market for them in the mainstream but I'm still so passionate about them I can't simply not do them.

Why are creators considered such trash today by publishers and consumers? It seems there is very little appreciation for creators in the grand scheme of things. Hell, many artists are discouraged from doing anything in the arts because it's not seen as a "real career" in favor of strictly STEM jobs. Why isn't there a fucking union or guild for this shit?
>>
>>84381437
>consumers
Makes me sad too. Comics are my main hobby, and i wish the people involved in making them had more recognition. I do my part by buying and recommending, and sometimes i say some nice words to my favorite creators on twitter, but the industry is slowly dying.
>>
>>84381588
Anyone know how the pay is in France? I've thought about learning French anyway but it might be better as a comics artist to work there.
>>
>>84380394
I used to imagine they get payed a percentage, like the guy who played Obi Wan
>>
>>84380394
>How much money people make with comics?
This goes into some detail on the subject:
http://kierongillen.tumblr.com/post/121756273497/market-maven-is-the-wicked-the-divine-in
>>
>>84381654
comics doesn't make anything like enough to be throwing gross points around

>>84380394
if you were getting 120/page that'd be 2400 a month, gross

federal minimum wage is currently $7.25/hr; on a 40-hour week that's about 1250 gross a month without overtime

if you were getting 120/page on a 20 page book and putting out three titles a month, you'd be making 7200, almost 6 times minimum wage; the US real median household income is about 4500/month, so you'd be earning more than average (and that's before counting your spouse, if you have one, and any earnings they may have)

you could also make a certain amount of money if you were a name writer by appearing at cons and other media-relevant outlets, where you could receive an appearance fee or simply earn money by signing copies of your work or posing for pictures for a small remuneration; say each fan meet takes 5 minutes and pays 10 dollars, that's 12 an hour for 120/hour, or 1655% what you'd have earned for the same amount of time working a minimum wage job

obviously you can't sustain that level of earning across the year, but that's how freelancing goes - you make a lot of money and spread it out to cover your living expenses

at Image you might appear to make more per book, but your pay would depend on orders - whereas if you were contracted for 6 20-page issues on a Big 2 book you'd get paid a flat rate of 14400, with Image you'd be paid per sale (but sales only happen if the book gets orders from retailers) and the percentage of cover price you received would be high compared to the volume of likely sales, but you'd still probably end up with less money overall for the same amount of work unless you sold huge numbers

as Image doesn't usually run paid ads, you might also find yourself with more pages to fill (as most comic books only have about 20 story pages, but many more pages of ads), which lowers your earnings because you need to do more work to get an issue out, and only completed issues pay
>>
File: 1404762174699.png (65 KB, 355x328) Image search: [Google]
1404762174699.png
65 KB, 355x328
>>84380619
>“I will work with anyone that does not have artwork with nudity or profanity in their comic content.”
>>
>>84382189
Very interesting and informative reading.
>>
>>84380604
>cis
>other
the fuck are they talking about

if they want to measure how many of them are transexual why label the graph as i identify as why is this even a pie

it should be a simple table
>percentage of male writers
>percentage of those writers who are transsexual
>percentage of female writers
>percentage of those who are transsexual

cis there makes no sense and there are no other fucking genders your male or female

do they not know how data works
>>
>>84380619
i find it interesting that despite boom aparently having horrible editors everybody seems to like them as people
>>
>>84383917
also it hardly feels fair to blame dc for what happened to bill finger they hated the situation to
>>
>>84383774
this one also had that shit but at least they dident put it right at the start
>>84380619
>>
>>84380619
could be fun to try and work out who made what statement
all the ones that reak of sjw should be fairy easy as theres not as much there to narrow down from
>>
>>84380619
surprised theres not more about idw there i would have thought somebody would have something to say about the way they avoid criticism
>>
>>84380619
>CA - The Publisher ends up being the worst
HA
>>
>>84384181
>“Marvel – for secret reasons and also if you give work to Nathan Edmondson after finding out about his shit I won’t work for you and also more secret reasons. DC – Shielding sex harassers, secret reasons.”
Kot. Hands fucking down. I'd bet every single dollar I have that it'd be Kot.

And I'd be fucking right
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.