[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is this show aimed at? I used to watch Voltron back in the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (199 KB, 620x420) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
199 KB, 620x420
Who is this show aimed at? I used to watch Voltron back in the early 90s, admitedly it wasn't my favorite show, but I had some fond memories of it. I wasn't exactly stoked when I heard of the reboot, but decided to give it a shot after all the positive reactions. So I turned on first episode the other day and by the 45 minute mark I was so bored I simply stopped watching.
The character designs are uninteresting, the art is ok at best, the animation is nothing special, the plot is contrived and the diallogue is cheesy as fuck.

Was this show aimed at a new generation of fans? Is it aimed at nostalgia trippers? I don't get it. I expected the show to be harping on old fans, but with a lot more self awareness and even a little cynicism, but they seem to be playing the show absolutely straight.

I am genuinely confused and don't want to stirr up shit, but how is this show an 8.5?
>>
Maybe you should go back and re-watch that old Voltron show and see if it's as good as you remember.
>>
>>84371492
Oh, no I'm not saying it's good, it's pretty trashy. However I was assuming they would poke fun at that in a self aware manner. It could have been amazing if they actually did that.
In my eyes Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go! is much more successful at creating a Voltron for the modern day, Legendary Defender.
>>
>>84371438
>I expected the show to be harping on old fans, but with a lot more self awareness and even a little cynicism, but they seem to be playing the show absolutely straight.
Considering how Voltron Force before this nearly killed any further attempts at reviving the franchise, that would've been a really bad idea.
>>
>>84371521
then your opinions are highly disagreeable
>>
>>84371438
It's made by old fans for new fans and themselves, but new fans first.
>>
It's for kids, man. It's a cartoon. It doesn't matter if you don't like something that's not for you.
>>
>>84371438
>but they seem to be playing the show absolutely straight.
How is this bad?

It's a striaght up mecha series. That was the point?

A little cynicism? Are you joking? That the sort of thing that makes reboots shit normally. I'm glad that this took the route of completely embracing what it is and rolling with it.
>>
>>84371438
> I would've preferred a "lol, old cartoons, am I right?" show over an attempt to make a strait-faced mecha cartoon
Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>84371438
Do you like kids in giant robots doing giant robot things?
>>
This reads like you did not actually like Voltron as a kid and expected the new creators to have that same mindset
>>
>>84371807
5/10
>>
>>84371438
Holy shit... you're the guy all of the sardonic jokes in cape-films and reboots are made for.
You actually exist...
>>
>>84371438
It must be aimed at me because I fucking love it and I never watched the old show.
>>
>>84371521

Why would it be amazing? Wouldn't that time be better spent making a well written story?
>>
>>84371848
I would generally agree, but considering the story is currently shit that would have been an improvement.

>>84371824
Not really. I enjoyed it, but I was fucking 7 at the time. I assume a 7 - 10 year old would have a blast with the current Voltron as well, but that's not saying much.

I'm mostly confused how it's a 8.5 show. I don't expect everything to pander to me, but there is nothing that stands out in this show currently.
>>
>>84371438
The show actually references the old show a ton, but via translating the old show's canon/implied lore into actual lore. There's even some stuff in there from Go-Lion, like robeasts being made out of people who win the arena fights; hence Shiro got a robot arm because they were attempting to convert him into a robeast.
>>
>>84371909
>but considering the story is currently shit
Well that's just your opinion loser
>>
>>84371438
>Convoluted
It's extremely straightforward. If anything it's TOO simplistic.
>>
File: 1278806373415.jpg (47 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1278806373415.jpg
47 KB, 400x300
>>84371909
> don't even finish one episode
> I have a full understanding of the show's strengths and weaknesses
Maybe actually give the show a chance before you pass judgement on it. Truthfully, if you do not enjoy it that is fine, and you of course are completely within your principal rights to not watch another second of it. I'm just saying it's poor practice to make claims or implications regarding a show's over-all quality until you've actually watched a decent portion of it. Yes, people do this all the time, but now we're jumping off bridges.
>>
>>84371909

I disagree. Shows been far better than I expected despite minor nitpicks, and I speak as someone who grew up on it. Not to mention that kind of ego stroking humor is rarely done well nine times out of ten and doesn't belong in it.
>>
>>84371995

