[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has Jean ever really had a character? What I mean is, has she
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Goddess_Phoenix_I.jpg (95 KB, 659x1000) Image search: [Google]
Goddess_Phoenix_I.jpg
95 KB, 659x1000
Has Jean ever really had a character?

What I mean is, has she ever had any defined traits as a person that didn't revolve around other people wanting to fuck her or the Phoenix force popping up? She seems like she's just basically a blank slate. In the silver age stuff she's just "the girl" and doesn't even get a backstory like the four guys do. In the Claremont revival she turns into Phoenix and dies to give Scott angst. Then it gets fuzzy for me since I didn't read a lot of the later 80s and 90s stuff until Morrison's run where again she has pretty much no personality compared to the other members of the cast. I find it really odd that even Morrison can't give her any form of defined identity outside of the Phoenix. You can tell he's got a good idea of Emma's personality when she and Jean are bitchfighting in that run, but Jean just comes off as a cypher.

So has she ever had a real personality, and if so what is it? Is Scott's attraction to her purely physical, or did they ever have something deeper? Could she fill any form of story role or is she doomed to just be a recurring plot device and leftover of the silver age?
>>
>>84377838
The most personality she has is in Louise Simonson's X-Factor

> dies to give Scott angst
Jean died because it was the only way her story as The Phoenix could end. It wasn't a case of " we'll kill the girlfriend to make the boyfriend sad"
>>
>>84378082
>Louise Simonson X Factor
Quoted for the truth, best Jeen I've read in years
>>
Sanctimonious bully
>>
>>84378082
>>84378139
Louise Simonson did everything in her power to help turn around a crap editorially mandated situation without fucking Chris Claremont over.
I think it's from the time spent editing Uncanny that she got a decent handle on the characters themselves. Also, her husband's art (while he was penciling X-Factor) was a great addition to it.

And, yeah. X-Factor Jean and Phoenix Jean are really the only times she gets more than "cursory veteran psionic" as a personality trait post-new team. I remember so little of her in the 90s, it's unreal. Even though I like Jean, I'm glad that they've mostly kept her in the ground. Teen Jean was a slap in the face on a lot of levels.
>>
>>84378892
I liked her in The Adventure of Cyclops and Phenix minis, but, yeah, she was still a pretty dry character.
>>
>>84378892
Teen Jean is here very own animal, a bratty and rebelious girl that sees herself as a hotshot even tough she has a lot to live up to. I liked that re interpretation during Bendis run and it's an interesting albeit controversial addition to her Mythos, then Lemire came and erased everything that made her interesting in first place and gave us vanilla Jean that's not interesting at all
>>
>>84378082

Actually originally Claremont intended Jean to live after Phoenix saga. Jim Shooter forced him to kill her
>>
Kind. Low-key flirty. Tempestuous. Furiously righteous when she feels wronged.

Classically heroic and giving.
>>
>>84377838

ejsus christ those tiddies
>>
I wonder why feminist are not angry to what happened to jean
>>
>>84383353
Which happening do you mean?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.