[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't read many comics, and I've been interested
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: logo[2].png (2 KB, 103x103) Image search: [Google]
logo[2].png
2 KB, 103x103
I don't read many comics, and I've been interested in reading DC stuff. What series should I start with? Character/timeline/whatever, I don't know. Just give me some good beginner suggestions.
>>
>>84365306
Bro there's decades of history, you have to narrow it down at least a little.
>>
>>84365328
I don't know where the narrowing begins and ends. Gimme either the best shit DC has to offer, or stuff that can ease me in to what's current.
>>
>>84365382
If you want current read Rebirth, it's happening now.
>>
>>84365382
It'd be easier if you at least told us a character you're interested in.
>>
>>84365306
if you're not set on a single character/arc/team then we can go by art style: how "old" are you willing to go?
>>
>>84365453
I want to fuck terry mcginnis.
So let's just say batman.
>>
>>84365416
all of rebirth is pretty iffy, GA is fine though
>>
>>84365475
you ever watch the cartoons/series/movies? because if you have, telling which is your favorite is a start so we can tell you what comic it is closest to or inspired in.
>>
>>84365306
Batman is usually the gateway drug into the DC universe. Start with reading a few of his books and ease your way into it.
>>
>>84365475
Okay, Batman. The generally agreed-upon point to start at is Batman: Year One. It's the archetypal Batman origin story, and it's just as much about Commissioner Gordon as it is about Bruce.

If you want something more modern, try Batman: The Court of Owls and go forward from there.
>>
>>84365535
I'll give this one a shot.
>>
Rebirth is simple to follow. The biweeklies are all readable so far, so it's just a matter of finding something you like.

If you want to go to older stuff, I suppose a simple tip would be to follow the best creators and see what they've done.

A simple, condensed list (of just writers because fuck you) would be:

== Present ==
* Tom King
* Steve Orlando
* Keith Giffen and JM DeMatteis (also great in the past -- see the recent JSA Storytimes for their work on Justice League International)

== Recent Past ==
* Geoff Johns
* Grant Morrison
* Jeph Loeb
* Neil Gaiman
* James Robinson

== Past ==
* Alan Moore
* Mike Grell
* Dennis O'Neil
* John Ostrander
* Doug Moench
* Frank Miller
* Mike Barr
* Elliot S Maggin
>>
>>84365306
If you want current stuff then read DC Universe Rebirth. The go from there to whatever book you want.
>>
>>84365841
>James Robinson

Literally one of the worst writers ever.
>>
>>84365306
If you want to read Batman check these out:

Batman Year One
The Long Halloween
Dark Victory
Grant Morrison's run
The Dark Knight Returns
Dark Knight III
Dark Knight - The Last Crusade
>>
File: superman-modern-essentials.jpg (579 KB, 1102x1442) Image search: [Google]
superman-modern-essentials.jpg
579 KB, 1102x1442
For Superman check out this list plus these:

Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes
Escape From Bizarro World
For The Man Who Has Everything
Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow
Jungle Line (from DC Comics Presents #85)
Hitman #34
JLA/Hitman
Superman & Batman - World's Funnest
Final Crisis - Superman Beyond 3D
Dark Knight III
>>
For general DC recs check out these:

JSA
JLA #1-90
Geoff Johns' Green Lantern
Flash v2
Hitman
John Ostrander's Suicide Squad
John Ostrander's Spectre
Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol
Grant Morrison's Animal Man
Kingdom Come
Alan Moore's Swamp Thing
Mike Grell's Green Arrow
Giffen/DeMatteis/Maguire's JLI
>>
>>84366182
Also add The Killing Joke to this.
>>
>>84366088

Starman and JSA: The Golden Age are legitimately fantastic, but yeah other than that his stuff hasn't been that outstanding.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.