*grew up on the orginal.
>>
The first episode is the worst because they have to jam so much bad exposition in there. After that, they focus mostly on the characters and it evens out into something pretty fun. I wouldn't give it an 8.5, but in the end it definitely had its moments and was generally enjoyable throughout.
>>
>>84371438
> Who is this show aimed at?
People who are tired of comics/cartoons shaming themselves to try and bring in the normal fags.
>>
>>84371971
Fair enough, I might be a little harsh basing my judgement on the 45 minutes I saw. I'll try to plough through a couple of more episodes if I can. But I really see nothing that makes this stand out from most generic action cartoons.

>>84371961
Contrived is what I meant, sorry.
>>
The princess is a dark elf & Pidge isn't Pidge.
>>
File: image.png (512 KB, 848x469) Image search: [Google]
image.png
512 KB, 848x469
>>84371438
>Wanting self-aware, "clever" writing
Go back to TV Tropes. That is the single worst trend in fiction today.
>>
>>84372068
Dark elves are best elves and Pidge is just a best.
>>
>>84372058
Personal opinion: it didn't get good around episode 3 or 4,and I'd give it like a 7/10 at most.
However, I'm very much looking forward to the second season simply because playing something so fantastical so strait-faced has not been done in so long that it's practically become Novel again.
>>
>>84372084
Never once said it was a bad thing.
>>
File: 1336855569615.jpg (131 KB, 464x332) Image search: [Google]
1336855569615.jpg
131 KB, 464x332
>>84372078
Inclusiveness to normies is the single worst trend in fiction m8.
>>
>>84372138
This^10^9e
>>
>>84371438
I don't think I've ever used this phrase in a more appropriate context.
>>
>>84371438
>>84371521

>wanting le self aware meme parody shows

Nigger you have like fifteen of those running right now. Let us have one honest show that plays things straight without having to rely on godawful 2010 meme irony humor because it's too afraid to do something genuine.
>>
>>84372102
>>84372198
There is a difference between a show being self aware and a parody. You can have a sincere show that subverts expectations and tropes nonetheless, in fact some of the biggest shows right now are exactly that.
>>
>>84371824
Considering what happened with the Thundercats reboot after the pilot, that wouldn't be an unreasonable expectation.
>>
>>84371438
Except it isn't played completely straight, sometimes the characters make jokes about the situation they're in. And that should be enough, really.
Anything more and it would be an "ironic" reboot for jaded hipsters.
>>
>>84372138
>Inclusiveness to normies
What's that supposed to mean?
>>
>>84371438
It's aimed towards fujos, and it's been extremely successful at it, so kudos to them.
>>
>>84372280
>some of the biggest shows right now are exactly that.
Which?
>>
>>84372335
>SU
>WBB
>AT
>>
File: image.jpg (368 KB, 1296x730) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
368 KB, 1296x730
>>84372078
>Is it too late to change the name?
>>
>>84372364

The less like AT the better. Corarn is bad enough in the beginning but improving.
>>
The first episode of the show was a mistake. It's 20 minutes too long and they have the characters act as obnoxious as possible. It's not the best show but it gets a lot better after that.
>>
>>84372534
AT definitely lost it's way after the first 3 seasons, but that does not make what I said wrong.
>>
Might as well throw my two cents in.

Loved the all designs, except for the lions. Animation is good, too. Characters are decent.

My biggest problem with the show is that it's just kind of dull. We never see the galaxy before the Galra took over, and have seen pretty much zero of what it looks like now, so it's hard to really care. The Balmera episodes were the closest we got, and they were the best ones. There were actual stakes.
>>
>>84372475
That actually wasn't in the movie though. All the self-depreciating stuff was in the trailer
>>
>>84371912
I'm an idiot who never realized the whole Go-Lion connection with Shiro and that's awesome
>>
>>84371438

> I expected the show to be harping on old fans, but with a lot more self awareness and even a little cynicism

Maybe I'm odd in this regard, but I'm very much exhausted with that sort of stuff. There are already so many layers of irony, cynicism, and what not in media that it's just tiring to guess what's sincere and what's not. In addition, the concete od doing something "self-consciously" falls right on its face, because at the end of the day, you're still doing it. Why be all smirking and smug about being in a giant robot show? You're still in a giant robot show, and have no intent of being anything BUT a giant robot show.

If anything, I feel the show plays itself too safe, and needs to feel comfortable enough to go full tilt, like how GaoGaiGar hit its stride and went so over the top that it flew beyond the stars.
>>
>>84372319
Mocking the source material and/or genere as a whole to make non-fans feel comfortable reading/watching fiction.
>>
>>84372280
Fortunately V:LD is the latter, so it's all good.
>>
>>84371438
>The character designs are uninteresting, the art is ok at best, the animation is nothing special, the plot is contrived and the diallogue is cheesy as fuck
I know you can only put so much into an OP, but I really hate it when people just list off a bunch of bullshit and back it up with literally nothing. Especially stuff like character design and animation, which most people know nothing about.

>expected the show to be harping on old fans, but with a lot more self awareness and even a little cynicism, but they seem to be playing the show absolutely straight
Congratulations, you've figured out why people like it. They're making the show kids wanted to see back then, but they didn't have the means to create. If I were a kid, Voltron would be the tightest shit I'd ever seen. As an adult, it's enjoyable enough.
>>
Maybe you should kill yourself, OP.
>>
>>84371438

>Who is this show aimed at?

Fujoshits and homolords, if the generals are any indication.

The show itself is pretty nice but fuck the threads.
>>
>>84372280
Being self aware is a lazy way to try and grab and older audience. There's absolutely no finesse or talent that goes into writing glib dialogue of a character being aware of their situation unless your name is KonoSuba. The biggest shows right now are shit like Game of Thrones and Fargo, which take their material completely seriously. Hell, even a comedy like Always Sunny does this as well.
>>
>>84373714
Is it really any different than waifufags who lust over female characters?
>>
>>84371438
hat precisely is confusing about taking the original show's premise and most of it's original characters and expanding on that? The original voltron was a classic hackjob adaptation and even the source matariel (GoLion) was a monster of the week show. Whereas GoLion made up for it with some mildly mature themes Voltron did its best to play things safe.

In the new show we have a decent all ages approach that tries to stick to the original idea of 5 pilots chosen to protect the universe from an evil empire. Decent world building, cool stuff like giant robot lions fighting on their own so the voltron transformation doesn't get stale, and pretty decent animation.

It ain't perfect but it's definetly one of the better action cartoons out there.
>>
>>84373645
I'm sure you, as an accomplished animator with years of experience in character design, can explain to me why Badass Aloof Guy with Scar and Cyborg Arm, Attack on Titan Guy, Cocky Dumb Guy with Heart, Nerdy Kid with Glasses #5337 and Fat Guy that Eats are not cookie cutter designs. While you're at it, tell me how the CGI looks good and most shots that include more than 2 characters aren't static as fuck.
>>
>>84373870
It's only okay when it's things neckbeards like
>>
>>84373908
Why are you still posting about a show you hate for no reason? Hide the thread and go die alone. Freak.
>>
>>84373908
The CGI looks fine, lot better than the shit we got like 5 to ten years ago. Maybe I'm just used to vehicles and monsters being CGI in a traditionally animated show.

How exactly would make the designs 'unique' then anyway genius? All the designs save Shiro are based on the content of the original show. Go too far in creating a unique design and you have a bunch of special snowflakes running around who have no common design sensibility or worse, whose character and role aren't present in their design.

Visual Storytelling is a thing, choosing to take a more conservative stance on design and go with established design trends for character types is not a bad thing.
>>
>>84371438
maybe you just have shit taste.it happens
>>
File: 1466906051106.png (281 KB, 800x1327) Image search: [Google]
1466906051106.png
281 KB, 800x1327
>>84373908

>Badass Aloof Guy with Scar and Cyborg Arm, Attack on Titan Guy

Shiro's way too vulberable, nice and soft to be described as badass and aloof. The one time we really see him act like a tough guy is a deliberate act. He often comes off as more confused and lost, while also being purpose driven.

Despite his stregnth and history, he gives off the sense that he needs to be protected, which I think is why fujoshi gush themselves over him. He's "moe".
>>
>this narcissist can't understand that something exists in a way he didn't approve of
>>
>>84371438
>I have fond memories of "Literally Every Episode is the Same - The Series
>But the new series actually has things happen and doesn't blow its load in the first episode, I hate that!

Either you have ADHD something fierce, your nostalgia is fucking with you, or you have shit taste. Possibly all three.
>>
>>84371521
It's like you just said: we've had shows taking the piss on Voltron for

Thirty.
Fucking.
Years.

What's the point of doing it yet again? Why do something that's been done to death when there's only a handful of legitimate Mecha cartoons?
>>
>>84373908
> Themes = designs
more breaking news at 11

I, for one, prefer the more viable designs on their casual attire; v.s. the all too common three belts and twenty accessories approach to "interesting" character design.
>>
>>84371438
people who want an action show
such a demographic couldn't be catered to on normal television anymore for various reasons but that's really the beauty of Netflix
>>
>>84371521
>Wanting an entire show to be tongue-in-cheek
Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.
>>
>>84371912
I watched the season last night and I feel like Shiro's story HAS to also be a shout out to the canned Gladiator Voltron.
>>
>>84373908
Because Keith, Lance and Hunk don't look like they are literally just Ryoma, Hayato and Benkei anymore, nor do they look exceedingly generic. They have clear influences, but are distinct.
>>
>>84373908
Nigga that shit is rock-solid; the designs and the innitial group-establishing shot.
Shiro
> white bangs relate to a traumatic experience
> isloated arms via vest and tonal difference convey a strong-armed/proactive attitude
> being the most neutralized/colorless of the five conveys that he is the most jaded/desensitized, and/or that he's lost something in life
Lance
> Comparable to Shiro in both design and attitude (hence they're standing next to each other in the first group shot)
> younger/less experienced = solid black/messy hair, shorter
> hotblooded and reckless = bright red coat
Lance/Pidge/Hunk
> more closely related to each other than Shiro and Lance are to anyone; hence they're literally overlapping, but Lance (who is also from the academy), but Lance only just overlaps Keith sense they've got some backstory
Lance
> Lazy and cavalier; very causal attire covered in an enveloping coat to hide how litle he cares
> Hair's short because he can't be bothered to groom it, but it's also fraying because he can't be bothered to get it cut
> he's also the only one with out any equipment or pouches and looking off to the side in disinterest
Hunk
> Big strong guy, so he' sbig and strong and wears a headband
> Vest looks like armor and is a vest, to further accentuate his tough-guy exterior
> The shirt he wears underneath siad vest doesn't reach his hands or mesh with his pants/belt, so he's a big sloppy guy underneath, but wants to help out
> Face shows concern as he reads Pidge's readouts; keeping tabs on his friends and an eye out for trouble
Pidge
> Up front, brightest colors, most gear, shortest (and youngest)
> Actively seeking out the adventure

> "OH, but the tech guy needs to have googles and a pocket protector, and why doesn't the fat guy have food on him, and why doesn't the hot-blooded guy always have a sword on display to show he's ready for action!"
Because subtlety nigga.
>>
>>84371438
>Who is this show aimed at?
people like me who find pidge hot as fuck
>>
>>84374839
It's going to hurt like a son of a bitch when Shiro dies and Keith has to take his place as head paladin
>>
>>84371438
It's aimed at kids and adult spergs like most of us who love giant robots and anime.

What is so fucking hard to get about that.
>>
>>84375046
You forgot the clasps on Shiro's collar look like the black lion's eyes
>>
>>84375067
>Shiro dies and Keith takes over
When will this meme end?
>>
>>84375094
Technically Keith's jacket is similar. Though the color shade is much lighter.
>>
>>84371438
you realize that what you are saying you want is basically what Nickelodeon's version of Voltron was and nobody liked it, also Voltron has never been that big, is important for the new series to be good on its own without referencing the past series.
Also if the first episode didn't spark your intrigue to watch the rest, then clearly you are missing point.
>>
>>84372058
how many action cartoon are out there right now anyway? everything nowadays has to be comedies, also because something is formulaic doesn't mean it can't be good.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.